Shirtaki noodles?

heatherglick

Thanks Tom - sorry for the redundancy.  I had searched but didn't find anything - I must have misspelled the food!

The easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it's been previously discussed here, you'll get links to the posts.

• 4 months later...

No. 

This is something we have discussed on the forum several times. Search for Shirataki and you will find your way...[/size]

Is there a different spelling b/c this is the last word on that topic and this info is not helpful, Tom. What happened to answering the same question 1,365 times as stated in the book? I would like to know the rationale for "nope". I understand spaghetti squats is a better choice but I can't always get my hands on one (May be seasonal).

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6035 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think not because they are not real food. They are a processed derivative of devil's tongue yam. Some shirataki noodles have a shelf life of one year, which is a sure sign you're not talking about real food. 

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6035 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

I like that you anticipated the answer was a definite no.  :) We have responded to the question of Konjac / Shirataki Noodles before, so you could search the forum and find earlier responses. Bottom line, going for low calorie foods during a Whole30 is an epic fail. The point of the Whole30 is to eat nutrient dense foods. This food product attempts to fill your stomach with a substance without actually providing you with any nutrition. Konjac / Shirataki Noodles are as wrong a choice for a Whole30 as a bowl of Kraft Mac and Cheese except the mac and cheese offers better nutrition. 

enee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• photo-8.png?_r=1406750837
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

just adding that though these are technically okay, they don't come from regular sweet potatoes or yams. they come from a different species of japanese sweet potato that's a) generally not eaten and  B) can cause some gut irritation/problems.

They're fine, but 1) we don't recommend them and 2) if you have gut issues (or AI issues) already, you may want to leave 'em out 

irsteen

Whole9 Moderator

• photo-thumb-5217.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1816 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

ChrisInColorado, on 07 Aug 2013 - 1:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi there.

Are Miracle Noodles allowed? http://www.miraclenoodle.com

They don't have anything but fiber....

Thanks!

Christie

Miracle noodles have no carbs and no calories because our body doesn't recognise them as food and cannot use them. If I said to you put this gas in your car but by the way the car won't recognise it and the engine can't use it - you'd think I was mad. Yet somehow humans now think it's acceptable to eat *food* that our bodies can't use. Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves  :) W30 is about eating real wholesome nutritious food that will nourish our bodies not 'stuff' that will provide us with absolutely nothing  so please, please no miracle noodles

Is there a different spelling b/c this is the last word on that topic and this info is not helpful, Tom. What happened to answering the same question 1,365 times as stated in the book? I would like to know the rationale for "nope". I understand spaghetti squats is a better choice but I can't always get my hands on one (May be seasonal).

Try this thread: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21531-konjac-shirataki-noodles/

Something you'll have to wrap your brain around in order to do a Whole30 is that we really want you to eat actual food, not food-like products made to simulate other unhealthy foods. We really really mean it when we say we want you to eat protein, fats, and veggies in quantity three times a day for 30 days. We really really mean it when we say we want you to change your relationship with food. Rather than looking to replace current habits with substitutes, just eat real food. Really.

I would suggest getting a spiralizer and spiralizing a real sweet potato or zucchini for veggie noodles rather than eating those ^ you will get more veg in your diet, which is always good and you will be eating real food! 

Archived