KETwhOle30

kirkor

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning and happy Monday you Keto-Whole30 family.

Survived the weekend! wohoooo. Day 8 here.  We made a compliant chili yesterday and it was DELICIOUS! I started a broth bone marrow last night in the slow cooker, and this morning smelled so good that I took some of the bone meet I put on it with veggies and stock and brought it for lunch.  I also have a pork roast in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner w/Italian herbs and garlic, yummy.

Day 8 

M1 BPC 3 scrambled eggs w/herbs

M2 Soup with bone meat and veggies, 1 pear

M3 Pork pulled with green beans

Have an outstanding week! :-)

Just wanted to do a brief post here - I've decided to take fresh and dried fruit out, as well as most nuts, as my gut is not agreeing with them right now, although I'd rather it be the opposite. And since I ran out of fruit yesterday, that makes it easy. 

That means I'm eating mostly keto. And since I'm starting officially keto in Feb after I finish Whole 30, thought I'd post that it looks like I'm automatically also in ketwhole30.

And I just have two words of gratitude to share - bone broth. OMG bone broth. I had some for breakfast with chopped kale and a big glass of lemon water and I feel pretty darn good! 

OHHHmg silky ginger soup with bone broth - I want. Thank you!

Not sure what to do about starch - my sibo gut doesn't do well with much starch aside from acorn squash, which I eat about twice a week, otherwise it seems to act up.

Carrots are starchy yes? No they're fibery. I looove parsnips and taro but don't eat them much. Wonder how my gut would react now to them? Only way to know it try it out!

Not sure what to do about starch - my sibo gut doesn't do well with much starch aside from acorn squash, which I eat about twice a week, otherwise it seems to act up.

Carrots are starchy yes? No they're fibery. I looove parsnips and taro but don't eat them much. Wonder how my gut would react now to them? Only way to know it try it out!

You do not have to eat starch for keto, at all.  In fact, I have never heard that recommended before.  It is certainly not a requirement.

That's the one Bronny! Carrots will work, and zucchini. Anything that's not a usual "low carb" veggie will probably work for you as a starch, just keep trying them until you find one (or two) that work for you. 

If you have leaky gut, you don't want to eat too little starch and if you were eating fruit and cutting it out (as Bronny is), you don't want to be drastically cutting your carb levels, when you're already low carb. You'll tend to get headaches, light-headed, nausea, etc.

my sibo gut

Saw this on /r/Paleo, thought of you:

"Yes, last year I had SIBO after a severe vital GI infection and all the foods you listed "rescued" my gut. It wouldn't clear so I went hardcore on fermented foods and felt better in weeks. It could have been coincidental and perhaps I would have recovered anyway but it seemed to help. Similar I had an episode of IBS related to nuts recently after 10 years without symptoms since switching to keto/paleo and sauerkraut, kimchi and bone broth have eased the bloating"

Kirkor and Keto group - have you heard the news today about the Dolphin's player who fell out of his boat and swam for 16 hours straight to the shoreline?  Talk about determination and the will to live, live, live.

Eventually, he was 27 miles from the point at which he had gone into the water, at around 4:30 a.m. Friday.

“After some time I just said, ‘Look, I’m not dying tonight, I’m going to make it to shore ,’” he said. “It certainly tests your mind when you’re in the water that long.”

Konrad, 38, grew up in New England and was experienced on the water. He knew he had just a few hours before hypothermia set in. He began to swim, thinking of his wife and 8- and 10-year-old daughters.

“In the next 16 hours,  I really had two opportunities for rescue,’’ he said. “At one point, as I swam into the night , there was a fishing boat, a recreational fishing boat, about 50 yards away. I tried to flag down the boat. It didn’t work out. A little bit later on, I saw the Coast Guard [helicopter]. They were out, searching the water. At that point in time, [they] came right over the top of me. They had lights on me, kept going. That was a difficult time.

“I realized at that point I was on my own.”

We're all on our own.     The strong desire to eat our way to our best  possible life is also a marker of that will to live, live, live.

Brewer, I liked your post out there about giving up sugar.   It's a choice.

No one can do this for us.   If you don't have any family support,   think of Kirkor and others who rock it every day on their own.   I didn't lean on anyone at home or abroad.  I kept my mouth shut.   My own folks didn't notice one cotton pickin' thing for 6 months.   That's how gradual the process has been for me, very slow, turtle-like.    It's not a race and I'm not in a competition.   Everyone is inspiring and creative with their personal health journey and the Whole 30, Whole 90.... 

605_BabyGreenSeaTurtle_original1.jpg

Saw this on /r/Paleo, thought of you:

"Yes, last year I had SIBO after a severe vital GI infection and all the foods you listed "rescued" my gut. It wouldn't clear so I went hardcore on fermented foods and felt better in weeks. It could have been coincidental and perhaps I would have recovered anyway but it seemed to help. Similar I had an episode of IBS related to nuts recently after 10 years without symptoms since switching to keto/paleo and sauerkraut, kimchi and bone broth have eased the bloating"

Thank you kirkor! I am always drawn to sauerkraut and kimchi when I'm around it but never make it myself. I did make kimchi last summer first time and it was so easy. Don't know why I didn't continue - habit i guess. That said, I'm going to make some this week. It sounds just like what I need. Thank you thank you!

Nope, big ol pile of pumpkin or sweet potato. If it's template, I stay in ketosis :)

praxis, how long have you been at this, though?  I remember seeing a keto thread from you awhile back.

I think it's important for beginners to understand that if the goal is to truly get into a deep, measurable state of nutritional ketosis -- it is VERY likely that you are not going to achieve that having potatoes every day.

We all have different levels of carbohydrate tolerance.  Jimmy goes into quite a bit of detail on this in his book, and that is why measuring blood glucose and a reliable method of testing for ketones (not urine strips) is so highly recommended.  Over and over and over in his book.

If it was as easy for everyone as just following the template, then everyone on a Whole 30 should be in ketosis.  But that's not the case.  

Renee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• photo-8.png?_r=1406750837
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1967 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Casey, the success of long term ketosis really depends on your activity level. If you're doing something like a Tough Mudder, it's too much activity and training to depend on just your body to replenish its glycogen stores on its own. You need the carbs.

Additionally, the Whole30 program supports a healthy metabolism, which means being able to access different macronutrients for food. A healthy person should be able to switch in and out of carb metabolism and fat metabolism whenever it's necessary.

Folks that are eating a standard american diet, or a diet of carbs, carbs and more carbs, are going to be REALLY bad at metabolizing fat, but that's because their bodies are used to tossing the plentiful kindling on the fire all the time, as opposed to being able to tap into the long burning logs that are fat molecules.

Anyway, you should have this capability, and if you're running long enough to diminish your glycogen stores, your body will tap into the fat when they need it.

Archived