Starting January 2nd

pechristie

Hi Everyone, today is day 6! I woke up feeling pretty good this morning, I packed more food today to take to work than yesterday. I was hungry and weak feeling yesterday afternoon, so something tells me my lunch didn't give me enough of what I needed. I packed turkey breast, olives and an avocado today. I think adding some fats will help that end of day hunger. 

I went out for sushi last night for supper. I ordered sashimi and enjoyed it with lemon juice and a side of julienned veggies! It was a great treat! 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 6! Had a horrible night of sleep (due to a teething one year old nursing constantly) so I'm definitely dragging today. Doesn't help that I'm also a little stuffy/sinusy as well. Today has been uninspired as far as food goes, but that's okay. One of my favorite parts of the W30 is that we waste so much less. Breakfast was a fritatta of compliant sausage, collards, onions, and red peppers with half of a banana (I share my banana with my daughter every morning). Lunch was a medley of leftovers: shredded chicken, green beans with ghee, yellow pepper strips with baba ganoush, and half of an avocado. Tonight I'm making paleo-fied Italian wedding soup. I'm hoping a big dose of bone broth and greens will kill whatever crud is lingering in my sinuses.

In good news, my skin is already looking much clearer and glowy. I seem to be losing some water weight as well. Yay!

Good morning all! Day 6 here we gooooo… I’m sleepier today than I have been all week. But my energy level is good and my skin is glowing, eyes are clear. WOOT!!

I am a big sushi fan, Glam, but my husband not so much. I need to head out with the girls LOL! I agree on adding more fat. It def helps you stay fuller, longer.

PaleoMama: I agree, I’m happy that there is much less waste with a Whole30. I’m good at using up leftovers, but they go much faster when I’m bringing lunch every day!

I tossed a big batch of bone broth together in the crockpot last night. It smelled SO GOOD this morning. My friend is battling diverticulitis so I made a huge batch in order to deliver some to her.

Break’s OVER … back to work. Make it a good day, all  :D

Dawn

Hi all,

Just checking my forums for my daily dose of support! Yes, Day 6. I skipped my workout this morning. I felt I needed a rest day and thought it might also help with my energy (I sometimes struggle wiht taking needed breaks). Headed out with a friend tonight to a mexican place (kinda fancy though so no typical salad options) but I have looked at the menu and think I have it figured out...ceviche and a salad. 

I'm finding the second time around MUCH easier this time...I KNOW I can do it so not spending all that energy there which frees me up to focus on hunger and getting more creative with my meals! YAY! 

I seem to have jumped ahead on the timeline a bit. Dreams that you're eating off plan aren't supposed to arrived until day 12, but I had one last night - and I did in fact wake up feel guilty! And the funny thing is that is the only thing in the timeline that I thought, "Oh, that won't happen to me." But I was SO GLAD when I woke up and realized I hadn't eaten that cupcake!

In other news, I managed to completely skip the headache in the earlier days. Not sure how, because I did have one last time, but I am so thankful! W30 is going fairly smoothly for me so far, but I absolutely owe it to my husband. He is a SAHD and, even though he isn't following W30 himself, he is making all my food on weekdays. I am very lucky.

Best wishes to all of you on day 7!

Oh elisabeth I had a off plan dream too. Day 7?  here... I woke up dreaming I was about to have a beer with my friends. Had the same relief knowing I didn't lol. 

And yes you are very lucky to have a man cook for you...very blessed to have such support.

My sleep has improved, head is more clear, calmer and looking forward to dinner out on Friday. I already called ahead to see what would be compliant. 

cheers

Bridgid

I have left it until now to update - its officially the beginning of day 8 for me, so a quick wrap up..

Day 1-3 was fairly innocuous, and no really big deal other than cutting the emotional umbilical cord with dairy.

Day 4 I woke to a headache that was making my eyes water, but I didn't connect the dots until a fellow Facebooker mentioned her headache...I am at the end of literally a week from hell at work, so assumed that was my source (D'Oh!)

Day 5 - head ache gone but a few sweet cravings...nothing specific, just sweet in general.

Day 6 and 7 were absolutely exhausting,....I mean, the sort of exhaustion I have not felt since early pregnancy 15 years ago...bone weary exhaustion!!! Deep sleep, although broken, and feeling like I have been hit by a truck when I get up in the morning.

Decided to forgo all my usual HIIT this week - just knew I was not up to it and clearly my body was under siege enough as it was.

The fascinating part about all this, is that I have been hybrid Paleo LCHF for the last 6 months, and Paleo for the last 3 years. Just removing the dairy (my Kryponite) and the hidden sugars in mayo, mustard and the like is simply astounding.

Now that the week is done, I feel much better within myself to keep going. My biggest challenge as I knew it would be, is to alter the relationship I have with the food itself and my monitoring behaviours, scales, tape measures, counting carbs. I put my scales away at the beginning and that sort of worked...for three days. Then I took the battery out of them. Funnily enough, I tried to put the battery back in yesterday (just one little weigh, I feel lighter I said to myself....), only to find that I have upset its circuits somehow and it seems dead....there is a God of Whole30 I reckon, because that is quite simply my saving grace!!! LOL. I will not buy a new battery until after the W30 end date. 

And the bizarre part is, I find that so liberating. I can now simply focus on eating good food and let the rest take care of itself. Will restart the exercise next week.

I think I missed the Kill All the Things on days I was supposed to get on days 4 and 5, and it hit me this morning. Rough morning in my house lol 

I'm  happy with how soundly I seem to be sleeping now. I'm not waking up during the night. 

I had a high protien breakfast this morning with compliant sausage and eggs, and a bowl of leftover chicken soup I made. I made some beef ribs in my slow cooker this morning so I'm looking forward to going home to a house that smells great and a meal thats all ready to go! 

Does anyone have any ideas for snacks that are not fruit, dried fruit or nuts? My go to snacks lately seem to be apples and bananas and we aren't supposed to have fruit by itself. Help!

Does anyone have any ideas for snacks that are not fruit, dried fruit or nuts? My go to snacks lately seem to be apples and bananas and we aren't supposed to have fruit by itself. Help!

First off, the need for snacks can be an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough. Play with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Until you get there, if you're hungry between meals, the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source.

Possible examples:

- chicken, tuna, salmon or egg salad made with compliant mayo with a baked sweet potato

- hard boiled egg with sliced peppers

- compliant prosciutto with cucumber and olives

- sardines, sauerkraut, and sliced avocado

- smoked salmon, wilted spinach with dressing and/or walnuts

I was ravenously hungry today - steamed fish and broccoli hungry - which is a first for me since I started W30. I'm not sure if it is just another step in the gut-healing, etc, process or if it was because I started my cycle today. In any event, I actually had to leave work around 2pm to go source acceptable food!

I've also been sleepy earlier in the evening than usual since day 1. It's not even 8pm and I really want to crawl in bed. My energy during the day has been fairly steady, though.

I am soooo tired today. Holy cow. 8:30 and I'm ready to pass out! But! I have noticed that I don't crash at work around 2:30 or 3:00, so that's nice! I also feel a heck of a lot more alert, but just overall exhausted in the evenings by around 8:00. 

I ate plenty last night - ground pork, browned and mixed with finely chopped onion, kale, red bell, ginger, garlic, lemon, salt&pepper. It rocked. I also made a beef stew the day before with sweet potato, winter squash, potato, carrot, onion, and a custom blend of spices. Both were very good and satisfying.

This morning I'd planned to run, but ended up skipping it because I'm reeeaaally tired. I wasn't hungry this morning, but I ate anyway; 3 eggs scrambled with red bell, kale, and onion. 2 slices bacon. I packed leftover beef stew, a banana, and some sunflower seeds I roast at home.

Monday morning I ran 8 miles before work, and then felt like a dead rag doll at work. I took two days off and ran another 8 yesterday. I was slow, but felt fine. However I normally do 25 pushups after my run, but yesterday I could only do 10 so my body is clearly struggling to get the energy needed for strength. I'm sure that will come with time. I have a half marathon comin up on the 18th (day 17) and I'm hoping my body will be better able to use the carbs I'll be using. I plan to carry dates with me for energy at the race.

I awoke this morning, not with dreams of cheating, but with dreams of frustration over not being able to eat what I want. I already eat fairly well, and I cut out cream and sugar in my coffee a month ago. I noticed last night that the way I feel is similar to the withdrawls I felt when I quit drinking alcohol over three years ago. I got over that, so I can get over this. With alcohol, 30 days is a big number. Things get easier and more normal after 30 days. If that is the case with the whole 30, I may decide to continue when done with this month.

• Administrators

Hi Elisabeth,

Many women experience increased hunger when starting their period.  Usually for the week leading up to it they need more food altogether and more of the starchy veggies too.  Something to keep in mind and prepare for.

• Administrators

Hi dfox,

Are you making sure to include a pre and post workout meal? These are in addition to whatever your regular meals are and are protein and fat for PRE and lean protein and carbs for POST.

The adjustment process for athletics is usually within the first couple of weeks, that "dead legs" lack of energy/endurance feeling will go away as your body adjusts to using fat for fuel rather than the more readily accessible carbohydrates. 

On the topic of carbohydrates though, you could probably afford to include more starchy veggies in your day, tweak to see how you feel.  Good starchies are sweet potato, winter squash, rutabaga, carrots, beets etc and a serving is a fist sized amount. We recommend one serving a day as a start but tweak as you go and see how you feel.

First off, the need for snacks can be an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough. Play with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Until you get there, if you're hungry between meals, the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source.

Possible examples:

- chicken, tuna, salmon or egg salad made with compliant mayo with a baked sweet potato

- hard boiled egg with sliced peppers

- compliant prosciutto with cucumber and olives

- sardines, sauerkraut, and sliced avocado

- smoked salmon, wilted spinach with dressing and/or walnuts

Thanks for the info!

I will try playing with portion sizes!

Today I woke up before the alarm, and my mood is 10X better than this time last week. I had an omelette for breakfast with kale and garlic, cooked in ghee. I packed some slow cooked root veggies and turkey breast for lunch. Unsweetened apple sauce too, I add cinnamon to it and warm it a little. So good!

Last night I worked out with friends, this weekend it will be time to hit the gym! Energy is starting to come back!

HI all! Day 8 and I feel GREAT! Seriously, I did not get a tiger blood rush in my first whole30 but I think this might be it. Rocked my workouts this week, sleeping like a baby and mood is good. I was shocked to start my cycle yesterday since I had no major PMS at all (this must be a first for me). Anyway, did have a dream that I was drinking bourbon at work (lol) last night (My rationale was that I had a cough tee hee) so clearly my subconcious is mourning my lack of wine but otherwise I am grooving along. Weekends are always a bit challenging but I know how to make them easier by keeping busy at my normal cooking dinner, drinking wine time and I have a substitute of kombucha or kava tea. Everyhing else, cooking good food, listening to music...its the same :)

Also feeling lighter already so thrilled about that. I am keeping a journal about my meals and hunger level before and after as well as how I feel in general. For those who are struggling wiht not counting cals, carbs...might that work?

Hi dfox,

Are you making sure to include a pre and post workout meal? These are in addition to whatever your regular meals are and are protein and fat for PRE and lean protein and carbs for POST.

The adjustment process for athletics is usually within the first couple of weeks, that "dead legs" lack of energy/endurance feeling will go away as your body adjusts to using fat for fuel rather than the more readily accessible carbohydrates. 

On the topic of carbohydrates though, you could probably afford to include more starchy veggies in your day, tweak to see how you feel.  Good starchies are sweet potato, winter squash, rutabaga, carrots, beets etc and a serving is a fist sized amount. We recommend one serving a day as a start but tweak as you go and see how you feel.

Thank you for the tips. I normally don't eat before my daily run but I will change that. I would normally think of higher carb pre, protein post, but I'll try the other way around. Do you think a boiled egg would suffice for pre workout? I have a garden full of beets, so I'll just keep eating those. They are good boiled, or grated raw into salads like carrots.

I had an extremely stressful day at work. The old me would have rang up the husband and said, "Don't cook, we're going to the mexican restaurant," and I would have eaten chips until I hurt. Literally. But I didn't do that. I went home and ate the lovely dinner my husband made. (And I actually I was rewarded - beyond staying on plan, I mean - because he had made the most amazing beef and butternut squash persian spiced dish. OMG it was good.) I'm feeling quite mature and grownup that I got through the day without using food as an emotional outlet.

I think my stomach is shrinking already! My pants are starting to feel a touch loose. 

I'm pretty pleased with the way W30 is going - I feel like I can make it!

Friday was a better day. I always seem to be hungry, but not hungry if that makes sense. I wanted to eat a bag of marshmallows and I don't even like marshmallows. I am not a big sugar eater as it is, but clearly my body has been accustomed to higher glycemic index foods since sugar is what i crave. All that said, I had a good day with a lot of strength. My wife and I often see a film on Fridays and popcorn with nutritional yeast is probably my biggest addiction, but I survived last night.

As a runner, I have been suffering from Plantar Fasciitis for several months. I actually injured my fascia at a marathon in October and was unable to run for about three months. I am training now to run Boston Marathon on April 20th and have been nervous about my injury since I worked so hard to qualify for Boston. One of the reasons I started this diet is that nothing else seems to be improving my condition, so I wanted to address it through diet. Yesterday - day 8 - my symtoms were nearly gone in the afternoon. That is very new for me. Today I will be running 11 miles, and on the track, so this will be a true test of my ability to recover. I anticipate some discomfort when done with the workout, but I will be curios to find out if it is less.

Day 8 for me today. This is not a great day for me. I am having bad stomach pains after my late lunch - arugula/spinach salad with turkey, strawberry, peppers, balsamic and EVOO. Its been over an hour now. What is happening? I am dizzy and tired. tried a peppermint tea to settle my stomach, no help. The only ingredient above that I haven't eaten yet this week is the balsamic. Kirkland brand, no sugar but I better see what else is in there.

I "ran" 90 minutes midday -- hilly 36 minutes in Zone 1-2, followed by a long 60 min hike back when my buddy went over on her ankle. Had a baby food sweet potato-carrot-apple mix and black coffee right after the run and a Larabar 60 minutes after, then the abovementioned salad 60 minutes after that. Good full breakfast (egg w spinach, compliant sausage sweet potatoes); preWO hazelnuts almonds dried apples.

Before today I had no transition issues except going to bed with that sort-of hungry feeling was keeping me awake. Had to eat cashews at 2 am on Day 7 to get to sleep. Then for the rest of the day I was not able to make it between meals without snacking, grrr, which I hadn't had to do yet this week. I am a recovering grazer. I have been so clear headed this week. Running Zone 1 seems ok and even a good strength work out Day 5.

I know I started a day after most of you folks in this thread but you are breaking trail for me so I came looking for a hint about what is happening in my belly! Seems to be subsiding a bit now, 2hours later.

[Go Seahawks!]

Well, after running 10.5 miles, 6 as track work, my planter fasciitis is present again, but it isn't as bad as I would normally expect, so I'm hopeful that this healing will continue to progress. Also, I was unable to run as fast as I normally can, so my body is adjusting to not having easily accessible carbs available. My primary observation for yesterday's workout was that while my pace wasn't great, I wasn't fatigued like I normally would be during and after a hard run.

I had a good dinner last night, but I still felt like I was starving at bedtime and did not sleep well. Does that make sense? I wasn't really hungry, but my body felt like it needing something. Maybe tonight I'll have some almond butter if I feel empty so I can get a good night's sleep.

Happy Day 10 Everyone! 

Today seems pretty good. I made one of the recipes out of the book for breakfast, ground meat with apple, cinnamon and nutmeg. It was very good! I had it on a bed of spinach. 

I played around with portion sizes and amounts of fat and protein and I managed to stay full between meals yesterday which was a wonderful change! 

Heading out snowshoeing this afternoon, I'll have to bring tea to have during my break on the trail instead of my usual instant coffee packets, they have some additives in there that I never paid attention to before. 

• Moderators

Day 8 for me today. This is not a great day for me. I am having bad stomach pains after my late lunch - arugula/spinach salad with turkey, strawberry, peppers, balsamic and EVOO. Its been over an hour now. What is happening? I am dizzy and tired. tried a peppermint tea to settle my stomach, no help. The only ingredient above that I haven't eaten yet this week is the balsamic. Kirkland brand, no sugar but I better see what else is in there.

I "ran" 90 minutes midday -- hilly 36 minutes in Zone 1-2, followed by a long 60 min hike back when my buddy went over on her ankle. Had a baby food sweet potato-carrot-apple mix and black coffee right after the run and a Larabar 60 minutes after, then the abovementioned salad 60 minutes after that. Good full breakfast (egg w spinach, compliant sausage sweet potatoes); preWO hazelnuts almonds dried apples.

Before today I had no transition issues except going to bed with that sort-of hungry feeling was keeping me awake. Had to eat cashews at 2 am on Day 7 to get to sleep. Then for the rest of the day I was not able to make it between meals without snacking, grrr, which I hadn't had to do yet this week. I am a recovering grazer. I have been so clear headed this week. Running Zone 1 seems ok and even a good strength work out Day 5.

I know I started a day after most of you folks in this thread but you are breaking trail for me so I came looking for a hint about what is happening in my belly! Seems to be subsiding a bit now, 2hours later.

[Go Seahawks!]

Have you had a look at the meal template? Pre-workout you should try to have protein and fat -- like a hardboiled egg. Post-workout should be fat and starchy vegetable, like chicken breast and sweet potato. Fruit should only be with meals, not stand-alone, and not as either pre or post-workout snacks.

Nuts cause digestive problems for many people -- try cutting them out for a few days and see if that helps.

Finally, dizzy and tired and hungry all make me think you may not be eating enough. You shouldn't be hungry between meals. If you are truly hungry, you should eat a mini-meal with protein, fat, and veggies, but the goal is to have your meals keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

If you want to start a thread over in the Troubleshooting section of the forum you can list a few days' worth of meals, including estimated servings sizes, along with your exercise, water consumption, and anything else that might be relevant, we can try to give you some tips to improve your Whole30 experience.

Happy Day 11 everyone!

Today has been an odd day. More tired today then the past few days, and for some reason I'm having a hard time eating. I couldn't finish my breakfast or my lunch, so I need to power through a pre-workout meal but I'm afraid I won't be able to eat it! Anyone else strangely not hungry?

Almost half way through guys! We're getting there! 

Archived