Dill Pickles

SmithDynasty

• Moderators

I've found 3 varieties out of 20 that I have examined in grocery stores that were Whole30-compliant. Most include sugar or sulphites or some other off-plan ingredient. My favorite dill pickles are those made by Bubbies that are sold from the refrigerated section of stores. 

Pickles are SO EASY to make yourself. 

Take a clean jar (I use an old olive jar from costco, it's like 60 ounces or something, pretty large) and put about a teaspoon to a tablespoon each (depending on how big of a jar you have and how many pickles you want to make) of whole peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, and dill seeds if you can find them, and a few sprigs of fresh dill leaves in the bottom of the jar. In a large saucepan, bring two cups of water and 1 cup of vinegar to a boil. Add 5 cloves garlic, and 1 tablespoon sea salt and dissolve. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, fill your jar with cucumbers. They can be any kind of cucumber, just cut them in whatever shape you like and stuff them in the jar. Pack them as tightly as you can. Then pour your brine over the cucumbers, making sure the garlic makes it into the jar. Make sure the cucumbers are covered with brine, let it cool, then close up the jar and pop it in the fridge. Let them sit for at least a couple hours, but they get better the longer they sit, and can last months in the fridge.

Oh, that recipe is just refrigerator pickles, NOT fermented pickles. Fermented pickles do not have vinegar, the bacteria create lactic acid as they break down the sugars in the cucumber/other veggies to make them tangy. Fermented pickles are also left out at room temp for a while to ferment before being put in the fridge.

My mom gave me a jar of homemade pickles that was going to have with tuna lettuce wraps. I thought that because they were made on a farm with fresh produce they would be ok. I asked my mom what she used and the pickling stuff she used has maltodextrine!!!! So very sad as these are so garlicky tasty......

Archived