November 2014 Whole 30, post whole30 log

Dem

I have created this thread for anyone that did whole30 in November 2014 and wants to stay in touch.

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I know today will be hard, just trying to get back on track. I have several veggie sides prepped and ready to go in the fridge, so that should help. I just have to focus on why I am doing this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much for setting this up!

Abigayle - I had hamburger for breakfast not too long ago - hard to believe I used to only be able to eat muffins and scones (or leftover pie.)  

I am trying to go for longer but I inadvertently had a food-without-breaks moment this weekend.  I ordered the coconut wraps and decided to use one for breakfast with some almond butter and very thinly sliced apple.  It was good but the problem was it totally awakened my sugar dragon and I quickly gobbled up two more of the same.  The total amount of food (maybe slightly more than a tablespoon of almond butter and half an apple) wasn't horrible but I felt super stuffed and yucky after I ate and it seems to have re-awakened my sugar cravings.  These last few days have definitely been harder and I am now thinking about goodies and perseverating on future decisions (like maybe in two weeks on vacation I'll drink wine.)   Three days ago I wasn't missing anything in particular; now I'm feeling hungry more frequently and definitely craving some sweets.  

I know this is not supposed to be a 365 day reset but I am feeling like I will never swing the food "addiction."  

Hey guys! I hope more people take advantage of our post whole30 log here! It is nice to be in a group with something like this :) I have allowed some sugar but I think that is the only thing I am really eating any different. I really love the way I feel eating whole30. I am in for another one in January! However, for the next one I am going to get nuts and nut butters away from me. Sometimes I feel really bloated and heavy after I eat them...anyone else feel this way? Its definitely a no brake food for me! Also, any sort of dried fruit or plantain chip/banana chips. They really aren't any better than some other types of snacks food right? So definitely none of them in January! 

Even though I am post-official whole30 I am still embracing some new veg and meat combos. I just cubed and roasted an entire eggplant and it was absolutely delicious!! I love the fall/winter veg varieties. 

I hope everyone is looking forward to a happy (and healthy) Christmas season. I wish you all the best :))

Thanks for starting this up! I am definitely finding the sugar dragon is substantially more calm after this second W30 than after my first. Even if each W30 only gives me incremental control over my sugar cravings, I'm ok with that. I've got time ;)

Does everyone have a holiday season "plan of attack" for their dragons?

Well I am not sure what I am doing now. I gave in to the sugar dragon and now I feel like I am back to my old ways. Not sure if I will continue to post here.

First of all, don't be so hard on yourself. You're not going to undo years of habits in 30 days. It's all about learning and discovery. Give yourself a break. Sugar is tasty and hard to resist.

What's going on? You don't have to be "back to your old ways" because of one or two or even three bad meals. Put it behind you and keep trying. We're all here with you and struggling just like you are!

Thanks KayKay. Two days ago I totally binged and then yesterday i listened to that inner voice telling me my life sucks and I might as well eat sugar. Ate a bunch of chocolate and hubby's special sugar cookies. I knew though, while I was eating the cookies, that I wouldn't be able to eat enough to satisfy that little voice and my cravings. I am feeling better now. Eating a compliant breakfast helped. Now I am making another spaghetti squash turkey casserole for the freezer. Today we are going to grind some hamburger from the cow we butchered yesterday (in-laws are cattle ranchers). That will keep me busy and I won't be sitting around the house feeling sorry for myself.

So I am feeling optimistic. For now.

Good for you! See, you're already turning it around. (Mmmm, fresh ground beef sounds amazing.)

I like to think of all of this as a journey, not a plan that I'm either doing right or doing wrong. It's like hiking up a hill - some days, when I'm in the middle of a W30, I've got a quick, even pace and I'm trucking up that hill. Other days, like on the weekend when I had three (amazing) slices of pizza, I tripped and stumbled on my hike. But I don't look down the hill and think, "That's it, I tripped. I should just go back to the bottom." I just get up, brush myself off, and keep heading up. And I don't look back - e.g. I do NOT regret that pizza.

It sounds like today is going to be a better day for you. Enjoy that casserole and beef!

2babies2kidsmom-

Don't beat yourself up! You need to be your biggest supporter in this lifestyle change. Things that have been ingrained in us for years aren't going to be broken in only 30 days. :) Now you can see that eating complient breakfasts help etc etc...

I like to say that the journey forward is only enjoyable if you embrace how far you've come! Be proud of yourself :)

I completely agree with KayKay - don't be too hard on yourself.  We have years of eating habits that are hard to shake - sugar especially.  Somewhere on the blog I read a post about off-roading/not regretting choices that you make with awareness.  In other words, if you decide to eat something enjoy it.

I have a question that I need some guidance on (not sure if MissMary is on this board or if anyone has thoughts about this.)  I am going to be eating in a restaurant for 7 days (taking a cruise) so even though I am planning to stay compliant I am sure that there may be ingredients included in things that are not on plan.  For example - a salad dressing that has added sugar (even though they waiter says it is only vinegar, oil and spices.)  Even if I am trying to follow the program I have to assume that over the week things are bound to creep in.  Do I consider myself off plan and start back at day1 when I get home?  Or do I call it day 43 and figure that unless I knowingly eat something non-compliant I'm ok?

2babies2kidsmom-

First of all, thank you for starting this. Secondly, dont beat yourself up at all. I have said it numerous times but, for me, the sugar dragon wont disappear in 30 days. I havent been whole 30 compliant in the last week since I finished. I started picking at stuff out of old habits. I had that moment of beating myself up but then I said tomorrow is another day (but not in the dramatic Scarlett O'Hara way). Lets see if I can do better. Before I would have gone hog wild if I slipped. And then starved myself the next day. You are not alone. Keep on going...you are in a better position than a month ago?

Kaykay: my plan is to have no plan...sounds stupid but here is my logic. If I plan for something I dont know if I will fully enjoy it. I still havent had alcohol because a special opportunity hasnt presented itself. Just having it for the sake of it has lost its appeal. I just keep trying to ask myself if its special or worthwhile and if it isnt then I pass. I got two chocolates as part of an xmas gift yesterday, ate them, but they didnt taste special. On Saturday, im going to a fancy three course xmas meal. One of the options was beef wellington...could have had salmon and usually would have, but I havent had beef wellington before so it feels special. Will I eat the pastry its encased in? Maybe but only if its good. Thats what im trying for now. This may not work for me in a week but if it doesnt im goung to keep going till I find something that does. I dont expect quick solutions anymore because I wont stick with it and I would like to find something that works for me :)

So much positive energy in this group, I love it! Today is day 31 for me - I got a great result from my scale this morning (I am well below my "scary" number now!  phew - may my weight never again start with a 3!!!)  I really don't know what to expect from the next couple of days - I am going to try to reintroduce things slowly... I don't have much of a sugar dragon - instead I have a lazy/savory dragon that craves quick junk (like that comes out of a vending machine). That's not healthy mentally or physically, but staying away from them forever isn't realistic either.  

I plan on having wine with dinner on Friday, but I've got to get my head in a place that allows for moderate off-roading before I do much else.    After years off and on weightwatchers or myfitnesspal, the most exciting part of my whole30 is the fact that I was not obsessing - measuring everything, writing it down, suffering through a dinner of carrot sticks because I had too much pizza for lunch - honestly all those "healthy habits" turned me into a nutcase.   To borrow KayKay's analogy, with the food journaling it was like I woke up every morning at the bottom of the hill, no matter how far I'd gotten the day before - so sliding back down when I screwed up seemed like the obvious choice (gee, I already blew it today, I guess I'll have dessert too so that tomorrow is a "good day").   This isn't just one day at a time for me - it's seriously one bite at a time.    

I had a big win last night too - nibbling on pomegranate seeds while watching TV.   I thought wait, I'm not even hungry! and actually managed to put them away!

I follow several online female trainers/fitness & nutrition bloggers, and they all really promote self-compassion and self-trust when it comes to eating, and eating the best possible foods for your body (e.g. Whole 30, paleo) but also allowing yourself to enjoy something that is off plan if that is what your heart truly desires.

. I can think of half a dozen recent posts from them that really speak to what many of us are experiencing here, but this is a good one.

http://www.negharfonooni.com/2014/09/22/5foods/

A good day here. Did have some cravings but got through them, and then treated myself to a grilled steak for dinner. I know tomorrow is going to be tough.

KayKay, I liked that post. The thing is, I wasn't eating cookies and candy because I really love them. I was upset and stressed, and I was just using them for comfort. That kind of comfort doesn't last long, and doesn't make me feel good about myself later. Someday I hope to be in a place where I can eat just a little bit of something unhealthy and then go back to eating well, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Today I heard that little voice in my head telling me I'll never make it through the day, and I looked at my kids and thought, " in ten years they will be teenagers. What will our lives look like in ten years if I start taking care of myself now? What will our lives look like if I don't take care of myself? What if I don't take care of myself, and I get diabetes? Or worse?" They are so dependent on me right now, and like it or not I have to do this, if not for me, then for them.

I have a question that I need some guidance on (not sure if MissMary is on this board or if anyone has thoughts about this.)  I am going to be eating in a restaurant for 7 days (taking a cruise) so even though I am planning to stay compliant I am sure that there may be ingredients included in things that are not on plan.  For example - a salad dressing that has added sugar (even though they waiter says it is only vinegar, oil and spices.)  Even if I am trying to follow the program I have to assume that over the week things are bound to creep in.  Do I consider myself off plan and start back at day1 when I get home?  Or do I call it day 43 and figure that unless I knowingly eat something non-compliant I'm ok?

Here's my take:whole30 is 30 days for a reason. You completed it! Now comes the hard part, which is figuring out how to make this work as a long term lifestyle.

I would consider this trip to be a great time to test things out. Over the course of the trip, make decisions about foods as you encounter them. If you don't know what is in a dressing, but you feel like the salad is worth it, try it. See how you feel, keep going. When you get back you can evaluate whether relaxing a little worked or did not work. Did it lead to feeling terrible (or just not great)? Did it lead to cravings or eating off-plan stuff that wasn't worth it (snowball effect)? Were you more hungry or low energy? Whatever the result you can use that information to guide you the next time you are in that situation, and, if you don't feel quite as great when you get home, you know exactly how to eat to get back to feeling good. Have a great trip!

A good day here. Did have some cravings but got through them, and then treated myself to a grilled steak for dinner. I know tomorrow is going to be tough.

KayKay, I liked that post. The thing is, I wasn't eating cookies and candy because I really love them. I was upset and stressed, and I was just using them for comfort. That kind of comfort doesn't last long, and doesn't make me feel good about myself later. Someday I hope to be in a place where I can eat just a little bit of something unhealthy and then go back to eating well, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Today I heard that little voice in my head telling me I'll never make it through the day, and I looked at my kids and thought, " in ten years they will be teenagers. What will our lives look like in ten years if I start taking care of myself now? What will our lives look like if I don't take care of myself? What if I don't take care of myself, and I get diabetes? Or worse?" They are so dependent on me right now, and like it or not I have to do this, if not for me, then for them.

Glad you had a good day! I hear you on the stress eating, it is instinctual and hard to turn off. What if you just didn't have that stuff in the house to begin with...is that a possibility?

Glad you had a good day! I hear you on the stress eating, it is instinctual and hard to turn off. What if you just didn't have that stuff in the house to begin with...is that a possibility?

No. My hubby is the kind of person who can keep stuff around and only eat a little at a time. He doesn't see why he shouldn't be able to have junk food when he doesn't have any issues with it. We have gone in circles on this for years. I have begged him not to keep it around, asking him if he would keep alcohol in the house if I were an alcoholic. He gets mad at me when I eat up his whole stash. He says he works hard and deserves a treat. I wish he could see that it's not just about the two of us anymore. The big kids sneak ice cream cones every day. It could be worse though. His parents keep so much crap around. They have bags and bags of candy all over their kitchen. I used to hate myself after spending time at their house, but I am learning to live with it.

The other thing is these cookies that he has are not something I would normally go crazy about. Maybe the problem is that they are sitting in the middle of my counter. I will ask him to find a new spot for them, out of sight.

I guess I shouldn't rail on hubby too hard. I am the one who bought the m&ms that started this whole mess. I was saving them for the kids' stockings. Now I am asking myself, did I really need to buy their Christmas candy a month in advance? No. And why did I choose my own favorite candy? Was I sub-consciously planning on going off the rails?

Some stream of consciousness this morning, as I was cleaning my floor:

Realizing once again that the extra time it takes to plan Whole30 meals, chop veggies, and cook more is an investment in me, versus the time suck that is eating sugar.  When I eat sugar I spend alot of time planning how to get the kids occupied with other things so they won't see me eating that garbage, and I spend alot of time thinking about what I'm going to binge on.  Then I spend alot of time afterwards being mad at myself and acting grumpy towards my family.  On top of that I'm left with less energy and motivation to clean house, cook healthfully for the rest of the family, do homeschool, etc.  Basically less energy, time and motivation to live my life.    

Archived