Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!  I'm brand new to this, only just learned about Whole30 and have decided to take the plunge on January 5th.  Glad that there are others here starting on the same date, I'm going to need people to help keep me accountable!

Has anyone tried signing up for the Whole 30 Daily email?  I keep trying and getting an error message about my confirmation email address not matching, even though it definitely does match.  I emailed support about it, but was just curious if anyone else was having the same problem.

Best of luck to all!

Hey all! I'm starting Jan 5 too! My first whole 30! I printed a calendar for January and I'm filling out my planned meals for each day of the month plus ideas for lunches and breakfasts. I'm vacationing in Florida right now (woot) and will be back home Jan 3. I plan to do a big shopping trip Jan 4 and do prep work for the week as well. My boyfriend plans to join in too and hoping he takes it seriously and we can hold each other accountable. If not then this forum should help :) Good luck every one!

Hello!  I am starting my second Whole 30 on the 5th as well.  I did a whole 60 last Jan and Feb and felt great at the end!  Then life got stressful and my focus shifted.  My husband and daughter will doing a modified version, aka - if I cook it, they eat it, but they won't be dairy free or bread free.  it makes it a little more difficult, but the absence of soy and sugar in most things benefits them as well!  My daughter is also happy to know that one of her favorite crockpot recipes is coming back soon!  Vacation ends on Saturday, grocery shopping and prepping sunday.  Looking forward to kick off!  Good luck to all!  You got this!

I am also choosing January 5 as my start date. I really need to plan well as I work long days and have to be able to have food readily available. Suggestions? I've heard you have to make the crock pot your best friend.

I plan to use the crock pot quite a bit too. I downloaded some free paleo kindle books including some crock pot ones (most recipes whole 30 or easy to modify). I'm making Sunday my prep day for the week since I usually work late too. I don't want to "waste" a half day prepping but I know, at least for me, if I don't I'll end up in failure. Cutting veggies, browning meats in bulk will save big time during the week. Also having lots of snacks on hand- boiled eggs, roasted vegetables, deli meat- will make it easier for me to not cheat.

Hello Everyone - I am starting my first Whole 30 on January 5 also! I've been following the Primal Blueprint diet since May 2013 and I've lost 30 lbs (not too shabby for a 4' 11" woman), I no longer have the joint and ligament aches and pains I'd been experiencing for years, my blood sugars are no longer in the pre-diabetic range, and I no longer need oral antibiotics to control my acne. Needless to say, it's been great.

I'm doing a Whole 30 because I feel the need to clean up my diet a bit more and see how I feel. This means I'll have to cut the grass fed dairy, dark chocolate, sweeteners, paleo treats, and wine (which I only use for cooking) that are allowed on the Primal Blueprint diet. Primal also allows an 80/20 rule, which I sometimes use as an excuse to eat some popcorn, corn chips, corn on the cob, rice and potato based gluten free pizza crust, non-grass fed dairy, diet soda, or a little piece of my kids' candy.. (Wow that seems a lot now that I write it out!)

I still have GERD, a ton of strange food intolerances, and a few autoimmune issues, so I am considering doing a combination of Auto-Immune Protocol Paleo and Whole 30 but I'm not sure I can handle all that change at once.

Anyway, I'm excited to get started and participate in the community here!

I am also choosing January 5 as my start date. I really need to plan well as I work long days and have to be able to have food readily available. Suggestions? I've heard you have to make the crock pot your best friend.

To echo what bonbons54 said, I too find it helpful to spend a few hours on Sundays prepping foods. The cookbook "Well Fed" by Melissa Joulwan has some excellent advice on doing just this, and some great template recipes for throwing the ingredients together with various seasonings and sauces together quickly on weekdays. I always make extra to eat leftovers for lunch as well. I highly recommend investing in this cookbook!

Okay I'm in....I live east of Seattle in the Cacade foothills and have plenty of access to great food. I am looking forward to better health and mobility. I have a feeling sharing my struggles may be challenging to me but I am committed to succeeding so this may by just what I need to come out of my shell (even that admission gave me a weird feeling). Keep me motivated and talking. I think accountability will be just the kicker I need.

A new month, a new year, and a new week! January 5th is my decided start date :)

This is my first time doing the Whole30 and I am researching up a storm. I have given myself a few weeks to help clear my pantry, set up a routine exercise time 3-5 times a week, etc. I'm even using my local library (which I have never been to before) to check out Paleo cookbooks.

I have anxiety and depression issues that I feel are greatly attributed to my diet. I really want to get healthy and see if what I eat will effect my mood as well as keep my body happy.

Want an accountabilibuddy? Choose me! Choose me! :D Let's help each other! Anyone interested?

Hey! I live up in Snoqualmie and am nervous and exicted to start....thanks for starting the thread!

I'm glad I'm not he only one starting on the 5th! This will be my 2nd W30, although I've "started" half a dozen times in the past year. I'm a little frustrated that I haven't gotten the support in the past (that I feel I should be getting), but this time I'm determined to stick to it, after all it's my health and emotional well being at stake. So tired of the headaches, depression and anxiety that I KNOW from experience is from the food I am eating.

I start January 2nd! I'm excited for the challenge.

My coworker did it this past summer, and I promised I would start the new year with the Whole 30! She's doing it with me and will start Sunday the 4th.

The main thing I'm dreading is my coffee. I usually have 1 cup of Green Mountain Coffee Sumatran Reserve with 1tsp of skim lactaid milk with 4Equals 2-3 times per day. I'm thinking of not having coffee over the 30 days and just sticking with unsweetened black tea??  :mellow:

I'm also starting my first Whole30 on the 5th.  I was feeling very stressed about it today but as I have sat down and actually planned a few menus, I am feeling more confident that I might actually be able to do this!  Although, I am at a roadblock when it comes to breakfast!  Anyone have any suggestions?!  I don't want to eat the same thing every morning!  

I'm really excited to get started!  

• Administrators

Although, I am at a roadblock when it comes to breakfast! Anyone have any suggestions?! I don't want to eat the same thing every morning!

One of the coolest things about doing a Whole30 is breaking the "breakfast foods" mindset. You can eat whatever you like for your first meal of the day. One of the most popular options is leftovers (often people throw an egg on top to change it up a bit and make it a bit more breakfasty). Personally I do veggie hashes (cabbage, green beans, cooked yams, cooked carrots, onions & mushrooms, whatever veggie I have) with pre-cooked ground meat or sliced chicken thighs. You can change the seasonings every day if you want to. I tend to prepare in advance one thing for breakfast for the entire week (either a skillet as above or some sort of breakfast bake).

You can also google Whole30 + breakfast ideas and you'll get more ideas and threads than you'll ever need.

The main thing I'm dreading is my coffee. I usually have 1 cup of Green Mountain Coffee Sumatran Reserve with 1tsp of skim lactaid milk with 4Equals 2-3 times per day. I'm thinking of not having coffee over the 30 days and just sticking with unsweetened black tea??  :mellow:

I used to drink my coffee with milk and splenda, but I've switched to canned coconut milk and no sweetener. It took a few days to get used to it but now I have no problem with unsweetened coffee!

I used to drink my coffee with milk and splenda, but I've switched to canned coconut milk and no sweetener. It took a few days to get used to it but now I have no problem with unsweetened coffee!

Yes, my coworker who's done Whole30 before recommended the same thing! I will try it.

I love dinner for breakfast (and breakfast for dinner lol). Some un-breakfasty things I've enjoyed for breakfast: curry, chicken wings, zoodles, guacamole. Sometimes I like my leftovers cold instead of hot, especially in summer (which it is here, in Australia).

For eggs, egg & bacon muffin cups are great for making-ahead. I quite like scrambles and omelettes too, especially if I've pre-prepped the veggies already.

I'm in!  My sister and I are doing this together.  I have done detoxes, cleanses, fasts.  I like the challenge and the mental game.  I am looking for the switch to flip.  Something to stick ya know?  I am not a fan of scales, measurements, and the like.  I want to be the strongest, fittest, healthiest, vibrant, version of myself.  From what I have read this program is full of people with the same goals.  In the past I have struggled to find my place in online communities.  I don't do facebook or any other social media.  I'm committing to The Whole 30 and this community for 30 days.  In order for me to find what I'm looking for I'm going to need to form relationships with people striving for the same things.  Again, I'm in.  01/05/15!

• Administrators

Hi Bestmeicanbe, congrats on arriving at Whole30, it sure sounds like you are committed, that's great to read!

I do want to quickly point out that the Whole30 is not a detox, a fast or a cleanse, it's a focus on eating real, whole foods in order to determine food sensitivities and learn things about your relationship with food.  Ideally when the 30 days is up you would have a better understanding of how food affects you physically and psychologically and as you go forward you use that information to help educate your decisions.

Since Whole30 also isn't a fan of scales and measurements, you're totally in the right place and your goals of being healthy and vibrant are excellent and self respecting goals to have!  And you're definitely in the right place to find others striving for the same things!  Best wishes!

Archived