Sydney Kate's Log, starting 20 August 2012

Kate File

Day 1, 20th August 2012

Coffee with coconut milk (oops, not meant to have that before Meal 1)

B 2 eggs fried in ghee (hadn't yet done vegie shopping)

L Homemade compliant bolognaise sauce full of vegies

S Handful raw cashews (oops, not meant to have snacks)

D Atlantic salmon fillet, ghee, roast sweet potato and parsnips

Peppermint tea

Thoughts: Day 1 was a learning curve, trying to remember everything! No headaches or bad side effects. Went to bed early to read and fell asleep shortly after.

Day 2, 21st August 2012

B 3 eggs, mushrooms, 2 slices prosciutto fried in ghee

Black coffee

L Homemade compliant bolognaise sauce full of vegies

D Free range chicken fillet, coconut oil, baby spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, asparagus, cashews, prosciutto, avocado, avocado oil and balsamic vinegar

Organic vanilla tea

Thoughts: Wow, still no headaches, I'm surprised! Feel great and not at all deprived. Decided to continue going to bed early and reading for a good night's rest - so lights were out at 10.45pm. I don't get up til 7am so plenty of sleep.

Most difficult part was not being able to have my coffee first thing in morning to pep me up! I don't feel like eating straight away.

Thursdays and Fridays I take the kids to school and don't get home before 10.30 so I will have to look up ideas for quick and easy breakfasts.

Going to fish market to buy dinner for tonight. And trying a new organic butcher at Neutral Bay (any Sydney siders know it?)

Also going to buy Paleo cookbook I saw a few weeks ago.

Am all fired up!!!

Day 3, 22nd August 2012

B 3 eggs fried in ghee, prosciutto, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, strawberries

Coffee with coconut milk

L Leftover chicken, almond butter, medium avocado, cherry tomatoes, strawberries

D Prawns, garlic, sweet potato and parsnips

Peppermint tea

Feeling good, no headaches, early to bed.

Day 4, 23rd August 2012

B 2 eggs fried in ghee, 1 slice prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, strawberries

Coffee with coconut milk

Black coffee

L Homemade compliant bognaise with lost of vegies, 10 macadamias, strawberries

D Half a lemon and garlic roasted free range chicken, celery, carrots, sweet potato, parsnips

Peppermint tea

I think I might need to break one of the rules - I really need my coffee first thing in the morning. Had a good night sleep of 8 1/2 hours but felt lethargic and disinterested in anything this morning. So I went back to bed to read my book and fell asleep, wasting nearly 2 hours! Just need that coffee to kickstart my brain and energy in the morning. I guess I could try herbal tea as it may not be the caffeine so much as the habit and psychological thing.

I'd better start watching my nut intake. Is 10 macadamias too much?

I am already really savouring the natural flavours of things.

Day 5, 24th August 2012

B 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 medium avocado, 3 cherry tomatoes, 5 strawberries

Black coffee

L Organic fillet steak, ghee, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, an orange

D 5 prawns, tuna and salmon sashimi, 1 tsp soy sauce, baby spinach, avocado, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, balsamic vinegar

Peppermint tea

OK so I'll have to add 5 days to the end of my 30 days. Wasn't even worth it. But I tried the raw tuna on it's own and it was DISGUSTING!!! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat it again - it tasted like RAW FISH! I've always loved it with soy sauce and wasabi! So, given that that was my dinner that my husband and I had bought together at the fish market, and given that tuna sahimi is $60/kilo, I had to dab it in the soy sauce. I have to say though that I didn't enjoy it that much, one, knowing it was adding 5 days, and two, knowing what the fish actually tasted like under the soy sauce!

Day 6, 25th August 2012

B 2 eggs fried in ghee, mushrooms, half an avocado, strawberries

Coffee with coconut milk

L Smoked salmon, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, 3 slices prosciutto, strawberries

Organic licorice tea

D Organic roast pork with crispy crackling, roast carrots, parsnip and garlic, homemade apple sauce

Peppermint tea

Thoughts: I need to go shopping to add some variety but am still enjoying what I am having. LOVED eating the crackling with NO guilt! And I loved my homemade apple sauce (just pink lady apples stewed with a sprinkle of cinnamon)

Hi Kate, looks like you're doing really well.

I made Lime Chicken last night, it was really yummy. Someone else in the forum recommended it. I loved it so much I thought I'd pass on the recipe. It's really simple to make too.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cilantro-lime-chicken-with-avocado-salsa-10000001886432/

Enjoy.

Thanks Michelle

I looked up your recipe and it prompted me to finally google cilantro as I've seen it quite a bit in recipes on this forum. OMG it's just coriander!!! How funny! Never heard of cilantro!

Day 7, 26 August 2012

Organic licorice tea

B 3 fried eggs in ghee, 1/2 avocado, strawberries (run out of vegies!!!)

Coffee with coconut milk

L Roasted pumpkin soup with coconut milk, handful macadamias, an orange

D Handful pistachios and cashews, compliant bolgnaise sauce with lots of vegies, 2 handfuls dried apricots

Thoughts: Well at the end of my first week I have to say this is a lot easier than I thought it would be!!! I have the most amazing sweet tooth, yet I have not even had any sweet cravings! I think partly because every single meal has been loaded with protein, vegies and healthy fats and often finished with some fruit. At the end of each meal I have actually considered whether I am a fraction too full but figured that was a safer way to be, I have had no snacks between meals. The other factor may be knowing it is just a 30 day challenge, and because I have made it so public, here on the forum and with friends and family, I have no option but to just do it. No failure for me.

I even survived, quite happily, watching the rest of my family have homemade crepes for our traditional Sunday breaky with lemon and sugar, and then maple syrup. I had to dress my son's crepes and cut them up for him, and I managed NOT to lick the maple syrup off my finger - I let him do that!!! Of course I had my eggs beforehand so I was quite full, and sat eating my strawberries with the family.

Probably overdid the dried apricots with my dinner but I had no fresh fruit left in the house and felt I needed something to complete the lonely bowl of bolognaise (missing the regular spaghetti, fresh parmesan and extra tomato sauce!)

Learnt something today - the vegetable oils and seed oils are not forbidden! I thought they were. Of course I am not having them but good to know when I go to our school charity ball. I'll have to reread that chapter...

Bring on the next week!!!

Day 8, 27 August 2012

B Organic fillet steak, ghee, asparagus, 1/2 avocado, smoked eggplant relish, almond butter

L Leftover organic roast pork, asparagus, 1/2 avocado, smoked eggplant relish, mixed nuts in coconut butter

D Roast free range chicken, carrots, sweet potato, 4 fresh organic dates, strawberries

Thoughts: OMG those fresh dates were heavenly!!!

Day 9, 28 August 2012

B Organic fillet steak, ghee, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, an apple

Coffee with coconut milk

L Leftover organic roast pork, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, sugar snappeas, strawberries, 2 fresh organic dates, mixed nuts in coconut butter

D Organic lamb rogan josh, cauliflower rice pilaf and coconut crisps (all made from scratch from Well Fed), 1 fresh organic date

Thoughts: Felt great. I was in heaven cooking my rogan josh from scratch - the smell was divine! Driving my daughter to gym I kept smelling the spices on my hands and was so happy! My husband did comment that the curry did not have the sweetness of my usual curries but I thought it was great. Double portion in the freezer for a dinner next week. Walked to the gym in the sun and did my first yoga class.

One of my husband's best friends died yesterday from cancer and it really strengthened my resolve not to eat anything that is not positively healthy. We just don't know what causes cancer so why risk the processed foods with all their additives!

Day 11, Thursday 30 August 2012

B Leftover organic roast chicken cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, mixed nuts

Black coffee

L Mixed nuts, dried apricots (at a funeral, and after service no food compliant)

Peppermint tea

D Organic fillet steak, sweet potato, roast tomatoes, organic compliant beef sausage, frozen organic blueberries

Peppermint tea

Day 12, Friday 31 August

B. 2 boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes, strawberries

Coffee with coconut milk

L. Smoked salmon, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, mixed nuts in coconut butter

Black coffee

D. Prawns, garlic, baby spinach, pancetta, cherry tomatoes, avocado, walnuts, balsamic

Peppermint tea

Thoughts - 6 girls for sleepover and it felt so good not having any of the kids pizza, lollies or icecream!

Day 13, Saturday 1 September

Black coffee

B 2 fried eggs, ghee, sweet potato, tomatoes, strawberries (while 6 others had pancakes!)

Coffee with coconut milk

L Leftover chicken, almond butter, capsicum, a orange

D 2 organic compliant pork and fennel sausages, capsicum, parsnips and carrot chips in cumin and cinnamon (from Well Fed),pineapple, while rest of family had Thai takeaway!

Peppermint tea

Day 14, Sunday 2 September

Black coffee

B Smoked chicken, mixed nuts, dried apricots, peppermint tea

L Roast pork, homemade apple sauce, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, blueberries, rasberries

D Homemade bolognaise sauce with lots of vegies, blueberries, rasberries

Peppermint tea

Thoughts: Wow, I have completed 2 weeks and I still think it is fairly easy! Even survived Fathers Day luncheon where the other 3 adults were having nice wine and I made THEM a bread and butter pudding while I just ate berries. I was very excited to discover a range of deli meats which are compliant. Had to have a takeaway breakfast at my daughter's early horseriding lesson and the smoked chicken breast was perfect! And hooray, I am enjoying my black coffee now!!!

Day 15, Monday 3 September

B 2 fried eggs, ghee, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, an orange

Black coffee

L Leftover roast pork, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes

D 3 compliant sausages, carrot and parsnip chips in paprika

Peppermint tea

Day 16, Tuesday 4 September

B 2 fried eggs, ghee, prosciutto, fresh figs

Black coffee

L Shaved chilli chicken, punnet cherry tomatoes, mixed nuts in coconut butter

D Organic roast lamb, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots, escallots, garlic, 5 fresh dates (oops, too many), strawberries

Peppermint tea

Thoughts: Damn, I shouldn't have bought the big container of dates today!

Wow, so many days have gone my without me logging! But I have been diligent and compliant the whole time so not to worry!

Day 18, Thursday 6 September

B 2 eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, black coffee, strawberries (in cafe)

L Smoked salmon, avocado, cherry tomatoes, 3 dates

D Lamb rogan josh, cauliflower rice

Peppermint tea

Day 19, Friday 7 September

B 2 eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, black coffee (in cafe)

L Quarter BBQ chicken, mixed nuts

D Charity ball - no canapes, no alcohol, no dessert, sauces wiped off, no chocolates, 2 entrees with smoked ham, prosciutto, rocket and basil pesto, sundried tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant, half main of chicken, , half main of steak with beetroot and asparagus, 2 short black coffees

Obviously there may have been a tiny amount of sugar in the dinner at the ball, mainly in the ham, but I avoided all I could.

Day 20, Saturday 8 September

Black coffee

B 2 fried eggs, prosciutto, tomato, mushrooms

L Smoked salmon, avocado, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, an orange

D Leftover lamb rogan josh and cauliflower rice

Day 21, Sunday 9 September

Black coffee

B Smoked turkey breast (rushed out to horse daughter's riding)

Black coffee

L Leftover lamb rogan josh and cauliflower rice

D 2 organic beef sausages, sweet potato, rocket, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, walnuts, strawberries

Peppermint tea

Today my son had a friend over for a brownie making competition. I had NONE, not even a lick of my fingers! I was sad not to able to be one of the judges testing out the two different brownie recipes. But feel great now, having had none.

Day 22, Monday 10 September

B 2 organic, compliant chicken sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, strawberries

Black coffee

L Smoked kingfish, cherry tomatoes, macadamia nuts, blueberries

D Roast pork, organic baby apple sauce, sweet potato, roast carrots, parsnips

Peppermint tea

Day 23, Tuesday 11 September

Licorice tea

B 2 chicken sausages, an orange (ran out of vegies!)

L Leftover roast pork, baby apple sauce, sweet potato, carrots, mixed nuts

D 3 organic lamb chops, carrot and parsnip chips in cumin

Peppermint tea

Day 24, Wednesday 12 September

B 1 chicken sausage, 1 egg, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, blueberries

L

• 4 months later...

What a pity...it seems I didn't complete my log for my first Whole 30 and yet I did complete a perfect Whole30. I then went on to a paleo diet that was about 80/20 (paleo 80% of the time, relaxed 20% of the time) Then I read a few more books and did a "I Quit Sugar" thing for another month or so.

Then Christmas came along and the family went skiing in Whistler for 17 days and then straight on to a holiday house with another family. By then of January I had competely reverted to those bad habits and spent the last week or so eating all the bad stuff inpreparation for my new Whole 30 starting TODAY, 4th February 2013.

MY SECOND WHOLE 30 LOG

Day 1, Monday 4th February 2013

B 2 poached eggs, blueberries, slither of mango

L BBQ salmon (leftovers), sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, apple

D 3 lamb cutlets, sweet potato and parsnip chips in coconut oil and cumin, corn

I am so happy to be back on track. I had turned into a glutinous pig craving anything sweet. I can't wait to kill the sugar demon again and try and keep it away for longer this time. I feel good just knowing I am back on the programme.

Day 2, Tuesday 5th February

B 2 poached eggs, 2 slices prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, half an orange

L Frittata with sweet potato, coconut milk, onion, cauliflower and carrots

D Lamb curry with sweet potato

Peppermint tea, grapes

So psyched up I had a big cooking day making lamb curry and my first ever frittata. Made them at the same time using the same vegies so it was quite efficient! I will cut out the grapes after dinner but I felt I needed them tonight as dinner had been at 5.30 due to a school function and my cuppa was at 9.30. Mild headache when I went to bed but barely noticeable.

Day 3 Wednesday 6th February

B Frittata with sweet potato, coconut milk, onion, cauliflower and carrots

Snack as huge gap between these meals: banana

L Lamb curry with sweet potato

D Eye fillet steak with almond butter, sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, snowpea sprouts

Camomile tea

Again a headache in the evening, bad enough to take Panadol.

Felt great that I was able to make a double batch of cupcakes for my son's birthday AND ice them without even a tiny taste. A few times I nearly licked my finger accidentally but always managed to stop at the last second! Watched as kids and hubby enjoyed them warm out of the oven and then later when iced! Felt very pure.

Thursday 7th February 2013 - my son's 8th birthday!

L Lamb curry with sweet potato

D Atlantic salmon, sweet corn (couldn't have mashed potato and forgot to make extra vegies or salad for me)

Dessert: few grapes and blueberries (after serving up 5 portions of sticky date pudding!)

Camomile tea

Felt great today. Headache started in late afternoon, after lunch, but actually went away before I could get some Panadol.

Very difficult making toffee sauce (butter, cream and 2 CUPS brown sugar) for sticky date pudding for my son's birthday but I managed, again without even a lick of the fingers. Felt good about it afterwards.

Day 5 - Friday, 8th February 2013

L. Leftover Atlantic salmon, cherry tomatoes, sliver avocado

Nuts, peppermint tea

D. BBQ free range chicken, sweet potato

Camomile tea, plum

I don't think I had enough fat at lunch as I was hungry in the afternoon. I thought it was a small amount of nuts but afterwards my tummy was telling me I ate too many! I was over full.

Woohoo, first time roasting a whole chicken on the BBQ using the rotisserie. It was delicious!

Virtually my first plum of the season and it was amazing.

Archived