Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Starting day 3 here in Barcelona- I know most everyone else will be sleeping still. Lucky. Feeling pretty crappy- tired, lethargic, nauseous. Worse than I thought it would be. I usually eat pretty close to paleo and didn't think this would be such a change. I agree with the hungover feeling that a couple people mentioned. Feel like I've just spent a night out downing whiskey and cokes. bleh. Could barely get down my veggie fritatta this morning and my bulletproof coffee was much less appealing than usual. 

Hoping this subsides soon and I can move on to the good, shiny, happy stages of whole 30.

Anyone else feeling bad today?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning!!  I also started on Jan 5th. However, I have been so busy prepping,cleaning,and HEADACHES, that I haven't been able to get on here!!!  However, today starts day3, and I feel a little better!!!  AMEN!!!! I started last month, but withe the holidays, I gave in and had cheats. I am now going for 100%. I am looking forward to this challenge together!!

Starting day 3 here in Barcelona- I know most everyone else will be sleeping still. Lucky. Feeling pretty crappy- tired, lethargic, nauseous. Worse than I thought it would be. I usually eat pretty close to paleo and didn't think this would be such a change. I agree with the hungover feeling that a couple people mentioned. Feel like I've just spent a night out downing whiskey and cokes. bleh. Could barely get down my veggie fritatta this morning and my bulletproof coffee was much less appealing than usual. 

Hoping this subsides soon and I can move on to the good, shiny, happy stages of whole 30.

Anyone else feeling bad today?

Good morning!! I feel your pain!!! I actually feel somewhat better today. Yesterday, I hit the wall!!  I had to leave work early, and spent the entire day/night in bed.I also, didn't think it was going to be this bad.  I also have already cut out most of the bad foods!!! I hope your day gets better. Remember, listen to your body!!!

@bonbons54,  your name says it all!  I should have added a third word: FATIGUE.  When I step back and look at all the body symptoms as information (not problems) then I can see just how much I needed to do this.  Every day is money in the bank!

Dinner: cracklin' chicken thighs from Nom Nom Paleo and plantains!  YUM

I like that!!!  if you look at all the symptoms we are having as a way of healing, it makes me realize how sick the food and habits we have are making us!!! I am so excited to see what is to come!!

Feeling fatigued still.  But I was ready for sleep at 9:30 last night and fell asoeep easily and only got up once.  I am sooo grateful for that.  Let's see what "information" my body will give me today!  Bonbons and Pyrotek, how y'all doin' ( as we ask here in the South US)?

As Jonathan Bailor points out, everything we eat is also information for our hormones!

crawled out of bed this morning - thought my alarm clock was lying to me. however, managed to get to work on time and I think I remembered everything I need for the day -- any one else feel kind of dazed? ametev - I agree with the hungover feeling - without any of the fun the day before! blech.....

I am so tired and I have a nagging headache. I just want to go back to bed. This is no surprise as I was on a sugar overload from the holidays.

I wasn't able to prep all my food on Sunday so I've been doing some each night. This has worked out ok for this week but I will do all my prep for next week on Sunday. I love the recipe suggestions I've seen in this forum - very helpful!

Stay positive - Happy Wednesday!

Woke up this morning 30 minutes before my alarm instead of snoozing my alarm for 30 minutes like I usually do. I was shocked and thought I magically avoided the hangover or maybe I'm not doing whole 30 right. But lo and behold it's 9am, I'm at work, and I feel like a clamp is slowly tightening over my head. It's not bad yet but I can feel it slowly getting worse. Time to drink more green tea :)

keep up the good work guys!!! I promise the "sugar Hangover" "carb Flu" etc stage will pass!!!! I know it is not all Unicorns pooping skittles yet, but the time will come! Just make sure you are eating enough of everything including the fats. That was a hard thing for me to get the hang of, but now I know that helps to make my meal complete. 

I am through Day 1 (1/6) and feeling good. I made Well Fed's chocolate chili last night http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

and am planning on making the Bora Bora Fireballs for this weekend. I have an annual party at my Fire Station to Attend and know that compliant choices will be few.  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

I also made some of nom Nom paleo's Kalua Pork over the weekend http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig I did modify it since I didn't have any compliant bacon or pink sea salt. I simply left the skin on the side I put down in the cooker and I used coarse sea salt. 14 hours later I couldn't keep people from trying to reach inside the crockpot and taste it. I made some broccoli to go with ti as well as using a can of crushed pineapple in 100% of its own juice, I heated it on the stove and added about 2 tb of the liquid left in the crockpot. Simmered it for about 15 minutes and used it as a sauce for the pork.... YUM!

Hope you all have a fantastic day 3!!! keep up the work and remember to be kind to yourself the next few days. Things are changing in our bodies and it can take a toll (hello sleepy, hello RIP FACES OFF EVERYONE, hello weird cravings etc...) I know when I did my first round I backed off some of my normal physical activity and was thankful for that. Instead of going for a PR on a run or a PR in the gym, I let myself work through the first two weeks scaled back and when I did lift heavy or run hard... I had HUGE results. Plus, if you aren't feeling 100%, then pushing a heavy lift or a PR run may lead to a disappointing performance, or worse yet, an injury... plus, we have to figure out how to fuel those workouts.... check out the Pre and post workout snacks and USE them!!!!  Made all the difference for me once I put it all together!!! Okay I will drop off my soapbox now.. just wanted to lend some words of encouragement!

Day 3 here. Struggling with late afternoon munchies - definitely not hungry at all, but I want to go hunt for sweets at that time. Not sure if it's a withdrawal craving....or (more likely, I think) a behavioral thing. I have years of reinforced behavior mindlessly chowing down on treats when I get home from work - sometimes to the point of not needing dinner that night.

Also still trying to figure out how to dovetail pre- and post- WO foods with regular mealtimes, taking into account: a) WO schedule that includes first thing in the AM; b ) need to shower after, then travel to office, then breakfast in the office on work days; c) afternoon workouts are right before dinner; d) not every WO rises to the level of needing extra food. Experimenting, trying to figure out what my stomach can cope with that also has a positive effect on my workouts.

@SusanB. This is just my experience with fitting in the Pre/Post WO stuff.

1. Early AM runs- I try to get in at least 1/2 hard boiled egg and a few nuts. Then after the run I finish up the egg and maybe some  oven roasted sweet potatoes, then I eat a usually breakfast (I normally take it to work with me)

2. I lift weights in the evening, so I always make sure to Pre WO snack for this. I also make sure I have something for Post Workout as well, even though I will be eating soon... especially if I will be lifting heavy weights or trying to max out. Or after a hard run. Then dinner as usual

3. I teach dance 4 nights week (in addition to working out) and take 3 hours of dance classes a week. I don't normally have a per/post WO snack with these because I found that they weren't necessary. All of my other food intake was sufficient to fuel these classes. Now, if I do feel like I am dragging, I will add the snack in there.

Hope this helps!!!!

Once again this is what I found out as I was going through my first whole 30, everyone is different and you may find that you need to fuel differently.... I know that I always felt better after a hard workout when I had both the pre and post, even if I had a meal or was going to eat a meal close to that time.

Keep hanging in there, everyone - I think Day 3 is about one of the hardest.  Remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  It really does help.  When you're getting those mid afternoon sugar cravings, drink a big glass of water instead.  And I echo an earlier comment:  don't be afraid of fat!  Here's what I typically have for breakfast:

1/2 avocado

1 compliant sausage (I like Aiden's brand but check labels, some have sugar)

1 pile of green veggies (this week it's roasted brussels sprouts)

1 pile of roasted root veggies

1 cup bone broth

lots of water and green tea

It seems like a HUGE breakfast some days but fuels me for hours.

Good luck everyone!

Day 3 and it sounds like so many of us are in the same boat!  Ugh...started out great yesterday but by 5pm the headache was starting to really set in and I don't know why but it seems that whenever I am not feeling great my kids (teenagers!) are really chatty and loud! We had a great dinner, made chicken breast, riced cauliflower and threw in some roasted cabbage, then decided to make some sunshine sauce (from Well Fed) it was ok.  I had a bath after supper to try and losen the headache, ended up just going to bed by 9:30 because it wouldn't go away.

I AM feeling slightly better this morning, although the eyes are tired and my skin is burning (MS symptom) so my body is really telling me a story! I have today mostly planned out for food so I'm feeling prepared anyhow.

I am on day three like most of you here.  I actually feel super!  I have had three solid nights of sleep (thanks to no evening glasses of wine) and I am looking forward to even more energy as I progress through this.  I am not totally averse to the unsweetened coconut milk in my morning coffee...and don't really even miss the sweetener.  What I find the most daunting is catching myself before I throw that handful of cheese or grabbing that bag of cheese-its!  I'm gonna be just fine...and so are you!   I will get past this week and begin to add in a regular workout.  Then again, maybe I should start today!  :)  Cheers everybody!

Thanks for the input! After working out on an empty stomach for a few months, for the 30 I've started with a sizeable handful of nuts - on my way to the gym (because up at 5/out at 5:30/WO at 6/shower at 7/at my desk at 8). It's a start - I am thinking that if I see any increase in WO performance then I might see if I can add some protein, although my stomach is finicky about exercising after eating.

Post-WO and breakfast have melded - they sort of have to, because I can't eat at the gym (because, eew, but also because even if I got over that I couldn't do it and still be at work on time). I'm trying to rush my shower and commute so that I minimize the time between WO and meal, but it's going to be around an hour, give or take. Maybe 45 minutes if I don't wash my hair? I only do what I characterize as a "very hard" workout about twice a week, so I'm thinking to try and tweak breakfast on those days. Or maybe find a post-WO to eat in the car (I hate doing that), and push breakfast off by an hour or something?

I swim twice a week, between work and dinner - and I'm starting a dance class tonight that will fall solidly into the "after dinner" time slot. I am not sure how to treat these, but leaning towards not considering them WOs that need extra food - unless I see a compromise in performance?

Still learning here. On my previous two 30's I was less physically fit and not exercising much at all, so I didn't really deal with these issues.

@SusanB. This is just my experience with fitting in the Pre/Post WO stuff.

1. Early AM runs- I try to get in at least 1/2 hard boiled egg and a few nuts. Then after the run I finish up the egg and maybe some  oven roasted sweet potatoes, then I eat a usually breakfast (I normally take it to work with me)

2. I lift weights in the evening, so I always make sure to Pre WO snack for this. I also make sure I have something for Post Workout as well, even though I will be eating soon... especially if I will be lifting heavy weights or trying to max out. Or after a hard run. Then dinner as usual

3. I teach dance 4 nights week (in addition to working out) and take 3 hours of dance classes a week. I don't normally have a per/post WO snack with these because I found that they weren't necessary. All of my other food intake was sufficient to fuel these classes. Now, if I do feel like I am dragging, I will add the snack in there.

Hope this helps!!!!

Once again this is what I found out as I was going through my first whole 30, everyone is different and you may find that you need to fuel differently.... I know that I always felt better after a hard workout when I had both the pre and post, even if I had a meal or was going to eat a meal close to that time.

Hello Everyone!

Day 2 was awesome for me-felt great and even organized my kitchen cabinets. I had a ton of energy. Woke up today and could barely get out of bed. Terrible headache and minimal energy. I am trying to stay hydrated and keep on going. Oh and that " not so bad coconut milk was barely tolerable" this am. Looks like others are having a similar day. Good luck everyone! We can do this!!

Shannonmommy

I started my 2nd Whole30 on the 5th.  I had completed my first Whole30 last summer which was very successful.  I had lost weight and more importantly, I felt amazing.  Why, oh why, did I not keep it up?  I did pretty good for about 3 months after my 1st Whole30, keeping to a fairly close paleo diet and not gaining any weight back.  Then little by little, the sugar and grain demons snuck back into my life until I got to the point where I was out of control again.  I went from feeling really good to having so many joint and muscle aches that by the New Year I could hardly get out of bed in the mornings.  This go around my husband is following the plan with me.  He is excited about it and I think it will be good to have the extra support. 

It's hard to believe but after only two days I am already feeling better.  Last night was the best sleep I'd had in weeks (not perfect, mind you, but way better.) 

In the last few months I have gathered a plethora of recipes from all of the paleo websites and bloggers.  I'm trying a new recipe just about every other day.  Not everything has turned out great, but at least it's keeping things interesting. 

I look forward to reading all of the amazing results people will have as they get further into their Whole30.  I was blown away on my 1st Whole30.  It's a wonderful way of life and I'm committed!

Hello! Started the 5th as planned, day 3. Had 3 eggs, spinach and strawberries for breakfast, lunch I had sweet potato, shredded chicken thighs with guacamole and salsa and green beans. I will probably eat some leftover chili or butternut squash soup for dinner. Or both.

I normally workout everyday but the weather here has been bad, so I only went Monday. Before that I took 2 weeks off and I'm anxious to get back. I hate the frigid cold!

I have been tired, and kinda irritable. I think it's more to do with the season. Blah... Need my routine back!

Hey all!

Almost done with day 3! Like many of you, I was pretty tired today. Have been having trouble sleeping although I think that's because my internal clock shifted over the holidays (anyone else party a little too long into the night?) and is rebelling against me when I try to sleep at a reasonable time now.

I've been having a few sugar cravings but nothing major - certainly nothing I didn't feel in control of. Hopefully, this will continue to be the case.

I've been feeling really motivated to get some exercise in! I actually woke up early to run 30 minutes on the treadmill today. Yup. I chose - exercise - over sleep. Believe you me, I'm just as shocked as you are.

Hope you all have a good evening!

From Montréal,

Nadine

Day 3: Wow, I felt so much better today. I was feeling tired but overall good. My patience is back and more importantly I was able to think straight today. My headache is still there but far better. Can't wait to get through tomorrow. (First time I did whole 30 I had a very hard "kill all things" day) so far this time around, I'm having a much easier time with everything. Here's hoping to it continuing. We can and will do this!

Hi all!

I started the W30 on January 5 and, like some of you have mentioned, have already started to feel the side effects. Today was actually the first day I felt pretty good, but of course its 7:30pm and I AM READY FOR BED. I thought I would join this right now to keep myself up another hour or so haha.

Anyways, I'm doing this pretty much on a whim with my friend. I read the book in 2 days and was sucked right in! I've been really interested in mindful eating over the past year, but have had a hard time putting it into practice, partly because I am such a slave to my cravings and eat a lot when I'm stressed, tired, etc. In fact, today I noticed after dinner I started craving something to much on, even though I wasn't hungry at all. But because of W30, I realized I couldn't really eat anything...I wasn't hungry for any of the foods on the yes list. I was just bored...I don't think I previously would have realized that, I would have just gone straight for the snack.

Anyways, I am excited to continue this journey and wish you all the best of luck! You all seem great!

Seana

I haven't been feeling amazing at all in the first three days, but I also haven't been miserable. Maybe a little tired, but mostly the same. And I realized just how naughty I am because I often have all kinds of random, unhealthy cravings and I usually just give in. I'm looking forward to when I really start feeling awesome.

Archived