Kelli's Whole30 Starting January 1, 2015

Kelli W

I am starting my first Whole30 on January 1.  New year, new start.  I think this will be a tough 30 days but I need the intervention.  I was diagnosed with PCOS 25 years ago and have struggled to have a healthy food relationship most of my life.  I am currently eating worse than i have in years.  Looking forward to the reset!

You can do this!   Be sure to stock up on good food, and get rid of any temptations in your house (if you can).  For me, having things I can grab and eat quickly when hunger or cravings strike is key -- carrots and guacamole, a handful of nuts, a packet of (compliant) smoked salmon, a Larabar in my purse (for "emergencies"), leftover veggies that can be quickly reheated, a hard boiled egg...

You totally can do this.  :D  Good job for making this decision! 

Ann

12/31/2014 - I bought local beef / pork today. It's confusing!! I have been able to easily find pastured meat, but grass finished appears to be a challenge.  Even if they say this, they seem to be feeding / supplementing with corn or soy or something. Anyway, I figure locally pastured, locally butchered is better than what I was eating.

1/1/2015 Today is my first day!  I took pics this morning.  Oops forgot measurements - have to do that. I still have some veggies to buy today as well as some chicken thighs and I am going to be following Well Fed's weekly cookup. I think this will be key for me.  (Figuring out a way to get a bit of chocolate will be key too ;-) I am off of work this week so I am a bit slower on prep than I will be in coming weeks.

Breakfast

- 3 eggs, fried

- 2 tomatoes

I think I will make some quiche as part of my cookup too ... that will be a good way to have breakfasty stuff handy.

I plan to have chuck roast for dinner.  It's thawing ... with carrots, celery, onion.  Hm. I wonder what other veggies would be good cooked in a roast?

Day 1 continued ...

I wasn't hungry between breakfast and lunch at all.

Lunch 

Chicken Breast sliced

Romaine Lettuce

Grape Tomatoes

Dressing - Olive Oil / Balsamic Vinegar

Dinner

Chuck Roast (palm size)

1/2 sweet potato

carrots

celery

onion

blackberries

I got a little hungry between lunch and dinner.  Had some tea and was fine.  I was probably thirsty as I had only drank coffee :-)  But will try and boost veggies a bit and add a fruit tomorrow or perhaps a bit more fat.  I got some avocado today -  yum! 

I did find some coconut chips with cocoa on them today.  I imagine i will have a bit of those tonight.

Plan for tomorrow is to do the cookup.  

Good day 1!

Oh, they are!!!  I got them at my local grocery store (Schnucks) for $1.99 a bag, but here is a link to the item on Amazon so you can see what the package looks like.  Some of the flavors had sugar in them but this one did not :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Chocolate-Bliss-Coconut-Gluten/dp/B00J2WFK52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420169004&sr=8-1&keywords=bare+chocolate+bliss+coconut+chips

Maybe you found a variety without it, but be sure to watch out for the coconut nectar, too.  Here's a great list of places sugar hides:

http://whole9life.com/2010/06/sugar-sugar-sugar/

Actually, after looking at this list again, I realize the 100'% juice I've been adding (a splash of) to my fizzy Sodastream water, is probably pushing the limits of what is allowable.  Dang!

Day 2 - 1/2/2015

Today was a good day from a Whole30 standpoint. I ate according to plan, if a bit late and also did my first cook up.

Breakfast

3 eggs, fried

tomatoes

blackberries

Lunch

Leftover roast, carrots, celery, onions

brussel sprouts

Dinner

grilled chicken thigh

greens

tomatoes

1/2 avocado

oil/balsamic vinegar

baked apple

On the cookup, I made hamburger meat - 2 lbs, grilled chicken thighs - 2 lbs, spaghetti squash, eggplant and cabbage. I was thinking about cutting up green / red peppers but managed to slice my finger, thus ending my cutting for a bit :-)  I think I may still male a quiche this weekend as that will be an easy breakfast for work next week.

I tried to make mayo - epic fail. Will try Ann's video from grocery geek tomorrow -  thanks for posting Ann!  I really want some chicken salad as well as a southwestern dressing from that.  I ordered some Sunbutter sunflower seed spread as it features in a sauce for phad thai that I have to have :)

I tried ghee yesterday on my sweet potato - not a fan.  Burnt taste.  Afraid to try it on anything else ,,,

Good night!

Day 3 - 1/1/2015

Today has been a good day .. I resisted temptation today though I really could have loved some chocolate :-) Slept like a log last night.  You can tell my blood sugar is very stable and I had a ton of energy today.  The only negative really is that I was out for several hours midday so I was really hungry when I got home and ate my last meal within 3.5 or 4 hours of the 2nd one.

Breakfast: Spinach Quiche (http://paleoleap.com/basic-spinach-quiche/), tomatoes, blueberries.  I liked this quiche and am sure I will keep making these as they will be very fast on the leftover days.  I kind of miss the creaminess that cheese adds to it, but it's tasty.

Snack: Pistachio nuts

Lunch: Grilled chicken thigh, salad greens, 1/2 avocado, blueberries, tomato, oil / vinegar

Dinner: Hamb meat /onion from the cookup, cabbage, fire roasted tomatoes, italian seasonings, baked apple

At this moment, still wish I had some chocolate ...  And I am struggling to stay off the scale.  Tomorrow hope to try the video version of mayo.  Want to have a chicken salad cucumber boat :-)

Day 4. Most exciting moment so far? Making my own mayo! Yay. Made some on day 2 that failed. So I used this recipe http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/…/the-secret-to-homemade-…/ but this method - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS-UyW3jBFI Thank you Ann!! Yum. I love it and can't wait to have some in chicken salad tonight for dinner!

Day 4 - 1/4/2015

Today was a pretty good day.  I was a bit hungrier today.  This could be because I needed to eat more or because there was more temptation all around me (cupcakes, donuts, etc.) at church.  I have managed to stick to plan though I have had more fruit than the other days to do it.  I felt good in my clothes though.  And I did make that mayo! And it was good :-)  Finger is healing ;-)

Breakfast: Spinach Quiche from 2 days ago, blueberries

Lunch: Sirloin steak, salad greens, 1/2 avocado, oil / bals vinegar, olives

Dinner: Chicken Salad (homemade mayo, chicken, grapes, walnuts, celery, onion powder, pickles), cucumber, asparagus with a bit of clarified butter, fresh pineapple

Back to work tomorrow so that will be a real test.  And I have my study group tomorrow night so they will have a sweet dessert / fruit.  I think I will bring me something to supplement the fruit there ... not sure what I will pick.

Day 5 - 1/5/2015

First day back at work.  Study group tonight. Generally good day.  Better than yesterday.  I am not sleeping well, though. 

Breakfast - Spinach Quiche leftover, pineapple

Lunch - Taco salad (hamb meat, sauce, lettuce, 1/2 avocado, homemade ranch dressing, salsa (no sugar)

Dinner - Chicken salad, cucumber, strawberries

Snack - Olives

I ended up just bringing dinner to study group.  Worked great!

Day 6 & Day 7 1/7/2015

Yesterday, I had a busy day at work ,a Relay for Life Committee meeting, then came home and worked on something I needed for a meeting at 7am this morning so I never had time to post :-)  On a positive note, I ate out yesterday and stayed on plan.  Today has been good ... I had early meetings, a lunch meeting and then had an appointment directly after, so it was tough eating timely today.  But I am on plan :-)  I am so excited be a full week into this program.  Yay for me!e

Day 6

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled, carrots, ranch dressing

Lunch - Chicken salad, celery

Dinner - 1/2 rack dry rub ribs, potato

Snack - mini Lara bar, pineapple, pecans

Day 7

Breakfast - 2 eggs, scrambled, tomatoes

Lunch - grilled chicken, salad greens, ranch dressing, blueberries

Dinner - hamb meat, eggplant, red pepper, onion, stir fry sauce

Snack - mini lara bar, pineapple, pecans, olives

Other updates -

My clothes are already fitting better / more loose. Will likely have to get on a scale.  I just can't imagine waiting until the end of the 30 days,

Have been having difficulty going to sleep but sleeping pretty good once asleep.  Going to bed now and hoping for the best!

I've been participating in a Facebook Whole30 group for people who joined first week of Jan and it's been very good too.  Love the support of others on this!  Love this program ... I am really not hungry unless it is time to eat and really not have terrible cravings either.  This is unusual for me --- not to be starved when I shouldn't be or mindlessly snacking rather than eating a meal or crazing sweets.  My blood sugar must be dancing in happiness.

Good night!

Staying off the scale is one of the hardest parts for me.  That, and eating at the table (which I only manage to do about half of the time, unless my computer desk counts as a table...)  

Good job on Days 6-7, Kelli!!  On to Day 8! 

Day 8 & Day 9 1/9/2015

Yesterday was a bit crazy.  I worked a ton of hours with meetings during the work day + evening as well as a couple of things on a deadline.  Glad that day is over.  It was tough to eat on schedule.  I skimped a bit on breakfast and I sure felt it rest of day -- hunger, etc.  So learned that was not smart!

Day 8

Breakfast - 1 boiled egg, pineapple

Lunch - grilled chicken, salad greens, 1/2 avocado, blueberries, paleo ranch dressing

Dinner - taco salad - hamb meat, greens, onion, tomatoes, salsa, red pepper, paleo taco seasoning, ranch dressing

Snack - egg, olives, mini lara bar

Day 9

Breakfast - 1 boiled egg, 1 sm grilled chicken thigh, tomatoes, pineapple

Lunch - ribeye steak, sweet potato, green salad, oil / vinegar (at Longhorn steakhouse with my sister / nephew)

Dinner - ribeye steak, sweet potato, cabbage, pecans

I did not sleep well last night --- I had a meeting at 6am this morning. Could be because of that or still adjusting.  I took a nap this afternoon and honestly, I have no idea how long I would have slept if the phone did not ring.  I hope I am able to sleep tonight :-)

Day 10 - 1/10/2015

I slept great, really great last night.  Feeling good generally :) Staying on this is starting to feel normal.  And my blood sugar is good and stable and I feel hungry when I am really hungry ;)

Breakfast: 3 eggs, orange

Lunch: grilled chicken, greens (spinach), 1/2 avocado, oranges, blueberries, oil and balsamic vinegar

Dinner: Well Fed 2 - citrus carnitas (yum), sweet potato, sauteed spinach, pecans

One third of the way through!

I had a very good day!  I was on the run most of the day, but I had the energy to be on the run most of the day  :lol:  And my jeans felt great (were a bit tight before  :D

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs in coconut oil, blackberries.  I made these with Pampered Chef microwave egg stone and they were great.

Snack - mini lara bar, cashews

Linner - (lunch / dinner) Well Fed Phad Thai - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/ this was so awesome. I imagine I will make this every week.

I didn't eat another meal but I snacked on the prep meals / food I made today.

- grilled chicken

- vegetable beef soup - hamburger, onion, broccoli, squash, peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, okra

- Spicy Tuna Cakes - http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes (Yummy!)

- Pizza Spaghetti Pie - http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/ (Amazing!)

- cauliflower rice

I wanted to make some kind of egg cups but I couldn't find that recipe for anything.  Later ;-)

Day 12 & Day 13 - 1/13/2014

Well, I guess I was getting a little cocky because today was a tough day!  

Day 12

Breakfast - 2 eggs, cherries (I should have eaten veggies cause I was hungry all day!)

Lunch - Spicy Tuna Cake, soup

Dinner - leftover Phad Thai (still love love love this).

Day 13

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with ghee, tomatoes, cherries

Lunch - Pizza Spaghetti pie, brussel sprouts

Dinner - Talapia with ghee, salad greens, tomatoes

Snack - coconut / cacao

I did measure my waist today. Great loss there! yay. Had a very awesome day for my cause.  I am a co-chair for my local Relay for Life.  We have a restaurant fundraiser and I was able to sign up a new restaurant at our committee meeting / dinner tonight, which was awesome!

Day 16 - 1/16/2015

This has been a busy busy week.  Wow.  I have been following W30, just not faithfully logging :(

Breakfast - 3 eggs, spinach, green onion and coconut oil omelet

Lunch - 4 spicy tuna cakes crisped up in coconut oil

Dinner - Citrus carnitas, greens, tomato, olives, EVO, balsamic vinegar

My sister told me my face and my body looked thinner today :D I have a ton of energy, my blood sugar is super stable and I have hunger pains ;-)  I actually think my neck is doing better -- not as much numbness / tingling in my hand. (I have cervical stenosis caused by arthritis and have had surgery once on my neck already).  Starting to be aware of this. I am still not sleeping well or much and I had a killer headache yesterday.  I think this is because I forgot to drink coffee in the morning.  Overall, couldn't be more pleased.

Archived