Oxtail stew

Hutlifr

Ingredients: 8 large oxtail pieces, 2 large onions, bay leaf, 2 large potatoes, a handful green beens or asparagus, 2 large carrots (veggies are to add color, so pick whatever you like), salt and pepper.

Salt your chunks of oxtail on all side. You need to use lots of salt. Add pepper. Heat oil in a skillet, and brown the oxtails on all sides until they are dark brown. Remove them from pan and add the onions and brown them. I then put the meat and the onions with 2 cups of water and bay leaves into a pressure cooker and cook them for 45 minutes or til tender. You can also use a slow cooker. The meat needs to practically fall off the bone. Then add the veggies last and cook them til tender. In pressure cooker it takes about three minutes. Mix it all up and you got your oxtail stew.

It's very important to make sure you use enough salt before browning them. Lots and lots. You cannot over salt them!

post-47350-0-66422400-1418462595_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting...I made oxtail soup this past weekend.  It's similar but slightly different.  I don't salt in advance because I like to reduce the broth to get it lip smacky good.  Once it's reduced, then I salt.  If you salt in the beginning and then reduce, you can get salt licky, not lip smacky  :)

Make a broth out of oxtails in a slow cooker.  (add a couple carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, pepper, TBS cider vinegar).

When done remove everything out of the liquid, skim fat (or put in fridge and pick solidified fat off top).  Strain through a cheese cloth to get the brown bits out.

Toss the veggies but pick the meat off the bones. 

Reduce the broth for 20-30 mins

Add chopped carrots, parsnips, leeks (if you want), or any veggie that makes you happy.

Add meat from bones (maybe chop it a little to make it the same size as veggies.)

Simmer for 20 mins or so until veggies are tender.

Salt/pepper to taste.

Soooo good, you'll freak out!!

A farmer friend raises grass fed beef but unfortunately was out of soup bones on my recent shopping trip.  Instead I bought ox tail and made two dishes from it.  First I braised the meat (along with whole carrots, potato chunks & onion wedges) until brown then put them all into a stock pot with water and spices.  I let the stock cook slowly for hours then scooped out the solids.  I then canned two jars of beef stock and enjoyed ox tail soup with carrot, potato & onion for lunch.  

Thanks for sharing your ideas.  I hope you enjoy my little story. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

The one time I made oxtail stew it was so fatty I just couldn't take the mouthfeel - it was literally like chewing on pieces of fat instead of meat... is that normal or did I get an especially fatty tail or somehow cook it wrong?  I used my dutch oven and let it cook most of the day so I thought most of the fat would render off.

Ingredients: 8 large oxtail pieces, 2 large onions, bay leaf, 2 large potatoes, a handful green beens or asparagus, 2 large carrots (veggies are to add color, so pick whatever you like), salt and pepper.

Salt your chunks of oxtail on all side. You need to use lots of salt. Add pepper. Heat oil in a skillet, and brown the oxtails on all sides until they are dark brown. Remove them from pan and add the onions and brown them. I then put the meat and the onions with 2 cups of water and bay leaves into a pressure cooker and cook them for 45 minutes or til tender. You can also use a slow cooker. The meat needs to practically fall off the bone. Then add the veggies last and cook them til tender. In pressure cooker it takes about three minutes. Mix it all up and you got your oxtail stew.

It's very important to make sure you use enough salt before browning them. Lots and lots. You cannot over salt them!

Hi Hutlifr, Love All The Ingredients and Like To Savor Your Oxtail Recipe. Thanks for Sharing Recipe and Tip on Salting Oxtail.

Thanks for posting...I made oxtail soup this past weekend.  It's similar but slightly different.  I don't salt in advance because I like to reduce the broth to get it lip smacky good.  Once it's reduced, then I salt.  If you salt in the beginning and then reduce, you can get salt licky, not lip smacky  :)

Make a broth out of oxtails in a slow cooker.  (add a couple carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, pepper, TBS cider vinegar).

When done remove everything out of the liquid, skim fat (or put in fridge and pick solidified fat off top).  Strain through a cheese cloth to get the brown bits out.

Toss the veggies but pick the meat off the bones. 

Reduce the broth for 20-30 mins

Add chopped carrots, parsnips, leeks (if you want), or any veggie that makes you happy.

Add meat from bones (maybe chop it a little to make it the same size as veggies.)

Simmer for 20 mins or so until veggies are tender.

Salt/pepper to taste.

Soooo good, you'll freak out!!

Hi AllyB, Thanks for Sharing Your Tip on Lip Smacky Deliciousness, Like The fact Many Veggies Which Makes Your Recipe Healthy.

Archived