First Whole30 in the Big Apple (January Start)

abbylovesfood

Hi all,

I am planning on starting my first Whole30 on January 1st. I have been researching paleo/clean eating/whole30 for a few years now and incorporating some of the concepts into my diet but I decided it was time to put my money where my mouth is. As an incentive to myself to stick with this, I am setting aside a $50 gift card to Barnes and Noble as a reward to myself for when I finish. It is going to be tough for me because I am an absolute sugar addict. Living in NYC also adds some unique challenges. Aside from everything being expensive as all hell, I can only take home from the grocery store what I can carry. I am hoping to take this on as a challenge to really plan out my weekly meals so I can take advantage of my resources. Not ordering lunch at work will also be tough as nothing really beats the convenience of Seamless, lol.

I already have a pretty active workout schedule in place but it isn't helping me shed the pounds. Hopefully this is going to do it for me. 80% of your progress is diet, right?

Best of luck to all of you who are taking on this challenge with me. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Best,

Abby

Hi! I too am doing the Whole30 program from NYC starting Jan 1. I agree it's tough eating clean & whole in the city especially when you've got a full & busy schedule. I am a Seamless junkie too! Not sure how close you are to Union Square but the Green Market (farmers market) runs all year long and is open Wed, Fri & Sat. I'll definitely be there on Sarurdays picking up fresh vegetables, fruit, meat & fish. If you get to know the different vendors, you can find ones that are affordable.

Good luck and lets root each other on!

I'm in NY too and am planning my 3rd whole30 for Jan 1.

I'm re-reading the book and have put all my daily emails from the first round into a folder ready for easy eaccess.

I work full time and have 2 kids, so I love my crockpot and a weekly cook up for easy meals during the week.

I look forward to getting to know you all over the nxt month or so

I'm starting today, Jan 1! I've attempted many times over the last 3 years and have never been able to make it all the way through. Not because of any cravings or not trying, I just kind of lose interest. I'm pretty whole30 compliant most of the time, almost always for breakfast and lunch and usually dinner. But I live in NYC and work in advertising so I end up drinking just about every day and go out to dinner a lot. This time I really want to commit so I can actually see the benefits before I drift back into my 70% compliant routine. Would love to have a support group to keep me accountable!

Hi Abby,

I also live in NYC and started my first Whole30 yesterday! It will definitely be a challenge in this city, as so much of my social life revolves around eating out and drinking. I understand the struggle with the groceries. I am thinking of doing a big shopping trip at Trader Joe's this weekend and just paying for the delivery.

Good luck everyone!

Amanda

Lucky to have a very good grocery store just a 5 min walk away. Pre-washed and pre-rinsed are my saviors! I just throw whatever veggies into a skillet with some ghee and boom! Mealtime in no time :-) 

Here's my leaning tower of veggies for some inspiration on your shopping journeys! 

1420154879256.jpg

I'm a Whole30 newbie in NYC, too. Day Two is in the books! Woot!

I ordered a lot of my produce via Fresh Direct. And, noticed a bunch of the Whole30 approved products (like omghee and Tessamae's dressings) are available at Whole Foods...which is now partnering with Instacart. Yessss! Totally saves on the lugging.

I'm having serious debates about a crockpot. Could be a lifesaver. Could be a space hog.

Go Us! (I miss wine.)

Archived