Starting January 2nd

pechristie

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting today as well!!! Really excited for this. Everyone that I tell is shocked and instantly expects failure, but it's not like I'm restricting calories or anything... Just certain kinds of foods. I am excited to see how I feel during and after this, because I often feel sluggish and exhausted. I exercise regularly and try to get at least 7 hours of sleep, so I shouldn't feel as exhausted as I do. I'm fairly certain its from food, but not sure what food it would be from. Really hoping this helps and looking forward to it!!

Good morning! My husband and I start today. This will be his first time, and my third attempt ( I completed one and quit one early last year). I did a boatload of food prep yesterday, and I'm really looking forward to getting back on track health wise. I'm considering extending. To a Whole45 or even a Whole60 depending on how I feel. Best of luck to everyone!

Would love to hear what kind of prep you did....it's hepful for us newbies!

Hi team! This is my first whole 30, and i'm woefully underprepared. I just got back into town, and I'm absolutely committed, but havent gone to the store with the whole30 in mind. That said, this morning has been a success so far with poached eggs, black coffee, green tea, and clementines- lots of clementines. 
I'll be heading to the grocery this afternoon for a lot more green stuff and fish and meats, so that I can plan for the next few weeks instead of eating what's convenient out of the fridge. 

Cheers! (with my sparkling water!)

• Administrators

Hi Paula and everyone! Good for you for doing the Whole30!

If the group don't mind, I'd like to join you, I am re-starting tomorrow. I started today until I realized the Balsamic Vinegar I used on my Stir-fry vegetable had Sulfite!!!

Hi Sheila,

Check that balsamic again. Sulfites are naturally occurring in balsamic vinegar so if the label said somewhere on it "Contains Sulphites" or "Contains Naturally Occurring Sulfites" then you are fine. If the Sulfites were in the actual ingredient list then you are right to start over.

• Administrators

Hi Amaranthe,

. Will have some fruit a little later when I know my sugar cravings are going to hit.

The general recommendation when trying to slay a sugar dragon is to not prop him up or feed him at all when he cries. That means that when you get a sugar craving, if you can't do something else besides eating until it passes (wipe the kitchen down, dust, play with the dog etc), the recommendation is to have a mini meal including protein and fat. Giving the craving what it wants in the form of sweet fruit is delaying the death of the dragon. We also recommend that fruit not be eaten alone, include it with a regular meal and try to limit to 1-2 servings a day.

As a side note, where do you live that you are getting fresh peaches and plums at this time of year? (I ask as I scrape snow and frost from my car before going out). :)

Well here we are on Jan 2nd, day one of my whole 30. I did some prep yesterday and will be going shopping today. I get paid once a month and live on a tight budget, but will concentrate on making sure i have the basics, protein and vegies. Being prepared is necessary for me. I have been on vacation since Christmas day, so hoping a few days headstart will be good. I will post my log tonight.

Welcome to Day 1! It's a little after noon here in So Cal. Breakfast was 2 pastured eggs and a hash of 2 slices sweet P cubed, diced onion, 2 slices bacon cut into pieces, and a scoop of horseradish leek kraut. I fried it all up in Ghee, popped my eggs on top and DEVOURED. I'm not sure what will be for lunch, not hungry yet.

I did have an interesting reaction to the kraut. :wacko:

How is everyone doing today?

Hi all!

Add me to the list of folks doing Day 1 on Day 2 (of 2015).  This is my first Whole 30, and I'm actually looking forward to it!  I do have to say, though... I've spent a long time decentering meat in my overall diet -- though I'm not a vegetarian; I just made meat a "sometimes" food for ecological and health reasons --  and I feel a little daunted by the prospect of eating it 3x/day now!  But I'm willing to give it a try.

Hope everyone had a great first day!

hi ladyshanny,

Thanks for that. I ended up having some water with lemon and kept the fruit for breakfast this morning.

LOL Im in Australia so summer fruit is happening....which is my favourite fruit! I actually need to be careful or I would eat way too much of it.

Actually I have some mangoes that are getting almost past their use by, I was going to whiz them up with coconut milk and freeze them for when its way too damn hot here and I need something to cool down with. Cant find any details as to whether this pushes the "ice cream' boundaries?? anyone know?

Am

I started yesterday also. I don't have a support system locally and would love to find a buddy on this forum to partner with for support and mutual encouragement. If you find yourself trying to do this without anyone physically close by for support, and are interested in teaming up, let me know.

Would love to hear what kind of prep you did....it's hepful for us newbies!

For food prep, I made a fritatta with chicken apple sausage, red pepper, spinach, and a dozen eggs. This is enough for us for three mornings. Roasted a medley of potatoes, parsnips, and rutabaga in grassfed beef tallow to accompany the frittata. I made a batch of chicken stock in my pressure cooker from a frozen carcass and vegetable scraps that I always have in my freezer. Once that was done I used the pressure cooker to braise some collard greens with sugar free bacon, shallots, red pepper flakes, chicken stock, and ACV. Lastly, I smoked a bunch of chicken wings with a sugar free spice rub, and tossed them in a mixture of compliant hot sauce, coconut aminos, and ghee.

Today and tomorrow I plan on more prep for the week to come to include: a batch of mayo, baba ganoush, roasting two whole chickens, tahini or balsamic dressing, and cutting up and portioning out fresh vegetables.

Hope that helps :-)

For food prep, I made a fritatta with chicken apple sausage, red pepper, spinach, and a dozen eggs. This is enough for us for three mornings. Roasted a medley of potatoes, parsnips, and rutabaga in grassfed beef tallow to accompany the frittata. I made a batch of chicken stock in my pressure cooker from a frozen carcass and vegetable scraps that I always have in my freezer. Once that was done I used the pressure cooker to braise some collard greens with sugar free bacon, shallots, red pepper flakes, chicken stock, and ACV. Lastly, I smoked a bunch of chicken wings with a sugar free spice rub, and tossed them in a mixture of compliant hot sauce, coconut aminos, and ghee.

Today and tomorrow I plan on more prep for the week to come to include: a batch of mayo, baba ganoush, roasting two whole chickens, tahini or balsamic dressing, and cutting up and portioning out fresh vegetables.

Hope that helps :-)

This all sounds delish! Mind sharing the chicken wing recipe? I dont have a smoker so might be out of luck...

• Administrators

Hey Amaranthe, I think you probably answered your own question on the "too close to ice cream" thing. Among the other questions you can ask yourself, one that is handy is to figure out if what you are about to eat is "template" (protein, veg, fat). The mango sherbet that you were going to make is probably too close to "banana soft serve" and other ice cream substitutes...but it also doesn't come anywhere close to the recommended template. ;)

I started yesterday also. I don't have a support system locally and would love to find a buddy on this forum to partner with for support and mutual encouragement. If you find yourself trying to do this without anyone physically close by for support, and are interested in teaming up, let me know.

Blaklily,

I started my first Whole30 on January 2nd as well.  My hubby is supportive, but not doing the challenge himself.  I'd love to team up if you are still looking for someone!

So far, I've done several things from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed books (and/or website): the mayo (need to make a new batch today!), Waldorf Tuna Salad, Chocolate Chili, and Italian Pot Roast is simmering in the crock pot now.  I made some deviled eggs as well.  I'm going to attempt some homemade breakfast sausage.

Tomorrow is the first day for my family to all be back to a normal routine - work for me and the hubby, school for three kids.  I've bought lots of fresh meat, vegetables and fruit, and am cautiously hopeful (and a little nervous) about how the Whole30 will go this week!  I'm determined, though.

How have things gone for you?  Any challenges?  What have you been eating?

BTW - I am new to forums.  Is there a better way to communicate when teaming up?

Mjhappyhealthy

Hi there! I've been preparing myself since the beginning of December to begin the Whole 30 challenge. I knew I couldn't get through Christmas without snacking on apps and desserts so as of January 2nd I fully committed myself. Preparation and having pre-made ingredients are key. The evenings have been difficult for me, that is usually when I've snacked on cheese and crackers. It really is a fight within to combat your own food demons. I'm looking forward to this month where I can teach myself how to make better choices and to enjoy foods in their natural state instead of smothering it with cheese or dousing it with sugar.

Day three everyone! I dont know about you but I am sleeping like a ROCK and I love it. Im keeping a log of my food on the other forum but overall its going pretty well. I did come home last night and snack on some nuts and coconut chips when I wasnt truly hungry so this is something I want to work on but its still a a huge improvement from eating chocolate and cheese washed down with 3-4 glasses of wine! I was also definitely in a KILL ALL THINGS mood yesterday so hoping I will see the end of that phase soon.

This is my second WHole 30 and during hte first one I was kinda obsessed about time passing. I guess I was nervous that I couldnt do it and felt the need to count the days, etc. all the time Now I have one under my belt so I feel so much more confident and not nearly as obsessed with the day number. Im considering going longer too but will decide once I am close to 30 days. Have a great day everyone! 

I was also definitely in a KILL ALL THINGS mood yesterday so hoping I will see the end of that phase soon.

Omigosh! I was definitely in that mood yesterday!! I was all mad about the Christmas tree not being taken down already and then I was mad at all the pine needles and then mad at the vacuum cleaner being ineffective - LOL! Today was my husband's turn to be crabby. Hopefully this phase pass soon before we kill each other!

Day 3 for me and the hubs. I am finding it difficult to differentiate between true hunger or cravings. I am so use to snacking all the time that it's tough not to do so. I guess I got to apply the broiled fish and broccoli test to see if I am truly hungry every time I am tempted to snack on something even if it's Whole30 friendly.

Going back to regular routine tomorrow after the holidays. I am think that will actually help as I will be too busy with work and shuttling around kids to think about food too much.

Archived