Dealing with reality

CassieS

So, I'm about to embark on my second Whole 30..knowing in the back of my mind that I will eventually likely have to give up wine and sugary treats for good. Has anyone done this? I think I was lying to myself thinking that I could continue to drink wine. But, I realize that wine makes me feel just as bad as sugar treats. I get cloudy and have headaches and it probably needs to eventually go permanently. I feel AMAZING when I'm doing a Whole 30 and would think that I would just be excited about it. I am able to focus on friends and family during gatherings rather than where my next treat is coming from. I get up at 5:30am each morning and get soooo much done. When I am eating sugar, I can barely get out of bed by 8 in the morning and slog through the morning before heading to work around noon. You would think with the way my life and body changes with the Whole 30, it would be a no brainer that I would want to eat like this forever. Why is it soooo hard to let go of some of these things for good?

No, not here. But I can resonate with dairy in my day to day life. When I consume it I feel so sluggish, my face is swollen and my stomach hurts. It took me 2 and a 1/2 Whole30's before I realized it was dairy. Now, I do not consume it and I feel so much better. Oh and my acne went away. Nice bonus. My main use of dairy was in coffee. Just half and half or heavy whipping cream. I haven't used sugar in years (for coffee). Once I truly realized what was happening to me with dairy it was easy to give up. My new BFF in coffee is coconut milk.

I hope you find the same success giving up sugar and wine when you are ready.  

You're not alone.  It's very hard to give up the things we "love".  It takes time to work through emotional ties we have to food and decide what is worth it and what is not worth it.  I try to take it one day at a time.  I never drank alcohol very often, but I did enjoy a glass or two of wine occasionally.  I'm more aware of the effect it has on me now.  Most days, the slogginess I feel after wine isn't worth it.  Occasionally, it is.  I don't know if I'll get to never having it, but I figure as long as it's less and less as time goes by, I'm making progress.  Same goes with sugar. I will probably not get to never having it, but I'm much better at making sure it's worth it and then being aware of how it makes me feel.  It's a process. 

Archived