Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

By the way, I was also going to make ghee but when I thought about purchasing all that butter and throwing out half of it (the milk solids) then the prep work involved, the cost of buying it ready made was a much more sensible idea - similar in price too!

You don't toss nearly half ... more like 20% I'd say?

coconut oil is very bad for us

Was this person on TV promoting soybean or canola oil instead? anim_confused.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't posted in a while, but am feeling pretty good.  I feel like I have lost a few pounds and have been doing well in my workouts at the gym.  My stomach feels a bit "squeamish" from time to time, but no biggie.  I am amazed at how well I am sleeping at night.  Not sure if it's because of me drinking less coffee or not having my one glass of wine right before bed.   

***Kill All Things!!***

Once again, not sure I'm on track with the timeline, but this morning was definatley a "blah, I can't be bothered talking to you or eating anything" kind of day!

I started to notice it yesterday, snapped at hubby....then again this morning - snapped at him again! Bored with thinking about food for everyone and can't wait till the weekend when I can focus more on food prep and ideas!

Sat down to breakfast of the last of my big batch of sweet potato hash, with eggs scrambled through it and sprinkled with kale chips. couldn't even finish it! Chased it down with half cup of homemade almond milk and 2 small chunks of pineapple.

Travelled to work by bus, air con wasn't operating as well as it could. Opened a food mag, flicked through the pages, it made me feel ill. Closed the mag and rested my head on the window for the rest of the trip!

Hope Kill All Things mixed with No Energy doesn't last long! :angry:  :mellow:  :(

Hi Everyone - I cannot believe I am on Day 14!!! I feel like a winner :)

I've never stuck to anything this long. Keeping this promise to myself has boosted my confidence in so many ways.

As per the description in the book - this week I've had a sore tummy but I just like to imagine my poor old gut healing itself.

There are a few things that I'd like to improve on for the next two weeks: more water; earlier rising; earlier breakfast; and to make ghee without burning it  ;)

I'm still struggling with my sleep quite a bit and I don't wake feeling very rested. I'm pretty sure it's from all the exercise - my adrenals are loving it but I'm staying 'high' for hours  :o

Love to hear how everyone else is going 

Was this person on TV promoting soybean or canola oil instead? anim_confused.gif

No idea...but I know she said whole grains were very important for everyone...and as for fat she said to ONLY use the liquid ones (yes, canola and soybean) because "all" the solid ones (including, and they made a point of saying) coconut oil, are heart clogging. So because it's promoted on TV it must be true....

Hi Miemoo - welcome! Nice to see another local join this forum...

Well, my 'kill all things' has subsided a bit. My recycled breakfast for lunch even tasted better at M2.

Lunch was:

M2

Half cup of homemade mayo potato salad

Leftover sweet potato hash with eggs scrambled through etc with pulled pork added

Sauerkraut

Olives

Kale chips

Prosciutto

Note to self: keep going, keep going...

Wow. Day 14!

My first meal was spread out, for got about my daughters ortho appointment. On the run I had a hard boiled egg and water. When I got back home had another hard boiled egg and an apple with hazelnut butter and finally my tea.

M2 left over pork from last night.

Snack after work tuna fish.

M3 spaghetti squash, cod and fried apples. I ate to much, dinner was so good.

I noticed my back doesn't hurt anymore. I Really like the whole30.

Have a great night.

Day 14. Hump day! Today was another hard day resisting sweets and biscuits in the office. Add a complete meltdown from my two year old, and I find myself craving my usual soothing solution in these situations, a large glass of wine (and probably some sort of dessert after dinner).

Outside the W30 I usually eat pretty healthy meals, but it's all the stuff around them that does me in. I can justify a lot of wine and junk food! And if I'm not jusifying it, my husband probably will be and I'll join him...

Does anyone have any techniques for how to move on by bowls of candy without a pang of desire? I'd love to hear them! I mean, I'm NOT going to eat it, but likewise I don't want to be making myself crazy for the foreseeable future either (because no way do I also want to finish the w30 and dive straight back in to old habits!)

Looking forward to tonight's dinner, at least - pork and zoodles, using the recipe from the clothes make the girl.

Congrats to everyone else at the 2 week mark :D

No idea...but I know she said whole grains were very important for everyone...and as for fat she said to ONLY use the liquid ones (yes, canola and soybean) because "all" the solid ones (including, and they made a point of saying) coconut oil, are heart clogging. So because it's promoted on TV it must be true....

BWAHAHAHAHAAA!

OK so it was a good day for the most part except I felt a little tired and depressed this afternoon.

So before work, I lied down and took a 20 min snooze. Work actually helped rev up my energy a bit. After work I was spent but had dinner arrangements with a friend and boy did that make a difference! 

And dare I say dinner tonight was right on the Whole 30 money! We went to a tapa place and I had the most incredible taco innards - pulled pork with cabbage and jerk chicken with tomatillos, no tortilla, no cheese. Julienned jicama and carrot salad with sesame oil and lemon dressing. OH my effing GODDESS it was good. And just the right amount. AND before 8 even! I had soda water with lemon at the kickoff Cajun dance while everyone else drank their booze. Got home late and don't even feel like eating. I knew this funk would pass, but wasn't sure if I would want to go out tonight. Glad I did.

Have to say that I am grateful that I feel like going out at all after a long semihard day. Before day 1, I was feeling emotionally and physically DOWN and most of my days were plain hard. This going out midweek is not normal for me. Even on the weekends it's easy to stay in when my gut is gross and it's cold outside. On day 14, I am feeling the effects of detox, but still SO much better! 

My food today was right on:

M1 two jumbo eggs, chicken sausage and a mug-o-bone broth

M2 humungo salad with romaine, salami, carrot, celery, 1/4 up cashews, 1/2 avo, T oo and lemon, salt

I am ready for bed now. Night night!

End of day 15 for me!

I arrived home from work extremely unenthused about dinner. Asked 17 year old son if he wanted to get himself takeaway but he wasn't keen so I had a think and came up with Spaghetti Bolognese as an idea that we would all enjoy. Found this great recipe http://paleoaustralia.com/2013/07/paleo-spaghetti-bolognese-recipe/. I wanted to add a slight amount of sweetness to the sauce, so added 2 chopped dates and cooked until they had melted. Boys of the house had the bolognese with regular spaghetti, I had the bolognaise with zucchini noodles & a sprinkle of nutritional yeast - yum!

(Was soooo tempted tonight to give up and order takeaway, then thought to myself "what the hell, a 3 minute weak moment won't ruin me - not today")!

So my family knows I am doing the Whole 30 and reading thru the book. Once I started reading a lot of it made sense as to why things are good or bad for us, granted I am no nutritionist but I don't feel like anything is way out there...but this morning I received a call from my mom because she had been watching the Today show and a lady (no idea who) was on talking about what is good and bad for eveyone and that even though some people think it's good, coconut oil is very bad for us. Now I am dealing with a mom who truely thinks I'm reading and doing something that's  very unhealthy. I tried to explain that even if I wasn't doing the Whole 30 I would be doing some kind of elimination diet to see what affects my fibromyalgia symptoms. Sadly we have had these type of conversations before...my kids grew up not drinking milk (becasue they both seemed very intolerant) and that was such a big issue with her, she acted as if I was trying to make them sick. Funny thing is that they seemed to have more problems once they started having dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream) but according to my mom I was just "seeing" things. Now I feel I have to try to justify what I'm doing...sigh. Sorry for the vent...just got off the phone with her.

Oooh, that is the worst. I have family like that. No advice. Just keep hanging out with us!

Yesterday was good. No snacking or mini meals, although I did drink coffee between meals. I tried to increase the fat at each meal so I could stay fuller. Also I went for another walk. It feels good to move.

OMG.  Was she watching Dr. Oz?  That man needs to give his head a shake.  I'm sorry to all those here that enjoy his show, but I can't stand flipping through the channels only to find Dr. Oz touting the "Next Miracle Weight Loss Solution!"  

On EVERY.  SINGLE.  EPISODE.  He has a new Miracle ever day.

I just picture these poor girls with image issues combining a weeks worth of "Miracle Solutions" and endind up very very sick.  :(

OK, rant over.

I went out with some girls last night to an Irish pub.  Thankfully we went after dinner, and I made sure I was full before I left home.  I had Talapia with roasted sweet potato chunks, and roasted brussle sprouts.  MMM!   I only had tea when I was at the bar.

Does anyone have any techniques for how to move on by bowls of candy without a pang of desire? I'd love to hear them! I mean, I'm NOT going to eat it, but likewise I don't want to be making myself crazy for the foreseeable future either (because no way do I also want to finish the w30 and dive straight back in to old habits!)

When I started the W30, I gave all of the chocolate (And there was a lot of it!) to my hubby and asked him to hide it from me.  Normally, he's not really good at hidding anything, but so far, I haven't run into any of the chocolate!

When I was at the bar last night and everyone else was eating and drinking, I just didn't look at it.  LOL.  It was the only thing I could do.  I did bring my crochet with me (We were having a b*tch and stitch) so I just concentrated on that instead of obsessing over the food in front of me.

SandyM - A lot of people are scared of coconut oil because of the saturated fat, but most of these people eat margarine (ewww!). Some people really love out-of-date debunked science. I know I'd rather have coconut oil than trans fats and PUFAs. I don't bother arguing with people, but I don't let them change what I eat (that's really a kind of bullying), eventually they'll see the results and want to know more.

leaC - Everyone's timeline is different, don't worry if you don't match the days. The headings are the most helpful :) Hang in there, it does get better. Make sure you're getting enough starches.

Sunflour - I always avoid surprise food. If I would have been happy not to eat it if I didn't know it was there, then I'm happy without it. It also helps if you have your own treat you can eat (IF you want). I find often having options (even when I don't use them) gives me more willpower, as I know it's my choice, not what I'm "stuck" with.

BronnyD - way to go! :D

Good morning! I enjoyed all the posts-I'm SOO happy to have stumbled upon an active thread, you have no idea how helpful the regular reading of your posts, and posting myself, is for me.....

Congrats to everyone approaching 15 days (or already there!) SUCH a big accomplishment. Saturday will be 15 days for me, officially further than I've gone before-whoohoo :)

Still wrestling with the balanced meal thing. But the interesting point is, the more I do this the more I see why it's so important and why W30 makes such a big deal of it. Yesterday I skipped breakfast in the midst of the chaos of getting everyone out the door to school. Then I went for a short but brutal ride: 8.5 miles round trip, 50 minutes, 1,500 feet of climbing. A real lung buster. Interestingly, I think I continue to move slowly in the direction of fat adaption. I had steady energy, and when I got back, wasn't starving (and due to work ec. wasn't able to eat) till lunch. When, unfortunately, I WAS starving. So I ate a compliant, but HUGE lunch. This didn't make me sleepy, because it wasn't carb heavy, but I could tell it was too much volume for my body to really process, and did take the edge of my energy. BUT I had steady energy, despite a huge sleep deficit, until I was finally able to get to dinner.

Anyhow, just further proof that this program knows what it's talking about. I'm heading into a week and a half of total, mind boggling, chaos and stress because of a work project. This is part 2 of the part 1 that derailed me on this program last time. So, re-committing to posting here BEFORE I start work and the stress download hits, and committing to KEEP RIDING because that's my stress buster, and keeps me in touch with the fact that my life is not defined by the success or failure of what I'm working on.

Forgot to post meals:

M1 a whole avocado, with a bunch of cherry tomatoes. A large serving of beef over a large serving of broccoli. An orange.

M 2 A large bowl of beef and vegetable soup

Missing meals = not good. Trust me when I say a "large" serving-it's large. Almost more than could/should be eaten comfortably at one time. Today, carefully not skipping meal #1.

Strava - that's what I love about a food log, you can see the inputs and outputs and see what works for you and what doesn't. I had too many dates the other day and I'm still feeling the effects lol You might be better off with two smaller meals if it's too big in volume. Are you having Pre & Post workout meals yet?

Don't forget sleep too, it's the ultimate stress buster!

Oh boy,  My dear husband packed my lunch today.  He THINKS he's doing the W30 because I make and feed him compliant dinners.  But that's as far as he goes because he'll eat McDonalds for breakfast and have a sandwich at lunch.

I was afraid to open my lunch.  LOL but he did ok i guess.  Not exactly well rounded meals, but at least it's all compliant.  It'll do for today.

2 hard boiled eggs

2 slices of proscuito

2 pieces of Talapia (With a note saying "I cooked it in your fake butter stuff that's not butter"  he means Ghee.  lol

Broccoli and Coliflour

Half a Banana.  (Where's my other half?!  lol)

Apple slices with Cinnamon on them.

Finally I got to go to bed early! Asleep by 9 and up before the alarm, shortly after 5. Just drank 3 pints of water so no room for M1 this morning. I don't think I've ever been so thirsty!

Today's plan:

M1: Kalua pork, avocado, live kraut, sweet potato (takes the place of bbq sauce :))

M2: spaghetti squash with meat sauce

Great job, everybody - keep it up!

OMG.  Was she watching Dr. Oz?  That man needs to give his head a shake.  I'm sorry to all those here that enjoy his show, but I can't stand flipping through the channels only to find Dr. Oz touting the "Next Miracle Weight Loss Solution!"  

On EVERY.  SINGLE.  EPISODE.  He has a new Miracle ever day.

I just picture these poor girls with image issues combining a weeks worth of "Miracle Solutions" and endind up very very sick.   :(

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23291-dr-oz-show-w-melissa-dallas/

;)

I went out with some girls last night to an Irish pub.  

I did bring my crochet with me (We were having a b*tch and stitch) so I just concentrated on that instead of obsessing over the food in front of me.

Saw your thread about this event, glad it turned out well for you. My friend and her gf's call it "knit & b*tch" --- small world!

• Administrators

I went out with some girls last night to an Irish pub.  Thankfully we went after dinner, and I made sure I was full before I left home.  I had Talapia with roasted sweet potato chunks, and roasted brussle sprouts.  MMM!   I only had tea when I was at the bar.

I was wondering how your evening went, good to hear it was alright! :)

Good morning Troopers, 

I see a lot of activity here, and that is AWESOME!

-MartaK Great progress, wohoooo

-Hi Miemo, you are a winner!

-Sunsakeddreamer, thanks for the Sausage Recipe, I will give it a try

-Kelly Wohoooo

-Boonny, feel better

- Sunflour, Happy Detox and watchout with nuts, so you don't get NUTS

- Lea C, Good for you volunteering, I am doing mine this Sunday in the Medical tent of the Houston Marathon, usually I run it, but not this year.  Will do a 5k on Saturday though.

You will get out of that detox fog soon, hang in there. That bolognese recipe sounds yummy

-Poukiebear Thanks for the advise

-Strava junkie hang in here with us

Sandy M, sorry about your not so supportive family, hang in here with us

Day 11 for me, and crazy computer problems because of a thermal welding here at the office, thank God for the auto save option, I post this before it gets lost again

M1- BPC + 3 eggs and veggies Spinach/green beans

M2  BB, left over pulled pork roasted with carrots, onions and 1/2 hass avocado

M3  Grilled Snapper, salad

Happy meal, happy day y'all

End of day 15 for me!

I arrived home from work extremely unenthused about dinner. Asked 17 year old son if he wanted to get himself takeaway but he wasn't keen so I had a think and came up with Spaghetti Bolognese as an idea that we would all enjoy. Found this great recipe http://paleoaustralia.com/2013/07/paleo-spaghetti-bolognese-recipe/. I wanted to add a slight amount of sweetness to the sauce, so added 2 chopped dates and cooked until they had melted. Boys of the house had the bolognese with regular spaghetti, I had the bolognaise with zucchini noodles & a sprinkle of nutritional yeast - yum!

(Was soooo tempted tonight to give up and order takeaway, then thought to myself "what the hell, a 3 minute weak moment won't ruin me - not today")!

Thanks, leac for the paleo spaghetti recipe. I'm going to try it. :)

Archived