Can someone help me find my resolve?!?

sholmes

I know I'm not the only one to ever experience this.

You finish the whole 30 (September 20th), feeling great, feeling proud...you reintroduce foods and realize there aren't many that have a really negative impact on you. Ever so slowly, you do what you promised yourself you wouldn't do...you start having all of those foods on the regular. You start feeling more tired, your eyes look puffier, you feel bloated and you desperately want to feel how you felt when you were on the whole 30 but you can't seem to get back to that place because you love being able to eat what you want and the taste junk food so much.

As I'm writing this, I'm shaking my head at myself. It's like, I know what I have to do to feel good again but I can't seem to find the resolve to do it. I've tried to start my second whole 30 twice and both times, I ended up treating myself on the weekend and never seemed to get back on track. The thing is, I don't even love eating some of the things I find myself eating - it's more the habit of it.

With it being the holidays (and our household's work schedules are crazy right now), it's feeling impossible to get focused and back to that place where I felt like a million bucks.

I've read some posts on similar topics and I'm hoping that someone can share some ideas to reset me and help get my head back in the game. I'm going to start reading ISWF again and hopefully that helps. It just seems like my resolve is completely gone.

Any insight or stories of coming back from this place would be so helpful.  :)

• Moderators

I totally understand. It took me forever to get back on track between W30s. I would start, and a few days in, decide to have just a little something -- some chocolate, or some cheese, or a latte from Starbucks, whatever it was. I'd tell myself I'd just start again the very next day and it would be okay. I did that for months. What finally got me to actually commit to another Whole30 was doing one with my sister, so I had some extra accountability there. If you know anyone who is wanting to start one soon, that might be helpful -- or look around here in the forums and find a group that's started recently or will be starting soon.

If you think it's just not the right time to do another one right now -- and it might not be, and that's okay, there's even an article about why the holidays are not necessarily a great time to do a W30 -- make rules for yourself. It could be, I will be Whole30 compliant at home, maybe relaxing the no sugar in anything rule so that you can have bacon or salad dressing with a bit of honey or sugar in it, but when I go out to eat, I'm not going to question the waiter about every little thing in every sauce or dressing or marinade. Or it could be that you'll be Whole30 compliant for 19 of your 21 meals/week, or compliant with food, but allowing wine or beer, if that's what makes it hardest for you to be compliant. The point is, make rules that you think you can follow, in your circumstances. Write them down. Do your very best to follow them. And then, when life slows down a bit, and you feel like you can commit to a Whole30, go for it. 

Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up for not being able to jump right into a Whole30 and complete it successfully. It just means you're human. I think with a first Whole30, you're excited about doing something new and different and that excitement can help you stick to it. Now you've done one, and even though you know what the benefits will be to doing another, it's just not the same shiny new thing to try that it was before, so there's just not the same excitement. Add to that the stress of the holidays, and the stress of just life in general, and it is going to be harder to stick to it. When I feel that way, I just try to keep myself from veering so far off course that I completely undo whatever good I've done. If I say I'm going to do a Whole30 and only make it a few days in, that's still several meals that are healthier than what I probably would have eaten had I not committed to doing a W30 at that time. As long as I keep coming back to healthier foods, I don't think I've failed. I'm just taking a bit of a detour. Sure, I could get to my ultimate goal faster if I never left the path, but not all of us can manage that, and in that case, the best I can do is get back onto that path as soon as possible. 

I logged on to write this exact same post. I hear you and I empathize. I am planning to start my 2nd Whole30 on Jan. 2nd and I can't wait. But in the meantime I wake up each morning feeling awful, groggy, bloated, sad, with the resolve to do as many Whole1s as I can until my official start. I think I've made it through one :( I don't even eat that terribly, and mostly compliant during the day. But I am so busy with holiday that I don't have time to have the right food in my house and I end up with an empty plate at dinner. Last night I ate the kids' leftover french toast and woke up today feeling like I have a hangover. I'm over it… Jan 2nd can't come fast enough!!

And when Jan 2 comes to pass remember take one meal at a time, one day at a time.  One step in front of the other.  The second one is always much harder than the first.  Between now and Jan 1st take a look at whole 30 from a whole 9 perspective.  Meaning list out the reasons you want to do this again.  This list will help you re-focus and recommit.

I too will be committing to a whole 30 come Jan 2.  Simply because I have been doing a lot of stress eating lately. 

Thank you so much to everyone that responded to this post. I think you are right - I need to just pick a date to restart and then get myself set up for success (mentally and making sure I have the right stuff around the house). I think it will help to write down the reasons why I want to do this again - to feel clear, alert, energized, in control - and that will help me stick to it.

I've read many posts about it being harder the second time - does anyone have any tips on how to get excited about it again and stay focused?

I'm in the same boat, I did my whole30 back in June/July and felt pretty good for a bit and am back to old habits. I have heartburn every day, and I can't figure out what causes it. I'm going to reread it starts with food (I bought the new version in hardcover so I can lend it out later too). Once I'm done reading it, I'm going to plan my whole30. I'm hoping I'll have my own kitchen by the time I decide to do it. (I live with my parents and they're finally going to set up the basement as the apartment it was always supposed to be).

Good luck!

Sometimes the foods we've added in are part of the problem. It's not a treat if it makes you feel sick.

Dairy kicks off all my sugar cravings, zaps my energy and punches a big hit to my immune system.

Grains often give me a headache and depending on which ones, kick my inflammation into overdrive.

Re-read It Starts With Food, think about your 5 favourite meals from your last W30, plan some menus, find some new recipes you want to try, put the non-W30 things in a different part of the cupboard. Buy a Well Fed cookbook if you don't have one, or pick out a new recipe from her blog :)

The second time can be harder as you can be more complacent, it's easier to cut corners, be overconfident. Keeping a food log helps keep you on track, monitor for those foods with no brakes, not eating enough, etc.

Archived