Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Yay! @Cyndi Lou!!! great job not drinking the wine!

@ MelissaT The chocolate Chili and Bora Bora Fireballs are my favs so far too... I have also just made the Lizard Sauce from Well Fed 2, which is pretty amazing.

Using some of that lizard sauce I mixed in some crushed pineapple in it's own juice (left over from making bora boras) and made myself a salad dressing for my spinach and chicken salad... is really tasty!!!

Hope you all are rocking Day 9... just remember the next few days are the most challenging... don't let your brain trick you! You can make it through those days!!!! 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all you January 5thers! I was on the cooking thread, and someone had just posted this free kindle paleo cookbook--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RAQU49E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00RAQU49E&linkCode=as2&tag=180degr-20&linkId=WEBUZM5PNAPTVNYL

It was free when i saw it at 9:45 eastern time....not sure if it'l still be good, but check! :)

Hope you're having a nice Tuesday :)

Feeling a little slow on this Day 9, but I haven't been getting to bed early enough and I think my body is trying to fight off a little bug that's going around. Hoping it's victorious!

I have a few times this week when I'll be eating out (including on my birthday!), so I'm already mentally planning ahead and visualizing how those events will go. It makes such a difference to be prepared for such situations.

I can also totally sympathize with those of you who are feeling consumed with the Whole30, especially in how it dominates your thoughts and actions. I promise you it gets easier. With this being my second Whole30, I find my weekly planning, shopping and prepping goes much faster. Also, just reminding yourself that each day doesn't have to involve a special recipe can be a huge boost. A steak, baked sweet potato and a salad are something you'd eat anyway and is also compliant! Plus, thinking of how to make your pre-Whole30 meals compliant now will help you so much during reintroduction.

We're heading into a few days that are tough for many. Just remember that tomorrow you'll be a third of the way through (what?!) and take stock of each positive change you've noticed since the 5th.

We can do it!

Megan

Nonononononononononono!!!! I just absentmindedly ate the wrong almond butter!!!!  The one with unrefined cane sugar in it!!!!!  I should have known by the taste but I was talking to the kids after school and grabbed the wrong one, then realized what I did after I was done!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!  What should I do now?!?  I am soooooooo aaaaaaannnnnngry with myself for not paying attention!  (insert foul language here)

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your support.  Day 9 is going well for me.  I think (and I'm hoping) that I'm just going to feel better from here.  I feel good today and I feel confident in my ability to finish out the 30 days.  This week is much easier than last week, when we were making a new fancy meal every single night.  Over the weekend, we cooked a bunch of different meals and stored them in the fridge to dish up as we need them here and there.  Now, anytime, we cook, we make sure to do a lot so that we have leftovers.  DEFINITELY the way to go.  Cooking every night was fun for a little bit, but I think it would have gotten old quickly and I just might have been one of those quitting by day 10!  But that's not happening!  I already made the commitment and now I just need to see it though and see for myself what everyone is talking about!  Keep up the good work, everyone!

@FeliciaOH I did something similar on Saturday.  I was feeding my 11 month old some puffed cereal snacks and popped one in my mouth without thinking about it.  I hope it didn't count, since it was just one little piece of cereal, and I'm hoping that I will still feel the benefits of the Whole30 once I'm through.  Depending on how much you ate (and this is my opinion), I don't think you have to start completely over.  But I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions, especially people who have done the Whole30 before and maybe had a similar experience.

Hello everyone, I started on 5th, too. Hope you don't mind me showing up late.

It took me some time to get the forum working.

By the way, in case I make mistakes while writing please excuse me, I'm not a native speaker (I'm from Germany)

This is my second Whole30, my first one was last spring, and I am excited to see how things go this time.

Hello everyone!!!  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing!!  Today is day 9 and HELLO ENERGY!! I love it, finally.I am noticing so many changes. My taste buds are changing. I could not and would not EVER drink a cup of black coffee. I would rather do without. However, this morning my husband's smelled so good, I decided to have a cup.It was actually good, not great, but good. If I feel like one cup tomorrow, I will try adding a small amount of the canned coconut milk. I am really loving this way of eating!!! 

Hello Everyone! I am just finishing Day9. I felt better today than I have in a long time! I accomplished soo much!! I was having issues with "brain fog" over the weekend but today was fantastic! I am a little nervous because I have read that Day 10 can be rough- hope not!! I like the food and I am trying to go walking  or do some strength training almost every day. I really don't mind the coconut milk in my coffee- I can't believe I said that!! Take care and Good luck to everyone!!!

Shannonmommy

Today was the best day so far! Much increased energy and reduced pain in leg nerve that has been causing me trouble. Not having too many problems except as mentioned by others, the program is all consuming. Oh well better to e consumed by a healthy activity'

I welcome day 10 with open arms!!! I am having my coffee with canned coconut milk......yummy!!!  I actually feel guilty. Breakfast and lunch are packed and I am ready to start the day. I hope everyone else is starting to feel the same. We all started together, and have been climbing this mountain, one tired,foggy,irritable day at a time!!! However, I can see the sunshine starting to peek through the fog!!! We have this!!!  Last night I tried the Moroccan chicken and my whole family enjoyed it. Today I am going to create a pork chop dish with peaches and balsamic vinegar...keep your fingers crossed!! Have a healthy 100% day, Debbie

Hi there day 10! I'm dragging this morning- missed my 6am workout because I was awake much of the night. But since I spent time planning, I'll be okay for the rest of the day. Previously, one change in routine would have derailed me.

Let's go do this.

EDIT: oh, the best-laid plans. Went to work with containers of protein, soup, veg, and guacamole. What did I forget? Oh, yeah, my breakfast. Score one for having some leftovers in the office fridge. But....grrrr.

I'm finding it really amazing what such small tweaks to my diet can make. I've already lost almost 20% of my body weight eating paleo-ish for the past 8 months, and for the Whole30 the big changes were cutting all dairy besides ghee and cutting all added sugar and sweeteners. I really did not think I was eating much of either before, but I find myself falling asleep and waking up easier, my skin is better, and my stomach is most definitely flatter. It's really making me reconsider what I'll be re-introducing when these 30 days are over! 

So far Day 10 is the best! I am starting to feel really good! I'm prepared, which is such a huge help, although I am running low on cooked veggies and tonight will be a busy night.  But I am feeling very confident in my eating and prepping skills. I finally am starting to fall asleep faster and stay asleep, so I'm feeling rested.

I had to go to the grocery store last night after dinner and, man, the cravings!  All the Valentines candy was out and the bright colors, I don't really even like candy and it looked SO good! But I got my fruit and lunch stuff for the kids and got outta there!

I'm mentally preparing myself for lunch out with co-workers on Friday. I checked the menus of the 2 places that we were talking about going to and then asked to go to the one that I will be able to modify my meal at more easily.

@Felicia - I personally wouldn't do a re-start from a small mix-up with sugar.  From what I read the sugar won't screw up your results like soy or gluten would, it just may make you crave a candy bar :). Next time you know to look before you snack!

Have a great Day 10 everyone!

Day 9 here and doing good!

Last night was my grandmother's 87th birthday so I went over and watched her blow out her candles, but passed on the yummy cake with whipped cream frosting.... Although my cousin assured me it was way too sweet and she didnt even finish her piece... so i don't think I missed much! 

Made some roasted broccoli and some roasted red skinned potatoes... I have plenty of meat stuffs for the week, so just doing up my veggies when I start to run low!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

I'm having dinner guests and  making PopularPaleos TexMex Casserole - did all the veggie prep last night, it looks good already!

... in other news, just took the BlueCross BlueShield health assessment (required for my insurance - they are our 3rd party administrator) which flagged me on the "naughty" list for nourishment due to my lack of grain consumption. Can't wait to get a call from my "health coach" and give them an earful. :) I also answered I am not motivated to change my "poor diet" as they described it, so you know they will be calling me soon...

In case you're not following the other January 5th thread, I have just posted news about Chipolte- they're standing up for their standards and aren't serving their carnitas in over 1/3 of their stores right now because of the way the pigs were being treated. Here's a link to the article if you want more info. I was so saddened, b/c today I had to run to Costco to get a few household supplies, and I thought, "oh, I'll run over to Chipolte to grab a yummy bit of carnitas, romaine, and guac." Thankfully I had packed some protein and veggies for work today, but man, i had my mind set on those carnitas!!!!! http://read.bi/1ANO7Pz

Day 10.  It's a good day.  Feeling a little better already.  My muscle & joint pains are starting to decrease.  My cravings have subsided (especially for dairy).  I'm feeling really confident in my commitment to the 30 days and a healthy paleo lifestyle for the rest of my life. 

I was diagnosed yesterday with another autoimmune disease.  I know that the whole9 and paleo approach is the right path for me, especially now with this new diagnosis.  Also, I am four years out from having had anal cancer with two rounds of chemo, radiation, then ostomy surgery.   My wish for all of you out there is that you continue to follow the paleo lifestyle to possibly avoid the issues that come from eating the wrong foods.  I truly believe that most of my medical problems have come from the glutens, sugars, gmo's, etc that I have been eating for so many years.  I am 61 years old and haven't felt "well" for a long time.  I know that this is the year that I am going to be healthy.  Every day is a new beginning.

L

• Administrators

I made the chocolate chili for the first time today (in the crockpot).  It was good, but not quite the spectacular chili I expected from all the reviews.  Definitely worth making again, though, since both kids ate it without complaint, yay!  I'll have to try the bison next time, sounds good!  I love bison meatloaf!

I didn't think it was worthy of all the crazy reviews it gets either.  And I LOVE Mel Joulwan's recipes normally.  You're the only other person I've ever heard say that it was alright but not spectacular!

So? Has anyone found a food that is technically complaint but you have to keep it off-limits due to it being a trigger food?

Mine would be raisins.  This is something that I have struggled with for years, if there is an open bag of raisins in the house, I will slowly (or quickly), one handful at a time, devour it by myself, usually in the evening.  And a lot of time I will have one small handful, which leads to another larger one, and maybe just one more... :o

I'm also wondering about Kombucha.  I love that stuff, it's SO yummy.  But is it too pop-like for me?  Don't really want to give that stuff up, but I think I need to put some major limits on it.

• Administrators

I'm also wondering about Kombucha.  I love that stuff, it's SO yummy.  But is it too pop-like for me?  Don't really want to give that stuff up, but I think I need to put some major limits on it.

That's very self aware of you!  Kombucha is approved (providing there is no sugar added in the ingredients list) but it can be reminiscent of sweet beverages for some and therefore you need to be aware of what you're doing.  I brew my own and drink it all the time....except if I'm craving something sweet.  If so, I skip the KT because it's just too sweet, even though I brew it to quite a tart level.

The things I have to stay away from are nuts because I can't seem to stop or regulate myself once I start.  I also discovered that I need to stay away from the purple Japanese sweet potatoes because they are too much like eating sweet but firm pudding.  The garnet ones I do not have that problem with.  I also stay away from fruit because it just keeps that sugar-seeking behaviour alive.

I like that you're thinking about this from the point of view of changing your relationship with foods by noticing your prevalences.  Not everyone gets here!  :)

OK, so I've recovered from the "almond butter incident".  I'm not planning on starting over because it was an honest slip and I don't think there was really that much sugar in it.  But I will certainly be reading labels even more now!!!  I made Nom Nom Paleo's burger bites with caramelized onion for dinner and they were very yummy.  As well as the sweet potato fries, which will probably end up underneath some eggs tomorrow morning.  But I do need to get to the store and pick up some more veggies.  One thing I've noticed is that I usually plan my week's dinners on the weekend before, and by Friday there's not much left in the house, because we'll go out to eat once on the weekend or so.  But now, I really have to make sure I have something planned, because I'm not feeling ready to take on the restaurants yet!

And on a good/bad note....my husband comes home with a bag of M&Ms today, puts some in a small bowl on the counter for all to see.  I hate that he's bringing that temptation around when he knows what I'm doing this month, but as good as they look (my food without brakes), I am having no trouble resisting!

So I had my first "hangry" episode since I started my W30. My son's Dr's appt went longer than expected so we got caught in rush hour traffic coming home. I had texted my husband what I had planned for dinner and asked if he would get it started. When I got home, only one (and a half) of the things I asked him to do were done. I may have been a little short with him (and the 11 yr old) about pitching in and helping without having to be asked or told exactly what to do. (if you couldn't find the garlic cloves why didn't you just make it without or use garlic powder?) I hurriedly finished making everything else while he finished grilling the hamburgers. I was so hungry by this point I inhaled my mashed sweet potatoes and cauliflower. I realized what I was doing, took a couple breaths and apologized for getting so upset. Considering my attitude has been much improved, and they know why I am doing this (depression issues, energy levels, joint issues among other things) they were very forgiving.

I think I have been going so full throttle for 10 days that I was bound to hit the wall eventually. Good news is, day 10 is in the books and we are 1/3 of the way done. I feel like I have only been sleeping, planning meals/researching, cooking, cleaning up the kitchen and working (although I must admit, even when I'm working I'm still planning or thinking about planning). I feel like I have a handle on meals for the next week. The goal is to make family favorites compliant and everyone is set to pitch in so I don't feel so overwhelmed. For the most part, the last 10 days have been very encouraging, no cravings until today (which may in fact have contributed to my short temper) and everyone has been surprisingly supportive, which I wasn't expecting.

Now if I can just remember to throw some snacks in my purse to avoid any future "hangry" attitudes returning.

Archived