I'm brand new, and very confused

JoviPrincess

• Moderators

It does sound a little overwhelming at first, but I promise, you can do it. Lots and lots of us have. It is definitely different than the normal dietary advice to eat lots of whole grains and low fat stuff, so it can be a lot to wrap your head around. 

You should check out the Whole30 rules, the meal template, and the Can I Have list. If there are other foods you have questions about, you can try googling Whole30 plus whatever you're searching for. If you have something you can't find an answer to, come back here and ask.

The simplest way this was once explained to me was:

Eat:

1-2 palm-size portions of protein (meat, eggs, fish, chicken)

1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (hint: nuts are a fat source on Whole30)

2-4 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day. 

Keep that in mind as you're reading everything and absorbing the details. It's a pretty basic way of eating.

Welcome! You can do it! I would suggest that you make everything from scratch, no packaged foods at all. The only canned foods that I use are olive oil, coconut oil, red boat fish sauce (not required), coconut aminos (not required) canned tomatoes and compliant chicken broth. Check out Nom Nom Paleo or The Clothes Make The Girl for some great recipes. Not all are compliant so leave out the ingredients that aren't or pick a different recipe. I would not eat out or eat a someone's house during my whole30. There is nothing worse than having to start over because you accidentally ate dairy, soy or legumes. If you normally eat packaged or fast food this will be a challenge so be kind to yourself. Good Luck!

I too am a bit confused. But thank you AmyS for making it sound easier.

Don't overthink it. Protein, fat, veggies. Bam, that's a meal. Really. I know there are all sorts of questions people have about specific products and ingredients, but at heart it's an extremely simple program. Keep that in mind, and eat up!

Archived