KETwhOle30

kirkor

P.S. I use MCT/Brain Octane because it gives me sustained high energy and mental clarity, which makes me happy! :-) Yes, it is definitely a processed product, certainly not found in nature in that form! I think of it as medicine, in the same vein as concentrated plant extracts or vitamin supplements, which can be very helpful in more quickly getting the train back on the rails when more powerful help is needed (as it is for me and many of my patients!)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr. Emily,   I don't have Candida....barf.     Can't stand the image of that word.  Yuck, I need a bucket.   Anyhoo, I'm glad you've shared how it affects you much the same way.   It gives me an ulcer- feeling-belly-ache.    In 232 days, I haven't had a bite O honey or sugar.

No bread, rice, pasta, dairy and so forth.   I'm compliant without complaint.   What makes Brain Octane easier to handle than MCT?   I've been taking a good probiotic all along, too.

Good question! I don't know what makes C8 easier to digest. I'm guessing it's because it's got more short-chain fats than reg MCT...? Or maybe just because everything processed is easier to digest! (more pre-digested for us by the chemical/mechanical processing) Anyone? 

Dr. Emily,  I'd really like to know.    I've told Brewer that there are some things I just can't "hack"....toity probs and bodily functions.   I'm glad there are doctors and nurses who can handle them.    I think kids and pets help us grow another iron stomach but for me....not so much.   :P  :D 

Saw this on reddit:

and...if you mess up. Recognize what happened, and immediately recalibrate and chalk it up as a minor loss and fix it THAT DAY. Here are the mental gymnastics I would go through:

• Oh, well it's birthday cake and I've been good for a few months
  • Oh, well I had birthday cake today, so I'll just chalk up the day as a loss, PIZZA!
  • Oh, well yesterday was a loss, but today's Friday and someone brought in donuts. One won't hurt.
  • It's been a while since I drank beer. Oh well, the week's shot, I might as well indulge
  • Okay, Sunday. Time to get back on track. I'm kind of hungover, and I don't want this pizza to go to waste.
  • Alright - this isn't working. First of the month, I'm back on it.
Take it one meal at a time. That's it. That's all that keto asks for. One meal at a time. Don't let one mistake wash away all your progress. You'd preferably not cheat, but we know things happen. It's going to hinder your progress but it's also bad if you don't recognize:
  • That you're eating
  • That you need to finish out the day on keto - never chalk a day for a loss
  • That you need to be prepared next time something's just too tempting. Understand the environmental factors, and even bring a backup plan if it helps (I made myself a small almond flour cake on my mom's birthday).

Thrill or binge eaters have routines.    They'll often fast or use calorie restriction with excess cardio after a binge.   That only gets them deeper in the hole.

It is worth it to keep breaking this cycle so they can heal.  Binge eating doesn't solve the problems that are making them sad, anxious or depressed.   Never fast after thrill eating.   Immediately go back to your Whole 30 meal.   Don't give it another day or two to see if you can get back in the right frame of mind.   

It's much similar to training an animal.   When the animal has a bad attitude or habit....you have to get their attention right now!  You don't use force but you snap them out of their old thought pattern and redirect them.    It works with animals....people just take a little longer.     treadmill.gif

Yes, yes, yes.    There comes a point where the body pushes back .   After years of  binge eating/excess cardio and calorie restriction...they hit the wall and crap hits the fan.   Their mind and body begin to really fight with each other.  The internal struggles  refuse to remain silent.    They have the right to remain silent but they do not have the ability.

The mind is starving for order to made out of a life of chaos.    Choose to ignore that internal dialogue and they will remain stuck.    The only way to break the bonds and shackles of thrill eating is to eat 3 whole meals aday....every day.   Don't try and push it to the razor's edge with creating new snacks to take the place of the old ones.     Those recreations and SWYPO's prolong the healing process. 

Stop the routines and let the body and mind begin the healing process.     Binging and fasting ....only gets you deeper in the hole.

Redditor kept keto (not W30) while in Vegas for 5 days: http://imgur.com/a/fFCJ6

My KETwhOle30 is still going along swimmingly. I've had my immersion blender back this past week so there's been plenty of homemade mayo to go around.

I decided that with my steamed veggies I prefer coconut oil to ghee.

I'm a little bummed that the Ketostix aren't the useful gadget that I'd hoped they would be, but that's ok, live and learn. I've had plenty of other gadgets over the years that didn't pan out. :)

This may be obvious to everyone else, but I had a realization about W30's "Food without brakes" that applies to keto ... from most all reports, the most pernicious FWOB foods are fruit (esp. dried) and nuts (esp. butters) ............. and what do these food types have in common? They are the most carb dense foods allowed in the W30 catalog!!

Is it any wonder that these are the foods people over-indulge with?

Non-W30 keto'ers don't get as much exposure to fruit and nuts of course, and their FWOBs are usually dairy related: heavy cream & various cheeses.

This is why the combo of keto & W30 might be so super cool: you get the benefits of both approaches with no FWOB temptations!

YES!  THERE IS GOOD FAT AND YOU NEED IT DESPERATELY IN ORDER TO THRIVE

Coconut Milk Powder contains essential fatty acids and these are the GOOD FATS. These fatty acids create and provide energy for our bodies but also have many therapeutic applications as they are Anti-Viral, Anti-Microbial, and Anti-Fungal.

If you are worried about high levels of sugar, or are trying to cut out sweets, try the Coconut Milk Powder.  With only 1g Carb per serving this is a perfect alternative to curb your sweet cravings.  Coconut milk powder is a great substitute for coffee creamers, or powdered chemicals. Use it for your favorite ethnic cooking like Indian and Thai recipes! Coconut oil has been proven to be extremely beneficial and healthy.

The only comment I can make to the hair loss worry is:  I experienced increased hair loss in the PAST -- when I just wasn't taking great care of myself and probably knew nothing about what may have been causing it.

My experience with about 7 months now of (off and on) ultra-low-carb and/or ketogenic eating has been the opposite.  I have actually noticed much LESS hair falling out than I have previously.  I have long hair, and I am always surprised when I comb it after the shower and seriously get like 2 hairs in my comb.  For me, that is unheard of -- and I have taken note of it because it sort of surprises me every time.

Also, MeadowLily, I think you could sort of drive yourself nuts with everyone's opinions on the internet.  Lots of chatter out there (including me ;) ) -- but really, the only way to know how YOU feel and perform is to live the lifestyle for awhile and see.  I believe it is highly individual and there are many factors.  

As an example, I have decided to exclude sweet potatoes and potatoes because of how they make me feel.  NOT because someone out there told me to.  I've learned so much by listening... really listening.  I arrived at a point ready to try keto because for me, it just made sense.  

Is it for everyone?  No, probably not.  Did everyone's ancestors live in a ketogenic state, all the time?  Of course not.  ...BUT... did they have the ability to shift back and forth between using ketones for fuel and glucose?  Absolutely.  The low-blood-sugar episodes that people today just keep feeding with carbs, sugary coffee drinks, eating every 2 hours......  well, that is just not a good place to be.  It's sort of ridiculous if you really think about it.  You don't see animals out there in the wild having these problems.  

At some point, I think you've got to go through the rough patch to arrive on the other side -- where you are truly no longer dependent on those things.  And I think, as we've discussed, you're already there on the other side.  :)

Quite a cross-section of postings you've collected there, Lil'.

Much of the above-listed concerns I think are addressed by making good dietary choices the way you would on any dietary program. Caffeine, artificial sweeteners, dairy, and alcohol can be problematic for certain people no matter what their diet is.

The under-eating issues is not keto's fault but the person eating.

The claims that keto fails under extreme athletic demands is a straw man because 99% of people doing it are not extreme athletes. And for the sake of argument, a) even if they were and B) keto did not support those extreme endeavors, there's still the issue of c) long-term neurological health.

I'm not an expert on keto, I just read a lot about it, and it seems to me that keto popularity is shining a light on the distinction between health and fitness. I'm not sure who Kevin Geary is, but he sounds more concerned with short-term fitness than he is with long-term health.

I want to be able to perform well whether it's lifting weights in the gym or running and climbing during a Spartan race, I want to look good with my shirt off on the beach, AND I also want to live to be really really old and kick butt at crossword puzzles.

Archived