Cooking with oils

Mich

So I'm into day 4 of the Whole30 and really enjoying it, both the eating and cooking.

I am not used to cooking with oil though after years of using cooking sprays only. My question is should my food feel greasy, I made sweet potato fritters tonight (which were yum) but felt a little greasy. Not sure if this is just because I'm not used to cooking with fat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michelle

xoxo

Well I wouldn't think you'd want to use so much oil your foods seem greasy. If you use non-stick pans to saute, probably 1-2T. max to sear meats and veggies is all you need. Uncoated skillets may take a bit more, especially if you are sauteeing mushrooms or eggplant. I don't do much deep frying anymore, but if you drain on paper toweling, that food shouldn't be greasy either. I tend to "oven-fry" my veggies and meats on non-stick sheet pans nowadays.

But since you used the sprays for years, just about any REAL oil will probably make your food seem greasier than you have been accustomed to in the past.

Thanks for your advice Buttonl. I've pulled back on the amount of coconut oil which I use, this is partly because I'm not loving the flavour it gives dishes and that seems to work for me,

Archived