Breast tenderness

kellysensei

I'm finishing up day 11 of my Whole30, and ever since day 5, my breasts have been very tender and sore - uncomfortably so. I did get my period on day 9 (right on time), but it is highly unusual for me to experience breast soreness like this. Even when I was pregnant, it wasn't this bad. 

Is this way of eating throwing my hormones way out of whack? Or could I be doing something wrong? I'm so uncomfortable.

I've been 90% Paleo since June, so the only major changes for me doing the Whole30 have been a total elimination (instead of a reduction) of sugar and soy. I take vitamin D3 but stopped taking magnesium about a month ago. I just ordered some more.

Is this way of eating throwing my hormones way out of whack? Or could I be doing something wrong? I'm so uncomfortable.

Not really, but yes. Whole30 often changes your hormonal balance and the transition period can be uncomfortable. Most people find that after the initial transition their hormones are in better balance and pre-menstrual symptoms are reduced.

This might sound a bit funny but are you using canned coconut milk for anything as a fat source?

I was like you.  Very seldom were my breasts tender prior to a whole 30.  And then they went from being tender around my period to tender all the time.

I discovered that certain brands of coconut milk were bothering me and causing the tenderness.  I have heard that it mostly has to do with the lining they use for the cans.  Now I mostly use the brand AROY-D.  It's just water and coconut.  And no more breast tenderness.

I haven't been able to figure it out, but I have the same problem. During my first whole 30, I even had leakage. A full check up with my doctor revealed nothing, and although it's less than before, they are particularly painful between ovulation and my period. So much so that I know to the day when I ovulate based on breast tenderness. I'd suspect when your period ends, so will the symptom, but it's something to track over the next few months.

Archived