Fitbit & Half marathon

mgm612

Hello!

I'm curious if anyone uses a Fitbit in conjunction with the whole9life? I've done a whole30 and am gearing up for 2 more. I received a Fitbit as a gift and mostly want to use it to track my sleep (to see how foods affect it) and activity. Does anyone else use it for other things and find it helpful?

I'm also going to be training for my 3rd half marathon. Any tips for being on the whole30 while training?

Thanks!

I just did a half marathon race while in the midst of my whole 30.  I fueled with a larabar (but made note of the calories which are a lot more than a gel).  It wasn't too hard but you have to be used to eating while running.  Post race (and pre race) I used a sweet potato/apple/cinnamon mixture for carbs that was delicious. I just found it on the internet.  Good luck.

Depending on how close you have stayed to Whole30 since your last one you might experience about 2 weeks of "lead leg" at the beginning of your Whole30. Don't worry about it, just be gentle while your body adapts. Avoid eating fruit or starchy vegetables within the hour before your runs and make sure you get enough starchy vegetables in your later meals to keep your glycogen stores up. I was doing half marathon training during my first Whole30 and was able to do all my long runs and my race without any fuel aside from coconut water. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

I have a Misfit that I just got.  I use it mostly to try to get 10,000 steps every day (not counting exercise).  As a nurse with 2 dogs I usually get to 10000.  But looking down at my wrist to see the monitor makes me think "I should stop surfing the web and move a little".  I look at my sleep data but don't take it to heart because the days I feel most rested are often the days it says I got 2 hours of quality sleep :)  Oddly enough I don't think the mileage is very accurate on the Fitbit (I have one of those too) but the elevation is almost spot on.  I do a lot of hiking and the elevation gain for hikes always matches up better to my fitbit than my husband's GPS :)

I got the fitbit zip for Christmas. It only tracks calories burned and distance, so I keep it on during my runs and at work (fellow nurse here!).  I noticed it's more accurate than some of the running apps I've been using. Although the calories burned logs seem kind of high...

I'm also training for a half marathon in March while starting my 1st whole 30 this week. Good luck!

I work in retail, and my store sells fitness trackers. I bought a Vivofit and then won a fitbit zip in an employee contest. I use them both, and of course my GPS watch when I run. I nerd out on this stuff and it is helpful in my job. I found that the mileage on both the Vivofit and the Fitbit come pretty close to my GPS most of the time.  My daily step totals are pretty high thanks to running and working retail, but I find it does inspire me to keep on the move and get off the sofa on my days off. Many of my coworkers use them, and we get into some fun competitions too. Also I love sleep tracking because it motivates me to get to bed on time. Ditto others on the lara bars. That is my long run food when I'm doing whole 30. Good luck with your training! 

I just started using a fitbit one to track my sleep and remind me to get up and around while working on the computer. Now that I've had it awhile, I've stopped obsessing and just pay attention to those stats. I'm also beginning half-marathon training while starting Whole30. My main problem is planning! I'm leaving work on my way to the gym with no preworkout snack, starving. Wondering if there is anything one could pick up at a cafeteria that's compliant. Today I'll just tough it out, but if anyone has snack inspirations, I'm all ears!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived