Starting January 2nd

pechristie

Welcome pechristy.

I wish you much success and good health. I too am blessed by God. My niece told me about the Peleo way when I asked her how she was losing all her weight. She Gave birth two her second child last year and still carried the baby fat. In 3 months she and her husband look great.

I'm old. 51 and the pounds just started creeping on. So I hope to loose inches to fit into my snow pants in two weeks.

It was nice reading your post.

Julie D the

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It is a lot of work buying and then prepping all the veggies, but it is finished. I started January 2,2015.

on day two January 4th I felt weird. Light headed and couldn't make it to church. My son brought me a banana and more water. I could only eat half, slept then ate the rest at noon.

I prepared fresh from my chicken eggs with veggies, salt and pepper. While eating my throat felt real wierd, like an allergic reaction. So I have it to my son he ate the rest. I finished half the grapefruit with blackberry s. No problem. I at nuts I turned into trail mix. No problem.

for dinner I reheated leftover Ahi and my throat stated closing up and hurting again. The common denominator is fresh cracked black pepper.

I then ate an advocado. No problem.

Has anyone had a similar reaction while staying this diet?

Wow. It is a lot of work buying and then prepping all the veggies, but it is finished. I started January 2,2015.

on day two January 4th I felt weird. Light headed and couldn't make it to church. My son brought me a banana and more water. I could only eat half, slept then ate the rest at noon.

I prepared fresh from my chicken eggs with veggies, salt and pepper. While eating my throat felt real wierd, like an allergic reaction. So I have it to my son he ate the rest. I finished half the grapefruit with blackberry s. No problem. I at nuts I turned into trail mix. No problem.

for dinner I reheated leftover Ahi and my throat stated closing up and hurting again. The common denominator is fresh cracked black pepper.

I then ate an advocado. No problem.

Has anyone had a similar reaction while staying this diet?

Your throat closing up is not a typical W30 reaction. I'm thinking you're allergic to something you've introduced.

• Administrators

Hi Photobyjulied, feeling lightheaded could be caused from not consuming enough at your previous meals (and often you can't really just make up for a missed one at the next one, it's a compounding effect).

I would suggest that you post a few days of your meals in the Troubleshooting section of the forum so that folks here can take a look and let you know how you might tweak it to start feeling better.

You can also read the timeline: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ so you know approximately what to expect at certain stages of the Whole30.

As far as the black pepper goes, have you had this reaction before?

When having a snack, try to go for protein and fat rather than just fruit alone. Fruit by itself will slow the eventual regulation of your hormones.

I am a bit late to follow the forum, but I also started on January 2. Its the evening of the 5th here in Australia, so I consider myself done and dusted with 4 days under my belt. I have been Paleo for about 3 years, but a medical issue saw my cortisol levels surge with ensuing weight gain of 15 kilos over the last year. Dabbled around with LCHF and lost 5 kgs but not much else happening. Decided to give W30 a go with the definite commitment to seeing what happened when I cut out dairy - my Kryponite! 

Given that my diet is pretty good, I had deluded myself into thinking that I would sail through the first few days. Surprise, surprise, I was somewhat crabby last night and craving cheese!!!! And seriously hungry. Not craving, but downright hungry.

Much better today. So its a case of "Onwards!". Looking forward to keeping one foot in front of the other and getting through one day at a time. 

I am just TIRED! and still a bit KILL ALL THINGS lol. Went to bed very early and slept late for me (6 AM)...Here's to Monday, back to my routine which will help I think. Yesterday I snacked too much (that's two days in a row of snacking too much!) and ate seconds at dinner when I was not still hungry but baby steps, we are doing the whole30, trying to focus more on my hunger as I know that is the only way that I will see the scale budge. My first Whole30 I will admit that I overate a LOT and as a result did not see much of a shift on the scale. This time around I am hoping for something more especially as I had packed on EIGHT pounds over the last 5 weeks...would love to get back to my post Whole30 weight and maybe even a couple under...I know its not just about weight loss and also excited to just feel better but fitting back into my clothes will be a big plus ;)

melanieamcleod, I hear you! I'm so groggy! Today my head hurts a bit and I feel like I need at nap at 10 AM! 

The snacking is hard. I'm trying to do what was suggested in the Whole30 Daily email I got today though, and picture a steamed fish with broccli. If that doesn't sound like something I could eat then it must be cravings or boredom. 

Good luck!

Day 4 and my "kill all the things" feeling seems to have passed. Yesterday was brutal though. Woke up very nauseous, and then transitioned to cranky. My husband was also very cranky, which wasn't pleasant. I did a ton of food prep and cooking though, so I should be able to step away from the kitchen for a few days.

Woke up this morning feeling rested and even managed to start my C25k program today. All in all, it looks like this will be a great W30 for me!

Day 4, slept well, no headache when waking, got up before the alarm went off.

I realize i need to pre-cook more meat selections. Eating leftovers is fine but tedious...if I am going to eat well I need more options. I hope to get off island this week to go get grass fed proteins and hopefully find pasture bacon with no sugar!  

This am I have the left over Turkey meatloaf Yam hash with kale and put 2 fried pasture eggs (in clarified pasture butter) with a handful of strawberries.

Lunch is free range organic chicken, organic acorn baked squash, and 1/3 apple.

dinner....oh I hope it's fish...lol

Each day my head is clearer, I am calmer, I feel more grounded, and dare I say optimistic?

Like JugglingAcademic     One day at a time.

melanieamcleod, I hear you! I'm so groggy! Today my head hurts a bit and I feel like I need at nap at 10 AM! 

The snacking is hard. I'm trying to do what was suggested in the Whole30 Daily email I got today though, and picture a steamed fish with broccli. If that doesn't sound like something I could eat then it must be cravings or boredom. 

Good luck!

Did you sign up for the paid emails? Are you finding them helpful? Ive heard that analogy before...its the implementation that gets me! 

Also struggling a bit with eating enough at breakfast/to fuel me through workouts.

This AM: 

7 AM Ground turkey--2 handfuls, some tomatoes, broccoli and carrots with some tessamaes

Hungry again at 11:30 which is good I guess but have a workout in half hour so worried I will be heavy:)

WE will figure this out. I am also feeling TIRED but sipping my green tea:)

Did you sign up for the paid emails? Are you finding them helpful? Ive heard that analogy before...its the implementation that gets me! 

Also struggling a bit with eating enough at breakfast/to fuel me through workouts.

This AM: 

7 AM Ground turkey--2 handfuls, some tomatoes, broccoli and carrots with some tessamaes

Hungry again at 11:30 which is good I guess but have a workout in half hour so worried I will be heavy:)

WE will figure this out. I am also feeling TIRED but sipping my green tea:)

I did sign up for them! I thought some daily encouragement couldn't hurt, and it was really great yesterday when I was feeling off, the daily email assured me it was normal.  

Maybe add a little more protien for breakfast? make the ground beef into an egg dish of some kind? I find a quick snack before a workout (I used to have some cheese and an apple...) helps power me through it.  

I'm on day 4 and doing well! I was SUPER cranky day 2, but that was about the extent of it. Im back to work after 2 weeks off, so I'll need to start prepping more so that my meals are ready to go for breakfast and lunch. Dinner tonight will be a bison roast that's marinating at home, and probably brocolli and roasted brussels.

Oooo. Brussel sprouts sound so good but after doing 2 prior whole 30s I have found that they are a food my body can not tolerate. Two others that I have found are avacados and pineapple. This really bums me out. I dislike that my body rejects "good for you" food. On a happier note, so far so good! Just made a great chicken, mushroom cauliflower and carrot curry. Yum

Hello all, started my first Whole30 on the 2nd with my husband and two sisters. Today I feel pretty good but needed a couple naps already. I really miss my Zipfizz. Tonight my cute mother-in-law is having the family over for dinner and she said it would be Whole30 compliant which of course is super sweet and supportive of her. Well I stopped by during the day and saw that she was making a chicken dish and a sweet potato dish, both using butter. So now i trying to figure out ways to look like I'm eating without actually eating. Any other "diet" I've ever done I would say screw it and eat but I really don't want to start over even though it's only been 4 days! But also I don't want to be a jerk to my MIL after she made such a cute effort. 

Thank you ladyshanny,

I think it was the pepper that I had a reaction to. I actually ate grilled chicken, steamed spinach withlemon juice and nutmeg, yam and sweet potatoe chips tonight.

I've taken photos of my food. Is there a way to post it? I list every thing in my android SHealth. So don't want to list it again.

Thank you for your encouragement.

I bought THE PALEO APPROACH COOKBOOK @ Costco today. Is this good for the first W30 start month?

Sincerely,

• Administrators

Thank you ladyshanny,

I think it was the pepper that I had a reaction to. I actually ate grilled chicken, steamed spinach withlemon juice and nutmeg, yam and sweet potatoe chips tonight.

I've taken photos of my food. Is there a way to post it? I list every thing in my android SHealth. So don't want to list it again.

Thank you for your encouragement.

I bought THE PALEO APPROACH COOKBOOK @ Costco today. Is this good for the first W30 start month?

Sincerely,

You can definitely create a log in the "My Whole30 Log" section of the forum (about 2/3 of the way down the forum home page). Lots of people also use their Instagram account and then just link to it in the bottom of their forum signature (where you have "Photo By Julie D").

As far as the cookbook, I haven't seen it but Sarah Ballantyne is well respected! Just be sure to read the recipes through first and sub out any non compliant ingredients (things I can think might show up there could be butter and other dairy, sweeteners such as honey and of course "baked goods" which aren't allowed even if all the ingredients are compliant.

Enjoy your book!

@JugglingAcademic Nice to see a fellow Aussie here. It feels a little odd complaining about the heat when others are dealing with the cold! lol

Day 5 done and dusted for me and I am cruising really well. Not sure if lethargic due to the heat or W30, possibly a mix of both. Havent hit the kill all things yet but I am lucky that I am on holidays and only have the kids around most of the day LOL I did have a moment of feeling utterly craptacular yesterday when I headed out to get more goodies to cook with. Again possibly the heat. Was not fun yesterday!

One thing I do need to do is start exercising! Ive been basically sedentary since I started at a new workplace last year. Was a complete change and took it out of me. I went home exhausted each day and just let the exercise go. But I am on holidays until the end of Jan and its a great time to set new habits with exercise as well or at least reinstall old habits. I have some goals this year of starting yoga and crossfit. I emailed about the yoga today.....crossfit scares the life out of me but looks so amazing!

How is everyone else going? positive? negatives?

Hello all, started my first Whole30 on the 2nd with my husband and two sisters. Today I feel pretty good but needed a couple naps already. I really miss my Zipfizz. Tonight my cute mother-in-law is having the family over for dinner and she said it would be Whole30 compliant which of course is super sweet and supportive of her. Well I stopped by during the day and saw that she was making a chicken dish and a sweet potato dish, both using butter. So now i trying to figure out ways to look like I'm eating without actually eating. Any other "diet" I've ever done I would say screw it and eat but I really don't want to start over even though it's only been 4 days! But also I don't want to be a jerk to my MIL after she made such a cute effort. 

Good morning! How did the dinner go last night?

So far so good. Except this morning at 5:30am .... worst outer calf cramp OF MY LIFE. SERIOUSLY ... OF MY LIFE!! It took about 15 minutes to let loose, and I could barely walk. I have never experienced a cramp that made me cry. WTH?? I need a salt lick at my desk today. I was going to bring bonebroth to work with me and guess where it is? In the fridge. This is day 5 for me. I think I must be in kill all the things mode. I'm not sure what that means, but I need a good boxing class. NOW!!  :)

Have a great day everyone!

Dawn

@JugglingAcademic Nice to see a fellow Aussie here. It feels a little odd complaining about the heat when others are dealing with the cold! lol

Sorry to hear it is so hot there...unseasonably warm in the Pacific Northwest at 54 but I bet that might work for you lol!

Day 5 and I am a bit sleepy and my internal heater is on auto mode so when food goes in my internal heat goes up...lol

I have not hit the 'wanna kill something' yet...

Hope you get a respit from the heat!

Day 5 and I'm sleepy too! I've not wanted to kill anyone/anything, and I haven't had the headaches- just craving butter and white wine, and needing extra sleep.

I had a medium-size dinner of compliant italian sausage, avocado mashed with a little salsa, and sauteed kale and cruciferous crunch- I've been sitting on the couch for an hour trying to discern whether I'm still hungry, or if it's just cravings. If I do decide to eat more, I have avocado, coconut milk, fruit, and sausage bites all ready to go and easy to munch on for a little, but I dont want to eat too close to bedtime and screw up my routine. 

Day 5 for us has been good. We have had some of the detox signs but not much...I think we have gotten through the slight crabbiness too!  

Tonight we had a cauliflower fried rice (no rice) recipe that I added some leftover cooked chicken breast too and it was good!!

I've actually found that I like black coffee!

I've been keeping a log in my phone of what we have been eating so that when I start feeling like I don't know what to make I can look back at what we ate at the beginning.

Hope everyone else is sticking with it!! Love the support on here...it's great to hear how everyone else is doing.

On to Day 6!!

Yippee to another day. I am not feeling great though... Tired, dizzy and just off. Kind of feels like the very beginning of a sickness. I hope it's just the sugar escaping my body and causing a ruckus on the way out. I added a vitamin d pill cause my level was at 28. Would/could that be the cause of this?? I just pray it's not shingles creeping back in. I have had 5 bouts since August and 2 prior to that. Fingers crossed! Here's to a good night of sleep!

Archived