Ann's Third W30!

Ann

I am feeling much better, thanks :)  So glad that whatever was going on was short lived.  A co-worker mentioned that yesterday was a full moon, and there was a bunch of other "planetary" stuff going on, and that she knew a whole bunch of people who had a rough time yesterday/last night.  I don't personally subscribe to astrology, but of course the moon does have some effect on us.  So who knows!  

Once I finally got to work, I had plenty of energy, and was productive.  In fact, I got so busy I totally forgot a chiropractor appointment!  :wacko:  And as I type this, I realize that I didn't snack, or even have the urge to have a snack, at all today!   Could be it was because I had a late breakfast, with a good fatty bulletproof coffee.  But I still count that as a success. 

So, I've mentioned a couple of times my little corner store (http://www.greenzebragrocery.com/) which has so many wonderful things.  Among those wonderful things is a great salad bar, and hot and cold deli items.  Before I started the W30, I would occasionally stop and get breakfast-to-go there. They have an egg/veggie scramble that's really good.  I'll have to check with them to see if it is dairy free (and otherwise compliant).  Anyhow, I had planned to take leftover chili for lunch today, but since I didn't make dinner last night, I didn't have a quick lunch to pack.  So I hit the Green Zebra salad bar on my way to work, and it was awesome!  I feel very fortunate to be doing this in Portland.   

Here's what was on my Day 12 menu:

Breakfast - eggs scrambled with power greens, with some Frank's Red Hot, and a few grape tomatoes, and a cup of BP coffee.

Lunch - spinach salad with various veggies, shredded chicken, olives, olive oil/vinegar 

Dinner - chocolate chili bubbling downstairs!  I'll probably pour it over some power greens.  I'll be happy to have lots of leftovers on hand!

Oh, and I also drank a ton of water today :)

15597095694_611c1148fe.jpgDay 12

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you had sweet potato noodles?

Check out this site.  I was thinking when we made chili that serving it over roasted sweet potato noodles might just be too good... so I didn't do it :) But maybe you are more in touch with satiety signals than me and could handle it!

http://www.inspiralized.com/howto/

Sweet potato noodles?  Would those be ... poodles?  haha!  :P That website makes me want to get a spiralizer.  But I just ordered my first julienne peeler to make zoodles, it should arrive tomorrow.  Can't wait!  Maybe I'll try using that on a sweet potato?

Day 13 has been a good one.  I stopped at the Green Zebra on my way to work this morning and checked out the hot deli counter.  Turns out the egg/veggie scramble is compliant!  So I got a big bowl of that, and filled a salad dressing little thing with walnuts to add a little fat to my breakfast.  It was awesome.  Although, eating in the car isn't probably in the spirit of W30.  :ph34r:  I also picked up a small green salad at the salad bar to go with my chili at lunchtime.  I didn't pay attention to how much each item cost, but the total was $8.63.  And I couldn't even come close to finishing the eggs, so next time I do that, I will probably get about 2/3 or 1/2 of what I got today (the hot deli items and salad bar are sold by weight). 

Came home and made mayo!!!   I wish I had made more, because I used the whole entire batch in my curried chicken salad for dinner tonight.  There's plenty of leftovers, so between the chicken salad and my chocolate chili, I probably won't need to cook  much for a few days.  I've tried to double my mayo recipe in the past, and it never worked.  So if I want a double batch, I just make two batches back to back.  Next time.  

Generally, I'm feeling good.  My sleep does seem to be gradually improving - last night I slept pretty well.  My aches and pains are still there.  My energy level, focus and mood are definitely better.  I have a feeling I'm on the edge of feeling the Tiger Blood!!!   Which motivates me to stay true to this.  I still want a glass of wine when I get home from work, but my resolve is much stronger than that desire. 

Here's what I ate today, Day 13:

Breakfast - egg/veggie scramble, chopped walnuts, La Croix

Lunch - chocolate chili, green salad with olive oil and vinegar

Snack - cashews, coconut flakes, dried pineapple

Dinner - curried chicken salad (from the Everyday Paleo cookbook), sliced cucumber, sparkling water with cucumber

16039840408_1aee5a4dba.jpgDay 13!

Feeling a little tired today.  Didn't sleep great last night, and my back, hip, ankles and shoulder are really stiff and sore this evening (more than usual).  And the neuroma in my foot is flaring up for the first time in a long time.   AND, I have a few itchy hives developing from the Advil I took when I had that massive headache a couple nights ago.  I'm trying hard to just ignore them and hope they just go away quickly - scratching will just make it worse. :blink:  Maybe it's just an off day -- I don't feel lousy or anything, just not quite as great as I had been feeling.  I wore a pair of boots to work yesterday that I haven't worn in a long time - maybe they tweaked my body (likely my foot, at least).  Hm.  :unsure:

Nothing too exciting to report - it was a low key day, all in all.  Going to watch the new episode of Downton Abbey with my daughter and then hit the pillow early and hope for some restful sleep. 

Breakfast - sauteed asparagus and mushrooms tossed with scrambled eggs

Lunch - leftover chocolate chili, baby carrots, cocktail grapefruit

Snack - cashews, dried pineapple, coconut flakes

Dinner - curried chicken salad over baby greens

16233236231_9e07d13467.jpgDay 14 - two weeks in!

Slept great last night, finally!  Day 15 today, and it's just gonna keep getting better! 

I did have my first "food" dream though -- dreamed that I had a glass of wine at my friend's house, and was sooo disappointed in myself.  I was debating whether to try to pretend it didn't happen and keep going, or 'fess up and start again at day one.  And realizing it would be like cheating at solitaire to not start over.  I was REALLY glad when I woke up and realized it was just a dream! 

Your curry chicken salad looks amazing! Just caught up with your log and noticed you mentioned possible problems with BP coffee. I love BP coffee too, and have to limit myself to one cup in the morning. It is delicious but can be filling! Have you tried drinking plain, black coffee sometimes? It's not my favorite ... definitely an acquired taste, but it is satisfying in it's own way {especially in this weather}!

I just discovered this morning that the veggie egg scramble I’ve picked up twice from my super awesome corner market, which carries great organic, grass fed, sustainable type products -- is cooked in a combination of olive oil and CANOLA OIL. :angry:  Argh!   It is otherwise great - only ingredients are organic, cage-free eggs and veggies.  I read that canola oil isn’t an automatic reset, but best to avoid it.  So I guess I won’t be getting my breakfast to go at the Zebra anymore.  Dang!

Halfway there!  Woohoo!!  Feeling pretty good today, although it is Friday night and I must admit, I'd really love a glass of wine. 

I stopped to get take out at the Cultured Caveman, and spent some time perusing their offerings again.  Boy, they have a lot of great stuff.   I'm really glad to have a place like this so close to home!  I just bought coffee, but when I run out, I'm going to buy the actual Bulletproof coffee beans there, and see what all the fuss is about.  I think I buy pretty good coffee already, and it would have to be pretty darned spectacular for me to shell out $19 a pound on a regular basis.  But check out all this great stuff they've got!   If you zoom in real close, you can see the ingredients in the "paleo ice cream" -- looks like a great treat for post-30!! 

16054927918_75b7f12608.jpgcultured caveman

Today, I had ...

Breakfast - egg/veggie scramble (as mentioned above, unfortunately with canola oil, booo), black tea, black coffee 

Lunch - (forgot to photo) green salad with various veggies, olives, roast chicken, olive oil/vinegar

No snack! 

Dinner - CC's Brazilian pulled beef, and zoodles with marinara, fizzy water with splash of blueberry/cranberry (100%) juice

Later - peppermint tea

16056327249_28fae5feb9.jpgDay 15 - halfway there!

Successfully navigated restaurant breakfast this morning (Gravy, in N. Portland).  Ordered omelet with tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red onion, mushrooms, and avocado, with a side of fresh fruit instead of hash browns.  Asked the waiter a few questions, and learned that the eggs do not have any dairy mixed in, and they typically cook everything in soy oil.  Soy oil!?!?  But ... they could cook my omelet in olive oil if I was sensitive to or avoiding soy.  So, olive oil it was!   Brought half of it home for a late lunch.  Will post pix later.  Yay!

Breakfast adventure this morning went off without a hitch, I think ... we weren't meeting for breakfast until 10:30, and I didn't get out of bed until 8, so decided to just have a cup of bulletproof coffee to tide me over.  I'm sure it would have been better to have a mini meal, but so be it.  My one cup turned into two.  Which was fine, at the time...   We met at the restaurant at 10:30 and had to wait an hour for a table.  We were prepared for the wait (It's a trendy restaurant and there's always a wait).  We browsed some local shops while we waited.  But this means I didn't have "breakfast" until 11:30.  As I said above, I'm pretty sure everything in my meal was W30, but it is now almost 7pm, and I'm not even a little bit hungry.  I think it must be the coffees -- there's quite a bit of fat in two BPCs.

I'm going to warm up some of the Brazilian beef from last night, and try to eat that with some raw baby carrots.  I know I need to eat something more today.  But it is weird that I'm just not at all hungry.  I'm also feeling pretty tired.  Where the heck is my Tiger Blood??

So, Day 16:

Breakfast:  Two bulletproof coffees :ph34r:

Lunch:  Omelet (cooked in olive oil) with mushrooms, tomatoes, red onions, artichoke hearts, avocado, and fresh fruit.

Later:  Cup of black tea.  Plenty of water.

Dinner:  Leftover CC Brazilian beef, baby carrots. 

This photo doesn't do this omelet justice at all.  It was HUGE (I brought half home - breakfast tomorrow!), and it was beautiful.  I would have opened it up and took a pic of the inside, but my phone was dead, and my daughter refused to take more than one pic with her phone.  :huh:   The restaurant is sort of known for having omelets the size of a small football.  This wasn't quite that big, but it was really big!

UPDATE:  Yes, I ate some dinner -- it sure looks ugly in the photo, but the CC Brazilian beef is delicious:

16064937059_ce3bcf649c.jpgday 16

Uneventful day.  I slept pretty good last night, I think it was fairly solid from 11pm-6am.  I think I woke up once to pee, but fell back to sleep quickly.  So that is really pretty excellent for me, actually!   Aches and pains are significant tonight.  Ankles, back/hip, and shoulder.  :(  I'm really hoping for some improvement in that area.  I sat with ice packs tonight (rotating them amongst each of my achy bits) while my daughter and I watched the season premier of Girls.  (love that show!) 

This morning I did have a cup of bulletproof coffee, but I backed way off the amount (like by 2/3) of ghee/coconut oil I put in it.  It was still delicious, and I was hungry again by lunchtime.  The two cups I had yesterday morning kind of threw my whole day off -- too much fat totally nixed my appetite for the day. 

I made more mayo today, and with that mayo, made tartar sauce (with capers) from the Primal Blueprint Healthy Sauces Cookbook.  It. Was. Awesome.  :wub:

I also drew inspiration from Jnico and made Israeli chopped salad from this recipe

It also was delicious.  I had never used ground sumac before -- I like it.  Tons of leftovers, got my veggies lined up for a few days!

Day 17:

Breakfast - leftover omelet from yesterday, BP coffee

Lunch -  Roast beef, steamed asparagus, coconut flakes, and (compliant) fruit leather :ph34r:

Snack - while I was making mayo, and the salad, I had a handful of raspberries

Dinner - Baked salmon with tartar sauce, Israeli chopped salad. 

16259613692_927b6fd807.jpgDay 17

I was strong today. :D Went to a sports bar with my daughter to watch the first half of the Ducks game and watched her eat quesadillas and drink a couple beers while I sipped iced tea.  I had planned ahead and ate a quick compliant dinner at my office before I met her there.  Planning ahead, works every time!  I really did want a beer, but had a great time nonetheless.  We abandoned the game at halftime to go see Itzhak Perlman (the most incredible violinist), and weren't too disappointed to have missed the second half of the game when we saw the final score coming out of the theater.  (My daughter just graduated from University of Oregon). 

Day 18 -

Breakfast - sauteed spinach, fried eggs, olives, black tea

Lunch - leftover salmon/tartar sauce, asparagus, Israeli chopped salad, handful of raspberries

No snack again! 

Dinner - roast beef, avocado, Israeli chopped salad, raspberries,

After dinner - iced tea, not beer. :P

16267477581_c3510ebc11.jpgDay 18

I was up until the wee hours last night working.  I work too much...I have a regular 9-5 type law office job, but I'm also self-employed doing legal transcription at home.  Anyway, I didn't get in bed until almost 2am, and had to be up by 6:30 (but actually woke around 5:30 and tossed and turned fretting about WORK :wacko:).  I'm tired tonight, but was pretty good energy-wise throughout the day.  I still need to work about 3 hours tonight, but I"m hoping to be in bed by 10 or 10:30, and get a solid 8 hours of zzzzz. 

Day 19 - check!

Breakfast - two fried eggs, spinach sauteed in ghee (with a little nutmeg - it was goood), some raspberries, and bulletproof coffee (I needed it this morning!)

Lunch - fresh spinach, avocado, roast beef, olive oil/vinegar/dijon

Snack - cashews/dried pineapple/coconut flakes

Dinner - roast chicken, mashed sweet potatoes with ghee, steamed broccoli, splash of tart cherry juice in fizzy water

15653820444_318cfa15f9.jpgDay 19

All in all today was good, but this evening has been stressful, related to a work assignment I took on (for my "moonlighting" job), that hasn't turned out well.  Dealing with a difficult attorney on an awful project, that has tangled into a total stressful fiasco.  I've been up into the wee hours the last couple of nights, and at 10pm, I am just now managing to eat some dinner, and hope to get to bed shortly.  Boy, I would love nothing more right now to have a bottle of wine for dinner tonight.  Not "with" .. for.   *sigh*   There are better ways to cope with stress, right?  But at the moment, nothing sounds as soothing. 

Anyhow.  No wine for me.  I'm eating a simple chicken salad, and not even bothering with veggies.  I'm a rebel like that.  

Breakfast - eggs, spinach, raspberries

Lunch - Cultured Caveman food cart - meatballs (which have 70% muscle, 20% heart, 10% liver in them, if I remember correctly), and Ethiopian cabbage.  (I think it was Ethiopian?)

Snack - cashews, dried pineapple, coconut flakes

Late Dinner (10pm) - chicken salad with homemade mayo and curry powder

16098148637_5101c9c86e.jpgDay 20

How can I feel like kill all things on Day 21?  Life circumstances must sometimes trump the even-keel benefits of W30.  Wouldn't it be nice if W30 meant nothing stressful would ever happen to you?  I’m still upset about last night, partly angry with the attorney that gave me this project (who was a total ass), and frustrated with myself for not handling the whole situation better.  I’m feeling like either crying or yelling at someone this morning.  I made a strong cup of BP coffee and stopped at GZ for a veggie/egg scramble, which I immediately spilled all over the floor of my car.  (The GZ folks were nice and let me get a fresh bowl for free).  Then I walked from my garage to my office, forgetting my lunch in my car. 

Hoping my day gets better.  I really want to just go home and take a Xanax and zone out on mindless TV until I fall asleep.  Good thing I really like the people I work with at my “real job”.  I have a lot of empathy for people who have to work for difficult bosses every day.

16286612922_23bd3d6a4d_n.jpgbad morning

I was really tired and moody today.  But I don't think it has anything to do with Whole30, just one of those days.  I ended the day having dinner with a good friend, which was nice.  We almost always drink wine together when we hang out, and has a great wine collection.  He may like wine even more than me!  But he knew I wasn't drinking, so decided not to open a bottle (even though I insisted it would be totally fine).  He did open a fancy bottle of beer he got for Christmas and had a couple glasses of that, but we were eating crab for dinner, can you blame him? 

It's 8:15 pm, and I'm home now with a full stomach.  I. Will. Not. Work. Tonight.  After I post this blog, I'm going to take a bath (unheard of for me), and maybe do a facial mask, put on my favorite pajamas, and go to bed absurdly early with my book.  Tomorrow is Friday, and then I have a three day weekend.  I will work a lot this weekend, but it will be a low pressure project, and the type of transcription work I actually enjoy (often more interesting than anything on TV).  Looking forward to a new day tomorrow with an abundance of energy and a sense of peace. 

Day 21 eats:

Breakfast: egg/veggie scramble, BP coffee

Lunch: big green salad with lots of veggies, roast beef, kalameta olives, olive oil/vinegar/dijon dressing

Snack:  cashews/dried pineapple/coconut flakes, black tea

Snack 2: Ruby red grapefruit (supremed)

Dinner:  super fresh Dungeness local crab (omg yum), dipped in ghee/garlic*, asparagus, LaCroix (x2 - grapefruit and coconut flavors)

*My friend invited me over for crab dinner, so I brought along some ghee of my own so I'd have "butter" for dipping. 

16103197858_94957a5af1.jpg21

Slept great last night - I was sooo tired, and then the hot bath (with eucalyptus bath salt) right before bed was great.  I'm feeilng much bettert today :)  And --- three hours at the office until a 3-day weekend!   Wahoo!  I might just take another bath tonight ... I probably only take one or two baths a year, I'm definitely more of a shower person.  But it was really nice, I think I'll treat myself more often!

Archived