Coffee with Milk Options

bkdreds

You'd need to check to ensure the almond milk doesn't contain any off-plan ingredients. Many commercial brands contain vanilla extract or carrageenan, for example, making them non-compliant. Best to either make your own almond milk, use compliant coconut milk, or drink your coffee black.

What brands of coconut milk are compliant? Silk has carrageenan :(

We are hesitant to recommend specific brands on the forum, as sometimes ingredients change or vary by region.  Your only assurance is to read the ingredient labels before you buy. Start with looking for canned (vs. boxed) coconut milk, which you'll typically find in the Asian food aisle.

I used to be a die hard 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee fanatic... like, I couldn't drink coffee EVER without it. Never any sugar.  After my first Whole30 last May I can't drink coffee with anything in it at all....lol.  It's either black, or none!  I never thought I'd get to that point (and it took me 1/2 that month to get used to it). 

Trader Joe's Almond milk brands are not compliant but their canned light coconut milk is just cocnut milk and water.

Super easy to make your own nut milk for your coffee.REALLY!  Btw, Cashew milk doesnt need to be strained like Almond milk. Yummy in my coffee~

• 5 weeks later...

Good Morning!

I have been complaining about coconut milk in my coffee all month.

I made a coffee creamer from "Against All Grain". I made it whole 30 by omitting the honey and maple syrup.

It is just basically homemade almond milk, coconut milk and a vanilla bean. I actually like it. Although the vanilla bean is

$$. I may look for a compliant vanilla powder for the next time. I would def recommend it to the coffee lovers out there!  

Have a great day and good luck everyone!!

Shannonmommy

• 2 weeks later...

Ann I have been making bullet proof coffee with grass fed butter. I have not started my whole 30. So is the ghee just as good and where do you find yours?

I have purchased ghee at New Seasons, but mostly I make my own.  I use Kerrygold non-salted butter, simmer it until all the froth comes to the top, carefully skim that white froth off, wait for a second froth to form and again carefully skim all that off, and then pour it into a mason jar.  Ideally, it should be poured though a cheesecloth, but I don't always have cheesecloth on hand, and if I'm careful to skim the milk solids off, and take care not to let any of the particles that have formed at the bottom of the pan pour out, it works just fine. 

I usually use a big spoonful of ghee, and a big spoonful of coconut oil in my BPC.  Sometimes a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Yum. 

ok so I just put the whole pack of grassfed kerrygold unsalted butter in a boiler and cook slowly until it froths on top then just pour through cheesecloth into a mason jar or do I have to skim it first then pour through the cheesecloth?   Store in fridge or pantry?  How long will it keep?

ok so I just put the whole pack of grassfed kerrygold unsalted butter in a boiler and cook slowly until it froths on top then just pour through cheesecloth into a mason jar or do I have to skim it first then pour through the cheesecloth?   Store in fridge or pantry?  How long will it keep?

These are the directions I follow.  http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/how-to-clarify-butter-recipe/

I store in the fridge. I've never had it go bad before I finish using it.

Archived