Whole30 & Coutning Macros???

kaf24

Has anyone transitioned from Whole30 to counting macros?  I am trying to eat Whole30 foods & count macros.  I keep going "over" on my fat.  While they are all healthy fats, I want to try to match up my Whole30 eating & counting macros.  Anyone else?  Please don't tell me that they work against eachother, I am trying to make them work together, as I did my actual Whole30 June 1-July 1 & have continued eating Whole30 foods, but not strict Whole30 (3 meals/day, etc).  

A macronutrient is any of the nutritional components of the diet that are required in relatively large amounts: protein, carbohydrate, fat, and minerals such as calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, and phosphorous.

A calorie is the amount of energy required to heat up one kilogram of water one degree Celsius.

"Counting macros" is something you can do after a Whole 30.   After a Whole 30,  you choose.   You choose to complete a reintroduction phase or not.   You choose which foods you want to add back into your life.   You choose.   

What I do after a Whole 30 is a choice I make every single day.    I choose to not count calories, macros, points, steps, miles or grams of fat.  I did follow the book and completed a slow roll reintroduction phase.   Now I choose to follow my arrow wherever it leads....but my arrow is staying mostly in the Whole 30 lane.  It is my maintenance plan.   It works for me.  

You choose what works for you.

I keep going "over" on my fat.

Here is the thing: as Lily suggest, you get to decide post-whole30 if you want to count macros, BUT if you do, you do need to be sure that your reference range for these macros matches your nutritional goals. Who is deciding what number of fat grams is "the right" number? Just because it is published in a calculator or programmed into an ap does not mean it is right for your body. In fact, chances are very good that the fat reference range is too low.

In my mind, everyone is different, and will have a different macro profile that works for them. Remember being on whole30 and being told to eat enough fat to keep you going until the next meal etc?

So the first thing to do when you transition would be to plug a few of your whole30 meals that made you feel really good into the macronutrient calculator, then aim for those figures

Disclaimer: I don't count macros any more, it made me crazy

Here is the thing: as Lily suggest, you get to decide post-whole30 if you want to count macros, BUT if you do, you do need to be sure that your reference range for these macros matches your nutritional goals. Who is deciding what number of fat grams is "the right" number? Just because it is published in a calculator or programmed into an ap does not mean it is right for your body. In fact, chances are very good that the fat reference range is too low.

How would I know if I was 80/20  or  90/10 ....in the pocket Paleo.    I know someone must have the formula.  I don't know how to count a macro from a mackerel and I don't know if I'm a quart low.  :D 

I am post Whole-30 by 4 months, as I mentioned in the original post, hence my desire to look into combining Whole30 & counting macros. 

While I appeciate the feedback & opinions, no one has answered my original question as I am looking for resources of people who have done so, HAS ANYONE COMBINED WHOLE30 & COUNTING MACROS?  

Anything we choose to do after a Whole 30 that incorporates counting macros is not a Whole 30.   It is our own revised version.

Counting macros is similar to SWYPO.   It is the swapped out version of a Whole 30.   Counting WW points...combined with a Whole 30 is another swapped out version.   You can add or take away anything you choose to do.   It's not a Whole 30 but we don't need any permission to count macros after a Whole 30.   It's our call.

3315.jpg

5-1-5-0...somebody call the the Whole 30 POPO....nuh huh.

Officer+Writing+Ticket+III+5025.jpg

No one is looking over my shoulder.    I am flying fearless.  

Best wishes on your journey forward.   

@kaf24, my W30 in January will be ketogenic, so I'll be counting macros.

I've counted macros in the past and done W30s in the past, but this will be my first time combining them. Be back to answer your question on Feb 1st......;)

Archived