Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

I'm with you - starting Jan. 5th as well. This will be my second time doing Whole30. Last time was the Fall of 2013. I found it very doable even through Halloween and a fancy 4 course meal at an Italian restaurant to celebrate my son's baptism. Preparation and a little planning ahead is definitely key. Best of luck!!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new and planning to start when my son goes back to school from winter break Jan 5. I'm excited and nervous. Really unsure what to expect. I just bought the book "It starts with food" today. I've been researching all over pinterest, instagram, and just the internet in general. But I'm open to any and all kind of suggestions as to "You must have this..." type of things. I turned 40 this past August and feel like it's been a big struggle to lose weight. 

I am really looking forward to seeing the results especially when it comes to energy. Everyone I've spoken to that's done this has done nothing but raved.

Anyway, Happy New Year! Here's to us! :) 

Hi! Starting the Whole 30 on the 5th also. My fiancée is also starting with me. Looking forward to looking and feeling better. I always work out and eat well but in the past 6 months I have really slipped. We moved from PA to GA and just haven't had much of routine and have been eating a lot of things I have never eaten. (at least no fast food though, Lol!) Anyway looking forward to this!

January 5th is my shop/prep day so that I can jump both feet in on January 6th. I'm a single mom (5 y/o daughter 7 y/o son) and we've all developed a terrible diet. I have tried many diets/fads over the years but this one seems to make the most sense to me, especially considering I am a serious sugar junkie. I'm apprehensive because I have never stuck with anything long term (and this sounds the most challenging by far!)  but I'm hoping this Whole30 will set me up for a long-term love of Paleo for me and my children. I'm a third-shifter so that poses a series of it's own challenges. However, being on the graveyard shift requires that I take some drastic steps to take better care of myself so I can do more than just barely survive. Looking forward to this positive step in the right direction!

January 5th is my day too!!  I am currently suffering from a variety of disorders, ranging from mental illness to neurological and autoimmune.  I have been doing AIP and Paleo here and there, but I need to get something to jump start me into doing it religiously.  I generally make a Paleo meal for dinner (tonight was meatballs and spaghetti squash) but need to do it all the time.

The hardest part for me is going to be giving up Diet Coke!!  I just love it so much :)  

Everyone else says this is too restrictive, but based on all of the books I have read, this is the best for my host of ailments.  I am going to need some support and some help along the way so lets all help each other!!   I've also been doing it at least partially for a while now, so I don't think committing to it 100% will be too bad.  

Cheers!

Hi all! Planning to get started on January 5th as well. Dabbled with some clean eating for a few weeks earlier this fall and felt fantastic, but didn't stick with it. :( My hope is to really give this a solid effort for those 30 days! My biggest worry is staying organized and not getting bored. But there appear to be MANY awesome recipes and great supports out there. Good luck to us all! 

I'm in. Not sure if I'm going to start on the third or the fifth. If I can get my shopping/organizing done today, I'll start tomorrow. I've tried it before, but kind of half-assed. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have any health or digestive issues to speak of, but it does make it easier to blow off. So, part of my reason for doing it, is the discipline aspect. I'm also feeling a bit run down from a very stressful year-end close in my job. I have always been a pretty healthy eater, so this isn't a massive change, but I will miss bread, wine and cheese (not necessarily in that order). I'm looking forward to feeling vibrant, and maybe losing a few pounds!

My 11 year old daughter is joining me, though probably not quite so strictly. Sugar is the hardest for her. But her incentive is, an iPhone, if she gives up sugar for the month. Anybody else have kids joining in?

Trying to make a shopping list for this weekend. I have limited time, so I need to map out what I can buy, how long it will take me to cook, and how far into the week this weekend's cooking can carry me. Haul out the day-planner, because it all begins monday.

Wow!  This is quite a group and everyone sounds so motivated!  I'm looking forward to spending the next 30 days with all of y'all.  I bet we can manage to have quite a bit of fun along the way, even while we're detoxing all the crap we've been eating (well, speaking for myself, the last month has been completely off the rails with sugar and alcohol…).  I know from prior experience that I'll spend most of next week feeling like crap:  tired, grouchy, and with a major caffeine withdrawal headache (it's not required to quit coffee on a Whole30, but it is such a habit and crutch for me, it needs to go).  But I also know what comes after that:  energy!  awesome sleep!  elevated moods!  feeling invincible!  All super worth it.

My plan for myself this year is to run a half marathon.  I have had that goal for many years and have had many setbacks.  As age 50 is staring me down, it's starting to feel like now or never.  But even more than that, I know what it feels like to feel strong and mighty, and I want that back in my life.  Eating this way takes a LOT of time, and commitment, and work -- but it is so worth it.

I echo what someone said a few posts back:  spending time on the weekend doing meal prep for the week makes all the difference in the world.  What I learned from prior Whole30's is that it's really helpful to have at least a couple veg dishes prepped:  for me that means a big pan of roasted root vegs (I have come to love parsnips), and then some veg in soup or puree format.  Pureed roasted cauliflower is a great bet.  And this time around, I found a really awesome local pickle source and I plan on eating a LOT of fresh pickles.  (If you are in Portland, and I know there are a few of you on here, check out Moonbrine pickles on Division.  They are DELISH!).  I'll try to make at least one big meat dish on Sundays (and be sure to double it and freeze some).  AND!  Don't forget bone broth.  Easy to make and so, so good.  I make a huge batch once a month and freeze several jars at a time.

Changing my ideas about breakfast was one of my favorite outcomes of prior Whole30's.  Usually I have a compliant sausage or burger patty with a big pile of vegetables.  I rarely eat eggs for breakfast - got too bored with them.  Smashed sweet potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts with a nice lamb burger instead?  Fantastic way to start the day, along with a cup of the aforementioned bone broth instead of coffee.

Drink TONS of water!  That's my other advice.  And lots of green tea.  I also discovered Rooiboos tea and have that at bedtime.  Yum.

There are tons and tons of great Whole30 recipes on the internet and for sure you will find new standby meals.  I am especially excited for a winter Whole30 because I too love roasted vega and hearty soups.  There are lots of good seasonal options for those of us in the northern hemisphere.  I just had some non-compliant Hungarian mushroom soup for dinner and am already contemplating how to Whole30-ize the recipe.

Good luck everyone!

January 5th is my start date. It's got to be a Monday for me. I am an all or nothing type person. I'm either spot on with my eating or way on the other end of the spectrum. That's my life….gain and lose the same 10 pounds over and over. The problem now is that I am getting older and it is getting harder to lose those 10 pounds. Ugh!! 

i am the same way

I'm starting on Jan 5 th as well. Had back fusion surgery in sept but suffering from nerve pain in my left leg. Swollen calf, ankle and foot. 4 lumbar shots in three months, steroids and a plethora of other drugs. Hoping this will help reduce the inflammation and relief some of this pain. Excited and hopeful for positive results!

...and another one for the 5th :) I am excited but terrified....I know I'm going to find it really hard. I was overwhelmed by the food - I guess what to actually cook really. I bought and downloaded the nomnompaleo app and am planning on following her 30 day food plan. Maybe after a week or so I'll feel more confident, but for now I feel like I need specific direction! :)

Hi all! I was going to start on January 2nd but now I am starting Monday ....this will be my second whole 30. I did my first one in November. Sooo looking forward to it!! This time around I am trying to go with no coffee and no nuts/nut butters. If this is your first time, dont overthink it and try a couple of recipes a week...you dont want to stress yourself out. There are hundreds of recipes out there but the book provides basic recipes that you can start with. Have fun discovering new foods and seasonings:)

About to try this as well. My doctor suggested I do the 30 day program to see if my migraines stop, I am hoping they do. I also have a TREE NUT allergy which takes out several of the amazing looking recipes I have come across. Anyone find a good free or low cost APP for the phone? I'm also a super taster, which makes certain vegetables taste like you are eating dirt, so i've gone through life drowning them in cheese which now I can't do. So I am going to have to find some amazing seasonings that overpower the dirt taste. Luckily I love Garlic. I am hoping to have it all ready to go the 5th but It might be more like the 6th until I can get it all organized. But I'll stick this out as I am desperate to be migraine free. And I have started collecting Paleo recipes on Pinterest if you have some there too send me a link to your board. :)

Glad I found this topic. Also starting on the 5th. Just read through the entire list of steps again, and looking through recipes and planning my shopping list. Both looking forward to, and dreading my first Whole30. There are so many things that it could help, that it seems foolish not to give it a try. Bad skin, headaches, feeling tired, issues with fertility, and of course, could do with losing some weight. Good luck to everyone getting started on Monday! 

I was going to start in January 2nd, but the weekend got in the way. So, final prep Sunday, cooking for breakfast and lunch for the week, and starting on the 5th. Excited! BUT my husband thinks it is "just another diet" and won't be very supportive... Hope to connect with folks here that support each other.

My goals are weight loss and maybe calming some digestive issues.

Yes!!!! Im starting the 5th too!!! Im SO excited yo have you ALL as accountability partners. I so badly need this. The alcohol consumption is out of control. (Hence AA mtgs again, lol.) but I did this last Jan anf felt beautiful, energetic and like my head and mind were free and clear!

Lets do this!!!

B in ATL

Archived