Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Angela,

Day 10 has been a struggle for me too and all has been going so well! I had a super long day the other day but had a Lara bar tucked in the corner of my bag! I had never had one but read somewhere on this forum to never leave home without one. Boy was I glad to remember it was there. Coupled with a Starbucks iced tea and I was good for hours!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, the insomnia. A pre existing problem, but one that had moderated in the last few weeks.

Day 10: can't get to sleep to save my life. Usually I can crash (chronic sleep deprivation will do that to you) but wake up in a few hours. Tonight, can't get to sleep. It's now 2am. Bedtime is normally 9-10:30 (alarm at 5).

Coincidence, possibly. But....this bites.

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 11 wrapping up for me, and I'm excited with the realisations that a) I haven't quit, since apparently Day 10 & 11 are killers for that! and B) WE'RE ALMOST HALFWAY! 

Treating myself with some bacon & eggs for dinner - after finding what is apparently the only sugar and nitrate free bacon available in Western Australia! Had to bribe a friend to drive me an hour to get it, so hope it's worth it!

The only thing I'm reeeeally struggling with is surprisingly not sweet food at all, which is what i expected. I've made my own chilli a couple of times, and just omitted a couple of ingredients. It's delicious, but GOOD LORD, I MISS MY SOUR CREAM WITH IT!

OK, so I've recovered from the "almond butter incident".  I'm not planning on starting over because it was an honest slip and I don't think there was really that much sugar in it.  But I will certainly be reading labels even more now!!!  I made Nom Nom Paleo's burger bites with caramelized onion for dinner and they were very yummy.  As well as the sweet potato fries, which will probably end up underneath some eggs tomorrow morning.  But I do need to get to the store and pick up some more veggies.  One thing I've noticed is that I usually plan my week's dinners on the weekend before, and by Friday there's not much left in the house, because we'll go out to eat once on the weekend or so.  But now, I really have to make sure I have something planned, because I'm not feeling ready to take on the restaurants yet!

And on a good/bad note....my husband comes home with a bag of M&Ms today, puts some in a small bowl on the counter for all to see.  I hate that he's bringing that temptation around when he knows what I'm doing this month, but as good as they look (my food without brakes), I am having no trouble resisting!

Great job on resisting the candy!!!  My husband does the same. Now, that I can see clear, I noticed that most of my family and friends do the same. However, as we are getting older, I have noticed how fast they are aging, have pains, feel sick, etc.....That alone is enough to keep me from traveling with the pack!!! Maybe once they see how great I look and feel, they will join me!!!! Until then, this group is my support!!!!

Oh, the insomnia. A ore existing problem, but one that had moderated in the last few weeks.

Day 10: can't get to sleep to save my life. Usually I can crash (chronic sleep deprivation will do that to you) but wake up in a few hours. Tonight, can't get to sleep. It's now 2am. Bedtime is normally 9-10:30 (alarm at 5).

Oh, the insomnia. A ore existing problem, but one that had moderated in the last few weeks.

I usually go to bed around 8:30-9:00 pm. I wake at 4:00 am ish...However, I have also been waking around 2:00 am and not able to go back to sleep!!!   This has only happened since I started this. I Think it is just my body reacting to the changes. I do not have caffeine only fruit in the evening. Did this also change for you since starting?

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 11 wrapping up for me, and I'm excited with the realisations that a) I haven't quit, since apparently Day 10 & 11 are killers for that! and B) WE'RE ALMOST HALFWAY! 

Treating myself with some bacon & eggs for dinner - after finding what is apparently the only sugar and nitrate free bacon available in Western Australia! Had to bribe a friend to drive me an hour to get it, so hope it's worth it!

The only thing I'm reeeeally struggling with is surprisingly not sweet food at all, which is what i expected. I've made my own chilli a couple of times, and just omitted a couple of ingredients. It's delicious, but GOOD LORD, I MISS MY SOUR CREAM WITH IT!

I have been cooking with fruit on occasion, and that seems to help. I have tried pork and chicken with either grapes, peaches,or apples and everyone loves it!! It has helped me. I am just trying to be careful and not overdo it!!!

Good morning, Last nights pork chops with onions, peaches, and balsamic vinegar was great!!! because I had fruit I only had a vegetable for a side (no starch). I now need to try something spicy to change it up and keep my taste buds off of the sweet!!! I for the first time really feel liberated!!! and not thinking of calories,points, servings, etc!!!! for me this alone is worth it!!!  I do not feel like I am getting any smaller. However, I will not use the scale, I will wait!!! I do feel much healthier now that the brain fog and headaches are gone. I used to weight train in the evening and cardio 3 times a week during the day. Since the holidays and starting the Whole 30, I have not had the energy or motivation. I was just putting 100% into this. I wonder if that is why I don't feel any thinner????? I am going skiing this weekend and I must get back into my workout routine!!!  have a healthy 100% day, Debbie

Day 10 for me today...

Had a good weight training night last night and a good night teaching dance. Although I did have a moment where I got a little testy with my husband for eating the last of the eggs. We have other things in the house he can make to eat, but he ate the last of what he knows I eat for breakfast. but, I got over it quickly and I fixed up some shredded pork with broccoli and baked sweet potato bites with some Frank's red hot in a bowl this morning... was quite good. 

Am Sleeping pretty well and getting up easy, things I appreciate about this way of eating. 

Entering into the second third of the Whole 30 and I am upbeat.  I feel great.  I have had trouble with insomnia my entire adult life, and I am thrilled to report that I am sleeping very soundly.  I have been enjoying the prep time with my wife, who is not a fan of cooking.  We have been doing it together and it's been fun.  The roasted vegetables are a great staple to have in the fridge and the proteins have been fun to experiment with.  My sister and I, who is also doing Whole 30, went to the bulk spice store this weekend and loaded up on the goods.  We made spice blends from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com and I have been going crazy with them.  One thing I have found with this journey is a reawakened sense of creativity in the kitchen.  I am preparing dishes I have never had before and it's FUN!  

I did have a challenge on Tuesday of this week.  I had a lot of emotional stress and some very strong triggers for having a couple of beers, but alas I focused on the goal, did some squats and an ab workout, and voila, made it through.

I am very grateful to my sister for bringing Whole 30 to me.  It's been worthwhile endeavor.  Onward ho!

• Administrators

I usually go to bed around 8:30-9:00 pm. I wake at 4:00 am ish...However, I have also been waking around 2:00 am and not able to go back to sleep!!!   This has only happened since I started this. I Think it is just my body reacting to the changes. I do not have caffeine only fruit in the evening. Did this also change for you since starting?

Sugar in the form of fruit before bed can mess with your sleep. Your body is trying to gear down for the night and then you give it a blast of energy. Try avoiding that fruit before bed and if you truly are hungry enough to eat (not just crave-y), have a small protein and fat snack (hard boiled egg or couple bites meat with a couple olives).

• Administrators

. It's delicious, but GOOD LORD, I MISS MY SOUR CREAM WITH IT!

Have you tried putting some guacamole or just diced avocado on top with a sprinkling of salt? Can give a replacement for the creaminess and the salt revs up the flavours in the chili a bit.

I have searched every Whole Foods and specialty market in the surrounding area and CAN NOT find any coconut aminos. They keep saying, "We should get some in our next shipment."  Anyone else having a hard time finding it?

And I was planning lettuce wraps and egg drop soup for dinner tonight :(

EDIT: STRIKE THAT!! Just called the Sprouts that told me Tuesday they would get them later that day (and didn't) again. And they finally arrived. Looks like my 11 year old won't be disappointed tonight!

Hubby and I started on the 5th.  The timeline was such a blessing to us yesterday. After he turned up his nose at what I had cooked for breakfast and vented a tirade about what he wanted to eat that wasn't allowed and I was quietly fuming though feeling much the same, we read the timeline which perfectly described what we were experiencing. Explosion and/or cold shoulder treatment averted! We were able to laugh about it and hope for better days ahead.

Today is definitely the hardest day for me.  I can see why people quit around Day 11, but I am committed to finish the program.  I'm just thinking that 19 more days of this is going to feel like forever and, for the first time since I started, I'm craving chocolate!  It might just be that I didn't pack enough for lunch and I haven't been staying hydrated, but it's still hard!  I'm hoping tomorrow is much better.

Today is definitely the hardest day for me.  I can see why people quit around Day 11, but I am committed to finish the program.  I'm just thinking that 19 more days of this is going to feel like forever and, for the first time since I started, I'm craving chocolate!  It might just be that I didn't pack enough for lunch and I haven't been staying hydrated, but it's still hard!  I'm hoping tomorrow is much better.

Hang in there, you've come too far to stop now!!!  

So I'm hurting. Just had a toenail ripped off (by the doctor, on purpose). Numbing shot is wearing off.

It hurts like hell. And all I want is a damned milkshake.

Ouch!  I had a portion of a nail removed once because it was ingrown, but I can't imagine the whole nail!  Hope it's feeling better! :wacko:

Ouch! I had a portion of a nail removed once because it was ingrown, but I can't imagine the whole nail! Hope it's feeling better! :wacko:

Thanks. Hurts like some really choice expletives right now (it's the next morning). Popped some coedine to try and get myself through shower & dressing change so I can go to work. Good thing my meals are prepared already!

I hope I can get back to exercise asap. Don't like being down from that.

@SusanB.- Hope you are back on your feet soon! Bet it will feel so much better soon without the ingrown in there!

Day 11 here and still going strong... had some left over shredded pork and borccoli over some fried plantain last night... with a dash of hot sauce.... YUM!!!!

I can honestly say I had to count on the calendar to see what day I was on! Good sign that this way of eating is becoming easier every day!!!

visiting a friend over the weekend and we are going to make a compliant dinner and have "mock tails" together! So excited....

During my first whole 30 I did have a few nights where I woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt fall back asleep and I had one of those nights last night. I woke up and then couldn't fall back asleep for like 15 minutes. When I did I got some solid sleep in and I don't feel tired this morning... still up and ready to go... Happened about 3 times last time around and then last night.... anyone else having this?  It wasn't like full blown insomnia, but just like I was WIDE AWAKE at 3am.... 

During my first whole 30 I did have a few nights where I woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt fall back asleep and I had one of those nights last night. I woke up and then couldn't fall back asleep for like 15 minutes. When I did I got some solid sleep in and I don't feel tired this morning... still up and ready to go... Happened about 3 times last time around and then last night.... anyone else having this?  It wasn't like full blown insomnia, but just like I was WIDE AWAKE at 3am.... 

I have noticed this too, it's not because of my water intake, or any discomfort, I'm just all of a sudden awake, and it's well before my typical 7.5 or 7 hours of sleep! I have trained myself not to look at my phone to see what time it is, because then I'll just worry about not getting enough sleep. So I relax and start to fall back to sleep. Not sure what's triggering it though! it's driving me nuts—it's been happening for the past week for me. NEED MORE SLEEP especially since I get up at 4:30 am anyway!!

@SusanB.- Hope you are back on your feet soon! Bet it will feel so much better soon without the ingrown in there!

Thanks - not even an ingrown! I screwed my big toe up training for a marathon (my first! Which I ended up not even running because of a knee injury). This was 2+ years ago....and it never grew back properly. The podiatrist said that my best chance of getting it back normal was to rip it off and start again. So let's hope that this works!

In bummer news, I packed up my breakfast and lunch for the office...and promptly left it at home. Ended up eating a ton of nuts because that's what was here - along with a little veg & guac and an apple. Now I'm feeling bummed because I really had waaaay too many nuts.

Hello everyone! We made it to day 12...yippee. I had a crazy day at work, and for the first time, I didn't dive into a plate or a bag of something gooey! I will be away for the weekend. We will be skiing. This is going to be a challenge for me. Whatever it takes, because I DON'T want to start over. I also wake at 4:30am, and have been waking at 2:00am and not able to fall back asleep. I wonder why? Have a wonderful weekend, l will be back on Tuesday.

Day 11

Doing ok. Cooking a lot on the weekends and heating stuff up during the week. Made the 5-Spice Slow-Cooker Pork Ribs actually my husband had the day off so I gave him the recipe. Pulled out the crockpot and all the ingredients to make it easy for him. It was falling off the bone good. He wanted coleslaw with it so opened up a bag of pre shredded cabbage and mixed it with Paleo mayo and some vinegar. The 5 spice on the ribs was a bit different so next time my husband said he was going to play around with our spices and come up with his own rub. My husband and I had gotten into a bad rut where we didn't want to cook when we got home from work. So we would go out and have pizza or hamburgers once a week and sometimes we would have both during the same week. The Baby back ribs was so easy and so yummy that it will be taking the place of the pizza and hamburgers. Maybe not every week but every other week.

Hope you'all had a great week

Day 12 and still going well.  Today was a weird day.  I had eggs and sweet potato hash, snap peas and an apple and half an advocado but I was hungry all morning.  Then lunch was my lunch out with coworkers, so I ordered the Cobb salad with no bacon, cheese or dressing.  I got olive oil on the side and it had roasted turkey and an egg, so it was pretty good.  But then I was headachy and hungry all afternoon.  So I finally caved and took an advil, this would be the first one since I started.  I made sure to have a good solid supper tonight of salmon (from well-fed SO good!) and cauliflower rice, I had a tea with coconut milk for my fat and I'm feeling a bit better.  It just doesn't help that my athsma has been flaring up this week, I have not had this happen in YEARS.  It's really frustrating.

Anyhow, I am at the same point I caved last time, so YAY me! Tomorrow will be a better day. Going to go shopping this weekend and re-stock the fridge and prep.  And I think I'm going to tackle making the scotch eggs for lunch on Sunday as a fun meal, they look really good.  

We are almost halfway there!

Pimples pimples pimples.

After two whole30 s last year my pimples cleared up now starting a whole30 one week in and pimples have arrived. It's the toxins exiting my body. But where were they before like last year? Strange to think if I was eating some naughty stuff now and again late last year pimples never came. As soon as I eat for whole30 they want to get out of my body. Almost like they can't stand the foods I am eating.

(I'm only doing a whole15)

Archived