Day 23 and positive pregnancy test

Kya

I wanted to share this post because I looked everywhere for news just like this:

I am currently on day 23 of my very first Whole 30, and just received a positive pregnancy test yesterday! It's still very early ( only 3 weeks) but I know that the Whole 30 had to have something to do with our success. We've been trying for about 7 months and my W30 month I ovulated almost a 3 days earlier and noticed some favorable symptoms. Admittedly I began W30 with the goal of pushing the reset button on my eating habits but for sure in the back of my mind I hoped it would help with our conception efforts. In fact my sister in law who is an OB/GYN was concerned that this eating change could be a detriment to our efforts and affect them negatively! But I trusted my gut and did it anyway. So glad I did! Maybe coincidence, but I think not. Best wishes in all of our endeavors!

This might be covered elsewhere, but I'm on my phone so searching is a pain ...

Is there any science to pregnancy cravings, or is that a modern Western society thing? Were pregnant Siberians 100yrs ago saying ”honey, could you step outside the yurt and get me some yak blubber with sage crumbles"?

Should a mom-to-be clamp down on cravings the same way us regular folks do? I realize it's a loaded question, because of all that folk stuff like "the baby will tell you what it needs", but I figure if anywhere, the good people of the W30 forum would be able to filter through that.

Or if as a guy the answer is "nunya" that works too. :D :D

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  CONGRATULATIONS, Kya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think your sister's advice might be based on the assumption that you'd be in a caloric deficit.  Weightloss diets can make it harder for your body to get pregnant because your body doesn't think it's getting enough nutrients to nourish two beings.   I think your choice to just eat healthy in a Whole30 makes a lot of sense for someone trying to get pregnant-  your body knows it's being very well nourished!

I don't know about cravings, kirkor, but there's definitely science behind food aversions during pregnancy.  I would ignore cravings to eat 12 pounds of chocolate, but I'd follow cravings to eat mangos & chicken & pickles.  So, make choices within the guidelines but allowing your body to guide your choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations!!   I too wish I had known about his program with my first pregnancy in 2011.  I was a slave to the glazed donut, I felt as if I was a puppet to a donut master.  I am still carrying some of the 58 lbs I gained, even after a second pregnancy, thankfully without bad sugar cravings.  I am on day 2 of my first Whole30 and I am excited to finally take control of my eating. 

This is meant to be!  What a perfect time to become pregnant, use your new habits and have an amazing pregnancy!  

Yay!  Congrats! 

When I was preggers, I had cravings for fattening things....mostly it was cheesecake.  I think it was because my body just wanted to put on some fat to get ready to have a baby.  Had I been a cave girl, I probably would have hogged the fattiest cuts of meat or just gone straight for a handful of fat.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I did finish out the Whole 30 after I found out.  I think it has helped to redirect my cravings for sure ( last night I craved boiled eggs and pickles).  Not the worst thing you could eat at 9pm.  I have learned to not be so hard on myself and to enjoy this phase :) I'll do another Whole 30 after 9 months!

Hopefully your cravings are like mine---for the first I craved ice cubes and pineapple and the second it was ice cubes and cabbage (I would go through 5 pounds of ice a week--my poor husband had to stop and get bags of ice all the time). My kids now still love to eat ice cubes---don't know if that is a coincidence. Good luck with the pregnancy and the baby :) Such a fun thing.

Archived