Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hiya!! 

I had a hard weekend on Friday and Saturday. I went on a work trip with out team and the only restaurants we went to for two days are chipotle (they were out of carnitas, so I ate some Guac thinking that I could go to Whole foods later, ended up being closed) a hotel breakfast, a pizza/pasta place for lunch, and a sandwich day for another lunch. 

I packed ahead thinking that I could get two things to eat at chipotle and only needed to bring one meal. I brought some leftover chili, carrots, apples. Oh my gosh there was a limited amount of things that I could eat. By the end of the day saturday I came home and had survived on lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and fruit for about 24 hours. However, I came home and made the most delicious turkey burger with a fried egg, lettuce, grilled peppers and onions, sweet potatoes and mustard. It must have been how absolutely starving I was but it was delicious! We are going on the same trip (friday to saturday) and I will make sure that I pack so much extra that I won't go too long without eating again!

Also, I hope everyone is going to enjoy the National Championship football game tonight with whole30 foods (if anyone is even watching it :))) I hope everyone is super excited to be over 1/3 of the way done and feeling the most amazing benefits already. 

Have fun!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12! This seems to be going by quickly. I'm shocked by how little my sugar dragon has had to say, and I'm wondering if*I* was the dragon, indulging in a sweetened yogurt everyday at 10 and a sweet treat after dinner every day. My 10am craving was there the first few days but it has been very mild and slipping closer and closer to lunch time when I'm actually hungry. I feel good, but I don't think it's tiger blood yet, just like a good day as my regular. I am knocking on wood, haven't had a migraine or headache since I started and I just passed through the time of month that they usually plague me. TMI warning I started spotting a few days before my period, which was very annoying. Hopefully that sorts itself out quickly, I should have expected it.
Hubby is on his first trip out of two or three this week, for him to pass up a drink before flying is a big deal, poor thing.
So I'm not expecting that all my crummy symptoms should vanish overnight, but I'm a little concerned that I'm still eating something that's not sitting right with me. The Knuckles on my right hand are swollen, especially the pointer, which is also covered in a painful blisterlike rash. I've had a similar rash under my nose for a few months, gets better gets worse, it was all but gone day 5 and then came back. Pondering trying the aip protocol, maybe after this 30 days is done. The whole point for me is that my doctor says I'm eating something I'm intollerant to, so I would be disappointed not to figure out what that is through this process

• Administrators

Hi Sunsoakeddreamer!  For sure your habits previously were keeping your Sugar Dragon thinking he was a welcome guest.  When there's nothing left for them, they tend to skulk away.  Beware though, he'll be back at a moment's notice if you invite him!

Changes in menstruation and cycle are pretty normal as your hormones balance out.  Many women notice that they get an improvement by the next cycle.

For the swelling in your knuckles and your rash, it sounds so very similar to what my sister experienced before she realized that the coconut milk in her latte at Whole Foods every day had been switched with a carton variety that contained carrageenan.  Maybe if you are consuming coconut or almond milk, just take a quick peek at the ingredients list again?  Might not have anything to do with it but thought I would put that out there.

Drinking water can help with swelling as well, half an ounce per pound of bodyweight is our recommendation.

Sunsoakeddreamer! - Are you keeping a food log? Maybe whatever you were eating before Day 5 was missing the trigger?

For those thinking of Lara bars, buy the flavour you like least, so it's less tempting. We have different brands here in Australia and one local one is made with walnuts and really really dry and crumbly. I have to be really hungry to want to eat it lol I try to keep bars for things like flying, or if I get caught short somewhere, trying to eat out (sometimes knowing I have it, makes it easier to be fussy about eating out as I know I have a fall back plan).

If you can keep a serve of coconut butter with your bar, it's good to reduce the impact of all those dates with some fat.

Kelly2015: I've never heard of sugar being used as a preservative.  In the case of bacon, I think it makes it crispier, just like the sugar in McD's french fries.  Otherwise it's added to make the food tastier and more addictive I assume.

Thanks, bronnyd!  I'm cooking for 3 adults so need to have lots on hand.  My husband and son aren't doing w30, but if I cook dinner before they do they are :)  And if I do my usual quick thaw and sautee, we all get bored with it.

Speaking of, Sunday evening hubby brought home beer and son baked bread - and I was only slightly tempted!

Still feeling under-energized and bloated.  Hope that ends soon.  It would help if I could get to bed before midnight.

Congrats to everyone making it past the dreaded days 10 & 11!

@ladyshanny- I'll double check, worth a look. Right on cue after I posted about sugar I walked into the office and someone had gone for an ice cream run... I wanted to run away but I was frozen there hearing the descriptions of all the Sundaes, I'll spare you the details. Been stewing at my desk ever since, unwilling to give In by eating the banana in my lunch box. I can do this

@praxisproject - one thing I know I did not have those first few days and have had everyday since is clarified butter- I'll try a 3 day test... Maybe some milk proteins snuck through

• Administrators

Sunsoaked ~ If you are hungry and all that is left is a banana, eat the banana!  We don't recommend fruit on its own normally but it is a Whole30 choice and it could be the difference between you being compliant and you being so hungry you eat something non compliant because your defences are down.  You'll plan and pack more tomorrow so for today, just do what you can with what you have (banana) until you can get home and make dinner.  There are no awards for "suffered the most".  ;)

Good job on refusing the ice cream run though!  :)

Larabars, as long as the ingredients are compliant, are Whole30 compliant but for emergency use only. However, I can tell you from personal experience, you will be much better off not having them. If you are hungry between meals and need something, try to have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. Larabars will keep your sugar dragon going strong. If I eat one, I crave more and more of them. I cannot keep them in the house or my brain convinces me that "I don't feel like cooking" is an emergency worthy of having one.

Here's the official word on Larabars from the Can I Have list:

Thank you Shannon

I'm seeing how SNEAKY my thinking is - right after committing to no fruit/nuts, I then see a post about larabars and I KNOW they are made of fruit and nuts. So Why even go there? whywhywhy? 

Sheesh.

Day 12! This seems to be going by quickly. I'm shocked by how little my sugar dragon has had to say, and I'm wondering if*I* was the dragon, indulging in a sweetened yogurt everyday at 10 and a sweet treat after dinner every day. My 10am craving was there the first few days but it has been very mild and slipping closer and closer to lunch time when I'm actually hungry. I feel good, but I don't think it's tiger blood yet, just like a good day as my regular. I am knocking on wood, haven't had a migraine or headache since I started and I just passed through the time of month that they usually plague me. TMI warning I started spotting a few days before my period, which was very annoying. Hopefully that sorts itself out quickly, I should have expected it.

Hubby is on his first trip out of two or three this week, for him to pass up a drink before flying is a big deal, poor thing.

So I'm not expecting that all my crummy symptoms should vanish overnight, but I'm a little concerned that I'm still eating something that's not sitting right with me. The Knuckles on my right hand are swollen, especially the pointer, which is also covered in a painful blisterlike rash. I've had a similar rash under my nose for a few months, gets better gets worse, it was all but gone day 5 and then came back. Pondering trying the aip protocol, maybe after this 30 days is done. The whole point for me is that my doctor says I'm eating something I'm important to, so I would be disappointed not to figure out what that is through this process

Sugar dragon - I like! That's egg-zactly what it is. My sugar dragon in rearing her little head a bit today. What up?? 

Probably from deleting all fruit for time being. Ms sugar dragon isn't liking it very much. :)

The only reason you would have to restart would be if you ate something that is not in the plan. The meal template is a strong recommendation to ensure the most success....but eating chicken without veggies alongside is not a start-over situation.

Thank you! I didn't want to add days but if I needed to I was going to. That being said I don't find this plan over the top hard...I was worried because so many people say it's extreme paleo. I had never done anything close to paleo so I didn't know what to expect. :)

I bet that would be an interesting discussion. Funnily enough, this is the first whole30 I've done where I've told anyone in real life apart from hubby and one paleo friend that I'm doing it, so that's kind of weird, and interesting at the same time

Had to chuckle since this is the first "anything" I've told anyone about...I've tried different plans/diets but never told anyone outside my husband and kids.

The more I've talked to my son about it the more questions he asks about it. He struggles with allergies, mild ADD and anxiety. We also just found out he has 2" difference in his legs because of the tension in his back so he is starting PT this week to hopefully correct that and help ease the joint pain he has...crossing my fingers he'll at least try one round of Whole30 which I think could really help him.

Dang...I forgot that we were posting meals. I will do that tonight (for today).

I know a few people have mentioned thay are still feeling kinda cruddy, is that normal this far into it?  I have to admit I'm right there with them, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm eating or the fibromyalgia. Just have to keep at this and see what type of changes I have in 30 days. ;) 

Sunsoaked ~ If you are hungry and all that is left is a banana, eat the banana!  We don't recommend fruit on its own normally but it is a Whole30 choice and it could be the difference between you being compliant and you being so hungry you eat something non compliant because your defences are down.  You'll plan and pack more tomorrow so for today, just do what you can with what you have (banana) until you can get home and make dinner.  There are no awards for "suffered the most".  ;)

Good job on refusing the ice cream run though!  :)

I've been avoiding fruit when I'm wanting something sweet, I thought I'd read that that could spell trouble for taming the sugar cravings. My test is, would I eat a hard boiled egg right now? Usually the answer is no, but usually if the answer is yes I have one ready to go. This afternoon I would not have eaten the egg, I just really wanted that damn ice cream! Ended up having the banana with some sunbutter when I got home to hold me over to dinner, but it was well after the ice cream cravings had passed

Hi Everyone!

Well I'm into my 2nd day back at work and surprise, surprise - I didn't get a chance to post yesterday (probably much to everyone's relief)! I still had an upset stomach yesterday and ended up making chicken & veggie soup from the stock/chicken I slow cooked the day before. Everyone else had quick, easy, unhealthy oven baked food :( and I felt slightly guilty but didn't have the energy to go to any great lengths for them sadly...

Whilst up until the last couple of days my belly had felt miraculously flatter/less bloated, since not feeling great of late I have noticed a bit more bloat.

I couldn't put my finger on what would be the cause. I hadn't really eaten anything all that different to usual, but walking to work this morning, it dawned on me that I started to feel 'off' after I started taking Lysine tablets (see ladyshanny's warning below).

Hey leaC, my sister swears by the lysine tablets.  I got such extreme stomach pain when I took them that I almost ended up in the hospital.  :(

Will stop taking the tablets and see how I go!

Half way through day 13 now - it isn't all that hard really, is it?! I do though think my earlier success was due to being on holidays ie: having more time for prep.

Best wishes to everyone out there. xx

Day 12. Went to Barns and Noble today and bought the cook book Well Fed. Tomorrow looking forward to having a nice meal. While at Barns and Noble I wanted a chai latte so bad. I realized that is my habit, buy a latte and look through all the beautiful books. So, I just bought the book I went there for and left. No latte.

M1 2 eggs, Brussels sprouts, and half a avocado.

M2 lettuce with lemon juice and pineapple. We went to a Chinese buffet and that's all I could find to eat.

M3 turkey, tomatoes and white potatoes.

Exercise, kickboxing.

I can't believe I made it 12 days.

Congratulations everyone. Keep on plugging along.

Hullo again - so it's the end of the day and I'm home from work. Ate a nice dinner of hbegg, warmed in microwave with lamb and bacon, basil, garlic, ginger, a little carrot and eggplant. Very tasty. Less than what I would eat at home, but enough.

M1 was bone broth with kale

M2 large kale salad with bacon, hbegg, carrot, 1/4cup nuts, a sprinkling of pumpkin seads, 1/2 avo, T OO and lemon. Salt. Also 1/2 stuffed pepper with lamb, ginger, basil, garlic, eggplant yumminess.

I'm feeling it today - a bit draggybutty. 2nd day no fruit and very little starch. Head fairly clear though. Am going to bed early tonight.

It's 8:30 p.m. and when i got home from work, I almost went to the cashew nut drawer. No, I didn't get rid of the nuts yet. BUT I set a hard rule of nuts only allowed on salads (1/4 cup) and NO nuts after 8. But my sneaky little brain really really tried to talk me into it. I reminded it of the hard rule, no exceptions and left the kitchen.

Once I'm out of the kitchen, I'm fine. No need to eat. But when I go into the kitchen, I'm triggered and start feeling "hungry". Interesting. So when I get my tea, am making a bee line straight in and out again. Done eating for the day and another full, rich day it was.

Not eating much due to the gassy stomach pain, but today's food was tastier than usual and more important, quick! M1 was grilled chicken w/ sweet potato and swiss chard w/ olive oil; M2 was mahi mahi drowning in garlic ghee and more swiss chard with a squeeze of lemon. We managed to eat dinner by 8:30 :) Earlier today I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel with a raging headache and bloated stomach, but figured maybe I'm a day or 2 behind the timeline so should hang in there a bit more. Besides, nothing off-plan sounded appetizing and it would have just been pity party eating. Off to finish chores so I can get to bed by 10:30 - yay!

SAUSAGE DILEMMA!

OK, I'm starting to feel a little crazy. Everyone's been talking about sausages (Mmmm) but for the life of me I haven't been able to find 100% compliant sausages anywhere (and compliant bacon is also hard to find for that matter! Everything has filllers and aditives of some sort. Even the local gourmet butchers added some type of grain filler to their sausages. I finally surcumbed to a package of German Bratworst sausage - the ingredients list was minimal and the only nasties I could see were preservatives and sulphites, which I know are not compliant, but it was like the lesser of two evils - rice starch or additives?! Help!

I'm also obsessing about things in jars & cans and finding the labels always sound an alarm bell of some sort. I do however remember reading in the 'can I have' list, that citirc acid is OK, so some of the jarred foods I dismissed previously may be OK on a second look. Wow, I'm confused.

Does the timeline have a 'your're slowly going insane' section anywhere?

After I refreshed my memory of the timeline tonight, I found "Days 8-9  are the gut healing part of the timeline" with lots going on in your stomach at this stage. Maybe I'm a bit behind , this really started for me around Day 10, but at least I now know what it is! Thank you timeline (I thought it was Lysine tablets)!

So, whilst I have been recording my own daily meals, I'm not sure everyone is overly intersted in what I had today. I did however make an amazing bunless beefburger with egg etc (and my bratworst sausage) for dinner whilst my family dined on the burgers with buns. Honestly, I didn't miss the bun, still tasted delicious!

PS: We need more posts guys! It seems that we all had a lot of energy to post early on in the journey, but posts have dwindled of late. Are you all doing OK? I'm really keen to hear how EVERYONE is doing - Check In! :)     

Day 13: This morning my husband said that he can see my belly getting smaller and a waist appearing. A waist!!!! I always knew I had one but it's been hiding for a few years under abdominal fat. I resisted the temptation to measure it....I'll do that after my 30 days! But it's great to know that the changes I feel on the inside are showing on the outside too. Hurray!!!

Oh....and my spiralizer arrived today so I can make noodles/spaghetti out of veggies. Can't wait to try it out!!! Has anyone used one?

Nearly half way.....lets keep this up!

Archived