2nd attempt on Jan 2nd. Need help!

RememberMe

Hey everyone! I'm attempting my 2nd Whole 30 on Jan 2nd. I did one in November - and although I did almost perfect - I did break the rules a few times. So I'm planning on doing it 100% this time around. I'm going to give some info on my experience with Paleo and I'm hoping if anyone has any input - please give me some advice! Thanks!

I'm not overweight by any means but I have always had to watch what I eat and stay active to stay in a good weight range. I switched to about 80% Paleo lifestyle in May of this year - ditching processed foods altogether. I am very active with work and was a runner - about 3-4 days per week. I lost 5 pounds right away. I felt great and I felt like it was effortless. I was then hurt in a work accident and had to be in the hospital for 7 days. I then lost 10-15lbs in just a matter of a couple weeks. I saw numbers on the scale I had never seen before. I was not allowed to run or work for 3 months. I kept up with my 80% Paleo lifestyle, and about a month and 1/2 after my accident my weight started climbing back up  = 1-2lbs per week. Then got up and above my original weight before the accident. By this time I was back to running, started strength training, did a 95% Whole 30 in November and still have not lost a single pound. After the Whole30 in November I didn't lost any weight but did feel less bloated and my jeans fit better. When I took my measurements I had lost 0.5" off my waist - but that was it. I'm still currently eating 80-90% Paleo - as I feel great and really believe in the science. I have tracked what I eat - low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat macros, drink drink almost 0 calories, calorie range around 1400-1600/day, I sleep 11pm -7am, I do LISS and resistance training plus have a very active job. I do eat plenty. I am never hungry and if I am I eat- I have eggs/kale/spinach for breakfast, have protein + veggies for lunch and dinner. I follow all the rules of diet and exercise to get leaner - and it's not working. In the past I have been able to just clean up my diet a little bit and workout a little more - and boom - 5 lbs gone....this time - nothing. I was hoping someone could give me some words of advice/encouragement... like it's from the stress of the accident and one day your body will adjust - when? The accident was 5/31/14! To give numbers - prior to accident I was 125 - I'm 5'2". I liked that weight. My lowest was 113 after the accident and now I'm about 131. I'd say it's muscle - but my mid section is not lean by any means. I know it's more than numbers on the scale - but it's just so frustrating to work so hard and eat so well and not see results when everyone else seems to be getting them! 

Thanks for letting me vent!

Have you had any hormone tests done? Stress hormones like cortisol can impact your weightloss and can be present during injury healing and/or infections and even plain old stress.

If your cortisol is high, you may see a benefit from moving workouts to afternoons/evenings, when cortisol is naturally at it's lowest.

I'd really try and stay away from your scale for 30 days, the scale itself can be a source of stress and cortisol.

Hi! I am going to restart on January 1. I have done one Whole 30 and did lose weight and inches but got off track in both eating and exercising. I feel "puffy". My BMI has just edged over into overweight and I want to move it down to the lower levels of normal. So I'm cleaning out the fridge, giving up wine and will try to get back to walking a couple times a week...and avoiding my husband when he eats sweet and salty snacks.

I'm also a little tired of cooking. So I'm going to try real simple meals. I did just join a Facebook Whole30 recipe exchange group.

I like to bounce ideas and give and receive support. I hope we can help each other.

Mary

Thanks for the info and support. I have read a lot about Cortisol and am thinking maybe that's it, but I've never had it tested. I'm going to try my best this time to get more sleep. I do typically work out in the evening due to my work schedule. But honestly it's just whenever I can get it in. I'm not planning on going back to processed foods and I feel great eating Paleo. I just don't understand why it's so hard. I have lost weight before using Weight Watchers after my pregnant in 2010 - but that was calorie restricting and eating processed low calorie packaged foods - not doing that again! 

How did your first day go? Are you participating in the HUGE blog for Jan. 1 participants? It's a lot of emails and a lot of info.

Yesterday I spent time with family at a house that prepares all prepackaged food. I struggled until I asked if I could cook some frozen chicken. Ended up with slicing 3 chicken breasts, dusting with almond flour and braised in a little avocado oil. Paired this with boiling and mashing two tired heads of cauliflower and roasting 2 small sweet potatoes cut in half and drizzled with a little olive oil, s & p. This ended up feeding 4 adults and 2 children. Talk about loaves and fishes! (The children also had microwaveable Mac & cheese).

So -

B: 1/2 grilled naked pork chop, l/o mashed sweet potato, 2 clementines

L: strawberries, piece of turkey pulled out of a Costco sandwich

D: 1/3 chicken breast, 1/2 roasted sweet potato, 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower.

Successful first day!

I hope your day went well!

Mary

I agree that it sounds like it would be worth getting your hormones checked, RememberMe.  I did my first Whole 30 a couple years ago now and had NO success.  No weight or inches lost, no discernible difference in energy, nothing.  But, I started working with a nutritionist this past spring when I was feeling particularly negative about how I looked in the mirror;  she immediately zeroed in on my hormones and gave me some solutions to get them in check...and then she made me do another Whole 30 in August and WOW.  It was a completely different experience from my first time around.  I dropped a pants size, all of my shirts were baggy, and I felt amazing.  All of the things they talk about; glowing skin, better sleep, no more carpal tunnel symptoms, they all happened.  I backslid a little over the holidays, but I'm a true believer now, so I'm doing my 3rd Whole 30 starting today.  Can't wait to see what happens this time around. I hope yours goes better this time, too.

Good luck!

-Bertie

Archived