KETwhOle30

kirkor

Posted by TravelPhotoWriter on 16 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

WTG on deciding to never go back to Splenda!!

As a Type 1 diabetic (31 years) who is more healthy by all tests than most every "normal" person I know, I am a living test-case of any argument about impact on blood sugar, as I completely regulate my blood sugar manually So I'm just giving input into your pondering from the point of view of rise/fall of blood sugar... White sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup & honey, raw or not, all create a quick spike in glucose, nothing "slow" or "low" carb about any of them.  Agave actually is much less of a spike than the others listed; I absolutely need less insulin to process agave than the others I listed.

Stevia (the real version, not the "mixed with other crap so we can patent it" versions) is NOT SUGAR. It has ZERO impact on glucose levels; I'm a test case for many years now. It has been used in Europe & Asia for many decades as a no-sugar sweetener before the USA finally broke down and let it be called a sweetener & not merely sold in the health food "supplement" isle, to the dismay of the fake sweetener companies who can't patent a LEAF (by itself).

It seems to me too that you got a bit "spanked," but I'm sure it's meant well. EVERYONE ANYWHERE is merely expressing an opinion based on what is working for them at this time in their life and what keeps them between the rails they set for themselves; just think - all vegans feel very, very sad for all "mislead" Paleos! (Kinda gets to be like religions clashing, eh?  ;) ) But none of us are YOU. My understanding & DEEPEST POINT OF RESPECT for the actual founders of W30 is that ultimately they suggest, once "clean", be your own experiment to find out what works for YOU & what doesn't.  

I personally like black coffee, but I have used stevia for many years in other things as an alternative to ALL other sweeteners. I don't have an issue with it being a "sweet gateway drug" to suddenly stuffing my face with M&Ms or slamming sodas... because I don't do those things anyway. I killed my sugar & yeast/carb cravings years ago. If it leads you to donuts, might want to skip it. 

Because my primary interest is in keeping glucose levels nice and steady, but also in enjoying the sweetness of life  :D , I feel GREAT about adding a bit to my herbal mint iced tea I make for a guest dinner, or to the squash soup I make that calls for juice - no thanks, I'll use a pinch of or drop of stevia instead.

ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY!! I'm loving mine!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! THANKS, yes, it was just a couple of nights, I dropped my Lantus by 1 unit & all was well. Until I dropped more body fat & had to drop 1 more unit - good problem to have!! 

The combo they advised for you makes sense if the long term insulin dose is too much & that is what caused the low. If that is the case, it will simply pull too low again a few hrs later once the spike of OJ is gone until the over-dose runs its course. Thus the call for simple & complex carbs + protein /fat. The only way someone can "rebound" to a low from the OJ spike is if they still produce their own insulin (but that is 99% of all diabetics). For lots of my hypoglycemic friends who aren't on external insulin, I tell them the 2-step plan (next sentence), or else they will feel like crap all over again in 2 hours! What would be most comfortable for anyone in hypo would be 4 oz (ish) juice, let that "settle in" maybe 10 mins to quickly bring the glucose back near 80 (because lows are a HORRIBLE feeling), THEN the rest of the snack to insure against later drops (again, until the over-dose wears off & injected levels are adjusted accordingly). So short answer is that I doubt nurse protocol has changed. Happy to say I'm not sure, as I haven't needed to go back to the hospital for it since I was diagnosed 31 years ago.

For me, as a T1, I'm on such a fine line of adjustment that I don't usually crash until late into my sleep cycle (almost morning), so the OJ is fine. Brings it up & it is fine until a.m. 

A long answer to a short Q. - I'm probably giddy from conversing with someone (you) who actually had a clue what I'm talking about when referring to my very successful self-care. YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING!!! :-D I know more about it than most docs that cross my path, much less nutrition people (understandably). 

I'm Type 1 (fully insulin-dependent) Diabetes for 31 years (since age 14), NO long-term symptoms present. (Although glucose levels have NOT been in tight control at all times, I am sure my stellar results are because I addressed the emotional patterning behind physical illness within a few years of diagnosis - see info by Louise Hay). I apparently arrested development too late to "grow back" the insulin factory that was destroyed, but no "expected" progression as western medical docs promise.   :)  Having T1 has been a "blessing in disguise," because otherwise I would have been eating "healthy" Standard American Diet ("we don't eat fast food or white bread!") like my parents did, with the same poor results, not understanding why. But thanks to the T1 Diabetes, unlike everyone else, I have been reading ALL labels since I was 14 and SEEING what happens to my blood sugar levels after eating items. Because my body doesn't kick in insulin to cover anything I eat (I manually put it in myself), I have decades of experience knowing how much or how little insulin is required to bring levels in my blood stream back to normal range, I have seen what acute stress does (spikes insulin for no "food" reason!), what moderate exercise does (brings b.s. down), etc. 

I never knew my motherinlaw.  She died of diabetes complications.   She grew up on a dairy.  She drank heavy cream all of her life.

She refused to quit.    Doctors told her if she didn't stop....well, it happened.   A very hard worker and she was never heavy.   She grew a large garden, canned and worked the dairy.   

It doesn't work for me either.   I'm not going to test those waters again.   This experience is a big learning curve.

Lily, I "get" what is being said about dairy...  What I'm saying is:  There is a reason in keto-land, low-carb land, whatever you want to call it -- that folks use heavy cream specifically.  I am not talking milk, I am not talking half n half, or cheese, or even butter -- but heavy cream.  

I only ever used about 2T at a time, usually a couple of times per day.  I simply cannot imagine drinking gallons of the stuff, or enough of it to cause 76 pounds of weight gain.  I am not arguing with your story -- at all -- I am just saying, either there were other factors at play in your situation (for example, all of the coffee that was being consumed along with that heavy cream, as we have discussed), and/or you were consistently drinking amounts of it that I just can't imagine, and it was all being stored AS FAT due to the other carbs that were in your diet at the time.  Fruit, even certain vegetables, can create enough of an insulin response to signal fat storage.

I am in no way encouraging you to go back to heavy cream land, either.   ;)  I find it has addictive properties for me, it is very calming, sedating, and I can go too long without eating real food when I am "under the influence" of heavy cream.  That is one thing that I thought I'd have on our trip, and I avoided it by eating chunks of grass-fed butter with my coffee in the mornings instead.  I don't think I want to go back there.  I'm not saying I won't, ever...  But I feel like it would be a big step backwards for me if I did.

Agreed, Brewer: for 'most' ketopians, 'most' of the time, HWC is AOK. There's barely any lactose and barely any protein -- it's almost all fat and, after clarified butter, is probably the most harmless dairy you can get.

My Blood Sugar is High

You can  read her full story in a post I did about her.  Since that post published she has had even better and better results. Totally weaning off drugs and maintaining normal blood sugar… she was definitely “thriving and not just surviving”.

… She had maintained normal blood sugar … until several weeks ago.

Here is what she sent me.

I replied, “only one thing left to do” … which meant reducing the heavy cream.

Ever since I tried to introduce Heavy Whipping Cream back into my diet …. I’ve been battling my Blood Sugar … I think it’s only been below 100 a couple of times … blank.gifUsually around 110 when I wake up …. close to the same at bedtime …. (fasting had reached as high as 114 mg/dl).

She stated that she had already removed the Heavy Whipping Cream and had recently removed wine as well.

1) Wine has never raised my blood sugar so I doubted it was a cause for her eleveated Blood Sugar.

2) Heavy Whipping Cream  some people - it raises their’s so it’s possible it caused her blood sugar to elevate… ‘could’.   She said that she had only used the  Heavy Cream for three days before her sugars elevated.  She stopped using it and it had been a couple of weeks since she last used any.

I was skeptical that the Heavy Cream was the cause… 

She and I actually talked on the phone at this point.  She said that she was to the point of going back on medications to lower her blood sugar.  She said that she was not doing anything different. Her stress level and sleep was about the same, she was eating the same etc.

Going on drugs should be the last option.  Do not get me wrong, Blood Sugar control is the KEY for proper diabetic treatment.  However, we should do what we can to avoid drugs due to the adverse side affects.

I was trying to rule out any other possible variables… … so I asked her about her exercising.

She was doing intense weight resistance training or intense cardio four to six times a week… without a break. In fact, she could not remember the last time she took any significant time off from intense exercise.

Personally… I have issues with over training as well but my blood sugar does not elevate significantly. I just get to the point my body says… ‘no more!’.

I suggested that she take an entire week off from intense exercise.  Walking is always allowed… but I suggested that she not do any intense anaerobic exercises including weight resistance or intense cardio.

She complained… (she’s an exercise junkie)  so I told her,

” or … you can take drugs and not know if it’s the exercise ….yeah… that makes sense. “

Evaluate everything that you do. You never know what may be causing a rise in blood sugars.

At this point I did not know if the intense exercise was the cause for her elevated blood sugars. Every diabetic should know that Intense Exercise causes a rise in blood sugar temporarily.  However, it has been my experience that over time, intense exercise causes a reduction in blood sugars longer term.

I talk about Primal Exercise and Diabetes in this post.  

She finally RELENTED and here are the results of experiment.

Overnight Fasting readings while ceasing the intense exercise. 103, 102, 97 and today 84.

Here are her post meal blood sugar readings were 97, 97, 94 and 89. (these were 2-4 hours post meal)

Summary:

Most people are not going to have the problem she had… of over training.

It’s something that I rarely talk about because the problem with the vast majority of people is not exercising ENOUGH!

The lesson learned here is…

… objectively and critically examine your life and lifestyle to see what can be changed or tweaked to improve overall health and fitness.

Intense Exercise is GOOD … but too much, too often may have adverse affects.

For diabetics, the critical measure is maintaining proper blood sugar levels.

All fats are not created equal

Today’s post is about a recent experience I had eating heavy cream, a lot of heavy cream…
We know dairy products can be a trap for some folks doing a modified carb diet, and even a larger trap for many of us on Zero Carb. Of course, I was aware about this but, still, I wanted to give it a try even if I had experienced some problems in the past with this pure delicacy.

This experiment began after I recently discovered a source of “organic double heavy cream” and that I decided to give it a try. The product is astonishing, very thick with a divine taste. I began eating it with a small spoon just as others would eat any pudding. It was extremely satisfying and a small quantity would cut any hunger for many hours. Great. Great until…

Until I began slowly allowing my daily quantity of cream to go up. I will immediately say that I did not eat more because I NEEDED to eat more, BUT simply because my weight was NOT going up. I was saying to myself: “What a great surprise! Now I can have a treat with this highly satisfying food item without worrying about the impact on my body”.

These were wonderful days. Imagine: I could dig into these double cream containers with no guilt or worries and, knowing I was indulging into an organic product, this only reinforced my impression of wellness. Until…

Until about after 10 days when I began to felt more thirsty and had to urinate more. I knew these could be symptoms of high blood sugar but I could not believe this could be true. I very rarely control my blood sugar as being on Zero carb diet since more then 3 years, it is always, but always, normal.

But the thirst not going away, I had to proceed. What a shock. My blood sugar was high; not at excessive levels but high enough to be into the “diabetic zone”. I controlled in the morning, I controlled before eating, I controlled 2 hours after meals, and my blood sugar was always high.

My first reaction was to stop immediately indulging in heavy cream. But, still, 24 hours later, my blood would refuse to go lower.

So I sat down and begin to review my eating menu of the last 10 days. What I discovered was astonishing. Because I was eating a lot of this cream, I had eaten less during my 2 daily Zero Carb meals. I thought that eating according to my appetite was “the way to go”.

Then I went on and calculated my daily calories and food macronutrients  composition. The calories were higher from my usual with all that cream but I didn’t care because the weight was stable. But then, I observed my protein intake was lower (but still acceptable), while my fat intake was extremely high, well much higher then my regular diet. Still, I could not understand why this would impact my blood sugar.

Until I calculated my carbohydrates intake…

Yes, I knew heavy cream does contain carbohydrates even if not that much. And double heavy cream contains even less. So where was the problem? Well, when you eat “a lot of heavy cream”, the numbers goes up quite fast. But certainly not enough to explain this increase in blood sugar…

Then the explanation became obvious: as my metabolism in running on fats, and I was eating a lot of fats without gaining weight, I was surely burning a lot of fats. But fats are the source of compounds from which our minimal needs for glucose are met by neoglucogenesis. So each time triglycerides are broken down, 10 % by weight goes to produce glucose. So if one ingest 100 g of fat per day, here comes 10 g of carbohydrates. But I was eating about 300 g of fat per day…, which means 30 g of glucose right there.

I added these 30 g to the carbohydrates coming from the cream and I estimated my daily carb intake was more then 50 g !!! And this did not consider the eventual proteins that could have been transformed into glucose but since I had no way to evaluate this, I did not consider it in my calculations…

So here I was on a Zero Carb diet eating more then 50 g of carbohydrate by day… and having my blood sugar going up. 

What a sad story, yes, very sad story…

But I did some readings because, still, I could not believe that all this fat could have such an impact on my blood sugar.

What I discovered is fat from dairy products have much more impact on our body metabolism then fat from meat origin. “Fats were not equal” and this is another good example. The explanation being fats from dairy comes along with a lot of hormones, especially estrogens and, surely, IGF (insulin growth factor), which has a terrible impact on blood sugar… These are anabolic compounds and this is the last thing our body needs to ingest. I know, milk was created for calves and not to feed human being… And separating the cream from the milk do concentrate the fats, and as the hormones also concentrate in the same fats, my double heavy cream was a time bomb…

So here I am now back on my “all fatty meat diet” with no organic double cream as a treat… very glad I could stop checking my blood sugar all the time… and also very glad I could stop drinking and peeing all the time… as this was the scary part of all this story!!!

I hope I have learned something…

Denis

I learned this lesson the hard way.   All fats are not created equal.  Yes, it was scary for me, too.  You'll have to experiment with your body chemistry.  It's out for me.

But fats are the source of compounds from which our minimal needs for glucose are met by neoglucogenesis. So each time triglycerides are broken down, 10 % by weight goes to produce glucose. So if one ingest 100 g of fat per day, here comes 10 g of carbohydrates. But I was eating about 300 g of fat per day…, which means 30 g of glucose right there.

I added these 30 g to the carbohydrates coming from the cream and I estimated my daily carb intake was more then 50 g !!! And this did not consider the eventual proteins that could have been transformed into glucose but since I had no way to evaluate this, I did not consider it in my calculations…

So here I was on a Zero Carb diet eating more then 50 g of carbohydrate by day… and having my blood sugar going up.

That's not how gluconeogenesis works, protein is converted before fat is. I suspect this Denis person was doing low-calorie along with inadequate protein in addition to attempting to go low carb.

Brewer, Heavy cream is MORE than just fat.... Otherwise it would not be banned during whole30...

True indeed, but the point is that HWC is not a keto-killing boogeyman. That Denis's numbers don't add up:

I added these 30 g to the carbohydrates coming from the cream and I estimated my daily carb intake was more then 50 g !!!

20g carbs from HWC would be THREE CUPS and 2,500!! calories! Ya, I'mma have to call b.s. on that one.

20g carbs from HWC would be THREE CUPS and 2,500!! calories! Ya, I'mma have to call b.s. on that one.

Denis (whoever Denis is...) is trying to say that eating 300g of fat per day automatically translates into 30g of "carbs" per day, because 10% of all the fat you eat goes to gluconeogenesis.  You and I both know that this is not how it works.

HWC alone does have 20+ grams of carbs (and 15g protein) -- if you are consuming three cups of it per day, as you said.  And as I have said, I just can't imagine doing this... but apparently there are people who do.  I can definitely see how that would be problematic.  

Brewer, Heavy cream is MORE than just fat.... Otherwise it would not be banned during whole30...

There are plenty of seed oils that are pure fat, that are also banned during Whole 30, due to the effect that they have on the body.

But I do understand that there is more to heavy cream than just fat.  I have written multiple times about my experiences with heavy cream.  I think it has a drug-like effect for some people, and there are plenty of other, pure fats that do not have that effect.  Again, I am not encouraging anyone to use heavy cream.  I am saying that, when consumed in what I would consider "normal" quantities, there is very, very, very little "milk sugar" involved.

And you are 100% better off without the heavy cream.  As am I.  There is no debate about that.  ;)

I think, as kirkor said, 1 pound per week is perfect.  Like, perfect.  I know people can lose it faster -- but we all know how that usually ends.  Badly.

You've done an amazing job at making this a lifestyle change.  Go ahead, pick up that cream cheese at the store and give it a little squeeze... but continue to put it down and walk away, sister.  You're on the right path, and you know it.

And you are 100% better off without the heavy cream.  As am I.  There is no debate about that.   ;)

I think, as kirkor said, 1 pound per week is perfect.  Like, perfect.  I know people can lose it faster -- but we all know how that usually ends.  Badly.

You've done an amazing job at making this a lifestyle change.  Go ahead, pick up that cream cheese at the store and give it a little squeeze... but continue to put it down and walk away, sister.  You're on the right path, and you know it.

Progress.   Not Perfection.    

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HackingDiabetes.aspx

There are certain cows that produce longer protein strands in their millk...that milk contributes to diabetes. It touches or steps on marketing. So that's all I'm going to say about that.  You'll have to check it out.

http://www.denisfaye.com/about-denis/

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2011/03/15/primal-exercise-diabetes/

Coffee With Meals

While caffeine intake certainly won't make you fat, Insulin Resistant or Diabetic, regardless of who you are, it may increase your glucose and Insulin responses to meals and therefore thwart the effects of your hard-core training. Coffee by itself has a pleasant bitter taste, but its aroma really comes out when you have something sweet and fatty with it, like frothed milk and a doughnut. It sure tastes good, but the effect is only short-lived -  eating that dessert with coffee will make you not just fat, but Insulin Resistant if you don't exercise. In sedentary individuals, especially those with a traditional Western diet high in sugar and saturated fats, elevated concentrations of circulating Epinephrine and free fatty acids in response to caffeine may negatively affect glucose tolerance and drive Insulin and blood sugar up after meals. In one study, subjects ingested a sugary beverage after a high-fat meal, their blood glucose levels were only 32% higher compared to subjects who had water in place of the high-fat meal. In the second part of the study, subjects were given 2 cups of caffeinated coffee in addition to the high-fat meal and sugary beverage – this time, blood glucose doubled and was 65% higher than in the subjects who had only water before the sugary drink. 

• Telomerase deficiency has been linked to diabetes and impaired insulin secretion in mice.

• Inflammation in our body can decrease our telomerase activity. Oxidative stress and inflammation that are commonly seen in heart disease, obesity, and type two diabetes are associated with shorter telomeres.

Anything that causes an increased stress in our bodies, by activating the cortisol or adrenalin systems like poor sleep duration, can be associated with shorter telomere length. In addition anything that causes chronic inflammation can also adversely affect telomerase activity like obesity.

Obesity has been associated with low-grade inflammation in white adipose tissue resulting from the chronic activation of the immune system this leads to insulin resistance impaired Glucose tolerance and type two diabetes.

Here are the Four Strategies to Boost Telomerase Activity

• Eat a low inflammatory diet, which is low in bad fats, sodium and refined sugars. This diet should consist of colorful vegetables and some fruits and healthy fats like almonds and walnuts. In other words, follow FRESH Diet.
  • Exercise for at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity per day. Studies have shown that moderate aerobic activity improves telomerase activity and your antioxidant defenses by helping to maintain telomere length.
  • Practice different types of stress management, for example: yoga, biofeedback with breathing exercises or any other ways to deal with stress in a healthy way. People who practice stress management have shown increased telomerase activity.
  • Take  Omega -3 fish oils, and Vitamin D3. 
  • In conclusion, a poor diet and sedentary lifestyle, which are known to promote inflammation and oxidative stress, will adversely affect our telomerase functionality. Fortunately things that lower inflammation and oxidative stress like low inflammatory diets, centered around low glycemic index foods whole plants, key supplements, regular moderate exercise and stress management can help restore your to telomerase activity back to when your body was younger lowering your disease potential and helping you feel younger and more vibrant.

IS SHORTENING OF TELOMERES THE MISSING LINK - TYPE 2 DIABETES EPIDEMIC

SHORTENING OF TELOMERES THE MISSING LINK BETWEEN AGING AND THE TYPES SHORTENING OF TELOMERES THE MISSING LINK BETWEEN AGING AND THE TYPE 2 DIABETES EPIDEMIC

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/32010/title/Telomeres-in-Disease/

There is still much to be learned about how telomerase gene mutations cause disease, why they only affect certain organs, and how telomeres can be targeted for therapies. Both the genetic regulation of telomerase expression and the effect of an organism’s environment on telomere attrition are poorly understood. Whether telomere shortening mediates human aging—and conversely, whether telomere elongation may reverse aging or prevent age-related diseases—are still controversial issues.

(What foods contribute to telomerase...)

All proteins are long chains of amino acids. Beta casein is a chain 229 amino acids in length. Cows who produce this protein in their milk with a proline at number 67 are called A2 cows, and are the older breeds of cows (e.g. Jerseys, Asian and African cows). But some 5,000 years ago, a mutation occurred in this proline amino acid, converting it to histidine. Cows that have this mutated beta casein are called A1 cows, and include breeds like Holstein.

Proline has a strong bond to a small protein called BCM 7, which helps keep it from getting into the milk, so that essentially no BCM 7 is found in the urine, blood or GI tract of old-fashioned A2 cows. On the other hand, histidine, the mutated protein, only weakly holds on to BCM 7, so it is liberated in the GI tract of animals and humans who drink A1 cow milk.

BCM 7 has been shown to cause neurological impairment in animals and people exposed to it, especially autistic and schizophrenic changes. BCM 7 interferes with the immune response, and injecting BCM 7 in animal models has been shown to provoke type 1 diabetes. Dr. Woodford’s book presents research showing a direct correlation between a population’s exposure to A1 cow’s milk and incidence of autoimmune disease, heart disease, type 1 diabetes, autism, and schizophrenia.

Simply switching breeds of cows could result in amazing health benefits.

Good argument for buying local!

But, ya, overall a MOOt point (pun very much intended) since this keto ship is flying W30 colors.

I'm about 95% convinced that W30+keto+IF is the "ultimate" diet plan ... 'course I won't know for sure 'til I actually see my 150th birthday, but I'm optimistic :D

Archived