Starting new job & school in a week - Wait to start Whole30?

JennaKay

Hello!

I am planning on starting Whole30 on January 5th and I am really excited! Well, nervous for sure, but still excited!

The main reason I am nervous is that I have a lot of new changes coming up and I don't know if it would be worth it to wait till I am "settled." On the 5th I am starting a new job (yay!) that I will hopefully love and then I am going back to school on the 13th (night classes, not as big of a yay). Would it be smarter to wait till I am in the groove so I don't have as many changes or should I just jump right in?

I've read a bit on the Paleo diet and on Whole30 and have read that the first two weeks are brutal with the "carb flu" and I want to try to be 100% when I'm starting the new job and school! I know there will always be obstacles and struggles, but I'm almost thinking that have these two major changes in my life might be too much.

Anyone else run into this issue of major upcoming changes pushing back your start date?

Hi JennaKay -- welcome! 

I just started my third W30, and in my previous go-rounds, I did not suffer the flu-like symptoms that some others experience.  I'm currently on day 3, and had a very small headache last night.  It might not have been related to W30, but I suspect it was since I don't get headaches often. 

Those are some major life changes (congrats on the job!), but I say jump right in!!!  The sooner the better!

Ann

I think that's a good time to ease your way into a Whole30.  Start cutting out gluten & dairy, try some new compliant recipes, write compliant grocery lists within your budget, start eating leftovers for breakfast, get into the habit of packing a daily lunch etc.

I've been doing that for most of December.  I get stressed about drastic change, so I've been easing my way into it.  I haven't experienced any negative mood effects, although I'll wait until January to comment on that since I haven't officially started my Whole30 yet.

If you're feeling it's too much, you might want to wait and use the extra time for planning.

Not everyone gets carb flu, but it could be tougher in a new routine in a new job.

If you decide to start before the changes, be gentle with yourself, it's a lot of lifestyle change! :)

I think it's how you feel.  I tried Whole30 once just because my daughter convinced me.  I didn't last one week.  This time I really WANT to do it, and I'm not having any doubts.  Start when it feels like "I know I want to do this" time!

• Administrators

"Carb flu" isn't a guarantee, it really depends on how different Whole30 style eating is from your current way.  What is a guarantee though is that the Whole30 requires planning, preparation and time and if you think maybe you don't have the luxury of those right now, you might want to consider doing as mentioned above, start making the changes that are required for a Whole30 and then when you are able to plan, prepare and spend the time creating a successful Whole30, you'll be so much closer to actually doing it.

Archived