NYT: Sugar Season. It's Everywhere, and Addictive.

kirkor

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?_r=0

>And we don’t mean addictive in that way that people talk about delicious foods. We mean addictive, literally, in the same way as drugs.
> In animal models, sugar produces at least three symptoms consistent with substance abuse and dependence: cravings, tolerance and withdrawal. Other druglike properties of sugar include (but are not limited to) cross-sensitization, cross-tolerance, cross-dependence, reward, opioid effects and other neurochemical changes in the brain.

The only sugar we have in our home is honey.  But everyone else has sugar!  It's so many places, and people think its a great treat to give to a toddler.  Why people, WHY????  At the farmers market a vendor tried to give my son a candy cane. I saw GMO corn syrup and red dye #40.  My son's brain went crazy with the promise of a dopamine reward.  Then the crying insued.  Yesterday I took him for a hair cut.  The lady handed him a lollipop and some sweeties.  WTF? Why don't people ask the parents first?  I have my own troubles with food cravings and we are trying to give our kids better and set our kids up to have a palate for healthy foods.

runnerchik70:

Oh my gosh, I'm living the same way!!! My stepson eats total CRAP. It's very difficult to get him to eat healthy. He actually mocks healthy foods and prefers junk food. It's a running joke with him. I feel terrible. My fiancée has tried to have discussions with the boy's mother but she gets extremely defensive. It feels like a losing battle. Like there's no winning and it honestly breaks my heart. If you find a solution to your similar situation, PLEASE SHARE!!!

Best wishes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived