Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Hello! I have started my Whole30 today - so close enough to January 5th. I'm excited we can all keep each other accountable! I don't have the support at home, so it's a relief to know there is this online community.

I am overwhelmed by this huge lifestyle change. I can't wrap my mind around how I'm going to break the terrible habits I've been living. I am used to having 3 cups of coffee each day full of cream and sugar. I am used to going out for pizza, burritos and burgers several nights a week. I am used to coming home from work exhausted and being sedentary.

I am ready to change all of that though! Here are the things I struggle with that would love for the Whole30 to improve:

-GERD/Digestive Disorders

-Anxiety

-Sore joints

-Severe acne (I'm tired of caking on makeup to hide it)

-All these extra pounds

-Low energy

Good luck, all!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!  I am starting on Jan 5th and it will be my first Whole 30.  I am a bit nervous, because I am such a picky vegetable eater.  I mainly eat lettuce, green bell peppers, onions, tomatoes (in any form other than fresh), carrots, celery, and mushrooms.  However, my goal is to try at least 3 new veggies during my 30 day journey.  I look forward to learning about everyone's journey to help me with my own.  Here we go!  

About to try this as well. My doctor suggested I do the 30 day program to see if my migraines stop, I am hoping they do. I also have a TREE NUT allergy which takes out several of the amazing looking recipes I have come across. Anyone find a good free or low cost APP for the phone? I'm also a super taster, which makes certain vegetables taste like you are eating dirt, so i've gone through life drowning them in cheese which now I can't do. So I am going to have to find some amazing seasonings that overpower the dirt taste. Luckily I love Garlic. I am hoping to have it all ready to go the 5th but It might be more like the 6th until I can get it all organized. But I'll stick this out as I am desperate to be migraine free. And I have started collecting Paleo recipes on Pinterest if you have some there too send me a link to your board. :)

Hi OregonGal, I would recommend buying or making some ghee (Nom Nom Paleo has great instructions for making ghee on her site, and it's much less expensive than buying it pre-made) and slathering your veggies in that, roasting them, then drizzling them in balsamic vinegar.  It helps combat bitterness and bring out sweetness. Also, the cookbook Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan has several great sauce recipes and seasoning combos for stir fries/hot plates. I seriously cannot recommend that cookbook enough. Good luck!

I'm starting January 5th and dragging my husband and three girls along with me.  We are going to break the emotional eating cycle that we all (excluding my husband) struggle with.  I am cleaning out the pantry and making my grocery list.  I am worried about breaking down and cheating at work more than anything.  I sit behind a computer all day and struggle with eating out of boredom.  Any suggestions on breaking this habit would be much appreciated.

I am going to start on Monday.  This will be my second Whole30.  Yes  when I did my first one mid September I felt like I was always in the kitchen cooking and cleaning.  I must tell you it was all worth it.  There was also something that  made me feel really good each day (even though phyisicaly and mentaly I was grumpy and felt bad) knowing that I was sticking to the plan that was way more satisfying than the food and alcohol i wanted..

Something very rewarding about deciding to do something and sticking with it no matter how hard it was.  I can't really put it into words.  As i look back on this and how i did it i now i realize that it was because i started out with a mind set that number ONE I AM GOING TO DO THIS, IT IS ONLY 30 DAYS OF MY SO FAR 58 YEARS OF LIFE.  

I think that with that my thoughts where more on the  cooking and cleaning and not on my eat what ever and drink a bottle of wine each day.  Looking forward to Monday and hoping to do 90 days to really change my habits.  omg 2015 is going to be the best ever. :D

I have great memories of my mom cooking and making wonderful food even thou we where very very poor she always made sure we had food that she made most from scratch.  I was at the grocery store today and bought ox tails something I remember from my childhood.  Cant believe how much they cost but looking forward to finding a compliant recipe . 

There is really something so much more satisfying when you cook it yourself with love and purpose.

Love and kiss to all of you on this journey to health. Going outside of the box and making a difference in your life.  love you all 

Hi OregonGal, I would recommend buying or making some ghee (Nom Nom Paleo has great instructions for making ghee on her site, and it's much less expensive than buying it pre-made) and slathering your veggies in that, roasting them, then drizzling them in balsamic vinegar.  It helps combat bitterness and bring out sweetness. Also, the cookbook Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan has several great sauce recipes and seasoning combos for stir fries/hot plates. I seriously cannot recommend that cookbook enough. Good luck!

Thanks Chandra, I actually picked up some Ghee at Natural Grocer which is about 2 blocks from home. Roasting them does seem like an option. Ill try to balsamic vinegar too, I am also making some paleo mayo to use as a sauce as well. I found a few recipes for cheese as well using Nutritional Yeast flakes which is like a seasoning that tastes like cheese.. I am going to try it all until something works.  Good thing I love coconut, it is going to be a lifesaver with the Tree Nut Allergy.

• Administrators

Hey Oregon Gal! Roasting veggies is my favourite way to make them. The nutritional yeast "cheese" is sounding a bit like "creating old foods with compliant ingredients" which we refer to as "sex with your pants on" (SWYPO). The suggestions would be to leave that particular creation aside for your whole30.

At our house we often use spice mixes and blends to create new flavours in the same old veggies.

Have fun experimenting!

I'm in January 5 as well!

I did my first Whole30 in December and felt incredible improvement in energy and mood. I was thinking of doing a whole 60, but took a couple days off to indulge. But one thing leads to another and moderation was no where to be found...It was not worth it!!

I will be doing the autoimmune protocol this time. My hypothyroidism has been hard to manage this year and I am so hopeful that moving more towards the whole9 lifestyle will be a key part of getting healthy.

Reading everyone's posts was so helpful in December, so please keep sharing!

Hello!  I am starting on Jan 5th and it will be my first Whole 30.  I am a bit nervous, because I am such a picky vegetable eater.  I mainly eat lettuce, green bell peppers, onions, tomatoes (in any form other than fresh), carrots, celery, and mushrooms.  However, my goal is to try at least 3 new veggies during my 30 day journey.  I look forward to learning about everyone's journey to help me with my own.  Here we go!  

Hi! I can totallllllllly relate- I'm a super picky eater when it comes to healthy food too. I eat few veggies, and only eat them raw! Lettuce, carrots, broccoli, celery, snap peas on occasion. I don't eat a lot of veggies at all, and I'm a baker and a sugar addict! My diet consists pretty much exclusively of grain, dairy and sugar, so this is going to be a challenge and a half. I'd also like to change my tastebuds a little and start enjoying more foods. Will certainly make my life post-30 a little easier to have more variety.

Hi all,

I will be starting on the 5th also, I have signed up to the daily emails and just got my day 0 email so will go through that and take before pics and measurements etc. I read it starts with food quite a while ago but got the audiobook too so have been listening to that to refresh myself over the last few days. I also have both Well Fed cookbooks as well as the nomnompaleo app on my iPad. This is my first time doing the whole30 so want to be prepared! Just a couple of things to get today and I will be all set for tomorrow. I am from the UK any tips from anyone else from the UK are greatly appreciated

I am starting on January 5th also, looking for some friends to help keep me accountable.

I would love to find a snapchat buddy (or several) - to send pics of food/meals and to help keep each other motivated and on track. Let me know if anyone is interested! Emma

Hello all! I started today and planning on cooking up a storm to get me ready for the week ahead. Reasons for doing this are mainly around digestive health issues that started to creep up last year and I made some positive choices to get myself of medication that my doctor said would be fine to be on for the rest of my life (I'm only 34!). Now really want to uncover what my food sensitivities really are, so the food experimentation at the end of the Whole30 is what I'm most looking forward to and is my main source of motivation. Good luck everyone and happy prepping today!

I am a newbie to Whole30 and have planned a January 5 start date. I have completed a two week elimination diet in the past and felt so much better that I believe this will be a great next step. I'm a bit nervous about starting as I'm a "grab and go" food person and have never been great at meal planning and preparation. Any suggestions for pre- or post-workout snacks would be greatly appreciated!

Good Morning!!!

I am starting tomorrow morning about to do my clean out now. I have been doing ALOT of reading and prepping. I am excited to clean out my fridge and pantry. so many of the recipes look delish, will spend some time preping today for sure!!!

At the end of the day it is just me and the (insert amazing bad food-anyone will do i love them all) so i am excited for the accountability of clicking the "yes i did it" button of my daily 30.

I'm having a birthday party for my son this afternoon, where I'll have my last gluten free pizza for 30 days, then I'm going to spend the evening prepping vegetables, making ghee, homemade breakfast sausage (I can't eat eggs, unfortunately), homemade coconut milk and butter (I'm going to see if eliminating guar gum helps my stomach and GERD issues), and eating the last of my dark chocolate. Good luck to everyone!

I'm starting January 5th and dragging my husband and three girls along with me.  We are going to break the emotional eating cycle that we all (excluding my husband) struggle with.  I am cleaning out the pantry and making my grocery list.  I am worried about breaking down and cheating at work more than anything.  I sit behind a computer all day and struggle with eating out of boredom.  Any suggestions on breaking this habit would be much appreciated.

I sure do wish I could drag my husband and kids along with me! My husband won't budge and it would be nearly impossible to deny my kids cookies, candy, bread, etc. when their Dad is still eating them. With regard to the snacking, I've found that after eating paleo/primal for a while I very rarely have the urge to snack between meals (I sit at a computer all day too). It definitely has an impact on the hormones that regulate your blood sugars and make you hungry, but it can take some time to kick in.

Hi Everyone, 

I have done two whole 30's September and October and have been eating 85% or so whole 30 through november and December - but I miss that amazing whole body health I had during those two months.  I had written down 14 negative regular symptoms before I started my whole 30's and 13 of them went away during the 60 days.  I was planning to start January 1, but we've had 3 days of different out of town friends over visiting and I decided to go ahead and enjoy wine and pizza and dessert with them before I really recommit to this.  So tomorrow is my day 1!  I'm excited to be on this journey again.  It truly cured my issues with food and I enjoy the freedom that comes with eating food that makes me feel so good!  

Starting tomorrow too. I've been eating better this month but haven't been totally compliant. This will be my second Whole30 but I've had a lot of false starts since my last one. Anyway, I've frozen two weeks worth of food and my freezers and pantries are stocked. No birthdays/holidays/outings/vacations on the horizon so that should make it easier :)

Archived