KETwhOle30

kirkor

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all - Interesting topic! I'm all for keto for the time being as it is helping my gut heal and get back on track to healthy Whole30 eating in the long run. I'm officially starting keto in 5 days! YAY! Been on Whole30 Jan 1 - 30 forum and going strong. Couple of almost flubs but have stayed on track.

Looking forward to hanging out with you all here for month of Feb.

So do people report their meals here? I've found that it really helps and haven't seen it much. I think I'd like to continue that if that's cool.

MeadowLily why oh why do you delete your posts??

Welp.  After re-reading them, some of them were just plain silly and they weren't copasinki with the spirit of your Keto thread.   Sometimes I figure things out by writing them down and then realize I'm over-thinking.   When I'm over-thinking I've slipped into the doubting zone.  So I delete the over-thinking and go back to the cool breeze of simplicity.    But that doesn't take away my curiousity....then I lay back in the weeds and only pounce when I feel I have something to add to your data points.   I don't want to be left behind and have to eat your dust  while you're sprinting towards your six-pack abs.   

After all, I am your target audience and you know I would run after your car and lick your tires if I thought you'd found the answers to the fountain of youth.

So do people report their meals here? I've found that it really helps and haven't seen it much. I think I'd like to continue that if that's cool.

I'm not sure what kirkor's plans are for February.....  are you continuing with keto, sir?

I have my own keto thread where I keep track of my meals, etc.  But I was not part of this original group...  I just joined in for the awesome discussion here.  :)

I get what you're saying, but I think it all adds to the discussion. And when kirkor responds to you and then no one can see what he is talking about, well then, that just makes him look silly. :D

I'm used to looking silly, it's all good.

Harvey-Reginald-Specter-Clothing-Styles-

I'm not sure what kirkor's plans are for February.....  are you continuing with keto, sir?

Ya, I want to give it at least another month. I'm going to keep keto while doing a soft reintro of soy, sugar, sulfites, and dairy ---- the "3 S's" so I don't have to watch labels as closely, and the dairy just for some keto variety.

HOWEVER, I'm still on the way to being convinced that ketostyle whole30 is a lifelong plan. W30 for the body benefits, keto for the brain benefits.

Even considering closing the door permanently on alcohol, which I hadn't really contemplated before this current iteration of W30. Not an alcoholic or anything, but just thinking about it from a health standpoint. Seems if you remove taste from the equation, then it just becomes about experiencing a state change. So I'm asking myself (a) why am I desiring a state change in the first place? and (b) can I get that state change in other ways? Allen Carr's book is supposed to be good.

That's good but don't leave me behind.   I don't want to go back to eating dirt sandwiches and potato chips.    Are you going to make a coconut nectar cheesecake with a nut crust - after your no dairy Keto W30?    You can use dried coconut milk powder to replace the 3 Tbspns of flour, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.    You can freeze portions so you don't eat it all at one time.   I haven't made one but I sure do eyeball those boxes of cream cheese at the grocery store.   Sometimes I just read the labels, picking up the boxes and go quietly back to my snackless lil corner of the world.  

http://www.enerhealthbotanicals.com/coconut-milk-powder.html

41h0Me7aXqL._SY355_.jpg$5.00 less than amazon by ordering direct from the co.

I haven't made one but I sure do eyeball those boxes of cream cheese at the grocery store.   Sometimes I just read the labels, picking up the boxes and go quietly back to my snackless lil corner of the world. 

Lily, I don't know what you look like, but yet I just pictured you doing this.   :lol:

You MUST let us know how it turns out if you ever decide to do it.

Even considering closing the door permanently on alcohol, which I hadn't really contemplated before this current iteration of W30. Not an alcoholic or anything, but just thinking about it from a health standpoint. Seems if you remove taste from the equation, then it just becomes about experiencing a state change. So I'm asking myself (a) why am I desiring a state change in the first place? and (b) can I get that state change in other ways? Allen Carr's book is supposed to be good.

Alcohol tastes like vinegar for me, or then is bitter if drink is sweet! Go figure how my taste buds were reset! However, I will use wine or cognac for cooking, it just adds so much flavor to meat and dishes in general. That's the only thing I actually miss when on a whole30, being able to use alcohol in my dishes and only dessert I would be willing to indulge, crêpes suzettes!

anyone else here struggling with blood sugar regulation issues? what have you found to work best for you (besides hflc, of course!)? supplements, types of exercise, adequate sleep, reducing stress, etc.

I'm trying to regulate and lower my blood sugar and I really see and feel a difference when I do strength training; i seem to be much more level on days that i do hevy weights and all the veggies I've been eating throughout this whole30 seem to help also....

tulip, I've measured my fasting blood glucose for my entire keto Whole 30, and I will continue to do so.  My average FBG for January is 89.

You can see what I've been eating/doing here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23800-brewer5-keto-whole-30/

And I am continuing my journey here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24999-brewer5-keto-2015/

Hi All

So I just finished Whole 30 on Jan 30 YAY and am in keto now. It's a natural result for me cuz I've had to remove fruit and most starches from my diet due to SIBO. Bummer cuz I really like cauliflower rice and can't eat that right now.

BUT I can have ripe banana and my question is this... I'm finally losing weight/inches on Whole30/keto and feeling extremely satiated and satisfied. That's a big wow for me. It's been a yoyo experience that resulted in me being about 35 pounds overweight and feeling awful and then unable to lose. I know yo-yoing is baaaaad but it's not as if I did it on purpose. I would begin to eat normally after restricting cals and exercising butt off and would immed. begin gaining again. Then, I couldn't lose and my gut hurt and IBS got worse. I knew there was an answer out there. Enter SIBO/Whole 30.

OH sorry -- my question is this - can a have a banana please?

I've read that if I eat some carbs and then work out soon after, I will stay in keto. This wouldn't be all the time - just once a week. I've read that it can be a "carb up" if I exercise, which I stopped about two weeks into Whole 30 due to energy issues. But now I feel back on track and want to experiment with carb ups.

Also, my keto plan is to do keto for Feb and then back to Paleo. I understand there's an induction phase, etc. - can someone suggest a good book/site for peeps who want to do keto for a month and then move to Paleo? THX in advance!

If you just want to do keto for a month than you don't need to do any sort of carb-up.

Stick with sub-20 net carbs the first two weeks to get solidly into ketosis, then probably up it between 30-50.

From what I've read on CKD and TKD (different protocols for ingesting carbs during long-term keto plans) you don't start them until at least 6 weeks on keto for best results.

And a banana wouldn't be the best choice even then because for TKD the rec is for dextrose not fructose.

Thank you Kirkor! I've decided upon further research that I will step out of keto for the time being and focus on reintro whole 30 for SIBO reasons. Am supposed to eat homemade yogurt for starters - and up to two cups a day now after killing off bacteria overgrowth. Plus, I love my squash and bananas once a week. :) 

I go back & forth on the keto idea, blood sugar regulation being the primary motivator.  My gut issues complicate matters (dysbiosis, liver disease, gall bladder disease, diverticular disease) since my gut behaves better with certain carbs, like plantains & sweet potatoes.  But the fact that I have started eating bananas & dried fruit again may be indicators that the sugar demon is waking up, or maybe I have SIBO messing with my mind -- check out this NPR article:

Gut Bacteria May Guide the Workings of Our Minds

@Kirkor:  What are CKD & TKD?  Can you point me to resources?  Oh, and check out petra8paleo for great AIP-keto recipes -- fabulous blog.

@Kirkor:  What are CKD & TKD?  Can you point me to resources?

CKD = Cycling Ketogenic Diet

TKD = Targeted Ketogenic Diet

CKD is a larger "carb up" day following an intense glycogen-depleting workout, that kinda "jogs" your body in certain ways that may be beneficial for athletic performance and long-term keto diet adherence.

TKD involves the consumption of smaller measured amounts of simple carbs pre- and post-workout, for the purpose of athletic performance and muscle building.

The /r/ketogains FAQ breaks it all down: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_skd.2C_tkd.2C_ckd_-_what.2C_when_and_how.3F

No, I think dairy triggers my fibromyalgia so I was going to do dairy-free.  Why do you guys add the dairy back in?  For the fat?

I guess what I was really asking was if you were going to do it within the context of W30 in terms of compliant ingredients, no SWYPO, etc.? (since you wrote both dairy-free *and* Whole30 in your post, which is redundant ;))

No, I think dairy triggers my fibromyalgia so I was going to do dairy-free.  Why do you guys add the dairy back in?  For the fat?

I don't do well with dairy and I have no intention of adding it back in on a daily basis.  

It can be convenient (for me: read: TOO convenient) and add more variety -- but there are many, many other healthy sources of fat without the dairy.

Archived