Bad breath. Please help,

Rachelsara

I'm 24 days in and for the past 2 weeks have noticed my breath being bad. I KNOW it is. It's not for lack of oral hygiene, Ive always taken excellent care in that dept. I'm embarrassed to be around people (if I can tell surely they can) and feel like I can't even kiss my hub. The mood swings I can handle, the cravings I can handle, all the hard work I can handle-having halitosis, that's another story. Tell me this goes away once my body adjusts!? What can I do to make it STOP? Desperate over here.

• Moderators

What does your typical day's food look like? Are you getting starchy vegetables most days? Sometimes, when people go very low carb and are in ketosis, it can cause bad breath.

Are you drinking enough water -- a dry mouth might cause bad breath. (The recommended amount is at least 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight -- so if you weigh 120 lbs, you need 60 oz of water.)

You haven't started any new medications lately (or possibly even some supplements)?

Those are the two things that occur to me off the top of my head. If you're not sure either of those apply, please list what kinds of things you're eating, how much water you're drinking, and anything else you think might have a bearing, and hopefully someone will be able to help you figure it out.

Shannon makes all excellent points.  

I had the same problem and yes going low carb didn't help.  Things that do help are yes drinking lots of water, chewing on fennel seeds, drinking mint tea, or chewing on mint leaves.

Other than that it will pass.  But yeah it's not a nice feeling knowing this.

Try Coriander and Cardamom.    Coriander is dried Cilantro.   

I use both in my toothpaste, about 3-4 shakes of each of them.   I brush my teeth and then rinse.

I also use the same amount in a small cup of water and drink.   Both spices are soothing to the belly, digestion and great for the teeth, mouth.   My naturopath told me this 6 months ago.   It works.   Low carb eating requires frequent mouth tune-ups.  coffee.gif

What does your typical day's food look like? Are you getting starchy vegetables most days? Sometimes, when people go very low carb and are in ketosis, it can cause bad breath.

Are you drinking enough water -- a dry mouth might cause bad breath. (The recommended amount is at least 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight -- so if you weigh 120 lbs, you need 60 oz of water.)

You haven't started any new medications lately (or possibly even some supplements)?

Those are the two things that occur to me off the top of my head. If you're not sure either of those apply, please list what kinds of things you're eating, how much water you're drinking, and anything else you think might have a bearing, and hopefully someone will be able to help you figure it out.

My typical food day looks like this: breakfast-2 eggs, large handful of sautéed spinach (coconut oil, s+p) spoonful of baked sweet potato and a side of whatever fruit I have. Usually 1/2 a banana & some raspberries/blueberries. Lunch is a kale salad with shredded roasted chicken, veggies, avocado, some pecans or cashews (only sometimes) and olive oil/lemon as dressing. For dinner I honestly make something different everyday. Chicken, salmon, or beef and large amounts of roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, peppers are my faves). No new meds/supplements started and I could probably stand to drink a bit more water. I don't know the exact amount I drink daily but will try to keep better track.

Thanks for your response, keep them coming :-)

Shannon makes all excellent points.  

I had the same problem and yes going low carb didn't help.  Things that do help are yes drinking lots of water, chewing on fennel seeds, drinking mint tea, or chewing on mint leaves.

Other than that it will pass.  But yeah it's not a nice feeling knowing this.

I will try all those, thanks so much. And especially liked the "it will pass" part! I'll be patient.

Try Coriander and Cardamom.    Coriander is dried Cilantro.   

I use both in my toothpaste, about 3-4 shakes of each of them.   I brush my teeth and then rinse.

I also use the same amount in a small cup of water and drink.   Both spices are soothing to the belly, digestion and great for the teeth, mouth.   My naturopath told me this 6 months ago.   It works.   Low carb eating requires frequent mouth tune-ups.  coffee.gif

I'll try that too, thank you!

• Administrators

Besides your spoonful of sweet potato and your piece of fruit, the rest of your meals are pretty low in carbohydrates.  Try a fist sized serving or two of the starchies every day (beets, rutabaga, winter squash, sweet potato, carrots, potatoes) and see how that helps you over the next little while. 

Even though we eat a tonne of veggies when on Whole30, it can inherently be very low in carbohydrates which, as Shannon said, causes ketosis and subsequently foul smelling breath and urine. 

Depending on what your previous diet looked like, your switch to Whole30 could be causing some hormone disruption as well which could cause any number of wacky body-type changes.

• Moderators

I would say that given how little starchy veg you're eating, you very likely could be in ketosis, which would case the bad breath. Allow yourself to eat more sweet potato, winter squashes, carrots, parsnips, beets, etc. and see what happens. And definitely increase the water intake--but do it between, rather than with, meals. A couple glasses first thing in the morning (think of how long you've gone without overnight), and a couple glasses between each meal should do the trick. I like to think of it as cleansing my system, and that keeps me motivated to do it. 

I also swear by using a tongue scraper first thing every morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!   I love these forum boards....I always seem to find the answers to my questions on this journey. 

Just finished my first Whole30 just before Christmas (talk about timing) and wondered about the narsty metallic taste in my mouth during the last weeks.  Hubby didn't seem to notice, but I was paranoid and obsessive about oral hygiene for the last bit!  LOL

I will be adding more starches (approved of course) on my next Whole 30, on the 1st.  Love the other suggestions and will be incorporating them as well. 

Love all the feedback and all the helpfulness on the boards, thanks all!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am on day 6 and my honey has informed me that my breath is awful!  Brushing my teeth doesn't seem to help.  I am excited to think it might be ketosis - bring on the fat burning!  Think I will stay close to home for awhile.  Love the new way of eating!  I quit smoking two days before starting this plan.  I find the daily emails to be encouragement to stay away from tobacco in addition to staying on the plan.  Very happy!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived