Crashing in the afternoon and the Day 10 "hurdle"

I think these two things may be related...

My last two tries, I've made it to Day10, then caved and had three days when I've eaten ice cream. Whole30 compliant the rest of the day, then about 3 or 4 I start to feel exhausted and depressed, and I start thinking about ice cream. Once I've made that decision, that's it. I'm looking forward to it too much to change my mind.

That afternoon crash is a problem when I am doing well, too, because about 4 or 5 is when I go to Crossfit, and I need my energy for my workouts. On my workout nights, I have a hardboiled egg and a handful of nuts before the workout.

My after workout meals vary depending on what I'm doing afterward. If I'm going straight home, I have a regular meal. If I'm not, I eat some salmon cakes and squash or sweet potato baby food. I typically don't eat again when I get home, because it's about 9:00, and I don't like to eat that close to bedtime.

Also, this temptation hits me at Day 10. I don't know why that is...any thoughts about that??

Please help. I want to succeed this time, and I know eating ice cream isn't helping my workout energy...I'm hoping that if I can figure out some way to get past that afternoon slump.

My goal is to make it from today (I've had a good day so far!) to October 15th, which is my first wedding anniversary. I thought that if I thought 56 instead of 30, it would seem more like a "lifestyle" than a "diet."

Thank you in advance!

Maybe you need to add a healthy fat to that mid-afternoon meal? Some sliced avocado? I found that when I was diligent about consuming enough fat, I was never hungry between meals and didn't have an afternoon slump at all. Try adding a little extra fat at lunch.

It doesn't have much flavor, you could add just a out anything to it. I like it mashed up and mixed with inion and hot peppers and tomato like guacamole, except I usually add chopped black olives to it.

I also make a dip with avocado, shallots, coconut milk and cilantro. I actually make a salad of cukes, pineapple and rainbow peppers and let it sit overnight and then dump some of this dip on it. Something about the flavor seems to work for me. I can get a serving of veges and some good healthy fat into a snack. As a matter of fact, I really wish I had a pineapple in the house right now!

You can do it, don't cave!

• Moderators

I mash avocado up with a little lime juice and then eat it on other things.

Your food log from another post looked good, but caving to bad food choices in the afternoon makes me suspect you are not eating enough. This is a long-term program, so maybe this time, really focus on eating plenty, even if you don't lose any weight. You probably will, but make sure you are not tempted because of hunger.

Archived