A Binge Eater's 1st Whole 30

Cleanandgreen

As a result of a few years with various eating disorders, my relationship with food has become pretty complicated. After a period of pretty extreme restriction in the early spring I decided to try and recover and ended up spiraling pretty badly into binge eating. I've had periods where it's in control and periods where I just can't stop eating everything in sight. It really sucks but I think that the whole 30 is a great way to improve my food relationship. I'll probably end up updating what I eat every day to help keep me accountable :)

• Administrators

Welcome to the Whole30 Forum!

Having a diagnosed eating disorder is a pretty big deal and one that may require more caution on your part when entering into something as strict as the Whole30.  Take a look at a couple of these articles dealing with Whole30 and disordered eating, perhaps it will better prepare you for what you may expect.

http://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-Melissa-eating-disorders/

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/moderation/

http://whole30.com/2012/02/whole30-gone-bad/

Welcome to the Whole30 Forum!

Having a diagnosed eating disorder is a pretty big deal and one that may require more caution on your part when entering into something as strict as the Whole30.  Take a look at a couple of these articles dealing with Whole30 and disordered eating, perhaps it will better prepare you for what you may expect.

http://whole30.com/2014/06/dear-Melissa-eating-disorders/

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/moderation/

http://whole30.com/2012/02/whole30-gone-bad/

Thank you so much for these 3 links and your advice. I researched this before starting and didn't see the last link which actually had the most information in it, so thanks again :) I'm really conflicted about what part of me really wants to do this to be healthy and what part is just comforted by the strict rules. Another thought I had was that I should probably allow myself all foods and learn to become comfortable around "unsafe" foods, because I don't want to go crazy when I get off the Whole 30.. I'll definitely give this more thought!

• Administrators

Ms Clean And Green.....would you mind seeing your way to posting quantities? I have a funny feeling that you are not eating nearly enough and with the lack of fat and minimal intake, you are more than likely going to find this extremely restrictive which may not be good for your ED.

Whole30 is very specific about what you can and cannot eat.....it is NOT restrictive as far as intake, at all, ever. Eat food. Then some more, then repeat.

Further, try to combine your fruits with a meal rather than alone and if you do require a snack, plate up a mini-meal containing at the least, protein and fat, instead of just fruit.

What are the fats you are adding to your meals?

I guess I hadn't really been adding any… I'm a huge fan of avocado and nuts so I'll try to add those in!

Ms Clean And Green.....would you mind seeing your way to posting quantities? I have a funny feeling that you are not eating nearly enough and with the lack of fat and minimal intake, you are more than likely going to find this extremely restrictive which may not be good for your ED.

Whole30 is very specific about what you can and cannot eat.....it is NOT restrictive as far as intake, at all, ever. Eat food. Then some more, then repeat.

Further, try to combine your fruits with a meal rather than alone and if you do require a snack, plate up a mini-meal containing at the least, protein and fat, instead of just fruit.

Thank you for the tips! I think that would actually make a much more sustinable snack anyways and might help me stop mindless eating. (Not sure if the book mentions that, I just started reading it). I actually felt it would be better to hold off on the whole 30 until I spoke with my therapist. I really don't want to make things worse again, but really do feel that I'm better enough to attempt a health challange like this! I ate similarly to yesterday, and am talking to her tomorrow! 

• Administrators

That's an exellent and well-advised call to make, very head's up! It's quite possible that you are totally ready for a challenge such as this to learn new eating habits and make new relationships with food...but it's good that you have her to help you see any challenges or potholes along the way.

I am sure it would help you to look up the templates which explain quantities. Eating just nuts is not advised. You need protein, carbs, and fat at every meal.

Hutlifr, I never meant I would only be eating nuts… I put those in as an example (along with avocado) of fatty foods that I really enjoy. Ofcourse I would (and do) eat other types of fats. When everything is fine in my head I actually tend to eat pretty balanced and well rounded meals. Believe it or not, I know what a healthy meal looks like. Now I realize that sometimes I don't do that, but that's not because I don't know better, I do, it's just a mental thing. I'm sure you were just trying to help and I appreciate that, but I just didn't really find your comments to be that constructive.

That's an exellent and well-advised call to make, very head's up! It's quite possible that you are totally ready for a challenge such as this to learn new eating habits and make new relationships with food...but it's good that you have her to help you see any challenges or potholes along the way.

Thank you, I was really proud of myself for doing that. She gave me the thumbs up but wanted me to check in with her, and stop immediatly if it gets too restrictive. I'll start again today, since our xmas dinner last night was by no means whole30... I'm so excited and really hope this can change the way I view food.

Archived