Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hey all: Yesterday:

M1 a couple bites of almond butter

- 1 hour, fairly brisk ride

PWO meal: 3 bananas

M2 Lg salad with 'taco' flavor hamburger and olives

M3 2 LG bowls of beef stew and apple sauce and lg handful dried fruit

sooo.....I know M1 was a bit of a disaster, but the morning got away with me. I have this funny cycle after a long and/or really hard ride. I'm not hungry afterwards, including that night. Then the next day I'm so hungry I can chew the door down, and tend to eat everything in sight, ESP. junk carbs. So I'm fairly happy that I ate large balanced dinner Sunday night, and was able to address my bodies screaming for carbs post ride this morning with the bananas rather than the muffins/cookies/potato chips as has tended to happen....

I did not need either the apple sauce or dried fruit. The stew had tons of tomatoes and carrots, all the carbs I needed in the evening. I am certainly not free of the post meal "I want something sweet" craving.

Bronnyd I relate to the 'just get OUT of the kitchen' problem! Post meal is probably my most difficult time. I'm NOT hungry, but I want something to munch. But it's SOOOOO hard to just get up and leave. Then, if I DON'T munch (unlike last night with unneeded dried fruit that made me overfull) 15 minutes later I'm wondering what all the drama was about :) I think for me it's more of an entertainment thing. I need to tell myself that I can leave the table, and go somewhere else and still relax. My mind is kind of saying 'if you stop eating you need to start working', but sometime I need to rest.

LeaC, thanks for the kick in the pants regarding posting :) Some people may have fallen off the wagon, as I did on my previous attempts, and hopefully they'll just hop back on and start again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAUSAGE DILEMMA!

OK, I'm starting to feel a little crazy. Everyone's been talking about sausages (Mmmm) but for the life of me I haven't been able to find 100% compliant sausages anywhere (and compliant bacon is also hard to find for that matter! Everything has filllers and aditives of some sort. Even the local gourmet butchers added some type of grain filler to their sausages. I finally surcumbed to a package of German Bratworst sausage - the ingredients list was minimal and the only nasties I could see were preservatives and sulphites, which I know are not compliant, but it was like the lesser of two evils - rice starch or additives?! Help!

I'm also obsessing about things in jars & cans and finding the labels always sound an alarm bell of some sort. I do however remember reading in the 'can I have' list, that citirc acid is OK, so some of the jarred foods I dismissed previously may be OK on a second look. Wow, I'm confused.

Does the timeline have a 'your're slowly going insane' section anywhere?

After I refreshed my memory of the timeline tonight, I found "Days 8-9 are the gut healing part of the timeline" with lots going on in your stomach at this stage. Maybe I'm a bit behind , this really started for me around Day 10, but at least I now know what it is! Thank you timeline (I thought it was Lysine tablets)!

So, whilst I have been recording my own daily meals, I'm not sure everyone is overly intersted in what I had today. I did however make an amazing bunless beefburger with egg etc (and my bratworst sausage) for dinner whilst my family dined on the burgers with buns. Honestly, I didn't miss the bun, still tasted delicious!

Lea, I like to use ground pork, lamb, or beef to make my own. I love breakfast sausage with lots of sage, a little thyme, rosemary, nutmeg, maybe some cayenne pepper and garlic. Italian sausage I use fennel, garlic, a little Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

LeaC, I like reading everyone's meals - it gives me ideas for my own meals - so please keep posting them if you want!

Tonight we all go to the chiropractor after work and then Costco while we're in the neighborhood so I'm going to try to eat M3 before I leave work. The boys are on their own tonight which usually means they order a pizza before we start shopping to eat when we get home which means I get to smell pizza for the 40 minute drive, but smelling isn't cheating :) I've learned that I like the smell much more than the taste.

Today's plan:

M1: chicken broth

M2: salad w/ chicken, avocado, olive oil

M3: leftover fish w/ avocado and spaghetti squash

Geez that sounds boring!!

I need to pick up an emulsion blender tonight so I can make butternut squash soup. And I really need to make some sauces to zip up my menus.

Question: If I cook my chicken carcass with lots of veggies, does the resulting bone broth count as a complete meal? I know it's at least got fat ;) No fiber, of course, but it's filling and very flavorful. Almost too flavorful - I think I'll be a little more discriminating re: the veggies I throw in there next time.

@leac going slowly insane definitely belongs in the time line, folks take a wide berth around me in the super market- arms full of cans pondering aloud why everything has sugar added to it! I've been making my own sausage because the ones at the store don't have ingredients listed, plus ground pork is pretty cheap. When I get home tonight I'll hunt down the recipe for you

@ mumontherun congrats on that waist line woo hoo & on the husband noticing, even better ;) do report back on that spiralizer, I've been wanting one but haven't pulled the trigger.

Hubby came back from his trip famished, he stayed on plan but since there was nothing compliant around he had just a few bites of soup and salad for lunch. I fed him a hearty dinner, but he's back to sleeping fitfully, wonder if the missed nutrition messed up his hormones. His challenge is proving to be much harder than mine, he's going on a boys weekend typically full of drinks and buffalo wings, it feels like if he's going to sick to this thing there's no reason in the world I can't! He's looking for food to bring with him, any ideas? Aside from jerky nuts and Lara bars I'm not sure what will travel well.

• Administrators

Question: If I cook my chicken carcass with lots of veggies, does the resulting bone broth count as a complete meal?

Nope, sorry! Bone broth is considered a beverage or even a supplement while on Whole30. You still need proper meals. :)

• Administrators

SAUSAGE DILEMMA!

I finally surcumbed to a package of German Bratworst sausage - the ingredients list was minimal and the only nasties I could see were preservatives and sulphites, which I know are not compliant, but it was like the lesser of two evils - rice starch or additives?! Help!

After I refreshed my memory of the timeline tonight, I found "Days 8-9  are the gut healing part of the timeline" with lots going on in your stomach at this stage.

Nope, that's not the lesser of any evils. No one NEEDS sausage in 30 days. ;) Sulphites are enormous gut disruptors, btw, and will impact gut healing which, as you said, is going on now and throughout the 30 days. You can make your own with ground meats and the Clothes Make the Girl Italian Sausage Seasoning is really good. You can make them into patties and freeze them between layers of parchment and they cook perfectly from frozen in a hot frying pan. You're in the middle of the absolute best opportunity for gut healing you can get...don't mess with it by eating sausages that have chemicals in them.

I'm shocked by how little my sugar dragon has had to say, and I'm wondering if*I* was the dragon, indulging in a sweetened yogurt everyday at 10 and a sweet treat after dinner every day.

Like the old Pogo quote, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

M2 lettuce with lemon juice and pineapple. We went to a Chinese buffet and that's all I could find to eat. [/size]

That is some great discipline!  Sometimes doing W30 stuff we end up just 'tagging along' for food-centered events and it's all about that inner serenity. :)

PS: We need more posts guys! It seems that we all had a lot of energy to post early on in the journey, but posts have dwindled of late. Are you all doing OK? I'm really keen to hear how EVERYONE is doing - Check In! :)

Ya no kidding. With over 300 people who said they were "in", I'd LIKE to think most are touching base on the Facebook since CLEARLY they're not all posting here. :-

Hey all: Yesterday:

M1 a couple bites of almond butter

- 1 hour, fairly brisk ride

PWO meal: 3 bananas

sooo.....I know M1 was a bit of a disaster, but the morning got away with me.

PWO wasn't so hot either.  :ph34r:

Hi Kristina, for sure being extra emotional instead of crabby/angry could be how your body is experiencing this change over.

Overall I think you're not eating enough and in order to feel as good as you can during this transition, I recommend following the template as closely as you can.  Having only a banana and almond butter is a sugar and fat loaded snack that will, unfortunately, just contribute to the ups and downs that your blood sugar (and subsequently your emotions) experience.

You could probably also do to increase your starchy veggies to at least a serving once a day (sweet potato, white potato, winter squash, rutabaga, turnip, carrot, beet etc). 

Thank you!    Yes last Friday was a bad day food wise...   I ended up eating handfuls of cashews to help me make it to dinnertime.  I didn't eat until 8 pm..  My energy level was bad too..  I know it was because of my food choices.  It's all about being prepared.. and I was not prepared foodwise to be gone all day.   Saturday wasn't much better....

Sunday and Monday was better..  I did eat more starchy veggies..  and that did help keep me satiated better.   This morning...  sigh...

Breakfast:  banana, cashew butter, unsweetened Cocnout flakes.   Coffee with coconut milk..  (I know the same thing applies (not enough protein/ just sugar and fat)    Sauteed Kale and carrots, 2 fried eggs (which I haven't eaten yet)   Banana concoction at 8 am and it's 11 am  now.. going to eat my kale and eggs.  (I'm at work)

Lunch:  fried sweet potato rounds (homemade), sauteed cabbage with curry/ fried egg on top.  ( protein sources are running low at home)

homemade mayo. 

Dinner:  roasted chicken spiced with cumin, (so rest of family can have tacos) , salad (for me)   dressing??  maybe salsa, or mayo mixed with avocado?  not sure yet..    potato or sweet potato

So as been said in the forums over and over again..  there needs to be a plan in place.  This is my biggest issue..   oh and money...  I'm waiting for payday and trying to make my options stretch... (credit cards in the freezer... lol)      But the end is in sight, tomorrow I'll be able to go to Costco and fill up on much needed veggies and meats.  I can't wait!!!!!!!!  :)  Then meals will be able to be more varied and well rounded. 

okay I'm officially rambling.. lol  Have a great day!!

Kristina

Hello everybody, day 9 for me here.  I survived the Football game party on Sunday.  We made compliant chili with ground sirloin, and I prepared guacamole and dip it with stacks of celery.  2 dates for dessert, I am proud hehehe. 

Leann or LeaC, I made your croquettes recipe on Friday and I had them for dinner, then for Lunch on Saturday, what an amazing recipe, delicious.

I cooked for 24 hours my bone marrow broth, but throw in there some meaty bones, so I have had a little bit of soup with veggies and all that.  I will strain it today and have my broth ready to go.  

M1 - BPC - 3 boiled eggs

M2 - Soup, bones, meat, and veggies, 1 small avocado

M3 - Salmon and cauliflower, 1 Apple

It has been busy for me between work and doctors appt.  Staying strong, my health my biggest motivation. :-)

We got this! Happy Tuesday y'all

leaC - Step away from the non-compliant sausage! :) You've come this far, if you really want sausage you can make your own compliant version. We have very few compliant ones here in Australia. Some butchers do "pure beef" sausages.

Agreed, I can't find compliant sausage for the life of me, but if I was desperate ttp have a "sausage-like-item" I'd buy some ground meat, add seasonings myself, and fry it in patties. I've never been that desperate

SAUSAGE DILEMMA!

OK, I'm starting to feel a little crazy. Everyone's been talking about sausages (Mmmm) but for the life of me I haven't been able to find 100% compliant sausages anywhere (and compliant bacon is also hard to find for that matter! Everything has filllers and aditives of some sort. Even the local gourmet butchers added some type of grain filler to their sausages. I finally surcumbed to a package of German Bratworst sausage - the ingredients list was minimal and the only nasties I could see were preservatives and sulphites, which I know are not compliant, but it was like the lesser of two evils - rice starch or additives?! Help!

I'm sure if you talk nicely to your butcher, they might be able to whip something up for you.  I went to my butcher and told her what I was up to.  All of their sausages have bredcrumbs/soy sauce/sugar in them.  But, she was able to make me some Lamb and basil sausages that were completely compliant!  They were incredibly tasty too!

Suze - I vote for Sunshine Sauce! :D (the quote function comes from your browser & clipboard - you could try a different one or maybe a reboot).

Sunsoaked - Look for things in little tins with ring pulls, like salmon, tuna, sardines, even veggies.

I've been a bit slack on the food logging since the weekend.

M1 for today:

Beef red curry with lots of veggies, bean shoots and spring onions. (this will also be M2)

• Administrators

I've done what Poukiebear does....my butcher makes me sausages when I call in.  Since he makes them every week he just forms mine first and then adds his rice flour or whatever in the ones that he sells.  Easy peasy.  And actually, he OFFERED to do it when I commented that I couldn't eat his delicious sausages anymore due to having stomach issues with rice flour.

• Administrators

SuzeEG, I can't use the quote function when I'm at work and copy and paste doesn't work either.  Probably because of our ANCIENT browser that we use.

HA!  I just downloaded Google Chrome instead of using internet Explorer and now it works!  Maybe try that?

Nope, that's not the lesser of any evils. No one NEEDS sausage in 30 days. ;) Sulphites are enormous gut disruptors, btw, and will impact gut healing which, as you said, is going on now and throughout the 30 days. You can make your own with ground meats and the Clothes Make the Girl Italian Sausage Seasoning is really good. You can make them into patties and freeze them between layers of parchment and they cook perfectly from frozen in a hot frying pan. You're in the middle of the absolute best opportunity for gut healing you can get...don't mess with it by eating sausages that have chemicals in them.

Thanks for the season suggestion! I will have to give that a try. I have to admit I was surprised that my kids liked a simple recipe for breakfast sausage (sorry, no it doesn't taste like normal sausage) but it is just ground turkey mixed with some spices and chicken broth. I make up a huge batch and then throw them in the freezer. When I go to warm them up on the frying pan I put a little chicken broth in to help with the flavor. Kids love them and it works out great when I am in a hurry.

HA!  I just downloaded Google Chrome instead of using internet Explorer and now it works!  Maybe try that?

I was just about to mention that I can't get it to work in Explorer either, but since the kids need to use Firefox for school I went in thru that and everything works great! Must just be something about Explorer.

So I don't feel like I am having any big changes, but I feel better knowing what I'm eating is so much better for me...wish the kids were willing to try it out right now because this making meals for them, then for me and hubby, then cleaning up double dishes (multiple times a day) is getting kinda old. I think I will try and make some Ghee this afternoon and ask the kids what they are making for their dinner tonight... I know I am having leftovers. ;)

Ok, I'll try chrome - tx for the tip, ladyshanny!  Sounds like you work in the same office as me with the old technology :)

Food is tasting so much better to me today.  I thought my meals would be boring but they're pretty good so far.  Switched out the spaghetti squash in favor of a sweet potato with the fish, added some lemon juice and walnuts to the salad with chicken and avocado.  It's so good I wish I had room in my belly for more but I get full so fast.  And then hungry again.  Must be old habits and/or residual bloating.  Regardless, my taste buds are happy!

Archived