Starting on Monday, Dec 29th

Jalopy

Thank you Jalopy. I just read the Whole9 article on Eating Meat using the link Chris posted and found it helpful. It's only been four days and I already feel less bloated and am drinking much more water. Looking forward to a lot of positive changes.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone - was looking for a group that started at end of December and here you all are! I started on Friday 12/26. This is my second Whole30, the first was January of 2013, however I was not completely compliant with having sugar-free cough drops and gum. This time is the real deal. A bit of advice if it's your first time - make sure you are drinking plenty of water - past 5 days I have been very thirsty getting adjusted and also tired around 3pm if I don't drink enough. Happy New Year.....job and good luck to all!

Hi all ... I've been lurking around the forums and keep heading back to this thread, so I figured I'd join in.  I started December 29th too.  This is my first Whole30.

So far, so good.  No headache yet.  I drink black, decaf coffee (lactose intolerant, but can eat cheese ... and sensitive to caffeine) so maybe that helps with the beginning withdrawals.  Energy is getting low during my morning workout.  Hope it doesn't get too much worse before it gets better.

Hit the "hate the world" on day 2.  It wasn't pretty!!  But I'm just mildly grumpy today :-)

I have that "I'm getting sick" feeling today.  Maybe it's Whole30???  

Giving this a go to see if I can figure out food intolerances.  Nothing major, but lots of annoyances.  Also need to get off the sugar train!!!  I'd be happy to drop a few pounds that I gained over the holidays as a bonus!  

PS  Just cooking my first "recipe" dish ... chili from Well Fed.  Smells great and really easy to make!

I have that "I'm getting sick" feeling today.  Maybe it's Whole30???  

Sounds like the Carb Flu to me! ;) Drink lots of water and maybe add a bit of extra starchy veg like sweet potato/squash/carrots/beets to your meals for the next few days. And don't forget to drink LOTS of water.

Day 6 here. Making up some leftover slow cooked lamb with carrots, parsnips and sweet potato and a fried egg on top for brekkie!

On day 7 and was craving coffee - I have never ever been able to drink a cup black and now a week without sugar and it tastes pretty awesome! So far have not had flu-like symptoms just very very tired some days needing a long nap in the afternoon and then can't wind down at night. Hoping to get the nap craving out of my system before I go back to work on Monday!

Does anyone know when the "better sleep" will happen? I'm not expecting it this soon, obviously, but just want something to look forward to!

Which and when changes occur is highly variable - we are each truly as unique as a snowflake.  I encourage you to go through this journey one day at a time, observing any changes you personally experience as you go through the process.

Day 5 down.  Hardest day so far, but I hung in.  

Long day at work with a cold (guess I was headed down the "sick" road and not just carb-flu ... but pretty common from what I've read). Trying to hang in with no OTC cold meds.  Does anyone know if you are "allowed" to take cold meds on program?  I'll have to do some reading!

Hope everyone had a good day!

BTW ... chili was awesome!  Had it over spaghetti squash for lunch.  Hit the spot!

Must have been a chili kind of week. Looks like most of us made it! Tasted great and very filling. Day 5 down and feeling normal again with headaches behind me.

Made the kalua pork from nom nom and it was very good. Lots of leftovers that I can use in the upcoming week. I'm nervous and excited to try and make homemade mayo. I think the pork would be great on top of some broccoli slaw.

Trying to get back to my consistent workout schedule as well. The holidays have the class schedules all out of whack. Excited to tackle an Insanity class this weekend and camp gladiator workouts next week. Is anyone else getting active? What is your go-to activity? Activity keeps me sane .

Must have been a chili kind of week. Looks like most of us made it! Tasted great and very filling. Day 5 down and feeling normal again with headaches behind me.

Made the kalua pork from nom nom and it was very good. Lots of leftovers that I can use in the upcoming week. I'm nervous and excited to try and make homemade mayo. I think the pork would be great on top of some broccoli slaw.

Trying to get back to my consistent workout schedule as well. The holidays have the class schedules all out of whack. Excited to tackle an Insanity class this weekend and camp gladiator workouts next week. Is anyone else getting active? What is your go-to activity? Activity keeps me sane .

I'm making homemade mayo this weekend too - if you are making the one from Well- Fed it's so easy, just drizzle the olive oil veeerrrrry slowly! Good luck! I do a DVD workout series called TurboJam which is boxing set to dance music and just started Les Mills Combat yesterday - more kicking and boxing which I love to do! Plus, I don't have to leave home in 30 degrees - just go to the basement! I made a 1.5lb turkey great last nite with roasted butternut squash and other veggies - just olive oil, salt and pepper - plenty of leftovers for next 2-3 days too!

Truly a chili kind of week! I'm still eating leftovers and then will put the rest in the freezer for later. I'm going to try the mayo recipe also but will use my vitamix. Hope it turns out! I'm not a fan of jar mayo, either, but I'm getting tired of tuna with mashed avocados.

(WholeChristina, is that a dood in your profile pic? Looks just like mine! Love them!)

Have to say that my abdomen feels so much better already. It's hard to explain but I've been noticing that it feels empty but I'm not hungry. Like there's room for all my organs but that's it. It's nice! It's weird because of all the food I'm consuming. Must be the right food!

Have a great weekend!

I tried to make mayo a few times, finally successful the third time (with an immersion blender) when I read that you need to put all the ingredients together, allow a few seconds for the oil to rise to the top, then start blending from the bottom.  I've also tried to be creative w2ith the mayo that "broke"... add extra egg yolk, more lemon juice, garlic, pepper  and anchovies... Caesar salad dressing!

Starting day eight, and I feel good.  The phases that I read about have either been really mild or my typical modus operendi is to have a headache, need a nap and be a pain to deal with! :)

Hi Everyone, my name is Jess and I started on Monday 12/29 as well. Thought I'd say Hi since I've been reading this thread too. This is my 3rd W30, but my first time on the forum. I had a very stressful past few months with injuries, illnesses, etc...and let my eating and *drinking* get a bit out of control. I had a bad detox day yesterday (headache, nausea) but feel much better today. 

I see all the posts on homemade mayo. I've been pretty successful with blending by hand- but I drizzle the oil in pretty slowly (patience here). I like nom nom paleo's recipe but I use extra light EVOO instead. Yes, everything room temp is the key! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise 

Have a great Day 6 everyone! 

Day 6 here for me. Went to a party last night and stayed compliant : )

My headaches are gone and that is a huge blessing! I've had 2 nights where I dreamed I ate something I was not suppose to eat...sugar in my tea and a piece of chocolate! Woke up and for a few seconds was really ticked with myself til I realized it was a dream. So funny : )

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Another note on mayo ... not all recipes I saw mentioned this, but the one I used emphasized how important to have egg at room temperature.

This is not true. I used to freak out about all the intricacies of mayo making. If your mayo isn't working properly, just add another egg.

All you need to do is combine 1 cup of light olive oil, 1 egg, a squeeze of lemon juice, a tsp mustard powder and about a tsp salt and whizz up with an immersion blender. Easy! It works. No drizzling. No room temperature. No waiting until things settle. Trust me, I do it all the time :)

Day 8 today! Woke up feeling fresh and ready to take on the world. Felt a bit blergh yesterday in the 42 degree celcius heat but survived on meat, salads and lots of water!! Survived a trip to the pub without drinking any beer and walked straight past the frozen yogurt shop, even though it was calling my name!!... I came so close to slipping when I went to my favourite fish restaurant that serves an amazing quinoa and almond salad. None of their salads are W30 approved and I was going to just throw in the towel, but I ended up leaving and going somewhere else to eat where I got grilled chicken and cabbage salad in a vinegarette for dinner. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. Nearly 1 week down!

• Administrators

All you need to do is combine 1 cup of light olive oil, 1 egg, a squeeze of lemon juice, a tsp mustard powder and about a tsp salt and whizz up with an immersion blender. Easy! It works. No drizzling. No room temperature. No waiting until things settle. Trust me, I do it all the time :)

I'm with you, NazzaB! I have mayo made and cleaned up in 90 seconds or less...however long it takes to pour, crack, squeeze, sprinkle, blend and refrigerate! The only reason I've been seeing to let the egg and lemon juice come to room temperature together is to do with the citric acid in the lemon juice "cooking" the raw egg to avoid potential food poisoning. I'm slightly skeptical about this myself but I suppose it doesn't hurt if one is worried about it. I am not and prefer instant mayo to pre-planning. ;)

Well looks like I'm starting again.

Went out for coffee with my sister and ordered an iced coffee no milk. It came out looking very dark but a bit creamy and I asked "there's definitely NO milk!?" "Yep no milk" they reassured me.

Took a sip and it tasted a bit sweet. There was icecream in it! (It was very well hidden under some ice)

Not the end of the world but I also had some food and ordered a flourless veggie frittata they said had no dairy in it! I started eating it and it had fetta :(

I was too frustrated and hungry and cranky to bother sending it back as I'd already sent my coffee back twice. Not throwing it all in though; enjoying a roasted whole chicken with vegetables for dinner tonight!

Day 1 tomorrow!

• Administrators

Took a sip and it tasted a bit sweet. There was icecream in it! (It was very well hidden under some ice)

They told you there was no milk in your coffee but they didn't mention they put ICE CREAM in it? That is horrible, no wonder you were frustrated and upset!

Archived