Post workout protein

paleodec2014

I'm on day 14 on my very first W30. I usually drink my protein shake after my strength training. I now avoid dairy and sugar in the shake, Is there any paleo friendly protein that anyone can suggest? I eat grilled chicken sometimes after workout but I can't have chicken all the time.

Besides chicken, egg whites, and compliant tuna or salmon are other options. Browse the Whole30 for Athletes forum for other ideas.

Also, protein shakes are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs drink it, plus it's tricky to find compliant protein powder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Compliant sardines in water or pouches of tuna work wonderfully because they're easy to throw in your gym bag, and usually cheap too. Just bring a fork!

It's pretty easy to bake several sweet potatoes for the week and bring a small container of them with you, too. No need to refrigerate if it's only for a few hours. In a pinch, baby food pouches (read your labels) are excellent for a little carb replenishment. Sweet potato, butternut squash or beets are good choices.

I make mini sliders, they're super easy to make and keep for several hours without refrigeration or several days in the fridge:
Blend 1 part egg to 2.5 parts lean ground beef or turkey and salt to taste thoroughly (it helps to scramble the egg and salt before mixing it into the meat);

Make sure that you keep the meat "fluffy" if you knead it too much it has a tendency to get dense;

Form small slider patties about an inch across and fry them in a hot lightly greased (olive or coconut oil) pan until thoroughly done and nicely browned - about 3-4 minutes per side;

Remove excess grease from cooked sliders and pan using paper towels.

If you want to get fancy you can add herbs for flavor - fresh sage roughly chopped is a favorite of mine.

Archived