Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

just one more thought: for all the folks who are feeling crummy, or wondering when they'll start feeling better, there is an awesome 'whole 30 timeline' post on their blog... you can just google it. I found it/find it to be rather spot on, and it helps to know that it's normal to feel worse before you feel better, plus it pegs (in my opinion) some of the emotional roller coaster stuff too.

Thank you!

Here is the link for those that are lazy ;)

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I loaned my book out to a friend, so I wasn't able to refer back to it to find out why I still feel like a potato.  

I'm on day 9 and still feel sluggish and all I want is to take a nap.  And my pants that I grabbed off my floor today are tight!  LOL.  I'm glad to read that this is normal for this stage of the Whole30.  The entire timeline so far has been bang on for me.

I honestly thought that I'd have to do a Whole60 just to start to feel better, because my eating habits were SO BAD!  Sugar, sugar, more sugar, deepfried food, and more sugar after that.... was my typical day.

I can't wait for my body to adjust and to start feeling great.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 and staying strong.  I am starting to see and old (5 months) allergy in my face to start fading yay!!! I need the positive feedback. Appt on Monday w/urologist, not feeling that great in that area but in denial to give up and admit to feel bad. I am doing GREAT, I am in WONDERFUL Health!I am happy.

Have the best weekend.  School day for me tomorrow, so most likely will reconnect Sunday or next Monday.

Let's stay strong. We got this!

M1 - BPC 2 Cups

M2 - Salmon, Avocado and steamed veggies

M3 - Tuna Cake or Croquette per LeaC recipe + Broccoli

Hi NannyD I'm so sorry to hear about infection!! It's perfectly OK to say "I hurt". We can still keep perspective while admitting that this is a rough spot. That's what I tell myself - ok this hurts a bit, rough day that's all, just a day. No need to wallow. Just listen with an adult ear to the part that hurts and say "I hear you, Love. Just know there will be an end to this hurt. It's just a day. HUGS." So Hugs to you, NannyD. :)

Thank you!

Here is the link for those that are lazy ;)

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I loaned my book out to a friend, so I wasn't able to refer back to it to find out why I still feel like a potato.  

I'm on day 9 and still feel sluggish and all I want is to take a nap.  And my pants that I grabbed off my floor today are tight!  LOL.  I'm glad to read that this is normal for this stage of the Whole30.  The entire timeline so far has been bang on for me.

I honestly thought that I'd have to do a Whole60 just to start to feel better, because my eating habits were SO BAD!  Sugar, sugar, more sugar, deepfried food, and more sugar after that.... was my typical day.

I can't wait for my body to adjust and to start feeling great.

Hi PoukieBear -- how late are you eating at night? I found that if I eat fairly late at night - after 8 - I feel pretty gloopy the rest of the evening with sluggish waking up the next morning and into the day. Am working on staying on track with new clear line of no eating after 8 p.m.. Ideally, 7:30 but that is not realistic at this time. And if I do eat after 8, then some sort of low impact exercise, like a 20-30 min fast-walk does the trick. Dunno if that helps but keep on! One day at a time - buy yourself a bouquet of flowers for sticking with it. :)

• Administrators

Kelly2015 - That zappy feeling sounds a lot like what happens when a person comes off of an SSRI anti depressant. Without prying too much, are you reducing or changing any medication you're taking?  Maybe try eating more starchy veggies such as sweet potato, rutabaga, winter squash etc.  They will naturally boost your serotonin just in case you are having some sort of hormonal reaction to the change in diet.  Were you really carb heavy prior to Whole30?  For your meals, just a banana with tea is not enough food, my friend.  Protein, veggies and fat at every meal is a strong recommendation and will go a long ways towards helping you feel better.  Check the meal template if you haven't: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

leaC: getting a cold sore could be simply because while your body is adjusting to your new inputs your immune system is otherwise occupied.  I suffer with them too and have noticed a HUGE decrease in frequency since my first Whole30.  Get something on it!

Good morning day 9!  I'm having a delicious homemade chicken soup for breakfast, 4 hours after getting up.  I'm not a fan of carrots but julienned in the soup with zucchini is tasting good.  I heated it up while doing morning chores but ran out of time before work so I'm eating it at my desk.  Could be worse - I could have skipped it entirely like I've done for years.  Brain is still feeling a little stoned but body is ready for some exercise as soon as I figure out how to fit that in.  Hoping a big weekend of food prep will allow me to go to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and exercise and eat and do chores and still get to work on time. 

Today's plan:

M1: chicken veggie soup

M2: roast beef, raw zucchini, avocado

M3: probably fish since I forgot to thaw any meat, collards, sweet potato, roasted cauliflower

Question:  does anyone have recommendations for an immersion blender or adjustable mandolin?

Hey everyone!

I'm really enjoying reading all your posts - they help me to stay strong.

So, it's day 9 and the only thing I'm REALLY missing is red wine....and the habit/ritual of getting the children to bed and therefore ending my working day as mum/nurse/cook/entertainer/cleaner/cook/etc.....then opening the wine - that pleasing pop when the cork comes out, pouring a glass for myself and my husband and that first delicious sip....and relax....aaaahhhh.....but, I'm being strong against this overwhelming urge even though at times I'd happily trade in both of my kids for a good French vintage!

Food wise, I'm doing OK....sticking to 3 good meals a day and not going mental with cravings over anything specific....though it is strange to have that slightly hungry feeling just before my next meal. I think I've overeaten for so long that I forgot what actual hunger was. I'm talking healthy hunger - my body saying 'lets eat something good soon' not 'I need that cake/chocolate/cookie' hedonistic hunger. So, I'm happy that the sugar dragon hasn't found me.....just really need to slay the booze beast!

My energy levels are pretty good - I rocked a 45 minute run this morning after black coffee and boiled eggs!!!

My mood is more stable - I have more patience with the kids, I'm more affectionate with my husband and generally nicer to be around!!!

So, it's going well so far.....and I REALLY want (and need) to do the whole 30 days. I know what it feels like to give up and give in having caved on my 2 previous whole 30 attempts....I want to know what success feels like!!!! I NEED this win.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!!!

Maria

Hi guys!

I have had a pretty successful week so far, basically just eating what I made on Sunday--a normal day looks like this for me:

meal 1) egg fritatta with crab, spinach, and onion, with some nuts!

meal 2)chili (turkey, beef, onion, peppers, carrots,tomatoes etc) with salad

meal 3) some type of veggie noodles, cooked in coconut oil with chicken and compliant pasta sauce with even more veggies

hmmm...definitely need some more fat in there so I've been using some coconut cream just as an easy way to stir it in sauces etc, except its so delicious its a food without brakes for me! Also, super yummy salted nuts are a no go cuz I just can't help myself, same with almond butter! I'm doing this whole 30 sans trail mix nuts assortments or almond butter, and definitely need to add more avocado to my meals.

Does anyone else have some crazy food without brakes??

Hope all is well with everybody! Happy whole30ing!

It is amazing how accurate the whole30 timeline is.  Felt a bit better (magic) yesterday, but today I guess my "gut is in repair."  And that's okay, I'm happy about that.  Just interesting that the timeline outlines the symptoms I'm feeling so accurately.  The timeline says that Day 10 and 11 are when most people quit the Whole30 for various reasons - but I can tell you right now - THAT WILL NOT BE ME!  There's no thoughts in my mind or body even close to that.  Positive attitude heading into the weekend!!

Hello,

Checking in.  I'm still here on day 9 of the whole30.  I've enjoyed all your posts.  I'm looking forward to trying some of the meal ideas that I've read about in your posts.  I had a couple of emotional days lately.  I wonder if instead of wanting to kill all things, I wanted to boo hoo about my lot in life.  (my husband is sick, 3 small kids, no support at home..etc)  I'm ususally pretty positive, and I do feel better.  It could just be hormones too...  Didn't know if anyone else experienced extreme sadness instead of wanting to kill all things...? 

Today  M1 sauteed Kale and carrots, 3 fried eggs, black coffee

M2  banana and almond butter  (I guess more like a snack)

M3  collards, ground turkey, coconut aminos

Dinner isn't decided yet....   I have chicken broth cooking in crock pot.  I may do something with that.  I don't get home till late tonight, so dinner may be a bunless burger wrapped in lettuce.  (oops here is where there should be a plan in place... right??)    I hope to get to Trader Joes tonight.. we'll see.

My pants were tight today too!!  I remembered the time line and checked to see if I'm on target.  Looks like it!! 

Have a great weekend!!

Kristina

• Administrators

Hi Kristina, for sure being extra emotional instead of crabby/angry could be how your body is experiencing this change over.

Overall I think you're not eating enough and in order to feel as good as you can during this transition, I recommend following the template as closely as you can.  Having only a banana and almond butter is a sugar and fat loaded snack that will, unfortunately, just contribute to the ups and downs that your blood sugar (and subsequently your emotions) experience.

You could probably also do to increase your starchy veggies to at least a serving once a day (sweet potato, white potato, winter squash, rutabaga, turnip, carrot, beet etc). 

Thanks, Chris, for the IB recommendation!  [thought I had quoted but guess not....]

Well, I'm kind of going back and forth between kill all things and getting weepy.  How annoying.  Thought I was supposed to be past that stage.  My skin had been breaking out but it's getting smooth again.  The gastro excitement seems to be behind me - I hope!

Have a great weekend everyone and keep up the great work!

Hi PoukieBear -- how late are you eating at night? I found that if I eat fairly late at night - after 8 - I feel pretty gloopy the rest of the evening with sluggish waking up the next morning and into the day. Am working on staying on track with new clear line of no eating after 8 p.m.. Ideally, 7:30 but that is not realistic at this time. And if I do eat after 8, then some sort of low impact exercise, like a 20-30 min fast-walk does the trick. Dunno if that helps but keep on! One day at a time - buy yourself a bouquet of flowers for sticking with it. :)

I'm not eating late, usually around 6:00.  Any later than that and I get Hangry (Hungry=Angry) and my husband is always my victim.  

We used to eat again around 9:00 when we started to get hungry...but I've quit that and have started going to bed instead. :)  

I'm pretty sure one or two....ummm...bathroom breaks will help me feel better.  Right now nothing is moving.

Ok, so mini-victory.  I was in court all day yesterday (as the prosecutor, not the defendant, don't worry) and even though my paralegals brought donuts for us to eat during breaks, I didn't touch a single one.  I also had them get me a plain salad with chicken from the deli, no dressing, no "fun stuff", for lunch when we ended up having to work all the way through lunch with only a short break.  I also didn't accept any of my co-counsel's reese's cups. 

It was a rough case, too.  Awful facts.  So the fact that I didn't go home and go face down into a pizza and a bottle of wine is pretty darn cool!

leaC: getting a cold sore could be simply because while your body is adjusting to your new inputs your immune system is otherwise occupied.  I suffer with them too and have noticed a HUGE decrease in frequency since my first Whole30.  Get something on it!

Thanks ladyshanny, I thought I'd tackle my cold sore early and reluctantly applied some cream that I had. I will also take praxisproject's advice and by some Lysene (amino acid). I used to take these tablets when I was younger and living life on the edge (aka hectic/irresponsible lifestyle). It helped keep away coldsores and strengthened my nails so can't hurt?! I imagine after my Whole30 adventure I will too see a decrease in these...

Hey everyone!

I'm really enjoying reading all your posts - they help me to stay strong.

So, it's day 9 and the only thing I'm REALLY missing is red wine....and the habit/ritual of getting the children to bed and therefore ending my working day as mum/nurse/cook/entertainer/cleaner/cook/etc.....then opening the wine - that pleasing pop when the cork comes out, pouring a glass for myself and my husband and that first delicious sip....and relax....aaaahhhh.....but, I'm being strong against this overwhelming urge even though at times I'd happily trade in both of my kids for a good French vintage!

So, it's going well so far.....and I REALLY want (and need) to do the whole 30 days. I know what it feels like to give up and give in having caved on my 2 previous whole 30 attempts....I want to know what success feels like!!!! I NEED this win.

Maria, if you've read my posts you KNOW I understand you...I mention 'wine' in quite a few of them - LOL! (Where's the 'boozy' emiticon???) I find that focusing on being successful at something (like proving to myself and others that I can complete a Whole30) is inspiration enough for me, it takes my mind off giving in to temptation of old habits. Not only that, it adresses your paragraph about winning this time around. We're all pretty much in the same boat or we wouldn't be here and updating 'daily' on this forum, supporting each other. Keep going, we're all in the race together (and it doesn't end at Day 30!)

Hello,

Checking in.  I'm still here on day 9 of the whole30.  I've enjoyed all your posts.  I'm looking forward to trying some of the meal ideas that I've read about in your posts.  I had a couple of emotional days lately.  I wonder if instead of wanting to kill all things, I wanted to boo hoo about my lot in life.  (my husband is sick, 3 small kids, no support at home..etc)  I'm ususally pretty positive, and I do feel better.  It could just be hormones too...  Didn't know if anyone else experienced extreme sadness instead of wanting to kill all things...? 

My pants were tight today too!!  I remembered the time line and checked to see if I'm on target.  Looks like it!! 

Hey Kristina, I haven't felt emotional (yet), but that's not to say hundreds of other people doing this don't feel that way...to be honest I haven't covered off many of the negative milestones on the timeline so I was wondering what I was doing wrong??!! What I DO know is that this whole journey is about self confidence and like you said - you're still on target, so you haven't given up and things can only get better from here! Have a cry, you will feel better. A lot of us a also juggling family/work and Whole30 so we understand it's just another thing to have to think about in an ever growing list of daily tasks. I'm hoping this will become a lifestyle for me! xx <3

..............................................................***.................................................................***...............................................................***.................................. 

Am heading off to the farmers markets this morning to buy some amazing Kombucha - so excited!!! I haven't had it in ages because I thought it was too high in sugar, but as has been pointed out to me, the sugar is added prior to the fermentation and is OK!

Hey all, I've been reading along but finally breaking the silence. Hubby and I are on day 9 (woo hoo!). I can definitely see why day 10 is the danger zone for leaving Whole30. The first 5 days I felt fantastic. The last 4... not so much. Lots of digestive distress. Trying to up the fats (I've been eating mostly lean meat, and was eating whole fat yogurt and peanut butter nearly everyday before now) and also adding some fermented foods. I'm also avoiding raw veggies. Husband feels fine (no magic yet though). I think things are getting better. Here are the last few days- please pitch in if you see something off:

Day 6

-Meal 1: Pork sausages with sautéed cabbage and grapes

-Meal 2: Salad with coconut chicken, cucumber, broccoli, snap peas, orange slices, and avocado lime OO dressing

-Meal 3: Turkey ginger cups (ground turkey, carrot, ginger, and celery cooked in coconut oil) with green pepper slices and olives

Day 7

-Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with pork sausage and carrot + parsnip mash

-Meal 2: Sautéed cabbage and meatloaf, and celery and grapes with sunbutter

-Meal 3: Roast turkey, butternut squash, carrot, Brussels sprouts, celery and onion

Day 8

-Meal 1: half a savory blueberry frittata with carrot and parsnip mash

-Meal 2: chicken piccatta and steamed broccoli and snap peas over spinach

-Meal 3: a total mishmash of leftovers of pretty much everything above

If things don't improve with these tweaks I cannot consider this sustainable for me for 3 more weeks.

Hubs is traveling all week next week (unplanned) and is so nervous about what to eat.

Hey all, I've been reading along but finally breaking the silence. Hubby and I are on day 9 (woo hoo!). I can definitely see why day 10 is the danger zone for leaving Whole30. The first 5 days I felt fantastic. The last 4... not so much. Lots of digestive distress. Trying to up the fats (I've been eating mostly lean meat, and was eating whole fat yogurt and peanut butter nearly everyday before now) and also adding some fermented foods. I'm also avoiding raw veggies. Husband feels fine (no magic yet though). I think things are getting better. Here are the last few days- please pitch in if you see something off:

Day 6

-Meal 1: Pork sausages with sautéed cabbage and grapes

-Meal 2: Salad with coconut chicken, cucumber, broccoli, snap peas, orange slices, and avocado lime OO dressing

-Meal 3: Turkey ginger cups (ground turkey, carrot, ginger, and celery cooked in coconut oil) with green pepper slices and olives

Day 7

-Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with pork sausage and carrot + parsnip mash

-Meal 2: Sautéed cabbage and meatloaf, and celery and grapes with sunbutter

-Meal 3: Roast turkey, butternut squash, carrot, Brussels sprouts, celery and onion

Day 8

-Meal 1: half a savory blueberry frittata with carrot and parsnip mash

-Meal 2: chicken piccatta and steamed broccoli and snap peas over spinach

-Meal 3: a total mishmash of leftovers of pretty much everything above

If things don't improve with these tweaks I cannot consider this sustainable for me for 3 more weeks.

Hubs is traveling all week next week (unplanned) and is so nervous about what to eat.

Cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli can cause digestive distress for some. Maybe try dropping those for a few days and see if you feel better?

Tomorrow will be another crazy day, no time to post, so here's todays summary:

M1 4 eggs and cauliflower

M2 LARGE spinach salad with roast beef and sweet peppers, oil and vinegar

M3 lots of dates, and almond butter (yes-I know, this is not a meal. Working on it. 2 out of 3 is improvement though)

Most awesome thing: After just the egg breakfast, I went for a gnarly ride, short mileage, very intense climbing and I pretty much rocked it. No dead legs, steady energy, if I had gone beyond the hour I would have needed something to eat, but I wasn't shaky or starving afterwards.

Most interesting thing: even though by Friday I'm always pretty sleep deprived (we get up super early, and though we try to get to bed on time, kids events etc. never seem to allow it) my energy was above average all day today, UNTIL my high sugar "dinner" of dates/almond butter. After that, I felt very sleepy and have continued to most of the evening. That's super interesting, and really bears out the W30 premise.

Tomorrow will be another crazy schedule day. My goal is to bring some 'compliant' food to the lunch potluck we're going to, and have something planned for dinner in the crockpot so we have a meal at dinner time when we're briefly home before we leave again...

Tomorrow is my official day 7. One of the recommendations I saw was to make 'SMART' goals. My goals for this whole 30 are

- Post daily-probably one of the most helpful things I can do.

- Plan meals ahead

- Get some outdoor exercise of some sort almost every day

Day 9. Feeling a little better today.

I am normally not very hungry when I get up in the morning. Today, however I did eat a larger breakfast then normal. Then went to lunch with a couple of friends, we all have cabin fever something terrible.

I want to thank ladyshanny and praxisproject for taking the time to help me with my issues (zappy brain). I will be following up on your advice. Thank you.

M1 venison heart and sweet potatoes. Greentea and ginger.

M2 oriental chicken salad with balsamic vinegar and black tea with lemon.

M3 turkey breast, broccoli and half a jicama.

Proud of my self for not eating the breadstick at lunch. I saved it for my dogs.

Have a great night!

Archived