Returning with my tail tucked

JennyF

A few months back I started a W30 challenge, but must admit that I failed badly. Not because the program didn't work, but because I didn't work the program.  I thought I could follow everything but still make "treats" using Paleo friendly items.  Admitedly I thought I was 'above it' and didn't fullly give it a try.  As it turns out, I was not able to stay true to the program because I was allowing too many treats using W30 friendly foods. In essence looking for ways to make my food more like the way I use to eat.  

Fast forward, and now I can see and better understand the logic behind the science. 

So here I am today willing to give this another try, except this time I plan to follow the program to a "T" and no be so arrogant in thinking I know better.  I've been going through the book again and cleaning out my kitchen refrigerator and pantry this week. I will probably start in the next few days once I have a few more staples on hand and find a few 'go to' recipes to put meals together in a snap. 

With the holiday here, typically it might be difficult to adhere to a new diet, however, my husband and I are empty nesters and he told me he would support me through the program being it's just going to be the two of us this year. We'll probably do a couple of Cornish game hens along with some W30 friendly side dishes on Christmas and call it a day.

I need to do this.  I want to do this. I want stop feeling so crappy and get my life back because my health has been suffering for quite some time.  One never truly appreciates their health until they loose it. 

I don't know if anyone is reading this or not, but I'm tossing this out into the open in hopes I will find some sort of support here. 

What I need are a few W30 breakfasts to get me started. I've already found some good meat and veggie dishes to cover lunch and dinner, but I probably need a few more.

Whoever reads this, thanks for hearing me out.

Cheers,

Jenny

What I need are a few W30 breakfasts to get me started. I've already found some good meat and veggie dishes to cover lunch and dinner, but I probably need a few more.

Welcome back!

Start by thinking about breakfast as "Meal 1" and that opens up endless possibilities.  You can have the same foods at meal 2 and meal 3 as you do at meal 1, and vice-versa.  

That being said, the Recipe Sharing forum is a great place to browse.  You can also Google Whole30 breakfast to get links to past discusssions on this topic (best way to search the forum is via Google).

Looking back and learning from your mistakes is a wonderful first step towards success. You can do this with your revised attitude. And as cfchris suggest, thinking of meals 1 thru 3 takes away the association you typically make with what you used to have for breakfast, for example. Also, remember you do not need to eat three different meals every day. I grew comfortable having sliced sautéed yams and scrambled eggs for meal 1, it's simple, and the yams cook in about ten minutes. I started my who,e30 when potatoes were still "forbidden", and so I fell in love with yams, which keep me always satisfied until my next meal.

Love your idea of preparing corniche hens for Xmas... Think I will go for that this year. Thanks for the idea.

Good luck, and remember, we are here to support you.

Glad I just now checked... I didn't know people had responded.  I'll have to check my settings to see if I can receive emails or alerts for anything I post. 

I'm still cleaning out my kitchen... I started this week doing a complete spring cleaning and I'm prepping my kitchen to begin the challenge. For the most part, I'm already eating a Paleo type diet, with the exception of cheese, a daily glass of Shakeology and a square of dark chocolate daily, that's about the only thing I've had difficulty giving up.  I may go ahead and put off my W30 until January 1st as it seems to be a good way to start off the new year. I also need to build up a recipe collection of "go to's" so I can get thorugh the 30 days.   After all, they say those who fail to plan.. fail.  I really don't need another failure so I'm doing  allot of preparation. 

Tomorrow my new electric pressure cooker is due to arrive!  I've been collecting recipes to use it for meats, chicken etc..  It's suppose to make your food very moist and bring out the natural flavors... at least according to the Amazon.com reviews!  I understand the importance of eating real food and avoiding SWYPO, but with what's left, I would like to explore the culinary pleasures of eating REAL food for once in my life.  I also just picked up a copy of the Meditarranean Paleo cookbook.  it seems to have allot of W30 friendly recipes with a few I may have to modify to keep me on track.  I have to say that if after seeing all the scrumptious Paleo recipes out there, If eating Paleo is wrong.. I don't want to be right!  There is no reason to ever feel deprived.  I'm looing forward to enjoying lots of fresh, wholesome fruits, vegetables, seafood, chicken and meats along with the W30 approved fats.  

I've dealt with weight issues since i was a teenager.  I have a good friend that I've known since 9th grade (we're in our 50's now) and we both have struggled with keeping our weight down all these years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in my 20's and have been taking supplemental thyroid medicine since then  In recent years, my doctor put me on Metformin for diabetes as well as cholesterol lowering meds and blood pressure pills as well as a daily dose of aspirin.  I felt doomed to a life of medications and metabolic syndrome.  My friend also has Hashimoto's.  This past year we both set out to see what we could do to get to the root cause and have discovered that grains are evil to our bodies.  She took the functional medicine approach while I've been following an elimination diet.  We both have given up grains and have phenominally discovered that our thyroid is beginning to heal itself!!   I have gone from .200 to .175, .150 to .137 with my Synthyroid meds in the past year.  As of this week I'm now on .125 & .137 (I take alternating doses every other day).  My TSH has been completely wacko since giving up grains!  The doctor has never seen anyone heal their thyroid.  As a nurse, neither have I. I was told for years that thyroid disease was not curable; that once you get it, you're stuck with it for life. 

I don't know if I'll ever get completely off my medications due to years and years of damage to my thyroid, but I would at least like to get down to as small a dosage as possible.  I also would like to see if it's possible to work my way off some of my other medications for diabetes and cholesterol.  I admit to being a wee bit concerned about eating all this meat.  After years of being conditioned to eating less meat and more whole grains, I have concerns about this making my cholesterol worse  or negatively impacting my health. On some level I know the tide is changing, as the research coming in, shows that low carb diets, once considered unhealthy, are making a come back. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around this way of eating, yet, I have already seen results.  I'll get there. 

I'm hoping that 2015 will be a year of new beginnings.  It's been a tough year and a half for me and I'm anxious to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I will definitely be reaching out to everyone on this forum for support as well as to offer it where I can.  I had such a stinky attitude the last time I was here that I'm actually ashamed.  I see where it got me, so now I'm returning with more humility and willingless to do the W30 as outlined.  No excuses.  No complaing.  No more looking for 'loop holes' to have SWYPO!  This time I'm here to learn and grow and make change for the better.

Love love, kiss kiss..

Jenny

In order to get notified each time somebody posts here, you can click on "follow this topic" on the right of your header...pressure cookers are great... It cooks everything in a fraction of the time, I've been using them for years...

I had done that, but still was not receiving emails.. I finally just went into my settings and found that I had not set the 'type' of notification to receive emails.  I just did and your post came through with flying colors!  :)  Yippie!!!

Do you have any favorite W30 pressure cooker reipes you especially enjoy and could share here?   I'm all ears.  :)

Archived