Starting January 2nd

pechristie

Happy Day 11 everyone!

Today has been an odd day. More tired today then the past few days, and for some reason I'm having a hard time eating. I couldn't finish my breakfast or my lunch, so I need to power through a pre-workout meal but I'm afraid I won't be able to eat it! Anyone else strangely not hungry?

Almost half way through guys! We're getting there! 

I'm not as hungry, but to me that is really positive because normally all I think about is my next meal. It feels good not to be controlled by my appetite. This clearly shows that I'm getting enough to eat. Last night I had to force myself to finish dinner since I knew I'd be running in the morning and would need the energy. I'm not tired today, though.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I didn't believe them when they said I'd have dreams about food and wake up feeling guilty, but it actually happened last night. I dreamt I had some cake while helping with a bake sale (just a taste!) but I couldn't believe I ruined my Whole 30 over grocery store cake! I woke up in the middle of the night feeling guilty until I realized what was going on. 

I've been trying some new recipes from the It Starts With Food book, and exploring the website to find some other things to try. I found a great page on Thanksgiving dinner, http://whole9life.com/2012/11/a-healthy-whole9-thanksgiving/ , some of these would make great side dishes to mix it up on a week night. 

So I didn't believe them when they said I'd have dreams about food and wake up feeling guilty, but it actually happened last night. I dreamt I had some cake while helping with a bake sale (just a taste!) but I couldn't believe I ruined my Whole 30 over grocery store cake! I woke up in the middle of the night feeling guilty until I realized what was going on. 

I've been trying some new recipes from the It Starts With Food book, and exploring the website to find some other things to try. I found a great page on Thanksgiving dinner, http://whole9life.com/2012/11/a-healthy-whole9-thanksgiving/ , some of these would make great side dishes to mix it up on a week night. 

Haha! Me too! I have dreamt twice about drinking wine (my main thing I miss)....so funny. 

Yeah, Day 12. I am doing ok. I have to say that this time around is MUCH easier....the days are just sort of floating by and Im already feelign good, which helps. Sleeping much better and finally getting the meals mostly right so that I am hungry for each one and stopping when I am satisfied. Feels good! 

Day 12 and I'm doing really well with the meals and feeling even more satisfied than normal. My only concern is keeping up the creative cooking to keep it from getting boring. It really helps to make a bone stew full of root veggies to make packing lunch grab-and-go. Normally soup wont hold me over for lunch, but this one is doing the trick, probably because I'm really packing it with the veggies.

I've also been photographing most of my meals because they usually look so great, and to have a record of what's been good. Tonight baked chicken thighs with cauliflower-winter squash mash and kale salad.

The timeline showed days 10-11 as being the most common quitting time. I felt fine. I really have no troubles to speak of, except wondering what my weight is doing (holidays really got me this year), but I also like the element of surprise, so I'll wait the 30 days to stand on the scale again.

Good morning! It's day 13, and we are nearly halfway there. This is exciting! Yesterday was pretty rough for me. My husband and I got into a pretty big argument, which left me emotionally drained and wanting a glass (or bottle, really) of wine and/or a DQ Blizzard. Luckily, we resolved our issues and managed to make it out without ruining our W30. It is really amazing the emotional ties we have with food.

I'm also still suffering from some pretty uncomfortable digestive issues, more so than my previous W30. I'm thinking that maybe it's because I really went for it this holiday season. I'm drinking a lot of kombucha and bone broth, hoping to see some improvements soon. If not, I'll be extending by a couple of weeks.

Meh.

Good Morning! Day 13! 

Not feeling too bad this morning, I did wake up at 3:30 last night and think it was time to get up. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the clock! 

This Friday there is a potluck at work.  I found a dessert recipe that I might bring along but does anyone have any ideas for main dishes? I've been searching online by there doesn't seem to be a lot to inspire me!

This is the apple crisp recipe. http://www.ablossominglife.com/2014/06/homemade-apple-crisp-recipe-paleo-whole30.html#_a5y_p=2500655

• Administrators

I've actually made this recipe when not on Whole30 and it is EXTREMELY sweet.  Like.....almost inedible.  It's not appropriate for someone on Whole30, to be perfectly honest.  It's nothing but SWYPO.

Main dish ideas for a potluck: chili, meatballs on toothpicks, chicken satay etc.

I've actually made this recipe when not on Whole30 and it is EXTREMELY sweet.  Like.....almost inedible.  It's not appropriate for someone on Whole30, to be perfectly honest.  It's nothing but SWYPO.

Main dish ideas for a potluck: chili, meatballs on toothpicks, chicken satay etc.

Meatballs sound like a great idea! I will definitely be making those!

Day 14. On one hand, I can't believe I've made it this far. On the other hand, it's hasn't been very difficult. The days feel, as another poster said above, like they are floating by - like I'm just watching them quietly pass by without interfering with their flow.

The last few days I have felt about the same as I have since I started. Energy is stable throughout the day, but not certainly not tiger blood. I'm usually sleepy pretty early and in bed by 9:30. I just feel normal, I guess. I'm happy that I don't have that horrible heavy feeling after meals, but otherwise I've been having fleeting thoughts that perhaps I'm doing something wrong, because I expected to feel different by now. But I'm quite sure that I'm eating on plan, no SWYPO... I need to increase the amount of veg I eat overall, probably, but that's the only thing I can think of. I realize this may just be a matter of patience, which I can handle in the long-run, but in the short-term I can't stop those thoughts that maybe I'll be the first person to complete a Whole30 and think, meh.

• Administrators

Day 14. On one hand, I can't believe I've made it this far. On the other hand, it's hasn't been very difficult. The days feel, as another poster said above, like they are floating by - like I'm just watching them quietly pass by without interfering with their flow.

The last few days I have felt about the same as I have since I started. Energy is stable throughout the day, but not certainly not tiger blood. I'm usually sleepy pretty early and in bed by 9:30. I just feel normal, I guess. I'm happy that I don't have that horrible heavy feeling after meals, but otherwise I've been having fleeting thoughts that perhaps I'm doing something wrong, because I expected to feel different by now. But I'm quite sure that I'm eating on plan, no SWYPO... I need to increase the amount of veg I eat overall, probably, but that's the only thing I can think of. I realize this may just be a matter of patience, which I can handle in the long-run, but in the short-term I can't stop those thoughts that maybe I'll be the first person to complete a Whole30 and think, meh.

For a lot of people Tiger Blood isn't a switch being flipped with unending energy and sparkles. It's just feeling.....alright. Consistently. Better digestion, good sleep, well rested, no energy slumps, stable mood. Nothing HUGE, just.....better.

Check this Whole30 article about Tiger Blood: http://whole30.com/2014/04/tiger-blood/

Day 14 I'm a little tired. Didn't get up early and run today. Yesterday I was a bit constipated, probably because I've never eaten so much meat on a regular basis in my life - so we ate a nice big salad last night with home canned tuna (we buy fresh caught tuna from a boat at the coast each year). Since I didn't exercise I didn't have an appetite this morning, but I ate some leftover salad with scrambled egg anyway. Today I'm just kind of blah, but I haven't finished my coffee yet. I have noticed that my body is feeling leaner and my belt has tightened a notch. Most days I'm feeling pretty good, and pretty close to normal. I really like not being hungry between meals. I'll keep plugging along.

Day 14 I'm a little tired. Didn't get up early and run today. Yesterday I was a bit constipated, probably because I've never eaten so much meat on a regular basis in my life - so we ate a nice big salad last night with home canned tuna (we buy fresh caught tuna from a boat at the coast each year). Since I didn't exercise I didn't have an appetite this morning, but I ate some leftover salad with scrambled egg anyway. Today I'm just kind of blah, but I haven't finished my coffee yet. I have noticed that my body is feeling leaner and my belt has tightened a notch. Most days I'm feeling pretty good, and pretty close to normal. I really like not being hungry between meals. I'll keep plugging along.

I'm tired today too. Coffee didn't help much.  I'm tempted to skip my evening workout and get cozy on the sofa with a book. Might not be a bad idea. It would be my first rest day since Sunday. 

Not very hungry today. Had avocado with lunch instead of meat. I feel like I'm getting a little tired of so much meat. Its normally not such a staple for me. 

Here I am on day 15 of my whole 30. I am feeling better than I have in years. My acid reflux is gone, digestion problems that I have suffered from for years is so much better, less headaches,more energy, sugar dragon slain, and I am so much happier. Life is good!!!

I started my first Whole30 on January 2 too, along with hubby and three friends (all newbies).  Happy to report on Day 16 we are past the half way mark.  We are all feeling GREAT and have already committed to doing this again one or two more times this year!!

Day 16 and I'm feeling pretty good. I will say that yesterday I was just insatiably hungry. I ate plenty, but just couldn't seem to slay the dragon. I went to bed a little hungry, but awoke without appetite, so I'm sure I'm getting enough. I have a half-marathon tomorrow I was hoping would be fast, but I'm not counting on it as slow as I've been running these past two weeks. Today I'll eat a lot of starchy veggies to fuel my body in preparation for the race.

I have reached food boredom, but continue to try new ideas. I'm just not used to such limitations. I think we're going to buy a slow-cooker today and try some unique recipes.

I hope everyone else is doing well and getting enough good, real, food to eat.

Hi all,

Day 16! Im not gonna lie---yesterday was the hardest day yet for me by far. Maybe I was getting complacent but I nearly caved and had some wine. I just WANTED it and felt ENTITLED to it...but luckily I have some good support so I managed to resist but dang! weekends are hard for me in that department. Food wise, I am doing pretty well. Managing to eat according to template mostly although I did have a snack last night banana nut butter when I was not fish and brocooli hungry but hey I did not drink any wine! 

My energy is good, sleep is great and feeling strong in my workouts so I know I am making good progress although I would like to notice more change in my clothes already but it has only been two weeks....

I had been posting all my meals in a personal log but it just got to be too time consuming...

Yesterday I ate:

M1---mashup of roasted pork shoulder, roasted veg and spinach with coco aminos

M2--salad with artichokes, kale, green papaya, and some compliant red curry

snack---couple dried plums and cashews

M3---ancho chile chicken quarters (1.5) roasted veg, almonds

Snack--alomonds, cashews, dried coconut mango and half banana

Wow, that is actually a lot of food and have strayed a bit from template....see, it is good to write it all down.

Have a good day all. I am cooking lamb shanks, cauli cous cous and roasting a chicken for this week...

Starting day 17. I'm still eating on-plan without too much trouble, but ....

About a week ago I discovered that white potatoes are now a W30 food. I've avoided white potatoes with very few exceptions (my MIL's mashed potatoes) for years, ever since I did South Beach. I just never felt the need to add them back even though I went back to eating every other horrible thing under the sun. But my husband and daughter like them, and we received some in our CSA box this week, so I gave my husband the green light to include them in our dinner on Thursday night. I liked them well enough, but I didn't even finish the serving on my plate because I was satisfied (look at me being all mature about food).

Friday morning I woke up with a zit, after having clear skin since I started W30. Friday afternoon I got very sleepy. I was actually yawning at work at 4pm. This is very unusual for me at any time, never mind during W30. I was sleepy most of yesterday and spent way more time slouching in a chair than I did the weekend before. I slept 12 hours last night (my usual is 8) and I was groggy when I woke up this morning - another set of facts that are abnormal to my W30 experience. I'd intended to go to the gym at least once this weekend but I can't seem to gather the will to actually go. And I woke up this morning with a second zit.

In short, my sense of well-being has taken a giant step backwards in the last two days. Is all of this the result of a small serving of white potatoes? Or is this just part of the W30 process?

Hi everyone!

Hope you are all having a good day! We've moved past halfway and are approaching the home stretch!

Elizabeth, hang in there :) I'm sure it will get better. I don't think you're reacting to potatoes. It's probably more

Of a detox thing. Maybe have a look at your face cream ? I switched to an all natural oil free cream last spring.

I was always broke out with one or two blemishes , but with the oil free moisturizer , no more issues. I figured I'd try and

Clean up my habits on the outside too.

On day 15 instead of rewarding my accomplishment with food, I went out and picked up things to make my home nicer. New

Coffee area in my kitchen, more storage in my bathroom.

I hope everyone has a great day !

Day 20! Still kicking. I might be a little broke from all the great food I've been stocking and consuming, but it's worth it. Too often vegetables get transfered from the fridge to the compost due to non-use. That is not a problem now. I'm using all of my veggies while still fresh.

I feel pretty much normal at this point. When I think about what I might want to re-introduce, I really don't miss anything except for popcorn. I don't see the point of re-introducing anything else if I feel great the way I'm currently eating. There is really no point in reintroducing dairy if I am perfectly healthy without it. I really see no point in reintroducing any level of sugar. It's not good for hormone balance, it's not good for healthy weight management, and it's proven to be linked to cancer. It isn't a human need. period. I don't believe wheat is good for anyone. I don't need it. I love pizza, but can live without it. Maybe once or twice a year.

Last night's dinner: Seared beefheart (the best cut of beef). Tender, lean, and delish. Cabbage soup with compliant sausage made by simply adding cabbage and sausage to chicken broth I made last week. Yum. Delecata squash from our garden cut into rings and roasted, sprinkled with chipoltle powder.

I ran 8 miles this morning, including hill work. I'm still weaker than I would like to be when running, but I'm just as strong as before with my push-ups and sit-ups. Not stronger, however. I'm still struggling to see any differences in my althletic ability. Many posts claim better work outs, but I'm just not there. I do eat very well, including pre-post workouts, but I don't see a difference in strength and ability. I will say that my plantar fasciitis (heel pain) is much more manageable than before. It's still there, but getting better.

Day 20! Still kicking. I might be a little broke from all the great food I've been stocking and consuming, but it's worth it. Too often vegetables get transfered from the fridge to the compost due to non-use. That is not a problem now. I'm using all of my veggies while still fresh.

I feel pretty much normal at this point. When I think about what I might want to re-introduce, I really don't miss anything except for popcorn. I don't see the point of re-introducing anything else if I feel great the way I'm currently eating. There is really no point in reintroducing dairy if I am perfectly healthy without it. I really see no point in reintroducing any level of sugar. It's not good for hormone balance, it's not good for healthy weight management, and it's proven to be linked to cancer. It isn't a human need. period. I don't believe wheat is good for anyone. I don't need it. I love pizza, but can live without it. Maybe once or twice a year.

Last night's dinner: Seared beefheart (the best cut of beef). Tender, lean, and delish. Cabbage soup with compliant sausage made by simply adding cabbage and sausage to chicken broth I made last week. Yum. Delecata squash from our garden cut into rings and roasted, sprinkled with chipoltle powder.

I ran 8 miles this morning, including hill work. I'm still weaker than I would like to be when running, but I'm just as strong as before with my push-ups and sit-ups. Not stronger, however. I'm still struggling to see any differences in my althletic ability. Many posts claim better work outs, but I'm just not there. I do eat very well, including pre-post workouts, but I don't see a difference in strength and ability. I will say that my plantar fasciitis (heel pain) is much more manageable than before. It's still there, but getting better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like the I'm spending a lot on food. My fridge is full of good foods though, and I kind of like that. I've started growing micro greens and sprouts in a small green house on my dining room table. I do this every winter just to have something green around and something to add to dishes for some extra nutrients. But it feels nice to be growoing something nutrient dense and whole 30 suitable. 

I overdid my ab exercises at the gym on Monday, so this is day 2 of not being able to move well. I'm going to try a yoga class tonight to see if I can loosen up a bit! 

No tiger blood, but I am getting up earlier and much more energy. Last night I was able to walk and bath my dog, as well as make supper and tidy the house a bit. This is huge, before the Whole30 I would crash after work. 

As far as reintroducing foods goes, I think I will follow the suggestions in the book, do it slowly. I don't really want or need gluten, and I think dairy has been causing me some problems for a long time. But this way I will know once and for all whats causing digestive distress!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like the I'm spending a lot on food. My fridge is full of good foods though, and I kind of like that. I've started growing micro greens and sprouts in a small green house on my dining room table. I do this every winter just to have something green around and something to add to dishes for some extra nutrients. But it feels nice to be growoing something nutrient dense and whole 30 suitable. 

I overdid my ab exercises at the gym on Monday, so this is day 2 of not being able to move well. I'm going to try a yoga class tonight to see if I can loosen up a bit! 

No tiger blood, but I am getting up earlier and much more energy. Last night I was able to walk and bath my dog, as well as make supper and tidy the house a bit. This is huge, before the Whole30 I would crash after work. 

As far as reintroducing foods goes, I think I will follow the suggestions in the book, do it slowly. I don't really want or need gluten, and I think dairy has been causing me some problems for a long time. But this way I will know once and for all whats causing digestive distress!

You mention getting up earlier. I am NOT a morning person. However, in order to guarantee effective training for a fast marathon I have to get up at 5:00 am. I've noticed that it is getting easier to wake up this early. In fact, I always wake up before the alarm. The most noticable thing to me during the Whole30 is that normally I do feel tired throughout the day and could lay down almost anywhere and sleep, but now I have good mental energy until bed time. I usually get 7 hours sleep, and right now that seems to be enough.

I'm still kicking!! I am feeling good. My skin has seen better days those. Not necessarily more break outs but I was expecting a clearer complexion like I had during my past two Whole 30s. I also have found yet another food that my body does not tolerate. That brings it to four, four of my favorites.... Avocados, pineapple, Brussel sprouts and now mushrooms. They cause terrible stomach pain, kind of like I have eaten broken glass. I won't be trying these foods again anytime soon if ever. I think I will try to keep up the Whole 30 for at least 45 days. I am nervous to reintroduce any type of sugar... I have tried moderation and it doesn't work well for me. Here's to a great 10 days!

Still kicking. No tiger blood but I love the food I'm eating. Had a hard time spooning out cookie dough ice cream for my daughter tonight though.

dfox I am also training for a marathon (50k trail race actually) but my event is still 4 months away. I hate how much slower I'm running now, I think I have to bail on a hilly 2hr group trail run this weekend, just not fat-adapted enough yet. Will do my long slooooww run solo, with coconut water and maybe some sweet potato puree for emergency. I'm using Whole30 as a form of metabolic efficiency training, a la Bob Seebohar, Sunny Blende. I'm planning to continue training my fat burning system for another 4-6 weeks, but I'm not sure how to transition back into a more balanced relationship with grains. I don't know if there is such a thing for me. As long as cookies, peanut butter and bagels exist as a dietary options for me they tend to be my first choice. Me too Meshell725 -- I think abstinence is easier than moderation!

HIIT and strength workouts are holding steady for me too.

Haven't weighed myself but my wedding ring is usually a good indication...I'm guessing I'm down 3-4 pounds.

Broiled prosciutto-wrapped asparagus is my new candy.

Archived