Day 15 - Running still awful

kcwoodhead

I can't say how happy I am to have found this thread and realize I'm not alone. I finished my first Half Marathon about 3 weeks ago and felt great throughout the whole race. I was eating mostly paleo but allowed myself some "bad" carbs the weekend of the race and also tried Gu for the first time and attributed my extra energy to the added sugar.

I'm on day 3 of the W30 and went out for an 8 mile run today (I'm planning to do another Half in about 3 weeks) and hit a wall before mile 3. Had to run/walk from there on out which is not normal for me at all. I do Crossfit about 4 times a week too so I'm just hoping I won't lose my endurance since I'm still working my muscles. It's such a strange feeling to fatigue like that. I almost want to eat a spoonful of coconut butter right now in case it might help, lol.

krisbee911, you are not alone - my running is terrible - heavy legs, can't run as far or as fast, and since I am slow to begin with, this is very bad. I am on Day 10 - I have a half marathon to run on Saturday and I am worried. Though I may not have to worry about it if my knee doesn't get better - it went out on Monday, so I may not be running the race on Saturday.

I have been eating a sweet potato every day, lots of veggies but haven't noticed any improvements in my running, only problems.

Thought I'd chime in as a prety serious endurance athlete. This is my first Whole30 and I'm only on day 4 but since I've tried to do similar things before, like cleanses, I decided to set myself up for success by starting the Whole30 on my off-season so I can simply focus on my eating. Granted I am still going for runs/rides, doing yoga and lifting but just for fun and I will cut it short or slow down if I need too. If eating this way is a drastic change I think it may be too much of a shock to the system to be training for something and eating strictly.

I do feel I can sustain this way of life (because I am feeling incredible) when I start training again but I want to give some time to see what my body does and how it reacts first. Just my 2 cents:)

I'm on day 45 of a planned Whole75, and I have given up on my half-marathon training. I don't know if Whole30 is part of the problem, but I am running at a good 2 minutes per mile slower than last year, and I find that frustrating. My heart rate is much higher than I would expect for running at that slow pace, too, at least according to my Garmin HRM. But all of that would be worth working through if my heart were still in it. For whatever reason, it's not.

In your case, the commitment is clearly there, so I think that will help carry you through with experimenting with paleo or a more mediterranean style diet, or wherever you end up.

From what I have read, I think that endurance athletes are well served in taking many months in transitioning their diets, so perhaps another time, you might consider trying again, but much longer in advance of a race. But in any case, good luck with your race!

For my distance runs I ALWAYS consume sweet potatoes and eggs for breakfast (fried up in bacon fat) and BANANAS throughout! Bananas, dates and coconut butter are my all time favorite running foods!

I know this is not what anyone wants to read, but I won't beat around the bush, as a distance runner, I always include "GU Roctane" gels on my long runs (over 21km) on Sundays and during races. I consume 3-4 along with water throughout a marathon. I don't have any allergies, ibs, etc, and I simply feel better when I run with the quick sugar/carbs. I don't have a desire to remove them from my running protocol either as I love where I'm at as a runner and am only improving (this year will be my third Boston!)

• 3 weeks later...

All of this has me feeling so anxious! Is there anyone out there who didn't crash for the full 30 days?

I finished my third Half Marathon on the 21st, and started Whole30 on the 23rd. Sure, I'm not training, but I DO want to go for day hikes, bike rides, and the occasional long run. What's tough for me is that my usual pre-workout breakfast was a smoothie made with almond milk one small banana, a cup of spinach, and 1/2 cup blackberries, plus 1-2 tbsp. chia seeds. This set me up for sugar cravings all day, but boy did I have energy for those long runs!

Now, exercising with just a couple boiled eggs in my stomach does not feel good (yet?) at all. I feel more exhausted today from a 30-minute aerobics DVD than I felt after my race on Sunday. I know I'm in the early stages of Whole 30, so feeling sluggish is normal, but I want to be able to work out again -- I don't feel my best when I don't get a butt-kickin' workout done in the morning.

I'm willing to tough this out for 30 days. Even though I ate under 100 grams of carbs before my Whole30, I relied on a lot of Splenda and morning smoothies, and those did not help my sugar addiction or my screwed up relationship with food. The sugar addiction must go! But how do I get my muscles to agree with my brain, and find the energy to exercise HARD?

Archived