KETwhOle30

kirkor

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mashed, smashed,  baked white potatoes raise my blood sugar immediately.  I will  carry on without them.

Have I told you how great I feel when I eat fish every day?   It's rocket fuel.   My hair is growing in thicker and faster.

Fish, it's what's for breakfast.

My BPC (pretty standard):

6 oz Americano

(I get organic fair trade single-source low-toxin Mexican beans from my excellent local coffee shop, I have them grind it for me, and I use a Bialetti Musa stove-top espresso maker most mornings; otherwise I use my glass Bodum french press; my understanding is that using glass or metal without a filter is best for obtaining all of the health benefits of good coffee - have you also read that?)

2 T pastured butter

(I use Organic Valley Cultured Unsalted Butter - yummmy! - I prefer it to Kerrygold because it comes from the US, supports US farmers, and it is a farmer-owned co-operative, and because I've read that cultured butter is healthiest; it sure is the yummiest!)

2 T Brain Octane super-concentrated MCT oil from Dave Asprey/Bulletproof Exec/Upgraded Self

This mixture consistently keeps me in ketosis and feeling sharp and energized and happy. :-) 

MeadowLily -

I agree, white potatoes are just troublemakers! We are better off without them!

I'm so interested in your fish-eating experiment. How long have you been having fish every day? I read a while back about the theory that we humans developed larger brains because of eating a lot of seafood, and I have been taking fish oil caps since. I've always wondered how much better we might all be faring if we ate more seafood... (along with fewer carbs, of course). I have trouble getting seafood into my diet very often cuz my hubby doesn't want to eat it much, and it's too smelly to have at my office (health clinic) for lunch! What are some of your favorite seafood recipes/meals?

I tried making BPC with my shaker cup, and I might have been a little too vigorous -- it ended up being half foam! :)

Eating is going well so far: net carbs have been under 30.

I can see how it would be easy to go high protein though. Last night I skipped having an additional serving of chicken thigh for that reason.

Drinking a decent amount of water. No issues with mood, cravings, headaches, yadda yadda yadda.

Exercise has just been some light calisthenics.

There are individuals who thrive on potatoes so it depends on your blood sugar chemistry.  There are nations that would starve without them.

Fish.    The Bear, akin to The Dude Abides...can hunt, fish and make anything taste good.   We live off the grid but not in a Nut Hut.  :D  :lol: 

We have wild game, Browns, Rainbow Trout and Salmon from AK.   We don't have access to squid, octopi and other exotic seafoods.  Cod and Halibut are becoming scarce.  I do eat wild Herring.  The trout are so gorgeous this time of year, they look/taste like salmon.

You don't have to 'doctor' things up too much when it tastes so heavenly.  We kick it old school without alot of fuss.   Lemons, limes, herbs, spices, balsamic reductions - citrus or other variations.  Bear is gifted in the kitchen.  Everything he touches turns into a feast.

He changes it up constantly, reworks all of his recipes that were handed down to him for generations.   We have ancient ways and modern tools.     My ancestors were experts with fish and wild game.    The Bear has a smoker that looks like a Fort Knox green safe.

He has perfected his smoked recipes without any sugars for the family.  We also have grassfed beef and free range pork, chickens.  :D   I can't write the recipes because they're all in Bear's brain.

Fish is rocket fuel for the brain and bod.   There's not a factory bar on the planet that can come close to replicating what nature can do for you.     What fish does for the skin is off the hook, literally.  :lol: 

ketosis is a fairly new concept for myself, however the preferred diet method of my husband. I do not agree with his weekly cheat meals, with a lot of fast food and nasty processed stuff. But needing to clean my diet from evil sugar, in the form of fruits, I am doing this whole30 Keto type. So far so good. I thought I would not feel any tiredness or sluggish, but here I am mid afternoon and sleepy. I got up at 3:30 am this morning too, so that maybe have something to do hehehe.

Thanks for the invitation here Kirkor! I will stick around!

I do not agree with his weekly cheat meals, with a lot of fast food and nasty processed stuff.

Ya, I'm not a big fan of the CKD. After a couple months when I'm fully adapted I'll probably try TKD and do the dextrose thing for workouts.

I figure if there's a $%@&'ing vegetarian W30, we should be able to represent ketosis.  :lol:

Hi Kirkor

So I'm doing the whole 30 right now, first time, on the start Jan 1 forum, and am very interested in learning more about keto. After the typical whole 30 i'd like to move into ketwhole30. I've been diagnosed with small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (sibo) and my doc wants me to start eating homemade yogurt fermented for 24 hours as well as follow the selective carbo diet (scd). So I'm integrating whole 30 with scd and cutting out all dairy and some whole 30 foods until february. 

I'm interested if you know about sibo and whether doing a ketowhole30 would help. 

Hello, I'm focusing on a Keto Whole30 as well this time around!  Happy to see this thread.  

Today: M1: Bulletproof coffee with MCT and 2 HB eggs for breakfast, M2: Spaghetti with ground beef and spaghetti squash.  M3 will be chicken drumsticks with caramelized onions (Doro Wat from Nom Nom Paleo) and salad.  

Cranky & bi*chy today (kill all things?) & still have a headache....haven't purchased the keto-stix yet but plan on it tomorrow. I have averaged about 23 grams net carbs per day. Not hungry but as I said cranky & feeling some fatigue. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!

Hi Kirkor

So I'm doing the whole 30 right now, first time, on the start Jan 1 forum, and am very interested in learning more about keto. After the typical whole 30 i'd like to move into ketwhole30. I've been diagnosed with small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (sibo) and my doc wants me to start eating homemade yogurt fermented for 24 hours as well as follow the selective carbo diet (scd). So I'm integrating whole 30 with scd and cutting out all dairy and some whole 30 foods until february. 

I'm interested if you know about sibo and whether doing a ketowhole30 would help.

Hey, Bronnyd

I have sibo too and follow the scd diet along with whole 30. I can't tolerate dairy so I don't do the yogurt. I know that with sibo you can only eat monosaccharides so that means sweet potatoes are out. You can eat fruit and nuts on the scd diet, but only if your stomach can handle them. My stomach is really irritated by fruit and nuts so I'm kind of doing keto by default. According to my doc most people with sibo also have candida and the natural sugars in fruit feed the candida. So maybe you should ask your doc about it. I hope that helps. :)

sibo is new to me, sorry I can't be of more help.  The reddit keto people are pretty knowledgeable: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

Does your doc know you won't be doing the yogurt until Feb?

Thank you for the link, Kirkor! The yoghurt isn't a must do - it's something I will do in Feb. but my doc did say to be careful at first with it anyhow. She put me on a special probiotic gelcap so I'm set - and feel sooo much better already (aside from the die-off of holiday treat madness). Amazing how one day can make a huge dif! Today was so much more energetic than yesterday. 

Hey, Bronnyd

I have sibo too and follow the scd diet along with whole 30. I can't tolerate dairy so I don't do the yogurt. I know that with sibo you can only eat monosaccharides so that means sweet potatoes are out. You can eat fruit and nuts on the scd diet, but only if your stomach can handle them. My stomach is really irritated by fruit and nuts so I'm kind of doing keto by default. According to my doc most people with sibo also have candida and the natural sugars in fruit feed the candida. So maybe you should ask your doc about it. I hope that helps. :)

Hi Augie Thank you for the insight on candida. I'm thinking I should cut out the fruit and go keto. Hard decision.

I think I'm going to gradually do it. Eliminate slow rather than cold turkey - and then see how I feel for a couple weeks without fruit. Then when I reintroduce fruit, I'll know more clearly whether or not it's affecting mre.

My doc put me on antibiotics (finished now) and nystatin. She also said I could start herbal remedies such as oregano and cinnamon, which I'm doing. All of the herbal remedies and nystatin also treat candida and I did wonder if there was a correlation - would make sense. Funny she did not mention candida though so I will ask her about it next time. 

Hi Augie Thank you for the insight on candida. I'm thinking I should cut out the fruit and go keto. Hard decision.

I think I'm going to gradually do it. Eliminate slow rather than cold turkey - and then see how I feel for a couple weeks without fruit. Then when I reintroduce fruit, I'll know more clearly whether or not it's affecting mre.

My doc put me on antibiotics (finished now) and nystatin. She also said I could start herbal remedies such as oregano and cinnamon, which I'm doing. All of the herbal remedies and nystatin also treat candida and I did wonder if there was a correlation - would make sense. Funny she did not mention candida though so I will ask her about it next time. 

For the probiotics it would help some fermented foods like sauerkraut, or even compliant pickles, the fruits are a no-no to fight tummy bacteria and candida.

best to you! We are on the same boat! 

My meter is this one, but I'm in Australia, I believe ours are a little different than some countries: http://myfreestyle.com.au/products/freestyle-optium-blood-glucose-monitoring-system/

Sibo folks - I'm guessing all the cutouts are to encourage die-offs. Is there a repopulation phase too?

Hi, it's to encourage die off but also, according to the scd diet, people with damaged stomachs can't digest foods that aren't monosachirides and the undigested food hangs out in the stomach and ferments which causes sibo. However, fruits and nuts are monosachirides but they can be difficult for damaged stomachs to digest and can also cause fermentation in the stomach and, like you said, eliminating them encourages die off.

By repopulation do you mean eating ferments? The scd recommends eating fermented yogurt and veggies, unfortunately I can't tolerate either for right now so I take enzymes and a soil based probiotic.

Hi Augie and Praxis

Augie, Yes I'm reading Breaking the Viscous Cycle also! I've got bananas and apples in house still so after I eat those, I'm going to cut out most fruits - scd says bananas are ok if very ripe. And it's very hard for me to rid apples. But for the process of elimination and reintro, I am going to anyway.

Frozen blueberries will be the hardest. They are so good! And so many antioxidants. But I will also reintroduce those after Feb.

My plan is to combine the scd and the ketwhole30 for month of feb. Now, the ketwhole30 allows for yoghurt, right?

Praxis, yes the scd diet and antibiotics/herbs are to rid the bacteria overgrowth in the small intestine. My doc put me on a continuous specific probiotic as well for repopulation of any die off in large intestine as well. After this month, I'm going to try the homemade fermented yoghurt. It has to be fermented for 24 hours to rid all the lactose.

Archived