3 squares? How important is getting 3 template meals per day?

Aila

Hi folks,

I've been Whole30'ing since late August of this year, so about 3.5 months now, and I plan to continue until I am at a normal weight and feel robustly healthy.  I feel great and love this way of life.  So, my question isn't really about being in a "rough patch" at all, but is more about compliance.

I really love the meal template concept and it helps me make sure to get the macro nutrients.  I don't snack.  But I am noticing the longer I'm doing this that I sometimes don't want three meals a day.  Fairly often, if I have a later breakfast, I don't want a lunch and would rather just have dinner.  I want to be compliant and I don't want my metabolism to slow down to a glacial pace.  But on the other hand, I do want to be able to be responding naturally to my appetite, and it feels yucky to make myself eat a meal when I'm not hungry.

Guidance? 

Thanks!

Post whole30, you need to figure out what works for you. I would not recommend this for someone just starting the whole30, but if you are in a good hormonal place and two meals per day is working for you have at it. Be flexible enough in your approach to respond to your hunger and satiety cues each day and, if you find over time that you are having trouble sleeping or recovering from exercise or if necessary weight loss slows, consider the possibility that this two-meal per day plan might be the reason.

Miss Mary is telling you true.   I experimented with 2 meals aday for a short time.   It didn't work for me, at all.

scarlett2_0.gif

Tom Denham reports that he's lost 30 lbs over the course of 15-18 months.  The continued results came with continued due diligence.  Dialing it down may work for pro athletes but it did not work for me.    I immediately returned to breakfast within 1st waking hour, lunch and dinner.    I started clicking back down the railroad track.    There's no need for me to change a winning game or change horses midstream.    I won't do that again.

The interesting thing for me is that you say this happens on the days you have a later breakfast.

Perhaps, physiologically, you are in essence skipping breakfast and having an early lunch on those days, and not wanting a second lunch. Before experimenting with 2 meals a day, I would try bringing the breakfast back as early as you can make it and see what happens

• Administrators

I do this (post-whole30) on most weekends and find that it works perfectly for me.  We get up and tend to enjoy coffee for awhile before getting mobile and making breakfast.  I usually make a larger breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays because we are out of the house and on the run and I find that I'm happier not having to eat than having to try to find or bring something compliant that won't hurt my stomach.

We will eat dinner earlier on those days if we feel hungry and of course if we are hungry mid day when "we shouldn't be" based on breakfast, we always get something to eat.

But post Whole30 I personally have not had a problem with changing my own personal template to include different meal timing on weekends.  Monday to Friday we eat our three full meals and no snacks at our normal timing.

Experimentation to see what works best for YOU is where it's at!

What do you mean by 3 template meals per day? I am new to Whole30 and plan to start Jan 2, 2015. Any good advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome!

For best results, the recommendation is to design your meals to fit the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat per the meal template.  You want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

On your way to getting there, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.

If you haven't read the Whole30 intro materials yet, start here.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Chris! I got it. I already started on Sunday, 1/4. I eat breakfast at 6:30 am and I am starting to get really hungry at 11:30, so that is perfect, I think. One question I have is when to fit in my schedule to eat some fruit. I am full after each meal and if I eat some fruit after dinner, will that mean that I am satisfying a craving for something sweet?

One question I have is when to fit in my schedule to eat some fruit. I am full after each meal and if I eat some fruit after dinner, will that mean that I am satisfying a craving for something sweet?

Fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you are full after your meal of protein, veg and fat, then that's it - no need for added fruit.  :) 

If you are to have fruit, the advice is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. Also, have the fruit with or immediately after your main meals only, not as a snack in between or later on.

Archived