Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Day One's food: M1 - turkey sausage patties, sweet potato, M2: pot roast, apple with almond butter, M3: roast chicken, salad, broccoli

I'm feeling okay so far; trying to get back into the routine after the break. I'm feeling tired since the little kids woke up earlier than usual but doing well overall. Some of my cravings are simply habit - trying to remember that, oh, I'm not eating this right now. 

How is everyone's first day going?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully you have read the BOOK " It starts with food" That will really help kick it in gear for you.. I did a round last year and LOVED it , then I got lazy. I cant blame anything but my choices, never the less no looking back today is day one and I am cooking and getting things ready, my hubby will do some but he will not do it by the book like I am doing, that's okay I am all IN... Goodluck :D You will feel so great and you can do it..

Hi everyone. I just began my first Whole30 today. So far, so good. I haven't had serious cravings. I even managed to avoid eating a favorite (peanut butter cookies) during a co-worker's birthday celebration. I've been trying to talk up Whole30 with all of my friends and co-workers to help keep me motivated. I am mainly doing the Whole30 to set up some better habits. I'm a runner, and I haven't been fueling myself well. I also suffer from migraines and they've really been getting intense lately. Finally, like so many, I am hoping to shed a few pounds. I am sending everyone else in the January 5th group good wishes for a great Whole30! 

Yesterday a mishap with the mandolin during my food prep left me with 7 stitches in my finger and today my husband had a $1K+ car repair and my debit card numbers got stolen... It was a stressful day to say the least! This would normally be a day I make an "excuse" to pick up dinner after work since I had to drive to the police station 30 minutes away to file my report BUT I came home and cooked a - tomato bun burger with mustard and homemade mayo with a kale and spinach salad with portabellas and olives =  and I feel great. Enjoying some tea now and preparing the crockpot and my brain for the struggle that tomorrow may be! Good work on day 1 everybody!

Yesterday a mishap with the mandolin during my food prep left me with 7 stitches in my finger and today my husband had a $1K+ car repair and my debit card numbers got stolen... It was a stressful day to say the least! This would normally be a day I make an "excuse" to pick up dinner after work since I had to drive to the police station 30 minutes away to file my report BUT I came home and cooked a - tomato bun burger with mustard and homemade mayo with a kale and spinach salad with portabellas and olives =  and I feel great. Enjoying some tea now and preparing the crockpot and my brain for the struggle that tomorrow may be! Good work on day 1 everybody!

Oh my goodness!! What a day! I hope tomorrow is a lovely day...and you keep cooking such yummy food! 

You are right to be proud of yourself!

Best wishes!

Mary

I made it through the first day! It wasn't too bad. I have been using coconut in my coffee for a few days and it's not too bad either! I think some of the cravings I had were just out of habit and I was able to ignore them. Let's see how tomorrow goes!!   Good luck to everyone!!

Shannonmommy

Hey everyone! So happy to see so many people starting today. It was my first day as well and I feel I'm flying a little by the seat of my pants. I prepped my food for the week yesterday so at least that was done but I feel like I haven't read enough about this (the book is on its way). I'm someone who needs to have read everything to feel prepared but I figure I can do the reading while doing the challenge and it's better to start sooner (whilst I have the motivation) than later.

I started eating healthy almost 2 years ago but I feel I've been letting myself go a little (hello sugar cravings!) so I'm hopping the Whole30 will be a little of a reset button for me. I've never done paleo - my previous diet consisted of meat, poultry, fish and eggs for protein, whole grains, vegetables and fruits that are low on the glycemic index for carbohydrates, nuts and olive oil for fat and greek yogurt for dairy. I'm willing to try something new and I feel this diet isn't too far from what I was doing that it will be incredibly difficult. Plus, I'm doing this to see what foods I might a have a bad reaction to. I've routinely felt nauseous and I think it's from something in my diet. This was alleviated when I started eating healthy but it still comes around every once in a while. So here's to hoping I can figure out why with the Whole30. 

First day went well. Nothing to report. Hope all went well with you!

Nadine

How is everyone going?  I am not doing too badly.    

Had a bit of a head ache today, but having done this before I know this will be gone by tomorrow :)    

It is early days - I am looking forward to getting my ZING back in a couple of weeks!

Finished 1st day of Whole30! Did all my food shopping and most of the meal prep over the weekend. I packed individual meals so there are very decisions about what to eat. I used Well Fed and a Well Fed 2 cookbooks. They are fab! Hope everyone has a successful day tomorrow.

On day 2 and going strong... mostly. This is my second attempt at whole30. Tried last year after new years but only made it about 2 weeks. So here's hoping second time is the charm. 

I am currently living in Barcelona and finding it a little difficult to find certain "whole30 approved" products. Also, not so easy to find organic, grass-fed meats and free-range eggs, etc. But I'm doing the best I can! Anyone else living in Spain doing whole 30?? Would love someone to commiserate with and of course, encourage and support!

I am also the only one in my house doing it and I live with Italians who subsist almost entirely on bread, pasta and cheese. I try to just stay out of the kitchen while they are cooking. I can't handle the smells.  :(

But looking forward to some good tips and encouragement from this forum to help me power through!!

Hi all! Day 2 wrapping up for me!

Day 1 as I mentioned, was dreadful. I had all my headaches etc then, and my awful morning. I tried to force myself to eat big proteiny meals and it was incredibly hard. I don't usually eat breakfast at all, so had to basically force it down my throat and felt really ill as a result.

Today however has been awesome! I decided not to push it too hard and ease into a new way of eating. So fruit and some veggies for breakfast this morning once I got to work and had woken up a little. Made a lovely simple chicken and potato/sweet potato curry for dinner, and even the Mr said it was one of the best curries we've made! I made a big batch for leftovers for my lunch tomorrow too ^___^ Can't wait! Even whipped up a little bowl of baked apples with cinnamon and nutmeg so I feeling quite pleased with myself.

Ametev, I'm in Australia and I am struggling finding a lot of compliant foods too! Bacon and cold meats are out of the question, everything has sugar. Can't even find any cranberries or apple sauce without added sugar. It's tough without a Whole Foods style store over here!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Day 2!

To echo what bonbons54 said, I too find it helpful to spend a few hours on Sundays prepping foods. The cookbook "Well Fed" by Melissa Joulwan has some excellent advice on doing just this, and some great template recipes for throwing the ingredients together with various seasonings and sauces together quickly on weekdays. I always make extra to eat leftovers for lunch as well. I highly recommend investing in this cookbook!

Yes!  Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are extra-awesome!  She also has a really great Whole 30 post on her site - The Clothes Make The Girl - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/12/28/whole30-resources-roundup-2/ with a guide on how she gets her Sunday cook-up done very quickly.

Hi everyone!  I started my first Whole 30 yesterday as well.  I'm happy to see this thread!  I'm going on this journey alone (a supportive but not-willing-to-do-this husband and kids), so commiseration and support are definitely needed. :P  

Day 1 today for me! This is Whole 30 #2 for me, I completed my last one in November. Had a pretty standard breakfast of eggs and broccoli scramble and some  roasted sweet potato with spicy mayo. Yum! My mom wanted to do a round of the whole 30, so I offered to do it with her... She is on Day 2 and doing well...

This is day 1 for me just was not ready yesterday started by not eating breakfast then found some Brie cheese that I could not let go to waste and a half bottle of wine.  Nothing else left in the house now to tempt me.  Spinach sautéed and two eggs and half an avocado for breakfast.  On Sunday I made the chocolate chile and Italian pork roast from The Clothes Make The Girl - Dec 29th blog.  Still need to cook up some go to veggies.  Not sure why I caved yesterday but better on day one then later.  It's only 30 days I've done it before I can do this again.

Archived