electric smoker

Aly :-)

So...I got my fiance an electric smoker for Christmas and I know he is going to want to use it as soon as I start my whole 30 january 1st. Trying to find any whole 30 electric smoker dishes for fish/meat of any type. Google is not giving me much :-)

Thanks!

You can make any fish/meat recipe in an electric smoker as you would a wood smoker.   The smoker is totally enclosed and probably doesn't have a water pan.   Search for smoked recipes and smoke away.....

SUGAR FREE SMOKED SALMON RECIPE

For good reason, smoked Salmon is a staple around our house.  It’s great to snack on, cook with and even eat as a main dish.  We love it, but aren’t necessarily interested in all the sugar that most recipes rely on.

About a year ago I set out to see if smoked Salmon could be done without sugar of any kind.  No honey, maple syrup, sugar, nothing.  It seems simple enough, but the thought of smoked salmon without any sweetness doesn’t even sound right, so I started out very pessimistically to say the least.

I was pleasantly surprised enough with the first batch that I new that we were only a few minor adjustments away from something we could enjoy.  The recipe has turned out to be very simple with only a few ingredients, but it’s turned into something that the family can enjoy very regularly.

Before I get too far down the road, the desired saltiness is something that you might need to adjust.  As I mentioned, the goal in developing this recipe was to create a smoked fish that could be used in any situation and so it’s salted like you would salt a piece of non smoked fish at the table.  The result when using a brine, however, allows for a more consistent saturation of the seasoning throughout the meat which lends itself to a richer taste bud experience.  Make notes on your recipe sheet and keep track of your ratios to fine tune the results as you and your family would like.

This recipe is based on 5 pounds of Salmon or Steelhead.  Start with an appropriate sized dish and add 2 quarts of cold filtered water (no I don’t like chlorine with my fish ;-).  Add 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder and a half tablespoon of garlic powder.  Finally, add 1/3 cup of sea salt or earth salt and agitate well.  Add the fish, agitate some more and place in the fridge.  If space is a problem, I’ve often just cleared out a produce drawer and brined the fish in it.  It’s a great way to save space!  Brine the fish between 8-12 hours.  Remove and rinse the portions well.

Trying to explain everyone’s smoker and thus the duration required for your fish would be a little difficult, but I’ll share with you what works for us.  We typically smoke with a pellet fired grill and are able to do most of our fish in between 4-6 hours.  Summer, winter, humidity, etc. all effect smoking times.  Keep an eye on it and whatever you do, don’t over cook your fish.  An internal temperature of 140 F is all the further you need to take it.  For increased humidity in the smoker, you might add a bowl water.  The convection of a pellet fired grill can really dry things out and I prefer to still have some moisture left in the fish when it’s all said and done.

Of course when you remove your fish, you must enjoy at least a little taste, but to finish it off, several hours in the fridge is a must.  This recipe is certainly simple enough to add a variety of ingredients.  Have fun with it and let me know what you’ve added to the recipe to make it even tastier.

Lance Fisher is a professional fishing guide

Pulled Pork with No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce

Makes 4 1/2 cups uncooked BBQ sauce and a whole lotta pulled pork. 

Pork:

4 - 5 pound pork roast, shoulder or Boston butt
32 oz (one carton) of veggie broth, chicken broth, or beef broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3-4 garlic cloves minced
1/2 white or brown onion sliced

No Sugar Added Paleo BBQ Sauce:

14.5 oz can no salt diced tomatoes in juice
1 white or brown onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how much of a kick you want it to have)
2 teaspoons KOSHER salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but highly recommended)
1 cup drained pineapple chunks from a can (save the juice!!)
3/4 cup pineapple juice from the can

To make the pork. I often buy pork when it is on sale and toss it in the freezer. When I'm ready to make pulled pork, I'll take the pork out and put it in the fridge to defrost for a half a day or so. The night before I want to eat the pulled pork, I'll put the partially defrosted pork in the slow cooker. No need to worry about it being fully defrosted. In fact, it could be basically frozen. Add the broth to the  slow cooker. Season top of pork with salt, pepper, and garlic. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 10 - 12 hours (overnight works best). If your pork is not frozen reduce cooking time to about 8 hours.

In the morning, or after the pork is done cooking, carefully remove the pork from the slow cooker and set it in a dish. Remove the fat, it should be pretty easy to find. Discard fat. Shred remaining pork. Drain the slow cooker of liquid and discard liquid. Add the shredded pork back to the slow cooker.

Homemade No Sugar Added BBQ Sauce:

Sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce. Blend until smooth. Taste. (It won't taste quite right because it hasn't been cooked yet, but you should be able to tell if you need more seasonings.) Adjust seasonings. The flavor will develop once it cooks with the pork, but I do recommend you taste it before cooking. 

Cook pork as described above -  overnight with broth and seasonings, shred and discard fat and cooking juices. Return shredded pork to the slow cooker. Add sliced onions and desired amount of homemade BBQ sauce. I used 4 cups for 4 lbs of pork. It was saucy (the way I like it) but not too saucy. The BBQ sauce will cook down some during cooking time. Stir well. Cook on low for 4 1/2 - 6 hours.

Use this recipe for the smoker and follow the directions on this link.   http://www.the-greatest-barbecue-recipes.com/pulled-pork-recipe.html

Easy slow-cooked beef brisket that makes a tough cut of meat in to a flavorful and delicious meal with plenty of leftovers.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American
Serves: 10+
Ingredients
  • 1 large beef brisket (grassfed)
  • ¼ to ½ cup white vinegar or tomato juice
  • Liquid Smoke flavoring
  • Worcestershire sauce (natural recipe with no added sugars or MSG)
  • Ground pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • herbs and spices to taste

Instructions
  1. Remove brisket from packaging and rinse well. Place in roasting pan or large enough baking dish to hold brisket and the juice it will create when cooked.
  2. With sharp knife, pierce brisket across the grain to tenderize. Try to pierce every ½ inch or so.
  3. Rub/pour the vinegar or tomato juice on the brisket (this will tenderize).
  4. Pour liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over brisket (to taste, I usually use ⅓ cup of each).
  5. Season to taste with pepper, garlic and onion powders and herbs like basil and oregano. (Do not use salt! This will make it tough!)
  6. Cover pan and put in fridge overnight (at least 12 hours, up to 24).
  7. In the morning, place in oven, covered,at 300 and cook 8-10 hours (A good rule of thumb is about 40 minutes per pound of meat).
  8. Baste every hour or so (this is totally optional! There are many days I just stick it in the oven and go).
  9. When cooked, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Slice against the grain in thin slices.

Find a Smoker Brisket recipe and adapt this one for your electric smoker.

The tips are good for an electric smoker....you'll have to adapt the recipes for a W30.

Cooking Perfect BBQ with the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
 Written by Alex J. Fierro
25_main.jpg
Cooking BBQ is fast and easy with a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Here are some tips and tricks to help!  

NOTE: This is the final part of a 3 part blog series. If you haven't already done so, you should check out part 1: the perfect pork rub and part 2: explanation of the MES (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker) and AMNPS (A-maze-n Pellet Smoker).

OK, it's now 7am. Now there's nothing to do for 3 hours. If you want, you can spray your ribs every hour or so with a mixture of 3 parts apple cider vinegar, 1 part olive oil. Most people don't bother especially using the common 3-2-1 method which I will be using. I don't bother with spritzing; you probably shouldn't either.

nF06DYul.jpg

Now time to relax. Have breakfast. What's good on a day full of pork? Sausage, egg and cheese of course! See the apple juice? We'll use that next. Drink most of it, save some.

So now we're just chilling out. I actually went back to bed for an hour or two.* Then I went to check on the baby bunnies that are living next to my central AC condenser unit. (NOTE: Again, use common sense, the MES is basically set it and forget it, but please don't burn your house down.)

Now it's 10am. It's been 3 hours. (the 3 in "3-2-1 ribs") Take the ribs off the smoker, bring them inside. Wrap them in foil and pour some of the aforementioned apple juice into the foil pouch to keep 'em extra moist. They'll steam and get nice and tender in their little pouch. Leave the pork alone. You can spray it with the cider if you want, it doesn't do much to it though and again, most people think spritzing is a waste of time. Throw the ribs back in the smoker and wait... you guessed it, two hours. Then bring the ribs back inside and unfoil them and they'll look like this.

IcOpfczl.jpg

At this point, they're safe to eat and will taste delicious, but for maximum deliciousness, complete the 3-2-1 method by putting them back in for a final hour, unwrapped. I like to dust them with a tiny bit more rub here, some people say don't. Oh, by the way, it's finally noon! it is now socially acceptable to begin drinking! Beer and smoking go together. It's science. I started the day with a nice 7.2% DGF to catch up on lost time.

After the final hour, get the ribs out of the heat and put them in a pan to rest for 5-10 minutes. They don't need to rest for very long. You know they're done when they bend easily and the meat starts to retreat from the bone. (You can see it on the bottom there). This "meat pull back" is much more pronounced in ribs that are cut "St. Louis style" vs these "baby back/loin cut" ribs. Some people do loin/baby back ribs 2-2-1 vs 3-2-1, I like 3-2-1 for baby back ribs and about 3-2-2 for St.Louis. They will NOT turn to mush with extra time! (unless you do like 5 hours of extra time or something crazy). They may be slightly more dry, but still 100% acceptable.

When you're pulling the ribs off for the final time to rest, take a peek at your pellets. In the photo below, we're at 6 hours, we're about 50% done. Perfect. We won't need to reload at all today! Certain pellets will burn faster or slower and some windy days will get extra airflow and increase your burn rate, but as a rule of thumb expect 10-12 hours of smoke.

JFQ3BtQl.jpg

5-10 minutes is plenty of time to rest, in my opinion. Some say rest 30. While it rests, boil some potatoes and mash 'em. Slice the ribs up into 2 rib portions.

Note: these ribs will be super tender but not "fall off the bone" tender. You don't really want fall off the bone tender here. They should be eaten ON the bone, not with a fork. Save that for pulled pork. If you want super extra tender, keep 'em cooking for a bonus hour, they won't dry out too too much thanks to the low heat and then they will be "ultra tender". Anyway, it's like 1:30 now. Time to eat lunch.

Ah, delicious.

At 6 hours, you should be into "the stall" on your pulled pork. The stall refers to a point at which the internal temperature of your meat will stop rising at a certain point for HOURS at a time. This occurs at about 155 degrees. Basically, at this temp, the juices start to rise to the top and keep the meat cool like sweat on a hot day. You will get stuck hopelessly at ~160 degrees and you'll think your thermometer is broken. It's not.

0oYYZvcl.jpg

You have 2 choices here. You can remove the pork and wrap it in foil or just wait. Wrapping it in foil (sometimes called "the Texas Crutch") is faster but will have a bit less flavor (it won't absorb smoke flavor with the foil on) and foil also makes the crunchy bark a bit mushy. It'll still be yummy though. Since I have all day, I'm not foiling. #YOLO. Aaaaaand we've made it past the stall!!! Now we just have to wait 'til it reached an internal temperature of about 185-190. Some say you should go as high as 200 or more. But without that Texas Crutch, it will take close to 15-16 hours or more and you'll risk being dry at that point.

5o6Xs7sl.jpg

At 11 hours (6pm), I reached 185 so I took it out and let it rest. It now looks like a hunk of coal, a delicious hunk of coal!

After giving it 30 minutes to 1hr of resting time, it's time to pull it. After you break up the bark and break the meat into 3-4 large pieces, with only a little bit of effort, you can likely pull out the big bones. (One bone with a butt or two with a shoulder/picnic) They should come out nice and clean.

Now you pull the pork. <a data-cke-saved-href="http://amzn.to/1qbsSmk%20target=" href="http://amzn.to/1qbsSmk%20target=" _blank"="" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(0, 0, 238);">You can use 2 forks or "Bear Claws". Bear claws make it easy. They also double at easy ways to lift meat in and out of the smoker. They're a good investment for BBQ'ers.

Now you just need to mix it all up soaking in any juices that might have leaked out during rest and pile it high on a bun of your choice. I like potato rolls. Serve it with optional addons, like bbq sauce, pickles, pepperjack cheese. Don't slather the sauce on yourself. It'll detract from the flavor you spent so long developing. You probably won't need any sauces at all! This pork is super flavorful and shockingly moist for meat that has spent nearly 11 hours cooking! Enjoy your delicious pulled pork sandwiches.

As far as leftovers? What leftovers?! If you must, you can easily refrigerate whatever hasn't been devoured. They'll keep about 3 days in the fridge and 3 days in the freezer. To reheat, put it in a bowl with a wet paper towel on top to ensure it stays moist. And that's it. The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and AMNPS put out some great barbecue without too much muss or fuss. I highly 

recommend them!

Archived