Food Addict or Just Undiciplined?

aksims123

My name is Angel.  A long time ago in a body far-far away I was a highly competitive ice-skater (from the Tonya Harding era lol!)  I went to college on a full scholarship as Vermont's Junior Miss, got a Master's Degree in ten months, I can seem to conquer anything except my eating/fitness habits!  I am 5'3 and currently weight 206 lbs.  I am 8 lbs shy of my highest weight ever.  Twelve years ago I lost 80 lbs in 5 months going to one of those pill dispensing medi-weightloss clinics. Although everyone around me said I looked amazing I felt awful, got sick all the time, lost some hair, and eventually put the weight back on.  All 4 of my grandparents died of cancer and both of my parents have battled it.  I am a time bomb!  My stomach is constantly upset and I am sick of food making me tired instead of giving me energy.  I have a great deal of head knowledge.  I see so many people in programs like this being insanely successful in every way, but I cannot seem to slay  this dragon.

Being an "over achiever," I am perplexed by my inability to get a grip here.  I teeter between "healthologies;" like weather to go cold turkey or make small changes over time.  In general I make it about 3 days max 3 weeks before I find a reason to cave.  I think about food way more than the average person.  Literally, 100+ times a day.... what to eat, when to eat, what fun/yummy food centered thing is coming up.  Is there a "addiction" line or am I just undisciplined?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome.

I wonder if it's time to let go of trying to label your past food behavior, keep it in the past, forgive yourself, clean the slate and give yourself a fresh start?

You could choose to take on the Whole30 as a one day at a time experiment, no expectations, and seeing what the journey holds for you. Watch for triggers that can potentially take you off track, and have non-food strategies in place to handle them.

Consider whether it would support your success to enlist the help of a professional counselor who specializes in this area.

• Moderators

Welcome!

I don't think anyone here has any business "diagnosing" you, but food issues in my experience have both physiological and psychological roots and the most brilliant of people can't think their way out of them. The good news is you've come to the right place! Whole 30 addresses both.

Since you have a history of giving up on programs, I recommend you study up and arm yourself with as much information about W30 and therefore motivation before beginning. Knowledge is power and yes, this time can be different for you. Focus on nourishing and healing yourself and let go of weight loss expectations is my best advice. Along with reading It Starts With Food. It's an invaluable resource.

Welcome! When we are sensitive or allergic to food we crave it more. I am not an expert but it has something to do with your body developing antibodies towards certain foods like gluten. When you stop eating gluten you body is full of antibodies with nothing to do. Your body wants you to eat gluten so the antibodies have a job to do. This is equivalent to other addictions. Once you get past a certain point the antibodies will lesson and you will not crave gluten, sugar etc. Unfortunately if you ever eat it again you will get your craving back immediately. It is similar to when you get a shot for chicken pox. Your body has antibodies for chicken pox for the rest of your life. If you are ever exposed your body will be able to get rid of the virus.

This has nothing to do with will power. The whole30 can help you break the cycle but it may take a while. Some people can react to gluten for 6 months after they eat it. Be gentle with yourself don't expect perfection! You might need to do a more gentle elimination like giving up gluten first and then dairy, beans, sugar, etc. Also you could be reacting to some other food or medicine, it may take a while to figure this out. I am still working to figure out my issues, is it thyroid, adrenal fatigue, hormonal? Who knows. Good Luck!

Have you considered talking with a therapist?  I know that some people are highly opposed to doing that, but it can really help you define the origin of your food addiction (which you need to conquer it!).

I think it's shortsighted to say it's just a matter of willpower.  It is to some extent, but there's definitely an addiction component to all of the "weak" foods (non-Whole30 compliant).  Have you read "It Starts with Food"?  I highly recommend doing so - you sound like someone who cares about the science behind obesity & the screwed up modern food system. 

One of the things that helps me with staying on a healthy diet is not feeling guilty when I eat something off-plan.  Afterwards, I just think "that happened, now we move on" & I focus on the next healthy food to go into my mouth.  I actually eat healthier when that's my attitude because I don't have the emotional turmoil many people get.  I find the highly restrictive mindset of "OMG YOU JUST ATE SOMETHING OFF PLAN, YOU JUST FAILED" in the Whole30 forum to be destructive for me.  I understand the importance of a careful diet when you're identifying food sensitivities, but self-forgiveness & self-acceptance are important for emotional health.

I noticed you mentioned upset stomach. You may have some hidden things causing you real physical trouble.

Reintroductions may be very enlightening for you.

For years I did a well known shake diet, loaded with dairy and quite a bit of gluten. I couldn't figure out why I'd regularly get so sick I'd need to stop the shake program. After my first Whole30 reintroduction of gluten, I realised gluten had been impacting my health for years, a bit later, I realised dairy too impacts my health (I convinced myself for a while that dairy was fine, but my food logs don't lie, I'm always less well with dairy and eventually get quite sick (I have leaky gut). No wonder I didn't thrive on a dairy-heavy gluten-including program :)

Be gentle with yourself, listen to your body, think about how you feel.

Keep a log, record your successes and any triggers that seem to be a problem. Restarting a Whole30 isn't a failure, it helps you learn what works for you.

I find my blood sugar is more stable without dairy and getting enough sleep helps me make good decisions about food (I worked shift work for years).

I also know that nothing is tasty enough to make me want to eat gluten, now I know how sick it makes me feel.

During December my cousin and her husband visited.  They have been on a clean eating regime almost a year, but it's not the Whole 30 one.  When I saw them, they took my breath away.  She'll be 60 this April and he's around her same age.  They both looked 10 years younger, and he has lost 40 pounds.  She didn't need to lose weight, but has also lost some.  When I saw them, I became a believer and started my own little clean eating program (just two weeks ago).  I did one thing one week at a time.  First, I gave up drinking wine each evening.  Second, I gave up artificial sweeteners and most added sugar.  Now, I feel ready to do a complete program so I'm starting the Whole 30.  I don't feel any doubts about doing it.  Anyway, that long story is to say maybe taking a few weeks to do one thing at a time will help you feel ready, too.   :) Good luck to both of us! 

• 1 month later...

Archived